Game-Labs Forum

Little things you'd like to see

Sails
The 20% steps are sometimes to big. You should be able to trim your sails more accurately.
I suggest 5% steps, that are used when you press SHIFT + W/S then you can use 20% or 5% depending on your need.

Also I suggest that double press of W sets sail to 100% and double press S set sail to 0%. Similar to full ruder left/right.

Ruder
It would be great if you could fix the rudder to other values than full or neutral.
My suggestion is to split the rudder into 5 steps. When you double press A/D works as before set to full rudder. Press SHIFT + A/D one step left/right. Fife steps would look like this FL-4L-3L-2L-1L-N-1R-2R-3R-4R-FR
Some examples for that:

• Rudder in neutral and press SHIFT + A = 1L.
  • 3L and press SHIFT + D = 2L
  • FR and press SHIFT + A = 4L

NPC Trader
At the moment NPC trades fight to death which does not seam very logical. I think they should try to escape as they do now but when they have no chance of winning or escaping they should just surrender.

As people mentioned here, open world spyglass would be great. I'd also appreciate fixed, customizable flags on top of masts in battle, i feel weird having random flags every fight, sometimes they are other nations flags even, makes no sense for me. Other big thing going along with open world telescope would be national flags visible there too, so we don't have to click at everyone to recognize their nation.

I'd like to see a website or app outside the game that shows your current status, equipment, outposts, resources, etc. Maybe even a place that pulls current sale prices of resources in each port. Something similar to what the Destiny/Bungie community has. Would be great for discussion outside the game or if you are not at your computer.

Id like to see the same last log in time for my friends list, just like the clan list. My friends list is cluttered with people who have sadly left and it would be nice to edit it down a little for the people who haven't logged in for a month or so. Thank you.

Once two warships close to 'pistol range' as they called it=

Ships begin exchanging small arms fire automaticaly, possibly with a trickle drain on crew for enemy ships along side.

The effect (practical or cosmetic) could be directly linked to the number of 'muskets' the ship has in its data, this would add some value to the 'Muskets and Pistols' upgrade.

Reason for this is twofold=Historical and Good game mechanic.

I will no insult anyone's intelligence with just how common it was for ships to exchange smallarms fire without ever boarding, and how it had drastic effects on crews...not to mention national heroes.

As far as game mechanic (and looking totally cool) it would 1) encourage the use of modules that are currently ignored completely and 2) encourage players to avoid closing to collision distance UNLESS they had intent to board or exchange crew loss (which again would vary based on ships complement of musket #).

It would also add to crew loss in close battles, SERIOUSLY hampering people who grossly undercrew ships.  So a Constitution with 250 crew next to a Surprise with 260 would have the cannon firepower advantage, however the exchange in musket fire from the marine complemented Surprise would gradually whittle the crew away (much slower than grape ofc) and could facilitate a boarding action despite the inherent bonus the Connie would have (deck height)...severely undercrewing a ship like that SHOULD be a risky proposition compared to what it is now.

• Like 2

Now, I personally think that adding the random occurrence of fog during battles could add an interesting dynamic to any game. The ability to hide in fog to throw off an overpowering enemy's fire could decide who wins and who loses. It really wouldn't be that hard to implement either, given that when one fires their cannons, we are met with a sizable amount of white smoke. tweaking this already existing texture could be simple, or incredibly hard, i have no clue on the matter of computers 

OW is currently very quiet with just a hint of some sea sounds.

I am a big believer in the importance of sound to create a suitable atmosphere and enhance the immersion factor.

Sailing in OW towards your mission target, for example, could include some dramatic music and battle drums on the approach to the target.

Anything to break the quiet monotony.

