Game-Labs Forum

Mega Patch 10.0

admin

4 minutes ago, smeg said:

The point I was trying to make was the rattle was SUNK/DEAD, but rather than end the mini game, it continued, he won and capd my ship.  and no my buddy didnt get the rattle kill as his crew jumped to my pickle, he got the kill when he sank the pickle.

His crew could all have been on your ship by then. It doesn't matter that their ship sunk while grappled alongside; if they defeat you in boarding then they'll just take your ship (as they did). Odd that your mate didn't get credit for both kills though. Two ships sunk should be two kills.

8 minutes ago, AkmaCraft said:

It is easier to get ships on PvE :)

That's why we're going fast.

Fleet missions now have rate restrictions (good idea) so we took 3rd rate missions.

Yah but I didn't expect them to let ya'll capture every ship, maybe keep the SOL restriction.  

Just cause you can do it, doesn't mean it's all ways the best path to take...lol

^_^ We can do mixed OW fight (frigate + pickle or constitution + surprise). Personally, I prefer OW fight because of that.

I mean we can sink the small ship and get the big one. It's fun :P

Edited by AkmaCraft
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, admin said:

we (maybe we are wrong) believe that the eco will stabilize once crafters realize that cannons is a great item to profit on and start making more of them. 

the cost of 24lb carronade is 500   you can outfit a 50 gun ship with carronades for just 25000 

If no-one will make cannons of course they will be expensive.

SORRY BUT YOU ARE WRONG!

The bare resource costs of one 24lb carronade is 650,40. Neither this price includes any wages for the used labor hours nor wages for the investment of 170.000 for the buildings you need for cannon production. If you only charge 100 gold per used labor hour, wich seem to be a reasonable price with the current system, and ignore the investment you will end up with:

24lb Carronade Price Calculation

Material = 650,40 gold

Wages per used labor hour = 100 gold

labor hours used = 4,6533 h

Total Wages = 4,6533 h x 100 gold = 465,33

24lb Carronades Price: 

1.115,73 gold

+

Markup for your investments

personal attack edited out - mods

Edit: Besides your wrong calculations, you should keep in mind, that mostly only bigger groups with a centralized eco will have the resources and time to build cannons in huge numbers. These groups will not sell any of these cannons, cause they might support the enemy. This will lead to a situation, where the casual player will not be able to replenish his losses. This will raise his frustration, he will leave the game and write a bad review on steam.

Edited by Brogsitter
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Remus said:

His crew could all have been on your ship by then. It doesn't matter that their ship sunk while grappled alongside; if they defeat you in boarding then they'll just take your ship (as they did). Odd that your mate didn't get credit for both kills though. Two ships sunk should be two kills.

The reason for the bug report is that it is a bug, Ive encountered it before but in a different way.  Even though the ship is underwater and should be dead, the boarding mini game continues to keep it alive.  Ive seen npc ships that are sinking/sunk be kept alive because of boarding, once the boarding is over the kill notification instantly pops.  Being underwater should end the boarding with no winners or losers. 

Even if I hadnt lost that round I can garuntee the boading would have continued despite the rattle being 20ft under the sea.  Thinking about, this could be used as an exploit.  lets say a player connie boarded an npc trinc.  the connie, haveing a clear crew number advantage could sit and 'tank' the boarding for endless rounds keeping it locked in place unable to fire or move.  other members of the connies fleet can then sit and damage farm in cutters.  they could continue to do this past the point of the trinc sinking and farm all 4 sides and then the structure.  once finished the connie finishes the boarding and the trinc then finally 'sinks'.

1 hour ago, AkmaCraft said:

On PvE Server (again :P) We had troubles to make fleet missions. We were 6 (2 bellona, 2 constitution, 2 indefatiguable (1800 BR)) so we tried a 3rd rate mission cause of the 2 bellona, But we had too many ships in mission. I didn't make a screen of the board, but there were about 10 ships for about 3600 BR.

I understand that you want to make this game harder than before, but for now we can't do fleet missions on PvE server.

This is just a feedback, I do not expect any change. We can do simple combat to get PvE mark, no worries. ;)

Thx

Exactly, the high rank fleet missions are almost impossible due to the npc getting 2x the BR.

5 minutes ago, AxIslander said:

I tried to craft my resource (oak log) but i realized that is not worth!!! To buy the log at  the market costs 63 gold. If i craft the log is 292 for 4 logs (292/4=73) and i lose crafting time. I think this is a bug.

I'm pretty sure it isn't, unless oak logs are being seeded in shops. That would be a bug (according to the devs).

Shop buy prices foir craftable resources have to be lower than the crafting costs else people will simply harvest oak logs and sell them to the shop to make a profit.

