Game-Labs Forum

Little things you'd like to see

I would like to have a skipping effect to the cannons, a skilled gunner might be able to skip a shot or two through the enemy's hull. 

It would also be nice if there as an audio cue besides the whistle to let you know your broadside had reloaded. Someone shouting it out perhaps, I know I'm often zoomed in on my scope and not paying too much attention to the reload meter. 

• Like 1

Here's my thoughts, after viewing the Beta.

The HUD should have three settings, toggled by the CTRL H combination.   There are three things/topics that a captain would need to monitor; sail settings, battle controls, and damage.  If I am sailing and not in combat, I don't need to see anything but the sailing diagram in the compass, lower left.  A final toggle would be no HUD at all; for just enjoying the view.

Please NO magic!  No skeleton crew!

Let there be trading/exchange between ships, such as ammo, food, goods, even crew.

Prize crews for captured vessels.

Some form of realistic navigation, please. I don't mean sextant use, but have navigators who can calculate positions. Better ones do a better job. No navigator, players guess.

Let there be storm damage.

Let players command NPC ships that auto follow and can be given combat commands. Captured ships become such with skeleton crews.

Let there be loot from sunken ships that can be collected and used or sold. (planks, sailcloth, barrels, crew)

Let there be buried treasure, where players can stash extra cash & loot. Password protected locations on land. Lose a ship, don't lose your wealth.

Let there be ship's physicians who reduce crew losses when present.

Let there be a period of drunken partying after a victory; during which your ship is vulnerable to attack at reduced abilities.

Let there be sickness where physicians can reduce the effects; which would be reduced abilities of your crew.

Let there be ships carpenters who reduce damage quicker than without them.

Let there be types of crew casualties; gunners, sailors, officers. Each effects an aspect of ship operation.

• Like 3

All that (well, realistically some of that) is coming down the road.

There will be Fleet Command, Economy, Exploration, Officers, etc.

If you do some digging you will find that there are LOTS of great discussions with the Admin on these topics in these forums, so reading some of these might give you a good idea of what directions they are thinking  about going in. Some coincide closely with some of your ideas!

All that (well, realistically some of that) is coming down the road.

There will be Fleet Command, Economy, Exploration, Officers, etc.

If you do some digging you will find that there are LOTS of great discussions with the Admin on these topics in these forums, so reading some of these might give you a good idea of what directions they are thinking  about going in. Some coincide closely with some of your ideas!

Admittedly it is a nice list of soft mechanics for those who like to Micro-manage and immerse themselves in these aspects if only to have the best crew/officers they possibly can before taking that next prize!

Dolphins riding our bow wakes ! shark attacks on men overboard  ;) Whale spouts,

Yep, agree with the wildlife details, it adds value to unique locations you're sailing.

Seagulls when getting closer to shore, penguins when in artic area's, ...

Also my all time favorite game use to be Uncharted waters, where you could go out and explore exotic events/species.

I still remember discovering the dodo in Madagascar and getting a huge sum of gold for it.

Sailing deep into the Amazon river for Mercator and mapping out the area.

And the ability to customize the interior of your ship. (storage size, number of space for sailors, supply size, armory, medic post, kitchen,...)

It was originally planned for East India Company game by Nitro, but it didn't make it to the final game.

this would make your ship unique and you'll feel more attached to it.

Maybe this is a bit too much to implement on the ship models.

eig1.jpg

• Like 1

Love this game,it would be great if we could walk around our ships....Think star citizen but on the high seas.

Haven't I seen this post before in another thread?

For heavens sake lets use the time of the handful of devs for meaningful gameplay - not useless walking without purpose.

• Like 1

1st of all this game is epic!!!greate work to all of you!!!But i think it would be better if u put more crew members and marines on the ship...and i think it could be greate idea if later in the game the crew have fattigue and morale like Silent Hunter..... Sorry if my english its not good enough 

Speaking of ship appearance in game...with the larger ships like the Surprise carrying spritsails, they look great, but when you fire the bowchaser guns you're firing them right through your own spritsail.  The devs had mentioned previously about being able to customize your ship (in a later update).  Could you guys make it so that the spritsail could be removed if we want?  I know it's minor, but it keeps catching my eye when the guns fire right through the sail unrealistically.

