Game-Labs Forum

Patch 12. Caribbean invasion

admin

19 minutes ago, Sella22 said:

To be honest, all the eye candy helps to get new players in. So i wouldn't say no

Eye candy is great and all, but some actual fixes and such will go far further. 

I have seen all of the prettiest games in the past do really pretty things and ultimately still end up dead. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Eye candy is great and all, but some actual fixes and such will go far further. 

I have seen all of the prettiest games in the past do really pretty things and ultimately still end up dead. 

Ugly UI resulted in massive player loss alone. Think about it. All those players returned game or quit just because it looks ugly. Don't underestimate the look. It should be done right and professional. Not many understand it and pay dearly. 

Edited by George Washington

38 minutes ago, George Washington said:

Ugly UI resulted in massive player loss alone. Think about it. All those players returned game or quit just because it looks ugly. Don't underestimate the look. It should be done right and professional. Not many understand it and pay dearly. 

Sorry but I have to disagree.  From my experience game play and stability trumps pretty and eye candy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eyesore said:

Tow to port added - players will be able to transport one ship per day instantly.

I think the move should be at maintenance (the way it is proposed now, you'll just see people teleporting their ships to PB's ... )

While I tend to agree and would prefer the tow after maintenance, I'm willing to wait and see whether this (instantaneous tow) causes more problems than it fixes. I would assume its goal is to put more "action" into Naval Action. That would be a good thing.

32 minutes ago, PIerrick de Badas said:

best things in this small patch is : xp if not ennemy sunk

Yep tested it captured a AI trader just to see and got 50 xp for the damage I did.   Going to be nice for the new guys and guys still leveling up.  I been fighting this since testbed before the wipe.

• Like 1

I don't know the exact reason for it but for some reason I have seen lots of players on the open world today. Maybe many are changing their nation and move ships around. But overall this patch seems really nice.
Safezone sizes seem more reasonable now (maybe still a little bit too large).
Liking the Gambling feature - though I wasn't very lucky with it so far, heh.
It also looks like there are some decent RvR forces in creation - a better RvR balance should keep the server alive over time and stop players from leaving due to boredom of either getting stomped or not being able to fight anyone.
Tow feature should be okay at 1 ship per day. Just stops the pointless afk-sailing for several hours, but you also cannot spam all your outposts with ships. Got to be careful with the decision.
But I still don't like the Wasa at its current form of armor / amarment / speed combo - today a wasa was keeping up with me (Surprise) at Beam Reach. IMHO it needs some severe balancing in both BR and reduction of either armor, speed or firepower.

Edited by Liq
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Good patch, but

Do you think a doctor can make 100s of injured men battle-ready during boarding? Besides the realism its also a bad gamemechanic. Before that it was like: "Okay, I need to kill X crew so that I can win boarding." Thats not possible anymore when enemy has surgeon ready or if you dont know if he used it already.

It's been this way for weeks. You want no risk boarding, you better watch for surgeon skill use. I've been saving my surgeon for during boarding. Also, crew damage isn't realistic anyhow, very very rarely could a lineship be raked down to 100 crew for instance. So why should surgeon skill be? Surgeon skill merely reflects the unrealistic amount of crew damage that can be done

Edited by Malachy

49 minutes ago, Malachy said:

It's been this way for weeks. You want no risk boarding, you better watch for surgeon skill use. I've been saving my surgeon for during boarding. Also, crew damage isn't realistic anyhow, very very rarely could a lineship be raked down to 100 crew for instance. So why should surgeon skill be? Surgeon skill merely reflects the unrealistic amount of crew damage that can be done

I always watch for some one to burn there crew/rum in a fight.  Than that is when I go in for the board while it's on cool down so they can't pop it.  Saving my own for the fight.

1 minute ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I always watch for some one to burn there crew/rum in a fight.  Than that is when I go in for the board while it's on cool down so they can't pop it.  Saving my own for the fight.

I usually use it when I pop a sail repair. With decent sails I can usually prevent rage boarders from boarding me until then next sail repair pops. I carry so much rum it's ridiculous. Most of my lineships can fight for 4 to 6 hours without having to restock repairs or rum. Most people can't sail worth a damn and rage boarders have taken advantage of this for a long time. The only times I've been boarded in the last 6 months were due to disconnects. 

1 hour ago, Liq said:

But I still don't like the Wasa at its current form of armor / amarment / speed combo - today a wasa was keeping up with me (Surprise) at Beam Reach. IMHO it needs some severe balancing in both BR and reduction of either amarment, speed or firepower.

