Game-Labs Forum

TESTBED - Port User Interface Feedback.

1 hour ago, Lovec1990 said:

Nope this would be simply bad, and completly unrealistic

Tossing stuff (including guns) over the side to increase speed is very realistic.  Not so for refits though.  A "refit" requires dockyard assistance and cannot easily be removed at sea.  Unless you want devs to calculate all the variations of refits, weights and difficulty to remove. 

To be fair, some refits should be easily removable.  I'm thinking of Naval clock here.  You can literally throw it in a bag and take it over to the next ship.  It's not like copper plate. 

• Like 1

Looking at the "Sort" function in the warehouse, it would be useful to have a category "Repairs" which showed Hull Repairs, Rig Repairs, and Rum. I always had trouble finding these items in the last UI and this would be a good time to add this.

1 minute ago, Arngill said:

Looking at the "Sort" function in the warehouse, it would be useful to have a category "Repairs" which showed Hull Repairs, Rig Repairs, and Rum. I always had trouble finding these items in the last UI and this would be a good time to add this.

Tabs!  Having tabs in the warehouse would be great.  Just like the shop tabs with categories.

• Like 2

Possible bug:

When You go into crafting ships, and You don't have mats for initially selected Fir / Crew Space, button  "Craft" WON'T refresh and won't let You craft the ship even if You switch the wood type for the one You have in the Warehouse.

It stay's greyed out.

Building and Crafting:

In Kingston (Oak and Fir) only Fir Forest is available after clicking 'Build'in the 'Select Building'-Dialog.
No 'Shipyard', no 'Forge', no 'Academy'.and no 'Oak Forest' as before.

Are there any new requirements added with the patch today ?

Ok, after testing through a three day weekend and attempting to read through 20pgs of topic (got to pg 6) here are things I've quickly come up with for my test report.

1)   In the Ship's Setup window, the mouse over popup have grammar errors:

• Upgrade Slot reads "For remove upgrade you need to destroy it". Should read "To remove upgrade you need to destroy it" or "For removal of upgrade you need to destroy it"
  • Knowledge Slot reads "Use this vessel in combat to gain to unlock this slot". Should read "Use this vessel in combat to gain xp to unlock this slot".
  • Same window has an issue when you place cannons in the slot. You can no longer get the cannon/carronade requirements for that slot without removal of the cannons you just placed. I sometimes change my mind but have quickly forgotten the numbers were.

2)   Love the ability to stretch the windows and get multiple columns going. Didn't realize this was a thing until the end of a 3 day weekend of testing. Maybe put a *hotnote somewhere on the window letting us know it can be done.

3)   I believe ALL windows with column titles should be clickable sort options like the Trader Tool. I should be able to sort my Navy window by Rate, Ship Name, Location, Status. But not just the Navy window. All windows with column titles. You did it with the Upgrades Chest but few know it works because the title text is grayed out and doesn't look clickable.

4)   In the live servers, if I forget what ships are 5th rate, I can always revert to the ship store and click on 5th rate button and get a list of ALL the 5th rates (not just the ones for sale, if any). Need something in the new UI to help with people like me with short memory/attention.

5)   Love the fact that you show the day/night cycle in the port. Would also be nice to see a clock for the OW time. Seeing daylight doesn't tell me if it's morning or afternoon.

6)   Allow the camera angle to drop more towards the water level. I kinda like swiveling the camera angle to the docks and view the open sea behind my ship (gives more of a Captains perspective of handling things after docking) but the further I scroll out the higher the angle is.

Sorry, no pics. In a rush. RL calls.

One confusing thing - since we cannot "click" on unavailable blueprints anymore we can't find out what we're missing - the recipe to buy, or we are too low lvl. etc.

It can be confusing even for veterans, not to mention new players.

The 'greyed out' blueprints should be still clickable, with clear indication do we need to get the recipe to craft it, or we need to level it up.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Schwabbel said:

Building and Crafting:

In Kingston (Oak and Fir) only Fir Forest is available after clicking 'Build'in the 'Select Building'-Dialog.
No 'Shipyard', no 'Forge', no 'Academy'.and no 'Oak Forest' as before.

Are there any new requirements added with the patch today ?

This is a known issue (fixed already and will be deployed within the next testbed update).