The devs tell us craftable resources are no longer seeded in shops, so the only way for them to get there is for players to sell them - for less than the extraction cost - presumably because they got them as loot and don't want to haul them to somewhere they can use them themselves (or sell at a higher price). The shop sell price has to be higher than the buy price, but there's no real reason for it to be higher than the crafting cost. Buy them if you want them.

4 hours ago, admin said:

question to everyone

why a new player should make a million in first day? 
why a new player should sail a heavy frigate on a second day?
why a new player should suddenly get everything without effort?

They shouldn't, nor should they sail a heavy frigate, and they certainly should put in an effort.

However, days and days and days in the basic cutter - it's a starter ship.  Wouldn't it be ok, to allow them to easily advance into a brig/snow, and then above that make it far harder?  There's a psychological factor in being jammed into a "noob" ship and forced to stay there for a long period of time.  I know it will get easier/more affordable to not be in a free everything ship as crafting comes online, but you really should hook them early by giving them an easy level or so - make it easy to get into a brig or snow - let them spend their "grinding" time in a ship that will encourage them to learn square riggers, which are most heavily represented in the game.  Make earning millions and heavy frigates a long term goal - I encourage that.  But allow some very early, easy advancements to set the hook and keep the player.

• Like 4

Here is my early feedback for this patch.

+ Much more players: populated waters: yeah ! 

+/- No alliance: more action, more danger, good for the moment. But at long term it could be a real pain for lesser populated nations. Will we see submitted vasal nations soon ? Or simple ragequit of the loosing sided players ? 

+ New damage model: seems to work fine. Fires on open mag cutters may be a little bit too much, we will see. Demasting is strong but looks all right and make the fight really dynamic. Chain shots seems to be much less op now. Multiple repairs in combat is great.

+/- Rum for surgeon, good to give rum a purpose, still it's not clear to me how much i need to take in hold to heal my crew loss: is it one bottle per crewman ? per surgeon usage ?

+ Perk changes: i like it better, tied to the captain and no free reset is all good.

+/- Ship knowledge, i like the idea, letting players having a few upgrade choices for using a ship and not loosing them if loosing a fight. On the other hand, i'm not here yet but i read about some requirement to unlock knowledge slots on bigger ships, and this needs clarification and testing imo. atm 2 slots may be too few in this system. Or even better don't tie thoses knowledge to other ship unlock, i understand knowledge from playing a lot with the same type of ship, but how having played a lot in pickle should make me a better 3rd rate captain ? Make it unlockable via pvp mark instead maybe ?

+/- Ship craft, with the lot of ships sold by ports at such low prices, and free cutter, shipcraft is dead for low level ship crafters. But with one dura on traders and frigate+, i am sure a market will come soon. We just need to solve the 7th rate ships dilemna, will they simply dissapear ? Keeping some blueprints for drops and admiralty shop, i'm not sure i like the idea. 

+ Cannons, i like them as individual items, because it allows for their weight to be taken in account and more reflexion about keeping your old cannons and completing them or buying a whole new set.  I like also the ability to salvage some on sinking ships. I would now love the ability to equip your ship with less than max number of gun to save weight / gain speed, and maybe gain hold space. They nearly double the price of every ship, quite a harsh move just when we finally test one dura, this create a lot of complain because it will create an even bigger economy gap between small and larger nations: how can a less populated nation could compete against larger playerbase generating

- Production, the cost to harvest ressources on production buildings seems a little bit too much to keep craft and production a viable source of income for the moment.

Also, maybe a part of the solution to balance those nation playerbase differences could be here: tie the production cost to the playerbase and port number of the nation ? This could help balancing rvr a little isn't it ? Otherwise, smaller nation will fall quick as soon as they loose their better ships with no chance to keep in line econ-wise with the larger ones, leading quickly to large ships ganking free cutters with no chance to comeback ? 

Overall i'm very pleased with this patch for the moment. Thank you for your job and keep on the good job !

• Like 1

I've been reading the forum all day and it seems like some people are happy with the patch and some not. I do like some of the things in this patch, but I also don't enjoy a few things with the game anymore.

It's pretty obvious that the amount of income (gold) doesn't fit the amount of time a player has to put in to be willing to go risk it all in PvP. I am sure it will be adressed and fixed so I am not too worried about it.

The mission system is a fail as it is now. All missions should be available solo. Because, there are many players out there who enjoys this way of having an income and some people just want to do their own thing cause there is not much time maybe to group up, sail, battle etc etc. It will be adressed and fixed I hope.

Another thing that I know people don't like, is that as a Pirate you can't capture ships anymore, unless it's a player ship. Whaaaat? Pirates do capture ships, no matter if it's a player or NPC, a ship is a ship, Pirates take the ship no matter what, they don't sink a ship in a fight they won fair and square.