• Like 1

ahoy captains

i would like to have extended battlestatistiks and based on thoose i would like a battleranking .

personally i was thinking mainly about combatstatistiks but once the tradingsystem is fully developed it also makes sense to have statistiks there.

right now players can gater information about how they are doing in battle by clicking ctrl+l during battle ,by clicking battle information in the final screen of battle and by checking their log in the chatinterface.

in the battle information of the final battlescreen i would like to see some more data .

ie "you were sailing in a basic cutter,your 12 cannons fired 300 bullets durig battle (200 ball 40 grape 60 chain).50 shots hit a target (35 ball 10 grape 5 chain).therefore you dealt 1750 damage to hostile armor ,killed 10 enemycrewmembers and reduced sails by 10%.meanwhile your ship recived 25 hits (10 ball 10 grape 5 chains) and suffered 600 armordamage 35%saildamage and 5 crewmembers were killed."

based on theese battle data you could invent a battleranking and give away titles for players with best battleresults .

ie: "dutch master of damage in small battles" for the dutch player who dealt the most damage in a small battle during a certain timeperiod (week )

or "french leroy jenkins" for the french player who deals no damage at all in a battle and sinks in the same battle :-)

of course it would make sense to make theese somehow extended battlereports availiable for players after they left the battle screen. maybe it could be accessed with a button in the players log of the chatinterface.

the reason why i would like to see more statistiks is to make the game more competitive .

thinking about a battleranking i would like access to a 1vs1 pvp battle from the mission menue where only an opponent with a similar ship class (and later with a similar battleranking) can show up.

tx for reading this

Considering a variation of the Jolly Roger is being shown ('Calico' Jack Rackham's Jolly Roger is usually the contemporary flag used, and is arguably the one most people attribute to pirates), it is well documented that pirate crews (as well as naval ships) had bands to play on them, but it is also documented that some Pirate captains had their bands play during the battle and in boarding combat to inspire the crew and scare the enemy ("these buggers are playing music when they should be fighting for their lives, they must surely be all mad!")

Now the question is this: Which musicians are you speaking of? Because while Beethoven and Bach (and etc.) where indeed alive during the NA span of time, it all depends on where you where if you were going to hear them, it was very unlikely to come across a tavern in Charleston playing Mozart, but the revers would be true in Europe (depending on your setting)

With some refinement, this idea gets my vote.

Would the music from Master and Commander be of any help. Like the soundtrack to it.

Including the sailors, song's?

Like: Farewell and adeiu to you Spainsh Lady? Something like that. An English Tar???

And of course what would have been sung by other Nations (with Subtitles, to help you out. And the samefor them, to hear English, etc, to be fair.)

Edited by Downunderjock

I would like to be able to name or rename ships.

This, simply being able to rename your vessel makes a huge difference for immersion in my opinion. Of course more sea sound effects and perhaps birds and some random marine life to liven up the open world or tactical battles?  I would also love to see cannons have recoil and crew members more active in the rigging and crow's nest etc. (features I really enjoyed watching in POTBS battles :)

I know things are likely already out of the running (time/resources/etc), many have already been mentioned and even more are being contemplated. 

Not only additional crew/animations for those whose machine can handle it, but some variety as well. Marines, officers, etc. Also would love to see crew along the ratlines and perhaps Marines shooting muskets from the tops.

Captain avatar in battle instance. Just have him standing at the quarterdeck with a set of basic animations (looking through his glass, pointing, shouting orders). On top of that, thought it might be a good idea for micro transactions to be able to slight customize your captain (choose between additional uniforms, hats, etc). 

Signal flags or lanterns for when folks type in chat during a battle. Just use generic things like (enemy frigate in sight, engage enemy more closely, wear in succession, etc.)

Ability to customize ship (this has been discussed in depth, just adding my 2 cents). 

Beat to quarters as soon as you load into a battle instance. 

Ability to have the ship appear with closed gun ports in open world. 

Recoil of the guns (don't think this qualifies as a small thing, could see some difficulties with this). 

Wish we could have smoke linger longer, but realize that is it liking very taxing, especially for large battles.

• Like 1

It would be realy nice if there was some dynamic where we could link up with friendly ships while at sea and transfer cargo from one to the other. Something similar to boarding but instead of capturing the ship it gives you the option to load cargo from one to the other.

A mechanism for "forgiving" or "complaining" friendly fire damage, at the end of a battle.

A friend accidentally hits you when in tight battle; you click "forgive", and their XP loss is substantially reduced.

A troll enters your battle and green-on-green attacks you; you click "complain", and their XP loss is substantially increased.