Game-Labs Forum

Little things you'd like to see

I would like to see sails ripped off/damaged rigging if captains choose to push the limits of their vessels in heavy weather.

I would like to see the names of each crew member, and a burial service for each time crew members die.

This would be great.

This is a bit away from gameplay wish but I would like to see a lot of wildlife!

-Pods of whales and dolphins...schools of fish. Maybe being able to catch fish?

-Sharks... If only to see some shape moving under the ship.

-Seals on shore or swimming around

-Flocks of birds flying about or the lone albatross.

I not suggesting sea monsters ( even though things like that were believed in) just some ambiance.

None of this needs to be interactive but it would make things feel alive.

I know some will say that time is better spent making the game "play" better and I can understand that but I don't think selling a game short of its full potential should be stifled. I know most of you who found this game in time and can mess with it now are testing the combat model so you may be focued on that aspect. I only hope "if" they are truly going for an open world with trading and exploration they will concider wildlife.

The game look so great right now and if we are going to be able to sail in an open world we need wildlife. Or at least I do

Edit: adding more thought without starting new post 8)

-I would like to see ocean currents that effect sailing as well as changing winds. I've seen some of the shots of large waves and that is really cool to me.

-Sailing in bad weather should be hazardous or maybe have to hug the coast looking for a habour to hang out in for a bit. As long as the storms move by faily quick. Don't want to sit anchored for 30 mins! Maybe being able to see storms by the dark clouds moving along. Give you a reason to sail around an area that is having stormy weather.

-Lightning would be neat too

Edited by StuffinBeard
  • Like 3

It would be cool to be able to name your own boat. Obviously there are player names. But, some ships have their names on the back. It would be nice to customize, just like we can customize canons.

Wouldn't it be neat if your player name could be displayed across your stern! Instead of a colored name above your ship! A more realistice view with having to look at flags to see if they are friend or foe! People might not just target a certain player because he is good or not unless they spot his name on the ship not floating above his masts. Maybe if in a group your pendants would be colored the same so you don't attack friends. Maybe it is something only the group members can see? After your not in a group ( guessing groups will be doable ) it could go back to your choice of flag.

I don't have the game yet but from watching videos it all looks real great except for names over the ships. Starts looking like CoD DM.

Edit: I still think the names over head are a little arcadey but after being able to play a bit it makes sense at least in the DM PVP setting. Maybe in open world names could be off and once in a battle they could be displayed. I think it could add a whole lot of fun with flags without losing the immersion in the OW. 

Edited by StuffinBeard
  • Like 1

Storms major on the map, Damage to ship loose some crew !! maby loose a mast, need to go to poort for repaers !

Tropical cyclones, indicater chopy waves , darker clouds near the edge of the storm getting worser as u get closer to the center of the storm !!

Make a choice to go arround the storm or throu the storm ! mini game for random damage.

Night time near the coast light towers chance of running a ground if to close.

I would like to see 

we should be allowed in open world to "dump the guns" to get away from incoming ships and loose the weight of them 

also like 1 officer on the quarter deck just 1 

when you are chasing a ship or wanting to go fast you should be able to put up the side sails for extra speed 

I don't know if there already is a weight system, but it would be nice. Tossing some guns overboard would allow for less weight, in turn resulting in faster speeds if needed, at the cost of firepower. Would add to the depth of the game. 

Some basic voice acting to increase the immersion and feedback.

Friendly ship close on the Larbord side sir

Sire...we hit a friendly

Captain we are taking heavy water

There goes the rudder sir

Shots were long sir

Load chain you laggards

Sire Captain Prater spotted...prepare to ram.

You for got AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

HAH j/k

This would be great.

This is a bit away from gameplay wish but I would like to see a lot of wildlife!

-Pods of whales and dolphins...schools of fish. Maybe being able to catch fish?

-Sharks... If only to see some shape moving under the ship.

-Seals on shore or swimming around

-Flocks of birds flying about or the lone albatross.

