Game-Labs Forum

War server player stats.

3 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

All they do is farm the easy targets and not fight each other.

Hmm... You're not wrong.

But look at it this way: Yesterday (or was it saturday...?) Me and laik smashed an easy target outside tortue because he was unlucky enough to be there at the same time we were. Later I did a solo leeward island run and smashed a probable bonafide new player. If we still had duel room me and Laik would've spent most of that day in there. It's not so much that good players don't want to fight eachother, but it's simply a hassle to do.

2 minutes ago, jodgi said:

but it's simply a hassle to do

seriously? what stops you from just hopping into the same free town, sail out a bit so you don't get jumped and have a go at each other? we did that against some poles several times. Only hassle was find enough players for larger fleet engagements. 1v1s sould take almost no time once you both are set up in a mutual free port.

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

Who knows, but blaming the community for the game’s struggles is never a good bet (see recent Steam Reviews).

but he is right. If people give a game they play a bad review because they are pissed about something they cannot complain about lack of players. You cannot say naval action deserves a 43% rating. Thats a joke. Objectively speaking its a 70% minimum in my opinion. Higher if some of the rvr issues are resolved. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Hmm... You're not wrong.

But look at it this way: Yesterday (or was it saturday...?) Me and laik smashed an easy target outside tortue because he was unlucky enough to be there at the same time we were. Later I did a solo leeward island run and smashed a probable bonafide new player. If we still had duel room me and Laik would've spent most of that day in there. It's not so much that good players don't want to fight eachother, but it's simply a hassle to do.

While some people would use the room, but what I'm talking about are the guys that farm capital and noobs/casuals.  Something I have never seen you do on a whole.   So wasn't talking about catching a random player or two.  We are talking about the guys that spend every night killing easy targets cause they can.   Guys that than complain there is no RvR while they sit side by side with others from other nations and not attack each other.   Those are the guys that are bad for the game.   They won't use the duel room.  Duel room would more likely take off the good PvPers from the OW and leaving less to defend the average players from the hard core PvPers/Gankers/Farmers.

• Like 2

Well there is a reason US conquest has really never gotten further than the Bahamas basically.

A simple experiment might be to give the US a small uncapturable "Colony" somewhere on the map (like the Brits have Belize)...

Regardless, it would be beneficial to the game to have a stronger US player base.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, admin said:

There is a very strange dynamic that US players buy majority of copies but do not play.
It could be explained by the placebo - players buy the game, go into the game or forums, hear the whining and leave, which leaves the US timezone in a perpetual state of flux.

Possibly.  On the other hand I bought this game (US player) because I was intrigued by the age of sail.  I got hooked (last spring) by a player-to-player economy.  Which is why I am waiting around for the updates.

I play games because I like them.  I stop playing because I don't.  I never went anywhere near user forums for any of them until I had to sort out the mechanics of how to play THIS game.

If Steam allows it, the only way to actually know this answer to this question is with actual customer surveys.  Self-generated online reviews (weighted toward the crabby customer) and the relatively small numbers that post in these forums aren't really going to give you a meaningful answer to that question.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Well there is a reason US conquest has really never gotten further than the Bahamas basically.

A simple experiment might be to give the US a small uncapturable "Colony" somewhere on the map (like the Brits have Belize)...

Regardless, it would be beneficial to the game to have a stronger US player base.

5 nations farming your front door kinda kills being able to do anything.  That and it seems any time the US gets a bit of a foot hold the EU nations gang bang them back into corner.  I been to so many port battles that had multi nations out side screening for a nation that could handle there own to keep us out of the fight.   I mean how many times have Prussians and Pirates been out side a French portbatlle or one of the other ways.  We might of guy a little help once in a while from Spanish or Russian, but most the time it was to far away or out of there time zones.  Hell we even have Dutch up on our coast.  Toss in the rogue swedish, spanish, Russian (back when Rax was russian) and dans.  Really if you want to help the US...>THE OFF THE COAST AND FIGHT SOME ONE ELSE<  Or actually help them instead of helping the other nations.  It doesn't seem like French needed ya'lls help all that time cause they sure aren't hurting for ports.

I would add GB to that but they ran as soon as we pushed against them in the Bahamas and kinda ran when we pushed down south.   

US also lost some of it's very important ports at times it was hurting and never gotten them back.  If some one wanted to actually help the US grow again they would pull out of any ports above Cabo Carnaval to allow them to have resources and a place to grow, but hay what do I know, only been in that nation for almost a year now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rediii said:

I cant remember that the US ever had a real portbattlefleet except when 7up changed nation from dutch to US TBH

You have to go all the way back to the TF/TDA/SG days....

And even then most everyone in those clans were more interested in open world PvP instead of RvR...

Sitting at Bimini all grouped up while scouts tried to figure out which flag was real sucked after about the 10th night in a row...lol

21 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

As an American, I do find this VERY strange....  

I've often wondered why the US player base has dwindled so much while many others (Spain/France) has fluctuated but more or less evened out.  

My personal opinion is that its a combination of map position and bad luck in leadership.

