Game-Labs Forum

Little things you'd like to see

Diplomacy:

I am not sure how this would be determined, but I think it is neccesary to be able to have other nations as allies, enemies or neutral.

Multifaction battles:

Instead of having only two factions fighting in a battle, why not more?

For example, I am British and I come uppon a battle in OW between French and Spanish, but Britain are allied with Spain at that stage, so I join the battle and come to the aid of my fellow Spaniards (Under British Colors).

Or Britain is at war with Spain and France, I join the battle and fight both the Spaniards and the French under British colors.

Captured ships:

The abbility to add captured ships to your fleet. You should still pay for a Captain to crew it for example, but it would be nice if we could make use of all the extra ships sitting in our ports.

Being able to send a captured ship to your outpost with cargo.

The abbility for AI Traders to surrender in hopeless cases and surrender his ship and cargo to you. I have chased down traders, demasted them, killed their crew to basically nothing, almost sank their ship yet they kept fighting till the last drop of blood. This is not historical accurate, traders' best weapon was speed and trying to run from a battle. If they couldnt, they would normally surrender.

For my thoughts on what I'd like to see added:

1. Crew Management. So you lose crew in a battle. You should therefore have a depleted crew coming out of the battle and in open world. You will therefore need to go to a friendly port (or neutral) to replenish crew.

2. Supplies. I'd like to see the need of supplies. Food, fresh water, rum etc to keep your crew alive, fit and sane on the open seas.

3. Ships log. A log that you can record ship spread and bearings, locations at times, spotted sails, trading Information from ports from your last visit (inc. Prices)

4. Group icon to be replaced by a pennant on your ship. The game is stunning. So having a whacking great icon above friends ships is a bit of an isore. Using a pennant instead would do the same job but it will add the need of communication and staying in sight of one another more than before. Plus it'd look freaking awesome.

5. Signal flags. Useful to communicate in group, port, small and large battles. Means captains will need to actually pay attention to squadron members to succeed. Of course with friends Teamspeak will always trump this but for the ones without, its a useful and.immersive addition.

6. The ability to close gunports. Trader vessels with open supports? Why?

7. Ability to name your ship at purchase. Or, as was done, to rename captured vessels.

8. The need to crew captured vessels back to port using a skeleton crew as was done. Having them magically appear in your capital is hardly immersive. Especially when it contains cargo you can sell but can't carry on your current fleet. Adding captured vessels to your fleet and using its hold.

9. Probably a bit far fetched this one but the ability to see and/or use a dock at ports. Giving ports variation would add much more to them and being able to dock would be far more appealing than just sailing up to a port and clicking enter. Unknown if this is possible.

10. I don't know if this will ever be a thing long term but land battles to capture forts in the long run? Having the need to damage defences from the sea and then land to take the main town.

11. The possibility to see boarding action instead of just a menu (aware it's beta) but would look awesome.

12. Clan made flags

... I'm aware it's beta currently and I will admit I don't know how much the devs are putting into this game but these are just some of the thi.vs that would add much gameplay and immersion to the completed product. Any thoughts?

Map/exploration: After you visit port, resources are listed if you click/hover mouse over it.

Navigation: ability to set waypoints, kind of like an auto pilot. Or be able to auto sail to discovered ports. This would be at your own risk if you are afk and get attacked.

Would really really enjoy this feature!

For my thoughts on what I'd like to see added:

1. Crew Management. So you lose crew in a battle. You should therefore have a depleted crew coming out of the battle and in open world. You will therefore need to go to a friendly port (or neutral) to replenish crew.

2. Supplies. I'd like to see the need of supplies. Food, fresh water, rum etc to keep your crew alive, fit and sane on the open seas.

3. Ships log. A log that you can record ship spread and bearings, locations at times, spotted sails, trading Information from ports from your last visit (inc. Prices)

4. Group icon to be replaced by a pennant on your ship. The game is stunning. So having a whacking great icon above friends ships is a bit of an isore. Using a pennant instead would do the same job but it will add the need of communication and staying in sight of one another more than before. Plus it'd look freaking awesome.