Workaround is to build the only visible building, after that the rest of available buildings will be shown

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Also, admin please fix the damn values for exp and damage for the entire game. Patrol damage shows one thing, the battle log shows another damage values (grape or whatever tweaks done that changed it). Exp in port and at sea for ranks:

image.png.1b17b3b57fabf3a52c18ef52214257dd.png

image.png.58ec074ad8d28ccc77f59039cf601966.png

The first are the cummulative XP since start and the second only depending the next rank (diference between M&C and Post Captain). So I like this different display

1 minute ago, Schwabbel said:

The first are the cummulative XP since start and the second only depending the next rank (diference between M&C and Post Captain). So I like this different display

This just causes needless confusion.  There should be one consistent XP display. 

• Like 1

A couple of quick points.

1. Cannons.  You should be able to see what type of guns you can equip even if cannons already there. For example switching between carros and long guns. Very frustrating not to see the classes if cannons already equipped. We should just go to weights and get rid of cannon classes anyway. You should be able to auto drop the right amount in the slots without having to click back and forth and split up numbers to equip cannons. 

2.  Change "Sail Out" to "Set Sail" when leaving port. Just sounds better from a sailor's perspective anyway. Thanks to @Angus MacDuff for bringing that up. 

3. Reward chest contents should go directly to warehouse and Gold chest rather than into ship's hold. You have to be in port when opening it anyway. 

Overall I like the new UI and the ongoing improvements. The scaling is an issue though if it can be fixed. Looking down on Surprise from giant dock just looks bad. 

Edit: I also want to add that I really like the new "streamlined" crafting. Especially getting rid of carriages! Gets rid of a lot of excess clicks!

Edited by DeRuyter
Added crafting point
  • Like 4

Another shot about hotkeys - let's stay consistent.

If on OW, "F" opens Fleet View, let's keep it that way in the port. I don't think Flags needs their hotkey anyway, as it's not gonna be so frequently used option.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

1. Cannons.  You should be able to see what type of guns you can equip even if cannons already there. For example switching between carros and long guns. Very frustrating not to see the classes if cannons already equipped.

Yes! I reported this same issue a few days ago. It is indeed very frustrating. 

Will builder determined ship "craft quality" be implemented under the new build system? For exampe: a Purple ship could cost 1 more permit and a gold ship quality 2 or 3 more permits and some extra provisions (just an idea don't get hung up on specifics please). These are just examples; the main point is - it will be really nice if we could buy into a higher level ship rather then total luck, or in my case bad luck. ;o)

Edited by Bubba Smith

@admin possible to add the ctrl and shift function marking on more items instead of right clicking 20 different items to send to clan warehouse or selecting one and one ship if you want to put more ships to fleet or sell them :) 

Edited by Guest

Whist crafting I noticed that the list of ship blueprints you can make doesn't update as you craft, so you can't see what you can make with your live crafting level. You have to close the list and then open it again in order to get the up to date list

The new port UI looks great!  It's great to be able to see your ship in port.   Using windows, it also solves one of the current UI's biggest challenges, which is that you can't view the contents of multiple tabs simultaneously (for instance, the shop and the hold). However, I think those windows, and the iconographic approach to the interface, make for a long learning curve and a lot of clicking.  I wonder if a hybrid of the new and old interface would be a little smoother.  I drew up a few quick layouts (below), operating under the assumption that most people use the port UI for two things mainly: viewing ships and viewing the store.

The first layout combines the roster of ships with the fleet tab on the left side of the screen, and displays ship information on the right side.  A "Ship Stats" toggle in the bottom center of the screen displays displays information about speed, armor, hull, etc.  Ship purchasing still occurs in a window that can occupy the middle of this screen, or be dragged around.  I toyed with adding representative silhouettes beside the names of the ships on the left side, but I couldn't find a range of suitable images in a cohesive style.  Still, it might look really cool, especially if the ships have player-assigned names (e.g. "USS Bonhomme Richard"). 

1620126032_FleetUI.thumb.png.7d3d3d14f023e38a33ad6357105c0501.png

The following image explains some of the interface's functionality.  The various buttons here would incorporate mouseover information and menus to save space (for instance mouseovers for SKILLS and UPGRADES).  Note that the color of the overlay changes with the ambient light.  I thought this was cool as I tried out different colors for the background.

