Game-Labs Forum

Little things you'd like to see

A thing i think would be amazing is, that when you get into a port, you will have to buy supllies for your men on board of your ship, like keep of the ration of food and rum.

And if you then have a bit food, water and rum left, then you'll have to give out smaller rations, and maybe some crew men would be unhappy about it, or maybe hungry so their skills on deck would be slower, like setting sails, reloading cannons and such.

And if you don't have any food left, then they will starve to death, which will lead to less men doing the job on the ship.

I don't really know anything about the game since i'm not a tester, but it would be a harder challenge to also care for your crew, and not only where the enemies are, or where the wind comes from.

• Like 3

Hello! I'd love to see a more oldstyle typeface on the general UI, so I've done a little edit,

Here with High Tower Text for normal text and News 701 BT for the all caps text:

I forgot  to edit some of the text, but you guys get the point...  :lol:

post-9231-0-93290500-1436455840.jpg

post-9231-0-93290500-1436455840_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I would love a key for a salut shot.

Like in the old days of this age, there friendly ships or ports greet with a salut shot.

In the chat there are many 07 and salut messages.

It would be incredible if you can greet with a salute.

You could use this for other situations too. For example to get attention of friendly nearbys etc.

(get hunted by a bigger ship and you want to warn / crye for help to other players next to you etc.)

Edited by Wishmaster2107
  • Like 1

Little things i'd like to see.... hmmm   Nipples :P

+1

I'm hoping that sometime in the next few patches we can see Trader Snow and Trader Brig ships for sail (er sale) in stores.

This all by itself would instigate some more "testing" of the economy.

• Like 2

-this

post-6958-0-04812400-1436736478_thumb.jpg

-realistic looking/acting sails

-raising square sails against the wind increases speed

-lights

-open/close ports

-ship damage due to storms

-swivel guns

-birds (first/2nd shot scares birds off of ships or other nesting areas)

-waves breaking on shore

-proper depths near shore

-more animations (pretty sure crew & cannons already exist, just thought I'd throw it out there)

• Like 1

Two things that are related that I think would be good:

1. When guns are dismounted, a graphical representation would be nice. Very minor, but nice.

2. I would love to be able to dump guns/cargo for speed. Perhaps if they had a weight (the guns already do) which negatively impacted speed, dumping them would in that way give you a better chance to escape. Since guns and gear are bought or captured already, dumping them has a built in "loss" that would have a fiscal ramification to the player.

• Like 4

I suppose this isn't "little," but it'd be nice to have a captain's cabin as an OW "menu."

As in, when the player is in OW and wants to "consult his maps/charts" or "check on the provisions and supplies," etc. etc., he can have an aesthetically pleasing cabin-themed menu with an immersive UI.

It would also be nice to visit one's cabin, consult maps/charts, chart a course, and then "order" it, so that the officers and ships crew go into a sort of "autopilot" mode, enabling the player to focus on other things (economy, equipment, studying maps, chatting with team, etc.) instead of micromanaging the excursion.

Of course if the ship comes under attack, the captain can be alerted and the "autopilot" disengaged. Perhaps the captain could also choose to be alerted when any particular type of ship is spotted. (For example, the captain of a privateer could toggle a preference to be alerted in his cabin when a Trader Brig or Trader Snow is spotted, but left alone in any other situation apart from direct combat).

• Like 5

Use of manual sails in open world environment. It would not only give me a chance to practice my terrible manual sail skills, but above all can allow new players to figure this crucial tactic out before getting into battle and forcing exasperated teammates to teach them manual sails whilst they spend 10 minutes stuck in irons.

True story.

• Like 2

@ Maturin

Why would you go faster with sails pushing you backwards?

You don't go anywhere with your square sails pushing you backwards.

Ships never tried to sail upwind without square sails set. They sailed as close to the wind as they could until the square sails started to luff, and could get no closer.

Staysails and jibs just aren't powerful enough to move a square rigger upwind on their own. In some conditions you could maybe get a few knots out of them, and point the bow a little higher than you can with square sails. But you will be sailing mostly sideways because of leeway. Leeway is greater at slow speeds, so you are better using square sails and going faster, to reduce leeway.

@ Maturin

That was my point, at the moment in OW if you sail against (not directly against) the wind with full sails you are at your max speed. If you raise the square sails you slow down instead of speed up, which is the opposite of what I would imagine happening in real life.

• Like 1

@ Maturin

That was my point, at the moment in OW if you sail against (not directly against) the wind with full sails you are at your max speed. If you raise the square sails you slow down instead of speed up, which is the opposite of what I would imagine happening in real life.

IRL if you are any closer to the wind than 55 degrees your speed is guaranteed to be pretty much zero, no matter what sails you have up.