Game-Labs Forum

Planning of next updates

Nick Thomadis

I really hope the devs eventually make like custom hulls that are perhaps a little weird to allow interesting designs. I like giving early cruisers in RTW 2 a heavy secondary battery of 7 or 8 inches in casemates while using 9 or 10 inches for the main guns. They're very expensive but also very effective against cruisers and not too bad generally against pre-dreads. 2 of them sank a pre-dreadnought outright by themselves in one battle. I'd like to make that kind of ship in this game, and possibly other weird ships and I can't right now. So yeah I hope at some point the devs move away from historical hulls and make custom ones based off of historical ones I guess. In this case all you need to do is just put in a spot for large casemates on a CA hull, there are non currently, which isn't too hard probably. 

• Like 2

I'd say let's worry about getting "3D RTW" or "Distant Guns or Jutland with good UI" right before we start worrying about adding carriers, aircraft and who knows what else. 

Ships and their associated systems and models (firepower, protection, mobility) aren't really done yet and people are clamoring for aircraft! Look at Task Force Admiral if you want an idea of how big an ask that is, and they are modelling one navy, in one theatre, with no designing ships, over a time span that doesn't even cover the whole war.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, DougToss said:

I'd say let's worry about getting "3D RTW" or "Distant Guns or Jutland with good UI" right before we start worrying about adding carriers, aircraft and who knows what else. 

Ships and their associated systems and models (firepower, protection, mobility) aren't really done yet and people are clamoring for aircraft! Look at Task Force Admiral if you want an idea of how big an ask that is, and they are modelling one navy, in one theatre, with no designing ships, over a time span that doesn't even cover the whole war.

I imagine any carriers and aircraft system would be way simpler than what Task Force Admiral is going for. They're going pretty hard with that game. But yeah this is definitely a years down the line thing. I've just been thinking about it as RTW 1 vs RTW 2. This is RTW 1 and in the future we'll get a RTW 2-esque sequel that adds in aircraft and carriers and other stuff too.

For my last post I'm curious were there any historical cruisers that had heavy secondaries that they could use to make such a hull that I want in that specific scenario?

Is there a possibility of unused weapon points being removed from the model when in game?  Lots of empty casemates and secondary spots.  It would  look good if the game could "fill in" those areas to make them look more natural.

• Like 11

On 6/5/2020 at 11:39 PM, Sonar said:

Is there a possibility of unused weapon points being removed from the model when in game?  Lots of empty casemates and secondary spots.  It would  look good if the game could "fill in" those areas to make them look more natural.

Made the same comment a long time ago. I hope those empty casemate spots can be removed to form an intact hull. That way even older hull designs can still remain useful.

Edited by Tycondero
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Stupid question:

is there any kind of roadmap? I think I heard campaign is next - but what is the plan for this promising game going forward? 

Also: how often are we seeing major updates here (again maybe a stupid question - just joined fresh)?

Updates have been averaging 5-8 weeks.

Have not seen a thorough road map, but there have been posts by developers indicating that the campaign will be in the next one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alcar said:

Have not seen a thorough road map, but there have been posts by developers indicating that the campaign will be in the next one.

Cheers mate + thanks

Would be nice if they would and allow the community to comment on the plans. However that can be a double edged sword as well if players divert too much into “I want my subs now” before the vote game components are really in a somewhat mature state.

I would love to see the first version of the campaign and afterwards a  second phase of the ship designer with a bit more freedom and more part to build more varied designs 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Cheers mate + thanks

Would be nice if they would and allow the community to comment on the plans. However that can be a double edged sword as well if players divert too much into “I want my subs now” before the vote game components are really in a somewhat mature state.

I would love to see the first version of the campaign and afterwards a  second phase of the ship designer with a bit more freedom and more part to build more varied designs 

Yeah, i wouldn't mind a roadmap, but due to the small team it could backfire if peeps start spamming stuff or demanding certain things to change or be removed. I think the navy academy missions are getting a rebalance for example the super us and design your onw H class ship missions the enemies wont run away (soo annoying when your so close and run out of ammo).

Alpha 7 will be the biggest update since Alpha 5.

Its been just over a month now, so could be another 2 weeks before we hear anything about alpha 7 maybe less or more.

6 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Yeah, i wouldn't mind a roadmap, but due to the small team it could backfire if peeps start spamming stuff or demanding certain things to change or be removed. I think the navy academy missions are getting a rebalance for example the super us and design your onw H class ship missions the enemies wont run away (soo annoying when your so close and run out of ammo).

Alpha 7 will be the biggest update since Alpha 5.

Its been just over a month now, so could be another 2 weeks before we hear anything about alpha 7 maybe less or more.

True enough - so maybe we don’t need a roadmap. 

