Game-Labs Forum

Planning of next updates

Nick Thomadis

About pre-dreadnoughts... I have some ideas about gun calibers. The HMS Victoria (1887) had 2*16.25" (413mm) guns. I know that the reload time is terrible, but I think it would be great if this BL 16.25 inch naval gun was in the game. Campaign is more important, but later this should be in the game.

1584536278-hms-benbow-forward-16-25-inch

Another point: Royal Sovereign-class pre-dreadnoughts had 13.5" (343mm) guns. I know, I know, we have 330mm guns in the game, but for historical accuracy this is also important to have in the game. 

1584536654-9c76f3545f043698696029770ff79

Again, these are not priority things, but for historical accuracy these would be good to have.

Edited by Marshall99
  • Like 6

I'd love to see some more of these wonderful pre-dreadnoughts. We've had a huge influx of modern hulls but I bought this game originally to play in the pre-dreadnought era. I really want to be able to build ships like the ACR1 USS Maine but at this point, heck just to be able to build en echelon style warships in general would be neat but given the trend of the last few patches I doubt I ever will. I don't think we'll see any really interesting or unique hulls like these, that doesn't seem to fit the idea the devs have for their game, and doesn't seen to fit the interests that the majority of the players on this forum want. Shame really. 

Edited by Fishyfish
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fishyfish said:

I'd love to see some more of these wonderful pre-dreadnoughts. We've had a huge influx of modern hulls but I bought this game originally to play in the pre-dreadnought era. I really want to be able to build ships like the ACR1 USS Maine but at this point, heck just to be able to build en echelon style warships in general would be neat but given the trend of the last few patches I doubt I ever will. I don't think we'll see any really interesting or unique hulls like these, that doesn't seem to fit the idea the devs have for their game, and doesn't seen to fit the interests that the majority of the players on this forum want. Shame really. 

Of course we will add more older ships. We just had to make the custom battle experience more complete, for all nations and eras. We are going to add plenty of new hulls for pre-dreadnought times.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Of course we will add more older ships. We just had to make the custom battle experience more complete, for all nations and eras. We are going to add plenty of new hulls for pre-dreadnought times.

I'd argue that a lot of the new hulls you've added are copy paste. Now sure, some of them have been unique and that's been nice even if they aren't ones that interest me exactly as I'm always glad to see new content, but I'd say that's only about half of them. 

In all honesty, I'd learn to 3D model to make hulls for this game if you guys ever release mod tools or instructions on how to do so. 

• Sad 1

Yes
if you want to stay consistent and realistic
you will have to focus the game towards the era of pre deadnought at the end of the 19th century where we must integrate the submarines for the beginning of the 20 th century and even the planes and their aircraft carriers which became the masters of the oceans during the second world war ...
otherwise the historical reality of your game will not hold ...
and I say that to be a positive and constructive criticism not a reproach! I love this game and hope for a campaign worthy of it!
sorry for my bad english .. (google trad!)

Edited by liaxelot

On 3/22/2020 at 7:35 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

Of course we will add more older ships. 

Nice to hear. Can game ships ever do reverse maneuver aka  "astern propulsion" ?

Edited by TAKTCOM
WAR FOR IMPROVEMENT

Ability to change "Mark" or in other words "Tech level" of armament on our ships would be nice.

For example: If we can use Mark 4 381mm gun, we can change it to the older versions like Mark 3 for more money that we can spend on something different.

• Like 3

On 3/20/2020 at 6:38 AM, Marshall99 said:

In my opinion we realy need them. For historical reasons, and for the fun factor also. 

+1 it would be nice to have some disruptive camouflage as well ... could be a nice asset to lower enemy accuracy and be cool as well

• Like 1

Just want to say to the developers: thank you for all the hard work.

I am thoroughly enjoying the game in this alpha stage and I'm pleased with the direction it is headed. Can't wait to eventually get my hands on the campaign, but I'm pleased to see that the focus for the foreseeable future is building up the art assets, fine-tuning combat mechanics, and enhancing the custom battle part of the game.

Edited by ThePlanner
  • Like 1

Rather than using names for Hull like "Modern Battleship II" it would be better to just use the names of the hulls that they are representing, like that: Queen Elizabeth Hull I , Queen Elizabeth Hull II , Yamato Hull I , South Dakota Hull I etc.

You already did that with N3/G3 Hull so why not do this with every hull in the game?

In case there are in the game some generic hulls, you could name them like that: Italian Battleship Hull I , Italian Battleship Hull II , Italian Battleship Hull III , Generic Battleship Hull I , Generic Battleship Hull II etc.