I agree, the Wasa is simply over the top OP and i said it when they added it to the test server the first time but people didn't care / agree too much... Now i actually LOVE the Wasa and don't want them to nerf it because i enjoy the speed combined with 10 chaser guns so much but it really overshadows most other ships completely. Watched CaptainReverse's stream the other day and he always used surprise to hunt - now it's Wasa...

My suggestion would be to either increase its mark cost or remove its ability to carry 32 pd guns and also nerf armor hp ( not thickness ) a bit to bring it in line with the other 4th rates. What do you think Liq?

• Like 2

@Landsman @Liq

My fix to the wasa would be to bring it back to it's testbed cannon fitting, which was 9/18/24...whereas now it's 9/24/32 which is ridiculous. 

It also need a BR increase to be at least 300.

When you look at the other 4th rates, there is just very little reason to use them. I wish all 4, 4th rates we have right now each had a reason to use...i suppose the connie is still a "super frig" but the wasa beats it on the ow as well.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

@Landsman @Liq

My fix to the wasa would be to bring it back to it's testbed cannon fitting, which was 9/18/24...whereas now it's 9/24/32 which is ridiculous. 

It also need a BR increase to be at least 300.

When you look at the other 4th rates, there is just very little reason to use them. I wish all 4, 4th rates we have right now each had a reason to use...i suppose the connie is still a "super frig" but the wasa beats it on the ow as well.

Wasa can't keep up with a Connie unless you severely under gun it. 

38 minutes ago, Malachy said:

Wasa can't keep up with a Connie unless you severely under gun it. 

hmm maybe? we've got players that have reached 15 knt speed Wasa - maybe it would be paper thin against a connie - but those 24/32 pd guns will shred through a connie.

it remains to be seen, but currently what I'm seeing is that 4th rate PB's are Wasa only, and in the OW, the Wasa is king.

2 hours ago, Landsman said:

Lmao... Constitution is no match for the Wasa actually... all you can hope is to escape its 6 bow chasers running downwind...

Heh there are 21 wasas on the eu server that thought the same thing since 11.0 hit. They all are either resting at the bottom now or have been added to clan inventory.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Teutonic said:

hmm maybe? we've got players that have reached 15 knt speed Wasa - maybe it would be paper thin against a connie - but those 24/32 pd guns will shred through a connie.

it remains to be seen, but currently what I'm seeing is that 4th rate PB's are Wasa only, and in the OW, the Wasa is king.

They actually don't. They bounce right off :) the wasa on the other hand can't bounce shit in comparison. Everything hits from virtually any angle. Wasa is a nice heavily armed port battle ship. One that's virtually free. It definately is a good ship but the other 4ths are competitive. On the OS the wasa doesn't impress me much. I've got a Connie that has over 150 battles under her belt. She can handle a wasa pretty easily. Same with the Agamemnon at close range, it actually does more damage than the wasa and is much better vs rage boarders. Each ship has a niche. The wasa seems to be a good port battle ship, but on the OS the Aggie and Connie seem to have the edge. Being able to be fast and bounce shots off the hull is huge in OS pvp.

Wasa is flavor of the month same as the Aggie was at one time and the Connie before. When the Aggie first came out all you saw were aggies in port battles, then connies started coming back too. Right now the wasa is new and sleek and everyone wants that fat bitch. When the novelty wears off we will see the other 4ths more often again. Actually lately I've been seeing a ton of other connies out there on the OS and fewer wasa. Granted a lot are around but the dynamic is starting to shift again. 

Edited by Malachy

1 hour ago, Malachy said:

Heh there are 21 wasas on the eu server that thought the same thing since 11.0 hit. They all are either resting at the bottom now or have been added to clan inventory.

At 150 marks any idiot can get a Wasa... what's your point? I'd argue some of those Wasa captains could have been taken down by a snow... When both captains are equally skilled the constitution will get trashed...

8 hours ago, Liq said:

But I still don't like the Wasa at its current form of armor / amarment / speed combo - today a wasa was keeping up with me (Surprise) at Beam Reach. IMHO it needs some severe balancing in both BR and reduction of either armor, speed or firepower.

Rebalancing the BR to something like 320 would make sense for RvR, when limited BR will be set up in port battles. Leaders would have to choose between 4 Agies and 3 Wasas.

But this doesn't solve the open world issue. 

May be, setting more fragile masts and ringing can be considered. 

Edited by Eléazar de Damas