5. Signal flags. Useful to communicate in group, port, small and large battles. Means captains will need to actually pay attention to squadron members to succeed. Of course with friends Teamspeak will always trump this but for the ones without, its a useful and.immersive addition.

6. The ability to close gunports. Trader vessels with open supports? Why?

7. Ability to name your ship at purchase. Or, as was done, to rename captured vessels.

8. The need to crew captured vessels back to port using a skeleton crew as was done. Having them magically appear in your capital is hardly immersive. Especially when it contains cargo you can sell but can't carry on your current fleet. Adding captured vessels to your fleet and using its hold.

9. Probably a bit far fetched this one but the ability to see and/or use a dock at ports. Giving ports variation would add much more to them and being able to dock would be far more appealing than just sailing up to a port and clicking enter. Unknown if this is possible.

10. I don't know if this will ever be a thing long term but land battles to capture forts in the long run? Having the need to damage defences from the sea and then land to take the main town.

11. The possibility to see boarding action instead of just a menu (aware it's beta) but would look awesome.

12. Clan made flags

... I'm aware it's beta currently and I will admit I don't know how much the devs are putting into this game but these are just some of the thi.vs that would add much gameplay and immersion to the completed product. Any thoughts?

Good thoughts..should get ingame soon :)

• Like 1

This may have been suggested before but I would like the spy glass fearure to be available in OW as well as in battle. I think it would be useful in both hunting and navigation

I can't speak for the devs but I am almost certain an overhaul of the OW UI is up for a change at some point, I think its fairly low down on their to do list list but it would be good to see the battle mechanics expanded out into the open world, as I'm sure you are aware, currently all boats show their sail plan as a basic triangle sail rigging so I'm sure its just a case of waiting for things to happen. :)

- a slider bar for OW ship repair with the default set to minimum quantity required to bring repairs to 100%.  Reduce slider for partial repairs.  Save having to do multiple repair sequences; its slow with the network lag.

- Vertical orientation for ship damage plans in combat screen.  this will give a more intuitive perspective of your own ship (helpful I think, even though the enemy may not be oriented per plan).  so, maybe a rotating view of the enemy ship damage plan that corresponds with the relative direction - i.e.  enemy ship plan rotates.

- quick shot damage assessment in text (where 'crew shock' text comes up) in battle screen showing net effect of shot on enemy.  this would be realistic as ships had spotters assessing damage.

Could the UI use a more universal word than "Him" when referring to other people in game? It can be insulting to some people and would like to see this changed to something a little more accepting of gender and sex. Potentially change stuff for example to, "You are invisible or invulnerable so cannot attack them" A little change can make a big difference to some players, please consider it, thank you.

• Like 2

Could the UI use a more universal word than "Him" when referring to other people in game? It can be insulting to some people and would like to see this changed to something a little more accepting of gender and sex. Potentially change stuff for example to, "You are invisible or invulnerable so cannot attack them" A little change can make a big difference to some players, please consider it, thank you.

Don't see the issue. For the time period it's correct.

• Like 2

Not just period correct, but grammatically correct as well.  If gender is unknown in English, the masculine should technically be used, though in common usage these days that has changed to using the plural in most cases.

• Like 1

For 2016 its not correct? The game refers to players who can be bother male, female or whatever identity, not captains of historical ships, even so there are enough records of occasional female captains to justify a universal reference, although that's not the point. If we are going to go for the kind of attitude you are suggesting, would you be allowed to captain a ship? Do you come from the right social class or background, if so shall we force you to do a mandatory test to prove competence in captaincy?

Not just period correct, but grammatically correct as well.  If gender is unknown in English, the masculine should technically be used, though in common usage these days that has changed to using the plural in most cases.

This isn't true any more, modern language has moved on fairly recently from male primary as you kind of say yourself. Even so I'm not sure why you two are being resistant to a tiny change that will potentially make more people feel more welcome in the game, a wide and open community is better than a closed one and the use of language can make a surprising difference to some people.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy

For 2016 its not correct? The game refers to players who can be bother male, female or whatever identity, not captains of historical ships, even so there are enough records of occasional female captains to justify a universal reference, although that's not the point. If we are going to go for the kind of attitude you are suggesting, would you be allowed to captain a ship? Do you come from the right social class or background, if so shall we force you to do a mandatory test to prove competence in captaincy?