I not suggesting sea monsters ( even though things like that were believed in) just some ambiance.

None of this needs to be interactive but it would make things feel alive.

I know some will say that time is better spent making the game "play" better and I can understand that but I don't think selling a game short of its full potential should be stifled. I know most of you who found this game in time and can mess with it now are testing the combat model so you may be focued on that aspect. I only hope "if" they are truly going for an open world with trading and exploration they will concider wildlife.

The game look so great right now and if we are going to be able to sail in an open world we need wildlife. Or at least I do

Edit: adding more thought without starting new post 8)

-I would like to see ocean currents that effect sailing as well as changing winds. I've seen some of the shots of large waves and that is really cool to me.

-Sailing in bad weather should be hazardous or maybe have to hug the coast looking for a habour to hang out in for a bit. As long as the storms move by faily quick. Don't want to sit anchored for 30 mins! Maybe being able to see storms by the dark clouds moving along. Give you a reason to sail around an area that is having stormy weather.

-Lightning would be neat too

I like this Suggestions, especially anchoring and fishing i would like to see ingame.

Edited by Obinotus

Ability to extinguish lights on the back of the ship at night.

Ability to send flares.

Captain cabin like one in AC Black Flag.

Ability to hoist different flags anytime.

Crows nest on the top of the main mast to view greater distances. 

Ability to change, paint figureheads and ship hull.

Take all my money already. My wallet and my body has been waiting for a long time.

I'm sure this has probably been mentioned, but having the gun ports open and close would be a nice detail. Especially on long voyages where it might give you a little extra speed (so that there is a reason for closing them). Once opened they'd need a minute to setup before loading time. Leaving gun ports open could leave you more susceptible to flooding in stormy weather as well. 

• Like 2

I had an idea for in-battle repairs: Instead of the arcade-y 3-repair-kit system we have now, why not have the ship's hull slowly regenerate whenever you're in survival mode? That'd make more sense and be more realistic, as things like plugging holes, reinforcing weak spots, etc (aka repairing damage to the hull) are part of seeing to the survival of the ship. Perhaps knocked-out cannons could also have a chance to be put back into action when the crew is in survival mode. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if another captain has suggested this, but i would like to see hot-shot implemented, although I fear it's ability to be very destructive to the point of becoming to over powered.

It could only be used by shore batteries, afaik. 

The use of hotshot has been discussed several times throughout the forums. From what i know there is atm. three opinions on it:
1. It could not/Was not used on board ships because of several reasons:
- It was dangerous

- Furnaces were needed

- Transporting the hotshot from the furnace to the cannons on board was a problem

2. It could/was used but not very often and only in very low amount because of the aforementioned reasons. 

3. It wasn't dangerous and we should have hotshot in excessive amounts. 

• Like 1

it was experimental used and and demed not not usefull for ships because of the dangers. we will see Hotshot in use by Forts and Shorebatteries most likely if we add hotshot to ships we will get players crying for explosiv shot next and then out of nothing steamfrigates.

no thanks not going to happen.

This may seem trival but I would like to be able to see what the running dmg on the ship I am using is rather then having to click on the next biggest ship to see where I am at. I have been in less then a week so if I am missing something in the interface please let me know.

Thanks

Hi everyone, new player here!

(Just started out and got hooked. Mostly played PvE so far to learn the basics and fundamentals of this game.)

Minor stuff: would "drums" be a nice idea to include? Like drumming "ready for battle" etc. Perhaps already been mentioned?

• Like 1

Ability to extinguish lights on the back of the ship at night.

Ability to send flares.

Captain cabin like one in AC Black Flag.

Ability to hoist different flags anytime.

Crows nest on the top of the main mast to view greater distances. 

Ability to change, paint figureheads and ship hull.

I love all of this but would love even more to walk the whole ship not just the Cpt's cabin and top deck.

• 3 weeks later...

ok so after playing the Sea Trials for some time now, i only have some minor suggestions for ship handling and battles etc. i think this part of the game is already very good and doesnt need all too much polish.

