Game-Labs Forum

Patch 15: Tutorial testing and many other things

admin

1 hour ago, Liq said:

Not quite, it'll take the belle poule about 5 charged shots to take out a mast of surp. So if you're precise you can snipe 2 masts (about 80% sails) in not even a broadside worth

Surprise was one of the best ships before wipe for PvP. Now, paper masts reduced her role to an auxiliary ship. :(

Maybe with improved carronades, she could do better, but coming at range of a skilled captain is dangerous. For a "Liqued" captain, you'd need an act of God. :);)

But I still love her! 

Edited by Eleazar de Damas

1 hour ago, Eleazar de Damas said:

Surprise was one of the best ships before wipe for PvP. Now, paper masts reduced her role to an auxiliary ship. :(

Maybe with improved carronades, she could do better, but coming at range of a skilled captain is dangerous. For a "Liqued" captain, you'd need an act of God. :);)

But I still love her! 

To be fair she has always had the worst masts of all frigates. But right now without any mast mods you wont get anywhere in her when mid sections take 2-4 hits xD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, victor said:

Así que, por ejemplo, una belle poule, que es una nave que realmente puede dar batalla y hundirse en un agamemnon, costará como agamemnon? ¿Es este un argumento válido?

Nobody talks here about the expertise of one player against another when winning another player with better or worse ship, I mean that the combat values of the constitution are as we know those of a superfragata that is not equal to its cost in br , I already made it very clear, it is better that the consti continue with its defects and virtues at its price to be improved because then it would have to rebalancear its price, at least that's what I think.

29 minutes ago, firebool said:

Nobody talks here about the expertise of one player against another when winning another player with better or worse ship, I mean that the combat values of the constitution are as we know those of a superfragata that is not equal to its cost in br , I already made it very clear, it is better that the consti continue with its defects and virtues at its price to be improved because then it would have to rebalancear its price, at least that's what I think.

I guess you are not getting my point, but no problem. Tot capita quot sententiae

1 hour ago, admin said:

Captains

Mast thickness changes delayed by 1 day and will be deployed on thursday instead of tomorrow - we wanted to get one more thing into the game with that patch!

What exactly is in that patch>?

17 minutes ago, Ahoy H.R. Matey said:

A Constitution buff, and a massive rollback of RNG crafting and recent mobility gimp-o-rama. Three-masted ships will be able to tack without going backwards once again!

no ship rigged vessel tacked without sternway. 1-2 hulls sternway was considered amazing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ahoy H.R. Matey said:

A Constitution buff, and a massive rollback of RNG crafting and recent mobility gimp-o-rama. Three-masted ships will be able to tack without going backwards once again!

(I can dream).

When the heavy gunpowder smoke that enclosed the three vessels cleared, USS CONSTITUTION was sailing parallel to HMS LEVANT, and delivered a broadside that prompted HMS LEVANT to disengage for repairs. At about that time, Capt. Stewart noticed HMS CYANE coming up on USS CONSTITUTION's stern. To avoid being raked, Captain Stewart ordered his men on the masts and the yards to "back sails," or sail the ship backward into a position where he delivered a crippling broadside to HMS CYANE. Capt. Falcon attempted to disengage, but after being raked again, had little choice but to strike HMS CYANE’s colors at 6:45 p.m. 

23 minutes ago, Ahoy H.R. Matey said:

(I can dream).

I can tack my Indefatigable through the wind without going backwards... It does drop to about 1.4knts but I can do it.  I dont know what you are doing wrong to have to go backwards.   No different than trying to do a loop in an aircraft, S=K.  Or in simple terms, Speed equals Energy.  The faster I am going at the beginning of the tack the less chances of me stalling at the top of the tack and getting stuck in irons.   Pretty simple really.

IDK, guess going to battle sails helps, or something. (Never thought of it because battle puts away the spanker and you kinda need the spanker to tack... IRL that is...) I've never done or had to do before the mobility gimp. I know manual sailing, but even slamming an Endymion into a tack from full speed ends with sternway for me. Not in irons, mind you.

