Game-Labs Forum

Little things you'd like to see

A few tiny little things:

• OW camera movement with similar "momentum" that the instance camera has.
  • More zoom out in OW. Actually, camera distance from ship rather than FOV zoom out
  • Map "M" to remember my last position and zoom level
  • Like 2

If/when more advanced weather is implemented it would be lovely to have a barometer you could check to see how the weather seems to be shifting. Even better would be to add a function to gently knock on it to make sure the pointer is correct, haha. (that last part might not be necessary)

Greetings. Just started playing about a week ago, here's some first impression requests.

Suggestions

• Ability to toggle the wind gauge to show direction relative to direction that you are looking, not relative to the bearing of the ship. This seems most intuitive, and also would be grounded in realism; if you're on the deck staring down the port side cannons, you'd physically feel the wind as your initial point of reference, relative to the direction you are looking.

• Speaking of port and starboard, would prefer that terminology instead of "left and right" broadsides. Same goes for "front" and "back" (bow and stern, instead). Not sure if left and right are just placeholders for updated terms in a later build, and it seems odd because otherwise the game goes through great lengths to use colloquial terminology.

• The ability to opt-out of NPC aggro before even loading the instance, if your ship can easily outpace the fastest of the NPCs. It's cumbersome to be sucked into a battle close-hauled in my cutter against square-rigged aggressors, knowing that I can escape easily to windward, but needing to wait 3 or so minutes before I can leave the battle. The NPCs never can even fire a shot in these scenarios; I'm not sure of the value of being pulled into these...unless it is to create the instance on the OW in the hopes of attracting late joining players. Which might be the case...but still, with a 3 minute (or so) window before the battle can be exited, I can't see late joiners making a difference.

• Nation choice should mean something in terms of ship attributes or access to certain ships. Thinking broadly, it could be something as simple, and grounded in historical realism, such as:
    all GBR ships -> -5% sail change speed and reload time (historically, superior seamen)
    all FR ships -> +5% turn rate and top speed (historically, fine quality of ship building)
    all SPN ships -> 1-5 additional cannons per side, depending on class (historically, up-gunned ships)

Access to unique ships within certain classes would work too, if the above feels too gamey. But I do think there would be nice value in having nation choice manifest in gameplay/ship accessibility, somehow, 

Things I love (please don't change)

Frequency of NPCs on OW; the fact that positioning on OW is carried into battle instances; PvP anywhere; lack of GPS on map.

Probably has already been suggested but I would like to see a few different maps for the instanced combat. It would be awesome if you engaged someone in a port/river mouth/bay that this was represented in the instanced battles. I really like how the OW sailing works in this game and even the tagging/instanced battle (which I often find game breaking in other games), I think this would make it seem that much more 'realistic' and make the instanced battles less contrived feeling.

*edit(looks like the devs have confirmed something similar)

Edited by Coolbord9
  • Like 2

I would like to see some way to show the compass relative to the way the camera is pointing rather than where the ship is pointing (for instance to easily see which direction an island or ship is etc.).

Another thing I would love to see is closed gun-ports while travelling in Open Word, I think that would be great for immersion. (an animation of the ports opening and guns rolling out when attacking would be cool as well, but maybe not worth the time and effort)

Edited by Ftmch

Things I would like to see in this game:

- Your own Visible name on the Stern that you choose to call your ship, 

- Cannon Recoil when salvo is fired seeing the cannons recoil which also allows players to know if an opponent has fired or is ready to fire from the port or stbd side.

- Firing Mode: - Gradual firing for firing at the stern of a ship from forward to aft to ensure every shot counts to maximise damage and also can be used for                                     broadsiding 

- Firing at will, players can fire cannons during an engagement until stopped by them instead of waiting for all cannons to reload.

Critical Hits on ships - firing cannon and striking gun powder causing the ship to be either disabled, sunk, maximum casualties or exploding which could be nice for                                     3d effects allowing players to see how devastating shots can be.

- Rudder disabled depends on your accuracy,

- loss of masts to prevent speed but also mast does not fall off ship but drags in water to further slow down the ship.  

Debris on the ocean, i am sure the ocean would be littered with floating masts, wood, barrels etc after an encounter.

- Ranks - i am sure we have seen so many games with ranking systems or leveling up systems which is very competitive, could we have a promoting system where you the player promotes crew members to certain roles on the ship and allows the gun crews to be more effective when reloading and also with accuracy but also have other promotion for crew morale etc.

Upgrades to ships - improved sailing or more sails for speed, hull thickness, more crew capacity, different hull designs, different materials. 

colours, players have the ability to paint there own ship, designing there own crest for the ship.

i think i can come up with more idea's but they are just idea's.

I hope this game is going to be excellent, I really want it to be, 

Cheers guys, B)  B)  B)  :)

I was wondering if the possibility to change your flag into one of anothers nation would be a good idea?!?

Because of the fact that if you have a small vessel and a big one (enemy) is crossing your path.

But this would be discovered when the enemy ship would have suspicions and come closer to inspect.

And as you are from another nation it would be difficult to speack the others language perfectly.

That would sound realistic.

Could also be interesting to surprise ennemies to have a biger adventage.

Edited by Loukhaashj

Map/exploration: After you visit port, resources are listed if you click/hover mouse over it.

Navigation: ability to set waypoints, kind of like an auto pilot. Or be able to auto sail to discovered ports. This would be at your own risk if you are afk and get attacked.

• Like 1