Game-Labs Forum

Little things you'd like to see

On the compass, on bottom left corner, the arrow of the wind direction is on the edge of the compass. Adding small arrow all along the big one that cross the ship symbole would help reed wind direction in my opinion. Hope i'm describing my idea well enought :D

Greetings .

Honestly I think the game right now is the best naval simulation , but as a whole can be improved and some of my suggestions would be .

- But life on the ship ( marine working and running on the priorities we have)

- Dynamic and random- climatic changes

- Cycles most notorious time

- More details cosmetics

- Improve the UI

I hope not to be very demanding.

Aguas Claras .

An occasional mermaid every now and then would be fun! ;)

The ability to customize a corporation design for sail or flag.

In northern waters, maybe the Aurora.

Dolphins in the bow wake.

A perching seagull in the masts.

When stationary for a time, sailors diving into the water for a swim (really they need to (stinky)).

I have a lot more, but you get the idea.

• Like 1

A lot of good ideas...

Some have touched on crew management.

→How I would love to see crew management is to have named officers with skills and skill progression, similar to UFO: Enemy Unknown (or its modern iteration Xenonauts)

It doesn't have to show numbers though, but rather titles or reputation based on the numbers crunched in the background.

With that, the ability to name new officers once you hire them would be neat as well.

Devils in the details:

→Creating minute differences in a battle with for example same ship type:

Crew level/completion/exhaustion/equipment, same for officers and captain (and the different states the equipment can be in), hull state due to combat/sailing damage as well as erosion/trip time (do barnacles and other "growths" slow down ships, or does lack of "paint/refinish" deteriorate the hull?), canvas state, rudder state, ship armament, support from extraterrestrial aliens.....

• Like 1

A more packed ships with more hustle and bustle.

I would also like to hear more vocal feedback from my officers telling me cannons are ready, leaks below the water line, mast gone etc. The voices could depend on the officer you have hired and nation your belong too and maybe even change in temperament depending upon your combat situation form at ease to combat ready to distressed when you're in real trouble.   Not only would this help with communicating information to the player with out cluttering the screen but it was also add a humanizing element to the battles making you feel like this ship and world is alive. 

• Like 1

Things I'd like to see in the game:

Ship's boats,

either stowed upon the deck or towed astern. Enables for supply with Food / goods from smaller Harbours , moving People around, either to other vessels or maybe as part of a Transport Mission.

Assigning more Tasks to the Crew, - for longer travels, esp when you trade goods or explore new regions...once you set your sails and the weather is fine there is lots of spare time usually.

e.g. leisure time ( then you can hear them singing shanties, laughing while playing game of dice etc. )

General repair and ship maintenance ( ship riggs gets repaired, deck gets swabbed and cleaned up, caulking, ship looks really shiny after some time )

Man the crow's nest, getting Messages from sights of ships, shorelines etc.

Captain's cabin view

must-have Interface to assign Tasks, store personal stuff, read letters etc.  - outside view through the windows

Shipyards of different sizes and thus varying capabilty to build / repair ships.

When a new ship is ordered it should take a considerable amount of time until it is finished, depending on it's size and availability of ressources. The ship might not be even equipped with cannons because the shipyard does not have the ressources for building them.

Much of this is not related to pvp but more to the open world and the trading / spending time on the sea aspect.

More to come....

So far I like this game...this Alpha of a game quite a lot, Keep up the good work ^^

PS: the author's correction function of this Forum is screwed :)

• Like 1

The ability to sail next to a sinking ship and save the crew, even picking them out of the water. You could do this to friendly and enemy ships. You would be rewarded for doing this with what ever the open game will give for rewards (honour, prestige gold etc..) however it would take time and your crew would be busy. So the player would have to make a choice (always good game design) to save an enemy crew or continue the fight.

• Like 2

Just a thought - a large majority of people back then didn't swim.  The ship would sometimes lower a sail into the water to make a kind of kiddie pool, but that's about the only way most sailors would willingly go into the water.

Hey, where can I find more info on this? Very interesting!  I've read a book written by Jean De Lery, a French that came to Brazil around 1580 he talks about all the crew from the Nau he was jumping on the sea in a warm summer day... and how he was afraid of the sea and stayed in the ship! 

If it is not that much trouble it would be very helpful at this stage of "testing" to have the RANGE of shot ( or DISTANCE travelled by shot ) in the damage Log.

( unless I am totally "blind" I didn't see it anywhere )

Thank you.

I would like to know when I have entered a countries controlled waters.  This can be done with strategically placed buoys, a change in color on the minimap, or a banner somewhere on the screen indicating "You are in [French] controlled waters", or in "Open waters".

hi developers great game keep up the good work, I would like to be able to tell the wind speed, ships speed is great but I would like to know the wind speed.

As the weather engine develops it would be nice to have barometric pressure, this could be in a graphic based on the old glass  model used before  the mercury barometer was invented.

Ian

• Like 2

Regarding flags,i would like to see the Royal Naval System implemented.

"Squadron colours were inaugurated during the reign of Elizabeth I to subdivide the English fleet into three squadrons. There were three classes of admirals using coloured flags. The Admiral’s squadron wore a red flag, the Vice-Admiral’s wore a white and the Rear-Admiral’s wore a blue.

As fleets grew in size during the seventeenth century, the squadrons became too large for one admiral to control the movements of his squadron efficiently and effectively. This led to three admirals being assigned to each squadron: a full Admiral in command, a Vice-Admiral as his second, and a Rear-Admiral as his third in command. Thus there was now an Admiral of the Blue, Vice-Admiral of the Blue and Rear-Admiral of the Blue, and so forth. The squadrons ranked in the order Red (as senior), White, Blue, and Admirals took rank according to the colour of their squadron.

Promotion of admirals also took place in this order - a Rear-Admiral of the Blue on promotion became a Rear-Admiral of the White as his first flag promotion. Once he had reached Rear-Admiral of the Red, he would then become a Vice-Admiral of the Blue on  promotion and so until he finally became an Admiral of the White. It was only in the Red squadron that the hierarchy was not followed. There was no Admiral of the Red since this would be deemed as being in overall command of the whole fleet. However, this was the province of the Admiral of the Fleet and until 1862, there could only be one holder of this rank and it was an appointment held for life.

In 1805, after the battle of Trafalgar, the rank of Admiral of the Red was introduced to reward the most successful admirals and acted as a compliment to the Navy for the successes it had achieved during the Napoleonic Wars. It became the highest rank that an Admiral could attain until 1862, when an allowance was made for more than one Admiral of the Fleet to be appointed. The Admiralty then introduced new regulations in 1870 that ensured the retirement of the Admiral of the Fleet at the age of seventy. The rank was abolished in the late twentieth century and only current post-holders retained the rank.

In 1864 the organisation of the British fleet into coloured squadrons was discarded, mainly because it had no relevance in the age of steam warships. The Red Ensign was allocated to the merchant navy of Britain, the Royal Navy adopted the White Ensign, and the Blue Ensign was used by naval auxiliary vessels. Admirals of the Fleet flew the Union Flag, Admirals flew the St. George Flag, Vice-Admirals the St George Flag with a red sphere in the top left quarter, and Rear-Admirals flew the same but with a red sphere in the top and lower left quarters of the flag."

©Royal Naval Museum Library, 2000