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

As we've found, that tactic works quite well for heavies, but it is more difficult with lighter ships/less momentum. I still can't tack some of the lighter ships without turn mods and generate some sternway... so your mileage may vary.

I sail renommee almost exclusively and there is no way to tack without going backwards BUT if you cut your rudder that puppy is turning like nobody's business and you won't be going backward backwards for long. Going backwards doesn't mean anything to me is long as I'm turning like a top

1 hour ago, admin said:

Captains

Mast thickness changes delayed by 1 day and will be deployed on thursday instead of tomorrow - we wanted to get one more thing into the game with that patch!

When are Vic mark and hostility changes and paint chests for PvP marks coming?

Edited by Landsman

1 hour ago, admin said:

no ship rigged vessel tacked without sternway. 1-2 hulls sternway was considered amazing.

That's not accurate; re-read your Willis: https://www.cnrs-scrn.org/northern_mariner/vol14/tnm_14_3_57-68.pdf

But if the speedometer was adjusted to only show longitudinal speed, people would realize that the amount of sternway is often negligible. It's more that the ships are turning on their center axis, treading water as it were.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sea Fox said:

I sail renommee almost exclusively and there is no way to tack without going backwards BUT if you cut your rudder that puppy is turning like nobody's business and you won't be going backward backwards for long. Going backwards doesn't mean anything to me is long as I'm turning like a top

this. Unless you're sailing a very nimble ship with good profile you should get use to that speed indicator hitting - in regular combat. But it doesn't take any longer to tack, probably even a bit faster if you put your rudder into it and from there you can choose to keep cut and hold the turn or ease the rudder back to hold stern way a bit for a reverse 180 maneuver which is usually only a few seconds with -5knts.

Ship combat is much better than it was before.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ahoy H.R. Matey said:

@admin, I know all that, but sternway is still a drag. In real life, I've sailed sloops for years, so going backwards during a tack instantly makes me cringe. I'm biased and I know it ;) I love yall's sailing model and its gritty realism, but that's one place I would rather see game-ification than said gritty realism.

Are you now seriously comparing a tiny fore and aft rigged boat with a massive, full ship-rigged 1st rate?

Of course your bloody sloop will tack in an instant... But it has no bearing at all on how a full ship-rig should perform.

21 minutes ago, Knobby said:

Are you now seriously comparing a tiny fore and aft rigged boat with a massive, full ship-rigged 1st rate?

Of course your bloody sloop will tack in an instant... But it has no bearing at all on how a full ship-rig should perform.

And if only you learned reading comprehension, you would have noticed, without me having to 'splain it, that I was making a rather light-hearted statement about my own real world-influenced bias, and one spot in the game where I preferred "unrealistic" approach to gritty realism.

But you didn't, and we are all sad for you.

Be Kool, stey in Skool, kidz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ahoy H.R. Matey said:

And if only you learned reading comprehension, you would have noticed, without me having to 'splain it, that I was making a rather light-hearted statement about my own real world-influenced bias, and one spot in the game where I preferred "unrealistic" approach to gritty realism.

But you didn't, and we are all sad for you.

Be Kool, stey in Skool, kidz.

Problem is, sternway is minimal for many ships in this game. You're just obsessing about what the speedometer is telling you, rather than watching your ship and realizing that it's really the bow that is moving 'backwards' to help you complete the maneuver.

opening-shotcmyk-599x400.jpg

You're not one of those sailors, are you?

22 minutes ago, maturin said:

Problem is, sternway is minimal for many ships in this game. You're just obsessing about what the speedometer is telling you, rather than watching your ship and realizing that it's really the bow that is moving 'backwards' to help you complete the maneuver.

opening-shotcmyk-599x400.jpg

You're not one of those sailors, are you?

In my opinion too many players do not even know that when you start going backards you have to reverse the rudder to turn faster out of irons.

Edited by victor
  • Like 2