Game-Labs Forum

ROE Again

OjK

Yet again, problem with Rules of Engagement.

If attacker side is lower BR than defender, shouldn't the battle be closed after regular initial period?

Why over 10 minutes after the battle should be closed alread, on 600v700 setting, the battle was still visible in OW, and allowed other player to join my side?

unknown.png?width=1202&height=677

EDIT: Ooops, looks like accidentaly posted in Tribunal instead of Support. @Ink please fix!

Edited by OjK

3 minutes ago, OjK said:

Yet again, problem with Rules of Engagement.

If attacker side is lower BR than defender, shouldn't the battle be closed after regular initial period?

It doesnt matter who the attacker is. If one side has a BR (I think 13%) lower, that side can be reinforced. 

15 minutes ago, Farrago said:

It doesnt matter who the attacker is. If one side has a BR (I think 13%) lower, that side can be reinforced.  

Look at the in battle timer: 1:16:28
If I am not gravely mistaken battle timer starts at 1:50:00. 1:30:00... duh...
Current RoE has been stated as such: The side with lower BR at a difference of more than 13% can be reinforced for 20 minutes after the battle started.
See here:

The battle shown above had been going on for well over 30 under 20 minutes. So it should be closed no matter the BR difference. open

Edited by Tom Farseer

I destinctly remember people telling me OW battle timers as "1:49:15" and some such when giving me pointers on whether I can join before the battle (on roughly even BR) closes. <<- faaaaaaaaaaail

EDIT: Whoops my mistake. Battle obviously starts at 1:30:00
So, dear @OjK, the battle would have closed at 1:10:00 and not earlier^^

Edited by Tom Farseer

Well, that's fine then.

But that's just another problem with so much stuff given in random places in forums, and having really "scrimpy" patch notes.

I'm 99% sure, that during the discussion on forums, admin said that You have to be prepare for battles were attacking side with smaller BR can't be reinforced.
Looks like it never actually made into patch notes after all.

Not giving attackers the 20 minutes to reinforce was advocated by players a lot to not make bait-ganking as easy. But it was never implemented. Dev response usually was something along the lines of "RoE is final. Live with it."

Well, here I can see completely different problem.

My idea was to attack stronger target, get battle closed and just play it out, as after 2 minutes it won't be visible in OW.
If every battle NOT within 13% is visible for 20 minutes, it's like a huge mark on OW saying "COME HERE AND GANK ME WHEN I'M FINISHED!"

Which after all will make me just even more restricting with picking up targets...

Edited by OjK

17 minutes ago, OjK said:

Well, that's fine then.

But that's just another problem with so much stuff given in random places in forums, and having really "scrimpy" patch notes.

I'm 99% sure, that during the discussion on forums, admin said that You have to be prepare for battles were attacking side with smaller BR can't be reinforced.
Looks like it never actually made into patch notes after all.

he said it a long time ago, that the battle is open for lower br side for 20 mins if it doesent go inside 13% difference in br, no matter if you are attacker or defender.

However i disagree with this RoE, while being on both sides of a gank its annoying because you cant predict whats gonna show up and i mean the 2 min timer was perfect

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Liberalism said:

Another correction, battles don't close exactly at 1:xx:00 time, because you have inital battle preparation timer that does not start the initial countdown of 1:30:00. This creates tons of confusion on close time. Hence:

true, you have to include the countdown timer until battle starts inside the instance which is 30? seconds so the battle is infact 1:30:30

These pointless support and tribunal topics about the ROE are getting a bit repetitive. We should all know how it works by now, the Devs obviously know how it works. If people still feel the need to post/complain about the ROE, maybe move to the suggestions topic.

• Battles close at 1:28:45 on the battle timer if the BR is within 13%.
  • Battles close after 20 minutes if the BR is not within 13%.
  • Pirates can join both sides of the same battle, if the battle was started between two nations that are not pirate.

Easy enough to remember, it can all be written in 3 lines. In this specific case 1 - (600/700) = 14.2% > 13% hence battle is not closed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OHHHH not again ??

perhaps a tracker is needed  what tells what is possible.  open or not open for enemies .

closed or not closed in ow 

Edited by Thonys

Also, if the fact is battle going to be visible in OW depends on some artificial 13% value, how about we get the AI fleet total BR value visible?