It's completely understandable that a US player wants to sail under his own flag, but then they get massacred it the top left corner of the map and cant get out.  Devs would be doing the Yanks amongst us a great favour if they gave them a more central area of uncapturable ports.  Texas?  US Virgins?  I know it's not historic, but there are a lot of potential players in the USA who just won't play with the current state of the map.  I have avoided playing that nation mainly because of their map location.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom Farseer said:

what stops you from just hopping into the same free town

We both play in the same faction. We would have to find a fighting bot to demast before getting it on.

You're right, tho. Just hit up someone on chat, arrange to get suitable ships there which can take time depending on tow availability and have at it. Should be fairly easy.

I've done it quite a lot in the past and I see people occationally arrange OW duels. But it can be a hassle with distances, tap out rules discussion and some people fuss over the risk of being interrupted. Then there is the cost in cash or time to get ships ready. Shouldn't be so hard but in my experience people perceive it as "hard".

People wouldn't ask for training or duel rooms if they perceived setting it up in OW as a truly "no sweat" deal.

54 minutes ago, admin said:

Here is the data from the partial wipe until last week for the War Server. 

Good, thnx for the info, but where is the point in this if you are not giving all the info?

56 minutes ago, admin said:

number of deaths includes all deaths pve and pvp - which means pve is not dangerous at all on the war server

And this, dude, why are you telling this to us when you are showing the people that have MOST KILLS? most of the people that is in the chart are veterans that know the spots both for PVP/PVE.

There are a lot of ports around the map where big fleets arrive, you can stay there for hours and kill them with 0 risk. Like @Sir Texas Sir said, we should have the TOP DEATHS list in order to prove this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

5 nations farming your front door kinda kills being able to do anything.  That and it seems any time the US gets a bit of a foot hold the EU nations gang bang them back into corner.  I been to so many port battles that had multi nations out side screening for a nation that could handle there own to keep us out of the fight.   I mean how many times have Prussians and Pirates been out side a French portbatlle or one of the other ways.  We might of guy a little help once in a while from Spanish or Russian, but most the time it was to far away or out of there time zones.  Hell we even have Dutch up on our coast.  Toss in the rogue swedish, spanish, Russian (back when Rax was russian) and dans.  Really if you want to help the US...>THE OFF THE COAST AND FIGHT SOME ONE ELSE<  Or actually help them instead of helping the other nations.  It doesn't seem like French needed ya'lls help all that time cause they sure aren't hurting for ports.

I would add GB to that but they ran as soon as we pushed against them in the Bahamas and kinda ran when we pushed down south.   

US also lost some of it's very important ports at times it was hurting and never gotten them back.  If some one wanted to actually help the US grow again they would pull out of any ports above Cabo Carnaval to allow them to have resources and a place to grow, but hay what do I know, only been in that nation for almost a year now.

See, here's what you're not seeming to understand...

This has happened to the US probably 3/4 times over the past few years.  You're currently experiencing the NEWEST version.

Having lived through being one-ported, the remaining US players that are still around from when we went through it learned to live out of free-ports as basically pirates (I prefer Privateer, but whatever). 

Again, the question is WHY this happens.  I happen to agree with you that US players need an addition route to the rest of the map that isnt so easily blockaded (i.e. the US coastline).

I agree that ANY attempt to sail from the US coast to anywhere on the map is harder for the US players than it is for really any other nation.

Hence my suggestion of an experiment with an additional US starting point.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jodgi said:

We both play in the same faction. We would have to find a fighting bot to demast before getting it on.

You're right, tho. Just hit up someone on chat, arrange to get suitable ships there which can take time depending on tow availability and have at it. Should be fairly easy.

I've done it quite a lot in the past and I see people occationally arrange OW duels. But it can be a hassle with distances, tap out rules discussion and some people fuss over the risk of being interrupted. Then there is the cost in cash or time to get ships ready. Shouldn't be so hard but in my experience people perceive it as "hard".

People wouldn't ask for training or duel rooms if they perceived setting it up in OW as a truly "no sweat" deal.

We both know (and hate the fact) that its not the ships that people are afraid of losing most of the time....

1 minute ago, rediii said:

I watched a few portbattles of the US and the mainproblem is probably the lack of skilled pvp players that show US players how to play the game in pvp TBH. 

90% of the playerbase doesn't understand basic rules of NA by the way

Most of the skilled players get tired of loosing fights and go to other nations.  Most the time to beat on the players left in the US nation for the easy kills.  US is honestly a nation made up of mainly Casual players and noobs.  They do have a very big rotating door of new players, but many of them get tired of being farmed to death and stop playing or go to other nations.  I'm still catching guys that played the game over a year now that don't have a clue how to manual sale and get beaten to bits by AI, but some of them that is all they want, to play with AI and maybe get into some RvR/PvP on the side when they have the free time.  They don't want to be forced to do it daily.  Other wise if all they wanted was PvE they would be on the other server, but they don't want PvP 24/7.

@Vernon Merrill Other than Drax and one or two other players I don't think any others are left from that long ago in the US.  Most of the players from the last year where either new or from Global.   