1. SAIL HANDLING: i think its too quick in general. the time needed from a stop to full sail should be much longer and it should take the crew much more time to complete the orders, especially on bigger ships.

2. SINKING: wooden ships actually dont sink that easily. it would be better to just render the ship "surrendered" or "incapacitated"

3. CREW: a few more men aboard running around and working on the rigging would be much more immersive. and maybe some marines with muskets that fire on enemy ships when theyre close ;)

4. DAMAGE: the penetration holes on the ships look good and their position is where the ship was hit, thats excellent! but the impact effect is a little too exaggerated. there are wooden parts flying around bigger than

man-size^^ a little less would be actually better.
5. BOARDING ACTIONS: i actually have no idea whats happening there^^ its too fast and only god knows what those 3 options do and what theyre good for.

So thats it. But the game already feels great. keep up the good work!

Edited by Käpt´n Blaubär
  • Like 1

night battles

fog battles(not in storms)

and idk if this is in dmg model 4.0 but i think that dmg that is above the waterline shouldnt cause leaks unless the ship heels, ive had it to wear ive been hit countless times above my gun ports and none at my waterline yet i start taking on water somehow. dmg should be relative to were your hit on the hull. even if my armor is completly gone it shouldnt cause me to sink unless i have leaks below the waterline or close to it, i should be able to fight until i run out of crew,guns,surrender, or sink.

i also would like to see ammo implemented.

• Like 3

ok so after playing the Sea Trials for some time now, i only have some minor suggestions for ship handling and battles etc. i think this part of the game is already very good and doesnt need all too much polish.

1. SAIL HANDLING: i think its too quick in general. the time needed from a stop to full sail should be much longer and it should take the crew much more time to complete the orders, especially on bigger ships.

2. SINKING: wooden ships actually dont sink that easily. it would be better to just render the ship "surrendered" or "incapacitated"

3. CREW: a few more men aboard running around and working on the rigging would be much more immersive. and maybe some marines with muskets that fire on enemy ships when theyre close ;)

4. DAMAGE: the penetration holes on the ships look good and their position is where the ship was hit, thats excellent! but the impact effect is a little too exaggerated. there are wooden parts flying around bigger than

man-size^^ a little less would be actually better.

5. BOARDING ACTIONS: i actually have no idea whats happening there^^ its too fast and only god knows what those 3 options do and what theyre good for.

So thats it. But the game already feels great. keep up the good work!

I strongly agree with point 2.

• Like 1

I strongly agree with point 2.

That is not totally true - the ships of this age carried as many as 30 tons of iron balls in the hold, plus tons of rocks or sand for ballast, plus a LOT of parts that were not wood - if the below waterline hull integrity was lost they would sink like a stone!

What would happen is that very often their below water line hull didn't fail even though they were battered to a hulk above the waterline and forced to surrender - with the victor eventually sinking them because they couldn't sail and couldn't be towed back to port.

;)

• Like 2

That is not totally true - the ships of this age carried as many as 30 tons of iron balls in the hold, plus tons of rocks or sand for ballast, plus a LOT of parts that were not wood - if the below waterline hull integrity was lost they would sink like a stone!

What would happen is that very often their below water line hull didn't fail even though they were battered to a hulk above the waterline and forced to surrender - with the victor eventually sinking them because they couldn't sail and couldn't be towed back to port.

;)

what you described is what i would like to see in game. after a battle if the captured ship is damaged you should have to repair it. but if you dont have a repair kit then you wouldnt be able to repair and would be forced to leave it or scuttle it.

say for instance that you fell an enemies mast and he used up his sail repairs so he cant repair and is forced to surrender, then you could capture his ship but if you dont have sail repairs then you cant reapir the ships either and are forced to leave it,sink it,or they could have the option to tow it.

my point being is that victory shouldnt be about sinking the ship but damaging it enough to force it to surrender. it would add a whole new way to fight to the game. but atm no matter where you get hit on the hull you always start to take on water and sink.