Game-Labs Forum
admin

TESTBED - Port User Interface Feedback.

After playing 2 nights with the UI, I agree that it is more confusing than it should be. Im not saying it's horrible, I just think it could be more simple and require less clicking. I now need multiple windows open to do the same thing as one screen before (ex: I should not have to open 3 windows to equip cannons). I cannot assign my own hot keys. The warehouse is a mess that I have to scroll through and cannot organize myself (drives me crazy). The latency when hovering over items (waiting for pop up screen) is too long. The list goes on. I hope some changes are made to make things more simple but maintain the beauty of the new UI. 

• Like 1

I love the UI, couple of hours later i still love it. easy to get used to. 

Another thing:

I just started a Battle in front of Carlisle and when i finished i spawned next to Kingston.

Just now, kevdreck said:

I just started a Battle in front of Carlisle and when i finished i spawned next to Kingston.

Known issue.. will be fixed next week.

• Like 1

So, from what I got, and haven't been mentioned yet already would be:

1) Auctioned Ships are mystery

You don't have any clue what type of ships You're buying. There should be hovertip for wood types, etc when You want to buy a ship from the shop

2) European Traders are gone

Not sure is it just missing here, or is it going out permanently soon? Couldn't get contracts, even with 100x the regular price

3) Real, Doubloons, Piastres (possibly also Labor Hours) should be visible straight up on the top of the menu, next to the rank etc. 

4) If LH would be shown as stated in #3, the overall LH owned by player could be removed from blueprints to make them more clear

Side note:

It's terribly hard to get this lvl 10 craft, without admirality and without starting materials giveaway.
I've made a mistake making a character, created a new one, and the used redeemables were gone (naturally... just didn't think of it before I did it).

@admin any chance to give a "refresh" redeemables on my account?

All around - amazing job with the new UI. That's exactly what I expected it to be!

Edited by OjK

2 hours ago, admin said:

i am sorry but its just your opinion man. 

Buttons are somewhat explanatory and once you know for example that 

• Red building from bricks that looks like a british warehouse is a warehouse.
  • Weights symbol means the Store (weights were used in stores)
  • Open journal means mission journal (captain used logs, which looked like a book)
  • and the hammer means the auction (also happened)

you wont need additional hotkeys because you click them couple of times and remember. (Will take some time maybe)

They are forever confusing only if a player has short term or long term memory deficiency, but we elegantly handled this case with tooltips. We have a tooltip and a confused player, who for some reason cannot remember anything in a week, can always put mouse over it and instantly remember - "aha - hammer means auction, where i can "put or view ships on sale", how could i forget, Thank god developers thought of me!"

Did you just "the dude" me?

My point in bringing this up is, will this UI make sense to a new player?  Does it have that blend of simplicity/functionality that will easily allow new players to get a good grasp of the concept and head right out and sail?  I'm not so sure. 

At the very least a "UI tutorial" is needed I think to get the player from the steam store to the sailing tutorial.  You need a NA version of this guy...

clippy-windows-8-10-e1441910827794-300x1

Production Building - Collect Panel:

The calculation of   'Max'   didn't take the labour hour discount of level 2 and 3 into account.

You cant craft nassau boarders or northern carpenters upgrades.

They require Academy, so I built Academy and still cant build the upgrade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Intrepido said:

You cant craft nassau boarders or northern carpenters upgrades.

They require Academy, so I built Academy and still cant build the upgrade.

Really? Do I need another building to make upgrades now?

1 minute ago, Banished Privateer said:

As I said, even if you build the Academy, you cant craft those upgrades.

Edited by Intrepido
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

I got Gunnery Encyclopedia Blueprint it requires Academy as well. I assume same is for Art of Ship Handling

2 minutes ago, Beeekonda said:

I got Gunnery Encyclopedia Blueprint it requires Academy as well. I assume same is for Art of Ship Handling

The problem is that Academy right now can only collect Labor Hours.

• Like 1

🤔 The UI has the option of looking at cannons you need and cannon types in the shop ,If they were intergrated into admiral checklist or something for the finish on the build within the shop for ship fittings purchasing list.. I get confused flipping back and forth eating up my short term memory..

Good job devs, nice to see your ship docked and background port, especially like the way you can rearrange/size the hub to suit.

Still, some players will have to “unlearn” the old screen, it’s just like a new game where you have to learn the hub for the first time.

I’m not so sure about auto-arranging items in the warehouse/ship cargo, when crafting, transporting and with 1st rate ship stock, you can have alot of items/resources stored, manually locating them makes life easy-breezy (e.g. slotting an item into a particular slot).

Edited by Guest

SUGGESTION: is it possible to make it able to mouseover certain buildings in the docks and then the building box pops up? E.g, lets say you design a warehouse which highlights when the mouse is over it and the warehouse box opens, or you mouseover a designed store the store pops up, and if you mouseover the docks it highlights and if you click it your dock menu shows up. I dont know how much work that would do but it would certainly make the port itself alive and have sense of touch to it. @admin

to test you could enlarge the icons and continue the design out from those, place them together with the buildings and see how it works out

Edited by Guest
:)

A Bellona in the admiralty goes for 30 doubloons, but if you want to craft an Agamemmnon, it costs you 2700?? That does not seem right @admin

prueba1.png

Edited by Lecner
forgot tag
  • Like 1

I struggle to trade with others because I can not move my goods into the trading window. I can not find a way to see the build on the ships in the shop in port.