• Like 2

I think the US has the same problem GB once had, and the Spanish are currently suffering from as well. They are depicted as "easy" nations meaning they attract players that will most likely be less motivated to really get into the details and learn their stuff. Unless they come from a sailing background even the "basics" are not self-evident.

Shortly after I joined the game, the British RvR Fleet collapsed with the leaving of EXILE and several other good PvPers to other Nations due to excessive bickering amongst certain clans. Shortly after that HAVOC nicked quite a few of the remaining capabable PvPers. While we still had some players of quality, and some that were starting to get better and taking up the slack a bit, we basically got our teeth kicked in for a time. The largest part of our nation's (by comparison) extensive playerbase was useless for PvP/RvR engagements due to lack of either training or interest or both. The newbies joining and choosing GB because it was depicted as an "easy" nation got slaughtered en masse in front of KPR and Belize. My guess is a lot of those became mainly inactive after a time.

Spain lost most of it's experienced players recently after taking heavy losses against GBs current RvR roster. At least they have the benefits of two "safe" zones both of which are more than one port.

US suffers the same circumstances with the added problematic that their only R-Zone has a capturable port right in it's middle and lot's of ex-US players seem to like clubbing seals up there. (that last part is hearsay, can't know for sure as it's usually not my time zone and active area of the map).

Edited by Tom Farseer
  • Like 2

@admin if I stand in a fire with an ICE block on my head I would in average be fine. Numbers are only so much worth as the person thats knows how to use them. 

You can pull all the numbers and try to understand them. But in the end it dosent matter much. What matter is what ppl. think and feel. Try to make a survey on that insted. 

I am one of those guys that are less impressed with the latest turn in the game. But by that said I understand you need to segment the game. You can not make a game thats make everybody happy. Thats ok, because if you try, you would end up with nobody being happy.

I just think you should stay by your conviction and not with those numbers AS I see it, try to paint a picture.

Edited by staun

34 minutes ago, rediii said:

I cant remember that the US ever had a real portbattlefleet except when 7up changed nation from dutch to US TBH

Daytime EU fleet no.  US prime time you guys were so scared of the US that you got us exiled to a new server 🙂

—-

The US is a starting / filler nation.  All the good new players who manage to tough it out long enough to become vets end up leaving to another nation.  The US location is remote, making trading elsewhere on the map difficult. The location also makes it hard for other nations to keep ganking in check.  KPR is heavily ganked as well, but the nations fight each other outside it whereas up on the US coast it’s everyone vs them.  Nothing keeps the wolves in check.   

Up until recently GB was a filler nation too, but still had enough internal mass to get things done   US doesn’t have that luxury.  

The biggest issue however is time zone.  Majority of the action happens before US players log on and there aren’t enough of us to be on our own server.  I remember back in the East vs West alliance days we would have 2-3-4 battles a day and I’d usually be the only US nation player in any of them.  Unlike those days there might be more US time zone players on in other nations at night than in the actual nation.

Anyway.  US will never get it’s act together.  Sometimes I feel like they should just be removed and it’s players forced to filter into other nations.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, admin said:

PvP Kills 

NlIfyZh.png

Dear @admin, maybe you can check competitive skill based PvP game K/D ratios to compare to your game before you start making any announcements.

K/D 2.0 is very good in competitive PvP. If you fight vs equally good opponents your K/D is at 1.0. If good players kill nubs on public server maybe something like  K/D 6.0? If skill difference is very high and they kill nubs gear does not matter that much.

Now check K/D ratios from your game. Ask from yourself why every good PvP player left your game? Ask if it maybe, just maybe, like really MAYBE, there is something to learn and maybe something to fix in Naval Action?

Thing is that competitive pvp games dont have a open world but a matching system which is making sure you have balanced fights. you cant have that in a open world game

I'm ok with that as long as people admit they are doing it for the easy marks. 

Thing is that competitive pvp games dont have a open world but a matching system which is making sure you have balanced fights. you cant have that in a open world game

This only says that if you have very high KD ratio you have been ganking or sinking nubs?

Just now, Cmdr RideZ said:

This only says that if you have very high KD ratio you have been ganking or sinking nubs?

Some are, some aren't. Some guys and gals live and die only for the PvP Zones. They constantly fight there.

Others live and die for the sake of plunder, whatever form it comes.

Others just want port battles conquest.

Being open ended world anyone can do as they please, and the only way to stop them is for yourself to sail out and kill them.

Let's not transform this nice set of data into a witch hunt to prove game design theories. :) 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Some are, some aren't. Some guys and gals live and die only for the PvP Zones. They constantly fight there.

Being open ended world anyone can do as they please, and the only way to stop them is for yourself to sail out and kill them.

Let's not transform this nice set of data into a witch hunt to prove game design theories. :) 

Liq has been multiple times asking balanced RoE for Patrol Zones. I have understood that your PvP Zones have been gank zones.

None is fighting even fights, the game is what it is.

You are saying that raw factual data should not be used to improve the game?

Edited by Cmdr RideZ