This isn't true any more, modern language has moved on fairly recently from male primary as you kind of say yourself. Even so I'm not sure why you two are being resistant to a tiny change that will potentially make more people feel more welcome in the game, a wide and open community is better than a closed one and the use of language can make a surprising difference to some people.

There is a lot about this game that is anachronistic.  I, for one, enjoy that.  Keeping as much to the era as possible increases the immersion and is why this game is more enjoyable (again, at least for me) than something more fantastical, such as Pirates of the Burning Sea.  Let's face it, we could get a similar game set in space, a random 3rd world country, etc.  Part of what makes this game special and unique is the era.  There is a mystique surrounding this age of 'wooden ships and iron men,' and it can be seen by many of the player names that refer to characters in the Hornblower, Aubrey/Maturin, Ramage, and other literary series.  There are also plenty of people who take their names from historical characters.  I'd like to stay as much as possible in the historical period, and the language is part of that time.  Though language has and still is evolving, we have a fairly good understanding of where it stood at the time.  I'd rather us not start calling the vessels 'tall ships' because that's the modern term for pretty much all of them, or add popular vessels outside of the time period because they're still 'tall ships' (Peking as a trader?  No thank you!).  So, it's not that I wish to ostracize any potential players.  Quite the opposite, actually.  I wish to have the game be unique and stay as true to it's identity as possible.
  • Like 2

There is a lot about this game that is anachronistic.  I, for one, enjoy that.  Keeping as much to the era as possible increases the immersion and is why this game is more enjoyable (again, at least for me) than something more fantastical, such as Pirates of the Burning Sea.  Let's face it, we could get a similar game set in space, a random 3rd world country, etc.  Part of what makes this game special and unique is the era.  There is a mystique surrounding this age of 'wooden ships and iron men,' and it can be seen by many of the player names that refer to characters in the Hornblower, Aubrey/Maturin, Ramage, and other literary series.  There are also plenty of people who take their names from historical characters.  I'd like to stay as much as possible in the historical period, and the language is part of that time.  Though language has and still is evolving, we have a fairly good understanding of where it stood at the time.  I'd rather us not start calling the vessels 'tall ships' because that's the modern term for pretty much all of them, or add popular vessels outside of the time period because they're still 'tall ships' (Peking as a trader?  No thank you!).  So, it's not that I wish to ostracize any potential players.  Quite the opposite, actually.  I wish to have the game be unique and stay as true to it's identity as possible.

So how does changing things like him to them take away this immersion? I would never suggest calling the ships tall ships or anything like that but there's someone who frequents the forums who has the character Elisabeth Swan, it ruins immersion a little bit when you see a female name referred to him and while the female player base is a minority it does happen and going back to your previous point they do sometimes have names that identify themselves as not a "him". The game has to make some small compromises between what was acceptable then and what is now and this is surely one of them, sorry but I can't see how you can justify the man references only. I'm bringing this up because someone I play with got a bit fed up with the slightly sexist feel to the game and is on the verge of quitting because of this and the attitude of some of the community, which might not feel particularly bad as a man but it can be frustrating as someone else who perhaps isn't or doesn't identify as so. If it has happened once it can happen again. Historically women were never as oppressed as we now make it seem, there were plenty women throughout history who owned ships, oversaw guilds and other activities from all kinds of backgrounds from rich heiresses to widowers looking for a new life, while they weren't always openly men like Anne Bonny, and it was more fairly uncommon, it seems silly to pretend that these women didn't exist.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy

I already posted on this subject on another thread but I thought I'd post here too. I've been away from the game and the forums for quite a while so I hope that I'm not sailing on seas that have already been charted.

Slugfest...Premium ships that you don't loose. How about a server/mode where a player can sail and fight a premium/bought ship for nothing more than bragging rights. If you like wooden war ships you really want to sail a first rate at least once in a while. If you're a mmo player you want to sail against other people. If you don't have lots of time to grind or craft and would rather just buy a ship and just go fight it, this is the answer. If you can sail your $40 ship and not loose it, and not effect the conquest aspect of the game in a duel mode it would be a win/win for all.  