A some names has changed for upgrades and book, and I'm not super happy about all. "Grog rations" has been replaced with "Drinking" for example.
To many separate windows imo, so it is difficult to get an overview. Also in port the logogs could be a hell of a lot bigger. I get why they are small in OW, but in port I'm there to use the stuff and those tiny logos are hard to see/distinguish for an old man..

Over all I like the the new port and UI :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tiedemann said:

I struggle to trade with others because I can not move my goods into the trading window.

Many of us have F11'd that.

10 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Many of us have F11'd that.

Det skader vell ingen at jeg nevner det en gang til, gjør det vell? 

• Like 1

Three big problems that need to be fixed ASAP for ship crafting:  Provisions weighing an astonishing 302.46 each!  Needing 175 Salt (!!!) to craft a Provisions, which requires many hours of fishing.  Fish Meat weighing twice the weight of the fish it's made out of, which greatly increases the hassle of managing fish in your hold.  Tell me if I'm somehow confused about how this is supposed to work.

Edited by Barbancourt
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tiedemann said:

Det skader vell ingen at jeg nevner det en gang til, gjør det vell? 

What?

1 hour ago, Barbancourt said:

which requires many hours of fishing.

Not a problem! (No, please sit! I'll show myself out...)

@admin concerning the UI and how I think it would look in our current Grid - With our new fancy graphics. This is how I have my Eve Online UI setup - Eve UI is complete customization in the sense of how big you want each window, whether it's permanently there or you can open and close it, and so on and so on. This is what I also like about our new UI, you can re-size it and customize it how you want it more or less. I'll show 2 screenshots - One that's vanilla, and another with some color coded areas for references:

Screenshot_51.png

Screenshot_51_LI.jpg

A couple points that I'd LOVE Naval Action UI to have:

1. Yellow - Indepth detail of your ship - I'm glad we have that in the New UI (as well as currently) and I'd love for increased detail of mods and books. within Eve Online I can also resize the "fitting" window as well as drop-down menus for the stats (Capacitor, Offense, Defense, Etc)

2. Pink - There are the station services in Eve Online - in Naval Action there would be where we could get missions, repair ships, access buildings, generally anything pertaining to the port/docks would probably be here

3. Blue - Is my "Hanger" where all my materials and resources go. I am currently on the "items" tab, and I can switch to the ships tab which would show my Ships. I wish Naval Action had something more similar to this, but I do like what we have too. As you can note I have containers that hold a lot of stuff which is where we turn to ---

4. Green - What one of my containers has - I have my ammo and Drones container open to show the "Grid-like" format that I currently have setup in Eve. the window shows me estimated price of all goods in the container, as well as giving me an Icon, name, and # of each item in an easy-to-read format. It is similar to what we have on the live servers, we have the name of the item and how much is in that stack and I personally truly enjoy that.

Now, Eve does have an option in the UI to make the Grid become a List, or smaller or bigger Icons. I understand that Eve has 15+ years of UI optimizations and so we can't really compare to the detail eve has to Naval Action. Here is the thing, I have more information being given to me and more space from my Eve UI than the Testbed Naval Action. I believe we, the players, are given more information from the current UI on the live server than on the Testbed. IF we could somehow keep that easy information with the new snazzy UI look, I'd love it.

A few more note-worthy things I'd like to bring attention to

A. Above the Pink square is the button to "undock" which would be leaving port of Naval Action (as well as some other buttons but they don't really matter for this)

B. Top Left of the Screen shows my location, Who owns the system (who would own the Port) and any Quests I've taken or events happening in the area

C. Below that are my Chat windows with different tabs for different channels. Mainly Local (Trade), corporation (clan), Alliance (roughly would be our Nation chat) as the 3 big ones.

D. Far Left side is my Toolbar, With Icons from Character sheet, Market, detailed information of my Assets, a Map, Etc, Etc. I feel this represents what we have on our Bottom side of the Screen in Naval Action - with the Icons there. I would personally like to see it moved to the Left, or at least given the option to move them around.

EDIT: what's more is that I like in Naval Action we can get rid of our windows and see our ship in port now, If I took out the container window and fitting window, I can see my ship in the docks in Eve Online too. Basically, I like the direction we are going with our UI and being able to make it better. I just think it's clunky and takes too much space.

If we can get more information from the UI while using less space and not having to clutter up our screen, that's the money shot right there.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 1

No "Map" icon.

Also an ability to raze/lower the camera alittle would be nice, Y-axis, and/or maybe alittle more zoom-out range too, not much more, just alittle more, just enough to give the scene alittle bit more scope.

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, Tiedemann said:

I can not find a way to see the build on the ships in the shop in port.

You need to hover your mouse over the rate number to get a ship stat window for in shop ships.