Game-Labs Forum

Little things you'd like to see

I don't know if anyone has thought of this but I would like to be able to move my HUDs to locations other than bottom left and right. With a big screen like mine the option to stack them one atop the other would be useful as I wouldn't have to drag my attention away in the heat of battle to see I'm taking on water.

Gunports and gun animations, this way traders would always have closed ports.

Also pb to have limited slots for 3-1 rate ships example 1*

First 2* second and 3* third. And that players would need to before battle need to achieve the slots for pb so the composition would vary. I mean not to achieve their own slot but also open the slots for top rate ships.

Edited by James Thomson

An ultra-realistic battle setting that would confine your view to your own deck (or at best partway up the bottom set of shrouds).  IMHO one of the most stunning visual effects of the game are the clouds of gunsmoke following a broadside, which frequently completely obscures the target.  It's too easy to re-orient yourself by leaving gunnery view and zooming out above the smoke.

To quote Jack Aubrey,"We'll give them a broadside then board in the smoke"

An expanded keymapping, things like specific keys for full sail, half sail etc, also perhaps half rudder along with the current full rudder and expanding the [v] and [r] buttons to specific keys. The quick keys can still be used but this way the game controls can be easily connected to voice command programs which will then allow disabled people access to the game.

There are eye direction software but VR compatible would be great for everyone including disabled

borderless window.

cannot find a way to do it and the full screen option provokes some lockups for some reason.

This!!! Window mode is less enjoyable but I want to be able to do stuff on my 2nd monitor and I can't do that in full screen without minimizing the game.

@Borderless Window

You only need two applications to play any Steam game in borderless window with cursor locked to window.

1. Cursor Lock (Freeware, http://www.snakebytestudios.com/projects/apps/cursor-lock/)

2. "Borderless Gaming" App from Steam (Paid) or maybe try this one: http://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/download

After a few configuration steps you have a borderless window, fullscreen and the cursor only lefts the window if you ALT+TAB.

Feel free to drop me a PM when you have difficulties configuring these.

• Like 1

I love this game, but it bugs me to no end to be sailing upwind with square rigged sails unfurled. I would love more control over which sails open (rather than just setting a speed) maybe have the ability to open/close square rigged and lateen sails interdependently of each other (as an advanced option?)...both in OW and in battle. Just my thought. 

Great job so far! I'm in love with this title.

Well there are a few things that I would love to see in the game that would enhance the players experience in the game. 

1- To put some life into the Open ocean and in battles. The open ocean looks so dead without whales, seaguls, school of fish swimming close to the surface of the ocean and dolphins.

2- The other thing that would make the game a little better is to also make the sails on the ships look more realistic. They look like stiff pieces of wood when you are sailing around the open ocean and also when you are in combat. The sails never deflate or behave in the proper way after they are pulled all the way down. 

3- For the ship boarding to actually be ship boarding. Not some rock paper and scissors game.

Those are the only three that I can think of now, but I am sure that I have thought up of more. 

Well hope you guys look into this and hopefully you guys do something about one of the things that I mentioned on here. 

Thank you for your time,

ContraStorm.  B)

• Some minor ship customizations like paintscheme / colours. ( ofc from a set amount of different typical colours and shades )

The proper swedish flag used by the swedish navy since late 16th century ( https://translate.google.se/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fsv.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSveriges_%25C3%25B6rlogsflagga&edit-text=&act=url )

• Like 1

1. Provisioning. 

I think the game would benefit in many ways by having a provisioning system. Crew would require food and fresh water the entire time at sea. If you run out of either, you would have the option of going into a "scavenging" stance to fish/hunt/whatever to try and get more supplies together (what you're able to get would depend on where you're currently anchored and what the weather is like: anchored near an island? Chances of finding food are good. Is it raining? Chances of collecting fresh water are good, etc.) If you are out of food or water for too long, crew morale drops to critical levels and the crew mutinies. You lose your ship as though it had been sunk.

Combat would require having both powder and shot. The cannon info tool-tip would clearly state how much powder the cannon requires to fire. Multiply by the number of cannons and the number of shots you're comfortable setting out with.

