Game-Labs Forum

Patch 10.2 - Changes to mission, crafting, ROE and other fixes

admin

49 minutes ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

It can be that carronades need a fix.

"Speed up battles", this is probably the main issue.  It was a way of fast victories (Could be still with Double Charged, but needs more testing).  It was OP.  Really ruined the game, as everything else was pointless.  Brought in game with false reasons, "It is the most difficult thing in Naval Action".  These false reasons removed meaning of skill in every other area in this game -> Really ruined the game.

1. I completely disagree with the idea that it ruined the game, with the idea that it removed the meaning of skill in other areas of the game (marksmanship against a hull is not fundamentally different from shooting masts, just a little easier, and sailing and pre-battle positioning both matter a lot, regardless), and I'm not even sure what you mean by "false reasons."

2. Did you not see this part?  "If you want to adjust it, fine, but the current balance is broken." 

I appreciate you going through all of that effort to justify why the devs changed it, but it has nothing to do with what they've changed it to, and it has nothing to do with whether the current balance is the right one. If you haven't tested the new balance, preferably with multiple ships and guns against various other ships, I would politely suggest that you withhold commenting on it until you have. If you have tested it, I ask, "did you manage to demast anything? How long did it take? How many hits to the mast did it take? What guns were you using?"

38 minutes ago, victor said:

PS: if i do not remember wrong, the historical demasting was made mainly with bar shots and chain shots trying to cut the ropes that linked the masts to the ship. Once a sufficient number of ropes was cut, the wind force itself - if sails were kept full open - at the end broke the masts.

We don't have bar shot nor is there any indication we will ever have it, so bar shot is irrelevant. I would love it if rigging damage, storms, and high winds could result in demasting. Good luck selling anyone else on that idea, though. Apparently, being demasted ruins the game.

52 minutes ago, victor said:

But one dura and "costly" ships is just what hardcore players asked to the devs and that the devs implemented in this mega patch!

So basically hardcore players are now punished for what they asked!

Can you show a popular topic or statement here in the forums where players asked for higher shipcosts or more mindless grinding? I really doubt there is one.

Implementing something poorly and when it fails jsut say "the community wanted it" is the worst excuse ever btw

Edited by Jon Snow lets go
  • Like 3

@admin

Would it be worthwhile to consider turning off possibility to repair masts considering current mast thickness? Would make demasting still a solid option in certain cases, such as large battles - group focus couple front ships to render them close to useless before engaging main fleet and similar situations.

With current possibility to repair masts with rig repairs and mast thickness demasting is almost pointless and a waste of time. No mast repairs = more options.

34 minutes ago, greybuscat said:

1. I completely disagree with the idea that it ruined the game, with the idea that it removed the meaning of skill in other areas of the game (marksmanship against a hull is not fundamentally different from shooting masts, just a little easier, and sailing and pre-battle positioning both matter a lot, regardless), and I'm not even sure what you mean by "false reasons."

2. Did you not see this part?  "If you want to adjust it, fine, but the current balance is broken." 

I appreciate you going through all of that effort to justify why the devs changed it, but it has nothing to do with what they've changed it to, and it has nothing to do with whether the current balance is the right one. If you haven't tested the new balance, preferably with multiple ships and guns against various other ships, I would politely suggest that you withhold commenting on it until you have. If you have tested it, I ask, "did you manage to demast anything? How long did it take? How many hits to the mast did it take? What guns were you using?"

1. 1vs2 with weak masts, that 1 could take easy victory by shooting masts, especially if his opponents did not shoot masts.  Skill or just broken game?  Answer: Broken game.

1.1. 1vs2 with strong masts.  Ask from yourself, what would you do?  Which one needs more skill?

2. Demasting should be a tool, a good player knows when to use it.  It should not be an answer in every possible situation.

2.1. Consitution vs Java, Constitution vs Surprise, would be nice if demasting would be an option for Constitution.  BUT NOT FOR THE SURPRISE.

2.2. Victory vs Surprise, would be nice if demasting would be an option for Victory.  BUT NOT FOR THE SURPRISE.

2.3. Search you Naval Action folder.  There are files that specify every ship in the game.  You do not have to test how many shots it takes, you can calculate it.

FYI, The game has chains shots as well.

FYI2, Grapes have been useless, as fast victory players have been asking so high crew damage for round shot.  Once again, skill cap must be lower for these guys.

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

22 hours ago, admin said:
  • Demasting rebalanced. 
    • We were not satisfied that too many pvp fights focused only on demasting and it will be much harder to destroy lower mast sections from now on. 

Just so you know, demasting is now broken. Thickness are blown way out of proportion and it requires me to be sub 50m to even pen... You guys went from making demasting too easy, to making it impossible. Try and lower the thickness a bit... Pre-patch was fine and took some effort to demast without any rigging mods. If someone was to have mods, it would negate any effort to do demast and when In a battle this adds to the mystery of what the other player has.

I was unable to demast an AI connie in my Agamenmon with guacater superior gunpowder, and the bowfigure. I shot sub 200 metres, used up all my double, and charge shot. Mast was peppered and refused to fall.....

Edited by Jean Pual Vilvenue
Too long
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, admin said:
  • Trader ships overall speed slightly reduced (by 0.4 knots)

So bring back 'Tow to Port' feature that allowed empty ships to be moved between outposts. Why? Because right now delivery time will be even longer between ports, and it was already unbearable at long distances. You can even limit it to Trader Ships only.

2 minutes ago, Darayavahus said:

So bring back 'Tow to Port' feature that allowed empty ships to be moved between outposts. Why? Because right now delivery time will be even longer between ports, and it was already unbearable at long distances. You can even limit it to Trader Ships only.