632661528_FleetUI(Overlay).thumb.png.836013f2229d84ed6544a1897e195219.png

Below, we see a warehouse layout (left), maintaining the grid's economy of space, but giving the option to instead show a list to make use of the details presented in the new UI.  The ship's hold is on the right side of the screen, where it was in the fleet layout (above). A right click menu on items would list "Send to Hold" or "Send to Warehouse".  A few buttons are missing on the warehouse: "Expand Warehouse", "Sort A-Z", "Sort by Group", etc. It might be preferable to list the flagship and the fleet ships on the warehouse side so that it's easy to transfer cargo between the warehouse and the player's various vessels.

1369890672_WarehouseUI.thumb.png.d60f78fb751bf0bd7b64a583e9101eff.png

Finally, I added a couple general suggestions in the image below.  It seems to me as though the outpost and economic building windows should be accessed from the port menu in the upper left corner.  That was where I first looked for them, and I think it's logical to assume that if you're going to interact with All Saints, you'll do it through the menu that reads "All Saints".

I think one of the new UI's strong points is that you can orbit the camera around the ship in port.  I wouldn't view lock in any of the layouts I presented, but I think the image below is a cool shot for landing in the port.  

In closing, 11/10 sailors agree we must have the blue peter on the sail out button!

877014134_CommentsUI.thumb.png.fafaff0a61489e592ec9fd4feba24bbc.png

Edited by John Waveland
Subject-verb agreement.
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, John Waveland said:

The new port UI looks great!  It's great to be able to see your ship in port.   Using windows, it also solves one of the current UI's biggest challenges, which is that you can't view the contents of multiple tabs simultaneously (for instance, the shop and the hold). However, I think those windows, and the iconographic approach to the interface, make for a long learning curve and a lot of clicking.  I wonder if a hybrid of the new and old interface would be a little smoother.  I drew up a few quick layouts (below), operating under the assumption that most people use the port UI for two things mainly: viewing ships and viewing the store.

The first layout combines the roster of ships with the fleet tab on the left side of the screen, and displays ship information on the right side.  A "Ship Stats" toggle in the bottom center of the screen displays displays information about speed, armor, hull, etc.  Ship purchasing still occurs in a window that can occupy the middle of this screen, or be dragged around.  I toyed with adding representative silhouettes beside the names of the ships on the left side, but I couldn't find a range of suitable images in a cohesive style.  Still, it might look really cool, especially if the ships have player-assigned names (e.g. "USS Bonhomme Richard"). 

1620126032_FleetUI.thumb.png.7d3d3d14f023e38a33ad6357105c0501.png

The following image explains some of the interface's functionality.  The various buttons here would incorporate mouseover information and menus to save space (for instance mouseovers for SKILLS and UPGRADES).  Note that the color of the overlay changes with the ambient light.  I thought this was cool as I tried out different colors for the background.

632661528_FleetUI(Overlay).thumb.png.836013f2229d84ed6544a1897e195219.png

Below, we see a warehouse layout (left), maintaining the grid's economy of space, but giving the option to instead show a list to make use of the details presented in the new UI.  The ship's hold is on the right side of the screen, where it was in the fleet layout (above). A right click menu on items would list "Send to Hold" or "Send to Warehouse".  A few buttons are missing on the warehouse: "Expand Warehouse", "Sort A-Z", "Sort by Group", etc. It might be preferable to list the flagship and the fleet ships on the warehouse side so that it's easy to transfer cargo between the warehouse and the player's various vessels.

1369890672_WarehouseUI.thumb.png.d60f78fb751bf0bd7b64a583e9101eff.png

Finally, I added a couple general suggestions in the image below.  It seems to me as though the outpost and economic building windows should be accessed from the port menu in the upper left corner.  That was where I first looked for them, and I think it's logical to assume that if you're going to interact with All Saints, you'll do it through the menus that reads "All Saints".

I think one of the new UI's strong points is that you can orbit the camera around the ship in port.  I wouldn't view lock in any of the layouts I presented, but I think the image below is a cool shot for landing in the port.  

In closing, 11/10 sailors agree we must have the blue peter on the sail out button!

877014134_CommentsUI.thumb.png.fafaff0a61489e592ec9fd4feba24bbc.png

That looks really great

• Like 2