Now, this may seem like pointless micromanagement. But I think it opens up an quite a few interesting gameplay decisions to the player. Long trips suddenly become more than just "set heading, watch Netflix." If you find yourself in a battle that you did not intend, you have to decide whether you have the necessary shot and powder or whether you should just make a run for it.

This also ties in pretty closely with what I would like to see next.

2. Realistic (or pseudo-realistic) Wind Patterns (including calms)

I know that there's a lot of debate about calms. Many people think that they would add nothing to the game. And, as the game currently stands, they would be right. Calms would merely delay you; a pointless time-sink. But if you have to worry about having necessary food and fresh water for your crew, suddenly calms become a lot more interesting and dangerous. Planning your trips according to the prevailing winds (which would be clearly indicated on the map) becomes a lot more important.

Would it be possible to, even with the best laid plans, find yourself becalmed by no fault of your own and lose your ship to a mutiny? It would (assuming you didn't provision appropriately). But that's a peril of the sea, every bit as much as the peril of being jumped and destroyed by enemy players. It would be a calculated risk that people would have to consider before disembarking.

3. Storms

I would love to see some proper storms. Storms that pull you out of the open world and drop you on a battle map for a certain period of time. If you don't sail through them correctly, they will actually sink your ship. And even if you do sail through them correctly, will still tear you up. Even if I do literally everything correctly, I want to at least be blown off course. 

4. Out-of-Battle Crew Mechanics

Right now, the ships we sail might as well be model ships. They're beautiful and accurate, but lifeless. The game is completely lacking in personality. It's almost clinical. I think adding out-of-battle crew interactions would go a long way towards giving the game a much needed shot of personality. The (currently unused) Officer slots on the ships seem to indicate that there are already plans for something in this direction, but I think making players balance their officers between effectiveness and morale would make officer selection a lot more interesting. You could build your officer corps toward maximum effectiveness (under some pretty hellish conditions for the crew) and it would work fantastically for short voyages. But if something unexpected happened (like a calm, for example (see how this all ties together)) and you were forced to remain at sea longer than anticipated, managing morale to prevent a mutiny (increasing food rations, distributing alcohol amongst the crew (assuming you brought some with you), etc.) would be a real challenge. Or you could take the other route and hire officers that give bonuses to crew morale at the cost of effectiveness. Your chances for mutiny would be reduced substantially, but so would your ship's performance. Again, a calculated risk.

5. Navigation

We need tools to navigate in the open world. At the very least, we should have access to the spyglass (how is this not already a thing?), a protractor, a sextant and whatever other tools they had at the time to figure out where they were. (Why do I have to go to burningsail.com to use a tool that I should have access to on the game map?) Things that no one has to use if they don't want to, but that would allow you to figure out your position if you get lost (like if you're blown off course by a storm and you're provisions are running low, for instance.)

6. General Living World Improvements

This is all just visual fluff, but it would help to breathe some life into the game. Allowing us to see the townspeople of whatever port we're docked in going about their business behind our port interface would be welcome. Having the proper number of crew going about their business on the decks of our ships (and trading musket shots and racing around during battle) would be fantastic. (and don't talk to me about performance problems. Empire: Total War did this seven years ago. It can be done.) Birds, dolphins, whales, etc. The game needs some life and personality. Oh, and a hand-drawn calligraphy-style map would be awesome and thematically appropriate. 

Edited by Decoy
  • Like 4

Further refining of Boarding mechanics - deck by deck.

Each deck has an assigned number of men and, in the case of the RN, fusiliers/marines at the stairs covering entraces. This enables the gun deck crew to continue to fire while the top deck is already in melee.

Gun deck crews normally have 4 times more men than the rest.

I would like to see a small a very small chance of a ship exploding in combat. Some navagation tools you can use to find a general position on the map. More cusomization of the ships. maybe more activity on the ships. maybe for pirates the ability to raid national ports, where you can capture some goods or a ship as in a cutting out expedition. maybe attack forts to weaken them before port battles.