Wow - Alpha 7 will be my first update here - I am kind of excited!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

True enough - so maybe we don’t need a roadmap. 

I guess it would be kinda hard to do, games like fallout are easier since its entirely a fictional world so you can just shove anything into it (well still has to make sense to the established lore but still).

3 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Wow - Alpha 7 will be my first update here - I am kind of excited!

This will be my seventh but im excited, because if its true it will be the first time the campaign is playable and the second time its been revealed (got leaked back in alpha 2 a bit along with quad turrets as well by someone lol).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

This will be my seventh but im excited, because if its true it will be the first time the campaign is playable and the second time its been revealed (got leaked back in alpha 2 a bit along with quad turrets as well by someone lol).

Would love to see screenshots of the campaign map!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cptbarney said:

its true it will be the first time the campaign is playable and the second time its been revealed (got leaked back in alpha 2 a bit along with quad turrets as well by someone lol).

Yea the campaign would be the heart of the game for me - combined with the ship designer. 

I am not too much into this custom battle thingy but I appreciate it is there as some sort of tutorial / single mission part 

• Like 2

@Alcar @1MajorKoenig Yeah i thought i remembered it. It's one screenie dunno if there was more posted but its just the tech tree atm.

Go to page 5 and post 16 if it doesnt take you to the post directly, but this was around 7 months ago if not longer so its been awhile since we saw anything about the campaign at all.

Also omg just saw quad secondaries yes bloody pls. By now this has probs changed entirely if not massively anyways.

Havent seen an actual map posted yet so far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alcar said:

Something along the lines of 40.5 days with very consistant results.

I calculated it a while back.

3 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

@Alcar @1MajorKoenig Yeah i thought i remembered it. It's one screenie dunno if there was more posted but its just the tech tree atm.

Go to page 5 and post 16 if it doesnt take you to the post directly, but this was around 7 months ago if not longer so its been awhile since we saw anything about the campaign at all.

Also omg just saw quad secondaries yes bloody pls. By now this has probs changed entirely if not massively anyways.

Havent seen an actual map posted yet so far.

Thanks that looks like a technology tree to me? Nice to see we should be able to customize our side by emphasizing certain aspects. Such as reload, etc.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Thanks that looks like a technology tree to me? Nice to see we should be able to customize our side by emphasizing certain aspects. Such as reload, etc.

Yeah, think i saw politics as well and two other tabs. Kinda wish a few more images existed then we could have a nice comparison between the alpha 1 version and the alpha 7 (surpossedly) release.

52 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Yeah, think i saw politics as well and two other tabs. Kinda wish a few more images existed then we could have a nice comparison between the alpha 1 version and the alpha 7 (surpossedly) release.

Sure - but looks reasonable. I wonder if they let us build harbours or if harbours will have different capacity? Remember the Stormeagles Jutland game when you had some smaller bases only suitable for Torpedo boats - which forced the player to use them? That wasn’t a bad idea - but first of all I am curious if we will be able to manage task groups or if the AI puts you in battles randomly (like apparently in RTW - never played that game though)?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Sure - but looks reasonable. I wonder if they let us build harbours or if harbours will have different capacity? Remember the Stormeagles Jutland game when you had some smaller bases only suitable for Torpedo boats - which forced the player to use them? That wasn’t a bad idea - but first of all I am curious if we will be able to manage task groups or if the AI puts you in battles randomly (like apparently in RTW - never played that game though)?

Harbours should run in a similar way to RTW's so you start of with some tonnage then upgrade it or at least thats what i think anyways. Never played any other naval game but dis and world of dankships 😅

Think battles are random, but i would of prefered a total war system where you move your fleets to different locations on the map per turn and watch them move about.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 2:36 PM, Cptbarney said:

Never played any other naval game but dis and world of dankships 😅

This might be a good time to try Naval Campaigns, Steam and Iron, Distant Guns, Jutland or Rule the Waves. Those are much more in line with what @Nick Thomadis has stated this project is setting out to be. On top of being very enjoyable, they will help you learn about how naval warfare works, and how it has been simulated. 

Edited by DougToss
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, DougToss said:

This might be a good time to try Naval Campaigns, Steam and Iron, Distant Guns, Jutland or Rule the Waves. Those are much more in line with what @Nick Thomadis has stated this project is setting out to be. On top of being very enjoyable, they will help you learn about how naval warfare works, and how it has been simulated. 

Ill have to do that when i get a new pc, mine has a gpu thats 7-8 years old now. Hope this doesn't effect this game too much, in terms of licensing.

3 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Ill have to do that when i get a new pc, mine has a gpu thats 7-8 years old now. Hope this doesn't effect this game too much, in terms of licensing.

So long as you saved the email sent when you got the game you should be able to install the launcher on your new computer and play it on there.

• Like 1