Game-Labs Forum

Little things you'd like to see

First of all this are my ideas not my wishes!

1/ at the beginning of a scenario there should be a random wind either from nearly aft or nearly front of all ship/boats.

2/ the highest deck of a ship boat should never be allowed to salvo (this is because they are mostly used for range finding and prefer when they are not used up in the salvos with the other guns).

3/ wen looking into the spyglass mode there should be a little ship/boat figure that could give the direction you are looking in with the ship/boat as a reference.

4/ the wind indicator at the left bottom of the screen should have also integrate or a separated compass so the player can reference his course has north- west as an example.

5/ maybe the hour of the day should replace the hour of play! Let me explain: in a classic hour work the time elapsed is given in colour by one of the cursors so that you have the hour of the day and the time elapsed.

I hope some of this suggestions do find there place in the game. :wacko:

1. A direct and consistent relationship between nav-map weather patterns that affect travel speed and visibility, which in turn decide weather conditions for sea battles. It should not be random, we should be able to decide to stay in port if the weather is very bad.

2. Improved and varied storms of different strengths, all the way from 'slightly choppy' through to 'we're all gonna die'. A strong storm should be powerful enough to capsize a ship on its own, provided the player doesn't attack the waves properly.

3. Improved sinking/death mechanic/animation. Right now, the ships sails furl and the ship slowly turns into a submarine. This is highly anti-climactic, and I consider it a weakness of the current combat engine.

Destruction should be varied, with fires breaking out and spreading, needing the player to go into survival mode to put them out. Magazines could explode, resulting in massive damage and sometimes instant death.

When a ship sinks, it should not always sink in a perfect vertical line, it should follow the damage to the ship as we can see it. When sinking, crew members would be jumping over board, there should be appropriate and harrowing sound effects as crew members try to survive. As it sinks, persistent flotsam and jetsam - crates, timbers etc should fall off the ship and remain floating. Maybe players, as per PotBS, would have a chance to salvage cargo at the end of the battle.

• Like 2

Great game so far, it is fun to use small ships, cutters etc. in large fleet actions with 1st, and 2nd rates and although there is a high risk of being sunk the nimbleness of the lighter ships allows you to cause plenty of damage to the larger ships and can force them to take evasive action enabling the larger ships on your team to gain superior positions. I think this should be encouraged in PVP battles - perhaps damage bonus when operating against much larger ships?

I would like to see the addition of a compass rose to the telescope so that relative bearings of other ships can be plotted and headings calculated and speeds estimated. A wind strength gauge would be nice too!

As I get more into the game and fight more battles in PVP, usually against much bigger ships, I think a good addition to the idea of repairs would be a method, slider bar perhaps? Whereby you could allocate crew resources to repairs, ongoing not finite. So if you allocate lots of crew ton repairing the ship you become less manouverable, fewer gun crews in effect etc. but you could maintain battle effectiveness as opposed to slowly sinking!

• Like 3

1. A direct and consistent relationship between nav-map weather patterns that affect travel speed and visibility, which in turn decide weather conditions for sea battles. It should not be random, we should be able to decide to stay in port if the weather is very bad.

2. Improved and varied storms of different strengths, all the way from 'slightly choppy' through to 'we're all gonna die'. A strong storm should be powerful enough to capsize a ship on its own, provided the player doesn't attack the waves properly.

3. Improved sinking/death mechanic/animation. Right now, the ships sails furl and the ship slowly turns into a submarine. This is highly anti-climactic, and I consider it a weakness of the current combat engine.

Destruction should be varied, with fires breaking out and spreading, needing the player to go into survival mode to put them out. Magazines could explode, resulting in massive damage and sometimes instant death.

When a ship sinks, it should not always sink in a perfect vertical line, it should follow the damage to the ship as we can see it. When sinking, crew members would be jumping over board, there should be appropriate and harrowing sound effects as crew members try to survive. As it sinks, persistent flotsam and jetsam - crates, timbers etc should fall off the ship and remain floating. Maybe players, as per PotBS, would have a chance to salvage cargo at the end of the battle.

• Like 1

And rescue crew members to augment your crew?

I would love to have the ability to visit different buildings when not at sea. Even if it's just in a simple menu. Something like "visit tavern", "visit shipyard", "visit church", "wander around town" you click on it and a picture pops up with a randomly selected text describe what happens and let you choose between different outcomes (a la "King of the Dragon Pass" if anybody ever played this gem). Outcomes should have very small impacts for most of them, like " one crew member is hurt" or "gain 2 fresh food", but some of them could add some significant bonus or malus if the risk is well balanced, this would add some really cool littles stories to write on your captain log.

Example : My ship arrives in Cherbourg with a load of tobacco, since my crew just crossed the atlantic seas and needs some well earned rest and amusement, i decide to hit the tavern before selling my tobacco, a text and picture pops up, and tells me I'm being approached by a man claiming he will buy my tobacco 20% over the normal price. Should I accept, the outcome could be : 1) Everything goes as planned, I make a significant profit form that event (75%) 2) The trade authority hears about this, and my tobacco is confiscated (25%).

I can think of hundreds and hundreds of those little stories. 

I would like to see a flag signifying you wish to parlay/negotiate terms to pass in peace. maybe you have a specific skipper you have a issue with and only wish to track and pursue that ship or clan at that moment and a unexpected confrontation is not in your master plan at that time. maybe this has been discussed already. new to the site really looking forward to being able to get involed in the game.

Hello fellow sailors and tar jackets!

I saw that someone mentioned different flags, but did someone mentioned to "strike the flag" and surrender? Can set a white flag and end the game? I personally like to see this, because it makes no sense at all if you're in a PVP the last one alive, leaking like an ol' bucket, used all you repairs and 6 enemy ships hammer yours with whatever just to end the game. It would be easier and more realistic to strike the flag. Yeah, someone will say that they don't like this idea, because they want to collect damage and grind the next ship. But geeting the next bigger ship doesn't make you a better captain and even a cutter can rake the stern of a Victory, right? So, striking the flag it is what I want to see in the game. Any comments are welcome!

Humorvoller Denker

Not sure how "little" of a thing this is as it'd require a lot of work, but various pre-made damage states for each ship would be interesting. Having your ship start off pristine, then watch as the rigging slowly becomes more shot up, split ropes hanging limp or over the sides, showing knocked over gun trucks and smashed bits of timber and disabled crew lying about would add a great deal to the atmosphere of a battle.

the flags looks nice but well it should be realistic and there where no weird things on sails like creatures and stuff like that. paint the figure heads would be awsome. recooil of the guns might be awsome two. but mainly everyone just wants to play an awsome game and no crying about flags and sails i do not want to play POTBS ive quit that for an reason and most people did.