!. A player could satisfy the desire to exercise one's skills and desires to sail a REALLY big ship and there would be no fear of loss.  

2. Good practice for when a big port battle comes.

3. No pay to win, just pay to loose a 50 gun broadside.

4. Game Labs can make some chink and we all can keep playing.

5. Someone in a schooner can try to figure out how to beat a 74.

6. No one would get buthurt about to loosing a 200000000 pound ship to a sloop that has photon torpedoes that were bought on the Naval Action ridiculous Store for $29.99.

7. It might be kind of fun to fire or get blowed up by those photon torpedoes.

8. Instead of thinking only of WINNING, we could just have fun, shoot at other people and call them stoopidhead and stuff. Oh, and have FUN!!!!

This was my idea for a good ship fighting game. I want to take part in the other aspects as well but grinding is way too time consuming. No loss fights would be good. Heck, we could even have a list of Duel winners somewhere. A bunch of players could gang up on one ship just to see it EXPLODE, in DX11 graphics. If Michael Bay plays this game I think that he would want to see that and include Transforming Robot War Ships.

Well, anyway. Just a thought. Don't know if it could be implemented. Also premium against NPC ships would be good too. Some times a lad or lass just wants to go out and blow things up. I work nights and there are going to be times when my future Navy Action friends are sleeping.

Thank you for your consideration.

It's good to be sailing again.

So how does changing things like him to them take away this immersion? I would never suggest calling the ships tall ships or anything like that but there's someone who frequents the forums who has the character Elisabeth Swan, it ruins immersion a little bit when you see a female name referred to him and while the female player base is a minority it does happen and going back to your previous point they do sometimes have names that identify themselves as not a "him". The game has to make some small compromises between what was acceptable then and what is now and this is surely one of them, sorry but I can't see how you can justify the man references only. I'm bringing this up because someone I play with got a bit fed up with the slightly sexist feel to the game and is on the verge of quitting because of this and the attitude of some of the community, which might not feel particularly bad as a man but it can be frustrating as someone else who perhaps isn't or doesn't identify as so. If it has happened once it can happen again. Historically women were never as oppressed as we now make it seem, there were plenty women throughout history who owned ships, oversaw guilds and other activities from all kinds of backgrounds from rich heiresses to widowers looking for a new life, while they weren't always openly men like Anne Bonny, and it was more fairly uncommon, it seems silly to pretend that these women didn't exist.

Sorry but in all likelyhood in this period, when you saw a ship, you'd assume it was a 'him' and say 'let's go after him' or 'let's give him a broadside'. You wouldn't stop to ask for gender really. It doesn't ruin immersion for most players if who click the other suppsed female player if your UI messages assumes it is a him in it. So there's not really an issue here.  The ammount of 17th century female captains you can probably count on one hand.

Edited by Absintheminded
  • Like 2

I proposed some time ago ( i think this was early beta with open world) that we need somekind of system of sink letters. We can called " Report to Admirality". This letter would be generated automaticaliy after battle to winner in pvp battle only. In this letter would be short message (mail) information about engagement, loses done , place where battle was (no exactly - some approximation) and winner side. This might be important information about strategy on long terms on whole map. This idea is some kind of eve online killmail  variation. It can have many interesting uses in game.

On the map:

The cursor turns to a compass rose

There's a search box to enter a town name into

You can filter towns i.e. the icons next to the towns top right of the map are radio buttons and you can turn off factions on the map

Thanks!

Sorry but in all likelyhood in this period, when you saw a ship, you'd assume it was a 'him' and say 'let's go after him' or 'let's give him a broadside'. You wouldn't stop to ask for gender really. It doesn't ruin immersion for most players if who click the other suppsed female player if your UI messages assumes it is a him in it. So there's not really an issue here.  The ammount of 17th century female captains you can probably count on one hand.

Technically speaking, ships are female - so you wouldn't say 'let's give him a broadside' you would be more likely to say 'let's give her a broadside'.  'I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky, and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by... (John Edward Masefield)

• Like 1