Edited by HusariuS
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, HusariuS said:

Rather than using names for Hull like "Modern Battleship II" it would be better to just use the names of the hulls that they are representing, like that: Queen Elizabeth Hull I , Queen Elizabeth Hull II , Yamato Hull I , South Dakota Hull I etc.

You already did that with N3/G3 Hull so why not do this with every hull in the game?

In case there are in the game some generic hulls, you could name them like that: Italian Battleship Hull I , Italian Battleship Hull II , Italian Battleship Hull III , Generic Battleship Hull I , Generic Battleship Hull II etc.

Ye, you could also assign certain ship modules to the more 'unique hulls' or when selecting a hull it comes up with another section saying Unique/Historical and Generic/Other, So that the game can assign unique modules and doodads to certain hulls that you can't get on the generic hulls but with the generic hulls you get a large range of stuff to put on them (i guess you could also have generic stuff on the unique hulls, but not as much compared to the regular generic hulls.).

That way it makes it easier what you want and what to expect from them. I think also when you select a hull for example Generic Supercruiser hull 2. you get a bunch of other hulls related to that one that you can pick for aesthetic or maybe statistical reasons.

I really liek your idea doe, hope it gets featured soon lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Nick Thomadis
Would it be possible to have the campaign feature land battles like in age of sail?
I really loved that aspect were you could do amphibious attacks and actually be more than clunky ship.
So far Age of sail is the only game which has done it so well that i am amazed how has no one else thought this before.
With planes they could be few times usable strikes or time based boost like recon flights or preliminary bombing.
Time based fighter protection and harassment. The land battles simply has to be there. MG nest can be treated as small artillery which is mobile as infantry and real arty well as real arty.
Land troops will behave as usual and instead of animating them in box formation you could go with skirmishers formations and "say that they are taking cover". please keep the "kill them all there" It just gives small smile to the face. The voice actor did say that line in a nice way. (gentleman way).

Land battles and naval battles massive plus.
Transport ships and convoys +
Aviation recon support for AI army elements+ (why not)
Aviation recon to get more missions or to find fleets to engage.
Individual land battles for marine corps or simply to give perspective of the historical event. The end result would affect the future positive or negative (massive + if possible)
Additional mission if previous mission was completed with extra objectives. (loved that in age of sail. Really hard convoy raid mission with 3rd rate ship of the line)
Possibility to salvage a abandoned ship as whole or elements of it to improve research. +
Captives from sank ships+
Army captives gives weapons to the stockpile which can be sold. (dead as well)+
Ship skills as the crew gets better+

Having land battles and naval battles together and depending on the victory. The result can and should affect the nations war effort = your budget and research.
These would affect your nations ideology. Crushing your opponent too often may lead to research efforts dwindle due to "arrogance" or turn your nation from neutral to fascist.
Pyrrhic victories and constant heavy losses = low recruit numbers and possibility to have communist state to compensate the lack of recruits
Assisting allies and forging unions = democratic state.
Nations head can be also monarchy or elected (the admiral / genera/ rng?).

Prestige could be used to prioritize research to get them faster.
To gain more recruits.
To increase ship building capacity (propaganda)
Or to boost slightly your nations stability.

The age of sail format should be applied to this games campaign at least some elements of it.
Also one wish that affects the officers any kind to be. Why doesn't the officers also gain skill/ buffs like the regular troops?
(ALSO were is the musics!?!? I can't play that game with out really falling a sleep - - -)

I know this is a very very long list and text wall and i thank you for reading it.
I do hope the game will adopt or have some age of sails elements.
I can't wait to see the campaign 

Cheers,
Illya 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluishdoor76 said:

When can we expect to get some of those iconic Japanese styled towers, Ise, Nagato, Kongo and what in my opinion is the most iconic and coolest looking Fuso

Oh yea! Absolutely agree. We need these modern towers, but I would love to see the original towers too.

1585512041-2vjvu13.jpg

1585512046-e2bf879850945bd205b53185cbb44

I like the original designs and the modernized versions too. A piece of history.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this thread is still being utilized, but I'll throw my two cents here.

Having an extension to the dreadnought era feels almost like a must. Even if it's only later down the line, a 5 or 10 year extension back could make the later dreadnoughts feel like that much more of a technical leap. And while pushing it (especially since all it was was the topic of an April fools mission) Having a situation where even ironclads could be prevalent, even if only the last of their classes, could be another chance for the player to experience a massive leap in technology.

The only other major thing that could be improved is maybe breaking up the main towers somewhat. Make it a more modular situation of being able to add different pieces together to let the player have more freedom with their designs. like being able to chose if there are mounts for funnels, secondary guns, maybe even a barbette for main gun,etc. At the moment many of the current towers just feel like they tend to restrict the player, making them design a ship far from what they otherwise might have done if they had more ability to change it around to their liking.

• Like 6