How can I know will the battle be visible in OW if I see f.e. only "2 Medium Ships in Fleet" where the span of it's BR could be from 400 to 100 BR points?

Edited by OjK

@--Privateer-- even handfull of veterans who visit the forum are still asking questions about ROE, think about remaining thousands who has no idea about roe and the forum.

ROE rules should should be visible in all battles. Information of which side open/closed etc. @admin possible to implement? 

Edited by AeRoTR

22 minutes ago, OjK said:

some artificial 13% value,

I'm not so sure you should count on that 13% value as being useful.  I tagged a Pandora in my Herc (me - 110BR v Panda - 100BR).  After 5 minutes, an enemy Trinco appeared.  I would have thought the battle would have been closed, but that was not the case.

Even more confusing with the solo patrol ROEs about what class can duel what, and why sometimes peoples can still join a fight in the solo zone ?

For the OW ROE, i think privateer summed it up well. Having to keep in mind the br of each ship + lack of fleets br info, makes things quite a hassle

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec

Main problem is 13%. Who came up with that number? Why not make it 10% so that we all schooled in metric system can easy and fast calculate it in our head? 13 is such a weird number.

2 hours ago, --Privateer-- said:

These pointless support and tribunal topics about the ROE are getting a bit repetitive. We should all know how it works by now, the Devs obviously know how it works. If people still feel the need to post/complain about the ROE, maybe move to the suggestions topic.

• Pirates can join both sides of the same battle, if the battle was started between two nations that are not pirate.

Easy enough to remember, it can all be written in 3 lines. In this specific case 1 - (600/700) = 14.2% > 13% hence battle is not closed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You may feel that it is simple, but there is no ready indication what the percentage difference in BR is without doing the calculation. There is no indication either in the battle what the status is of the battle in OW, is it still open and which side is it open to? Even the BR check they added when you press tab does not give the true value of the BR because as ships are sunk that BR changes in battle, but in OW it remains the same as when the battle started.

So it is not so simple and it still causes confusion for many players.

2 hours ago, --Privateer-- said:

How do you think which battle will opened:

1. Pandora (BR100) attack Niagara without full crew (BR 88)
  2. Niagara without full crew (BR 88) attack Pandora (BR100)
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, qw569 said:

How do you think which battle will opened:

1. Pandora (BR100) attack Niagara without full crew (BR 88)
  2. Niagara without full crew (BR 88) attack Pandora (BR100)

it doesent work like that, if he has 50% crew on the ship undocks but has 1000 crew total the ship will still have full BR, atleast it was like this before. Cool though if that would mean you could undercrew a 1st rate to have lower br

Edited by Guest

Just now, Snoopy said:

An indication when a battle is closed would be nice.. also better tooltips, for instance it's not obvious that second rates are not eligible for the dmg count in patrol zones.

They normally do.

It's only Leogane and La Mona, where they don't count, as it is cosidered "Frigate Patrol"

And no, don't ask me why Agamemnon and other 4th rates are eligible for Frigate Patrol, despite they can't be consider Frigate.

24 minutes ago, OjK said:

They normally do.

It's only Leogane and La Mona, where they don't count, as it is cosidered "Frigate Patrol"

And no, don't ask me why Agamemnon and other 4th rates are eligible for Frigate Patrol, despite they can't be consider Frigate.

That's what I mean :)

6 hours ago, Wyy said:

he said it a long time ago, that the battle is open for lower br side for 20 mins if it doesent go inside 13% difference in br, no matter if you are attacker or defender.

However i disagree with this RoE, while being on both sides of a gank its annoying because you cant predict whats gonna show up and i mean the 2 min timer was perfect

A question came up last night when ships that tried to join a new OW battle within the 2 minute limit were locked out. Has the 2 minute time when a new battle is open for all still the same? Or has it been changed?

1 hour ago, Preechur Blackheart said:

A question came up last night when ships that tried to join a new OW battle within the 2 minute limit were locked out. Has the 2 minute time when a new battle is open for all still the same? Or has it been changed?

do you remember what the time in battle was when they tried to enter?

Edited by Teutonic