Otherwise, it looks great so far!  Thanks to the devs for all your hard work on this!  Can't wait for the final product!

Speaking of ship appearance in game...with the larger ships like the Surprise carrying spritsails, they look great, but when you fire the bowchaser guns you're firing them right through your own spritsail.  The devs had mentioned previously about being able to customize your ship (in a later update).  Could you guys make it so that the spritsail could be removed if we want?  I know it's minor, but it keeps catching my eye when the guns fire right through the sail unrealistically.

Otherwise, it looks great so far!  Thanks to the devs for all your hard work on this!  Can't wait for the final product!

press B

I do not know if this is brought up already or if it is a need. As it is now the player has to grind a whole lot to get a new ship and it get worse for every ship. Are we supposed to test out every ship or is that not an issue. As it is now the largest ships will get much less testing time compared to lynx, cutter and brig. If devs want more ship testing the damage needed to earn a new ship should be drastically lowered while testing continues. 

If not I suppose it is ok as it is. 

• Like 1

Please NO magic!  No skeleton crew!

Let there be trading/exchange between ships, such as ammo, food, goods, even crew.

Prize crews for captured vessels.

Some form of realistic navigation, please. I don't mean sextant use, but have navigators who can calculate positions. Better ones do a better job. No navigator, players guess.

Let there be storm damage.

Let players command NPC ships that auto follow and can be given combat commands. Captured ships become such with skeleton crews.

Let there be loot from sunken ships that can be collected and used or sold. (planks, sailcloth, barrels, crew)

Let there be buried treasure, where players can stash extra cash & loot. Password protected locations on land. Lose a ship, don't lose your wealth.

Let there be ship's physicians who reduce crew losses when present.

Let there be a period of drunken partying after a victory; during which your ship is vulnerable to attack at reduced abilities.

Let there be sickness where physicians can reduce the effects; which would be reduced abilities of your crew.

Let there be ships carpenters who reduce damage quicker than without them.

Let there be types of crew casualties; gunners, sailors, officers. Each effects an aspect of ship operation.

I would like all of this. Can we have this post stickied to one of the developers foreheads? :lol:

• Like 1

Love this game,it would be great if we could walk around our ships....Think star citizen but on the high seas.

As Germanico more bluntly put it, this has been discussed in previous threads.

However, as a person new to the forums with ideas you should not be required to have read every thread and topic on the forums before posting an idea. The few seconds that it takes to respond does not hurt anyone to tell you that, yes in fact this has been discussed and it would be a later, if ever, development initiative due to more compelling features and functions that they could spend their time on.

So, good suggestion, has been discussed, probably won't see it for awhile, if ever. Keep 'em coming nighthawk :D

• Like 2

WAY Better aiming. Even on a sailing ship, the ships had gunners mates, and others that could tell you how many degree's up or down, left or right. I can fire a singe shot and be WAY over. I move the mouse a hair and now it is hitting water in front of a ship. I can adjust again, and now I am way in front and over the bow, fire a again and be short and aft of the ship. The times I hit, by the time we load and fire, we are way off target again.

WAY Better aiming. Even on a sailing ship, the ships had gunners mates, and others that could tell you how many degree's up or down, left or right. I can fire a singe shot and be WAY over. I move the mouse a hair and now it is hitting water in front of a ship. I can adjust again, and now I am way in front and over the bow, fire a again and be short and aft of the ship. The times I hit, by the time we load and fire, we are way off target again.

I agree aiming can be difficult at times but cannons of this kind have never been a precision weapon. Guess they where a whole lot worse irl. Aiming was no dubt challenging and I think i still has to be. No man aims the same canon on one broadside each cannon has different precision different powder amount and different ball weight. It never was and it never should be very precise. You could always move closer but do not expect dead on precision.

• Like 1