Subtracting a enemy Nation of a lot of traders is also part of the war effort. If they are in the nether how can we do it ? 

Just now, The Red Duke said:

Subtracting a enemy Nation of a lot of traders is also part of the war effort. If they are in the nether how can we do it ? 

They are not in the "Nether" as they need to make that one way trip with goods (which slow them even more with those 0,4 knts reduction in mind). And those are "Tows" between friendly nation outposts, which is not valid while trading in enemy territory (you can't have outpost there).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, King of Crowns said:

oh and since people want the conversion from pve to pvp. it needs to be risk based. therefore like 300 pve marks =1 PVP mark. seems like the right amount to me since there is 0 risk in pve. and 1/2 of this thread is about pvpers saying how hard pvp is.

thanks #elite

I think it should be impossible to convert PVE marks into PVP...but not the other way round :)

On 6/13/2017 at 5:15 AM, admin said:

Captains

Patch have been deployed to live servers today.

• Solo orders are now available for all ranks (despite they were reducing the feel of the hunt - players loved them). It was a mistake to remove them before mission agents were implemented.
  • Basic cutters are no longer pulled into PVP battles with the following conditions
  • Snow HP is increased 
  • Trader ships can now carry cannons - and will carry them. This will allow cargo hunting and baiting unprepared privateers.
  • Trader ships overall speed slightly reduced (by 0.4 knots)
  • Deceleration times reduced for the following vessels

I apologize if this has already been asked (too many posts to sort through), but are the AI trader ships affected by this new patch and are now armed, or is it only affecting players' trader ships?

3 minutes ago, AngryPanCake said:

I apologize if this has already been asked (too many posts to sort through), but are the AI trader ships affected by this new patch and are now armed, or is it only affecting players' trader ships?

Npc traders have full guns now.

• Like 1

Just now, Rick Astley said:

Npc traders have full guns now.

Thanks for the answer mate. By the way, the + one was for you providing an answer, not for the answer itself.

As far as the answer is concerned now: the "easy" money a beginner was able to make to keep his/her head above water is becoming more and more difficult.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AngryPanCake said:

Thanks for the answer mate. By the way, the + one was for you providing an answer, not for the answer itself.

As far as the answer is concerned now: the "easy" money a beginner was able to make to keep his/her head above water is becoming more and more difficult.

Stay on there arse and zig zag shooting cannon/cannonades into his rear this will knock crew and cannons out. Just use balls/ double ball.  

When you destroy most cannons on one side attack from that weakest point o7

• Like 2

3 hours ago, victor said:

This is the consequence of one dura (and very costly to replace and repair) ships: people are scared to loose any single ship and then they stick to capital, organize revenge fleets and are - in general - very cautious in each thing they do.

But one dura and "costly" ships is just what hardcore players asked to the devs and that the devs implemented in this mega patch!

So basically hardcore players are now punished for what they asked!

If hardcore PVPers ask for more rules in favour of the attacker, it seems to me that they did not learn the lessons: more advantage for the attacker + costly one dura ships will mean just ... more fear as a result.

And this will make the problem even worse.

Cheap and easy to replace (and repair) ships is the key for enhancing OS PVP. Then you can make the invisibility timer 10 seconds or one minute. Since the problem in not there!

PS: if i do not remember wrong, the historical demasting was made mainly with bar shots and chain shots trying to cut the ropes that linked the masts to the ship. Once a sufficient number of ropes was cut, the wind force itself - if sails were kept full open - at the end broke the masts.

Well then people need to stop being such delicate ladies....  What is the point of amassing ships/mats in this game if you don't use them?!?  

Bank Account Action™

Edited by Vernon Merrill

10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Increase to regional goods for refits please. I grinded the marks for the note, I have the other items but I cant craft it cause of some unobtanium material.

What resource is it ? What server ? What nation ?

11 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

What resource is it ? What server ? What nation ?

Grietje van Dijk, PVP EU, Dutch.

I know it is randomly available from Oranjestad and Fort Zoutman but player contracts already bidding on this item so.. :mellow:

1 hour ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Well then people need to stop being such delicate ladies....  What is the point of amassing ships/mats in this game if you don't use them?!?  

Bank Account Action™

The same point that there is in pretending being an elite naval captain sinking ships in a video game.

Edited by victor
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, victor said:

The same point that there is in pretending being an elite naval captain sinking ships in a video game.

You mean a video game called Naval Action based on naval combat?  How odd that I should expect people to want to engage in combat, yes....

• Like 1

It's kind of sad, I play this game for the PVP but usually only have time to play on weekends.  Three weeks in the only PVP I have had is in basic cutters. The rest of the time I've been working to get money, buy outposts, set up some buildings.  I just redeemed my pickle and surprise, bought medium cannons from the store, and I'm back to getting money so that if I do lose, I'm not completely broke. Although I did finally make a traders Lynx :D Hopefully in a month I'll be able to be more consistently pvp'ing. We will see. 

I'm going to echo what others have said:

If we are going to buff masts, it should be an HP buff and not a thickness buff as a compromise. Reason being is that if you are dumb enough to sit there watching wood splinters flying off of your masts and not pop a repair before it falls, then you deserve to be dismasted. I've taken some hard (consecutive) hits on the masts before the patch and even though there's no specific damage indicator for the masts, I have a pretty good sense of telling when something really bad is about to happen.

These new thickness changes means some players are going to be going through battles knowing good and well that they cannot be dismasted. And yes I know you can shoot the top. And also I know that'll knock maybe a knot off the ship's speed before it catches up anyway and wrecks you.

Edited by ajffighter86