I posted the fix for this here:

So, on to something more complex, Economy.

I don't understand why it is so difficult to get that one right. It's a daily life cyclus of every tiny goods available in this world. To get it right you will have to think backwards on the most expencive ship in the game. Let's say you have a Santisima and want it to cost 10 000 000 gold. Thats the thing wich is going to cost the most in this game. Fine, then we know we have to break this ship down into X amount of parts, costing X amount of gold, with X amount of recipies, with X amount of materials, with X amount of resources, with X amount of structures, cost of X per structure, cost of X per labour hour etc etc etc. And when you have done this, decided how much of this and that it's gonna cost and so on, you go on with the second most expencive ship in the game. You decide how much materials it's gonna be compared to Santisima, and you will already have the numbers, cause you already did it with the Santisima. Ofcourse, new mats and new cost must be added for the things that are new etc.

Further, you will have to decide a lot of other things, wich port should have wich resources, wich ports should belong to whoom, and so on..

The hard part here is to tweak and decide how much resources of each should a player be able to produce vs cost vs demand. It's not impossible at all. And I must say, if a certain resources is out of reach for a nation because the nation doesn't own any ports wich could give this resource, lets say for 5 days, then an NPC MUST start selling this resource in the shop. It has to be very expencive to buy for a player, and it will only sell very little, all the way until a nation is able to capture a port with this resource again. Because, if not, this nation will struggle forever!

The rest of production etc should only be done by players.

Tweaking the small stuff, prices, how much can you craft, how much labour hours is this and that going to cost is easy but timeconsuming. BUT IT DOES NOT GET EASY WHEN YOU ADD BUILDINGS, REMOVE BUILDINGS, PRICES UP AND PRICES DOWN, NEW RESOURCES, NEW RECEPIES, NEW THIS NEW THAT! YOU MUST STOP ADDING AND REMOVING RESOURCES UNTIL YOU CAN DO THIS ECONOMY RIGHT! Sorry Caps.

Question:

1; how is Port Battle going to be possible with no Teleports? Are people going to stay close to the Port Battle region cause the sailing takes too much time? That means less people for Port Battles for sure.

2; how are people going to get more PvP when they can't reach the action in time without Teleports? Less people for PvP for sure.

3; How come we can't just keep the display were we click on a port on the map and can see what resources a port produce once visited? If this still were in the game, it's easier to setup econ and start producting for players. Coordinating production.

However, I am more concerned about how they managed to go from a lot more players in a game that people liked playing 1-2 years back to this. And I am just going to add this link here:

And with the conclusion written by the OP in that thread, I couldn't agree more to anything written on the forums for a long time! It's just sad to see what this game has become, but I am in good faith that @admin will fix this and adress the issues, and hopefully bring back some of the elements we had earlier when a lot more players were online.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Thomas Sailaway
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

Demasting is strong but looks all right and make the fight really dynamic.

Before this patch it was dynamic. Now it's just who can get his 9pdrs to hit first. 1-3 shots need to connect, that's all.

Not shooting at the topmasts in a small frigate engagement doesn't make any sense right now, and it shouldn't be like that IMO

2 minutes ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

+/- Rum for surgeon, good to give rum a purpose, still it's not clear to me how much i need to take in hold to heal my crew loss: is it one bottle per crewman ? per surgeon usage ?

Each bottle of rum recovers one crew member, both in battle and OW afaik.

4 minutes ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

Ship craft, with the lot of ships sold by ports at such low prices, and free cutter, shipcraft is dead for low level ship crafters.

I think that's a temporary problem. Ships sold by port are not that great after all, they're all set for crew space, and don't get the planking bonus from any woods.
In a week or two when people got their buildings and shipyards running and start pumping out crafted ships with the wood planking bonus, I dont think ships sold by port will be that attractive anymore.

Also I think the cannon issue will be a lot better in a week or two when people start PvP ing and therefore can cap each others cannons :P But maybe make it so you can loot the cannons after capping a ship in the cargo screen.

But in general I agree with your statements

Another 2 cents:

I like the missing Grid and Coordinates in General. The Protractor is a small Help, and some other things as well. However, I like the Idea that once or twice a Sea-Day, you can Place the Protractor on the correct position, or close of it, depending on Rank. Something like the Pray-Button, but with a Function ;)

Also quite Interesting would be Land-Routes for wares. If the Island is all yours, it is safe. If not, there is a chance you lose some or all of the wares. Like transporting between freeports in the past, but just for Land-Connected Towns.

I dont get EXP for my Trading Ships. That sucks, because I get EXP for traveling, but none of it counts for the ship. Do I really have to fight with my Traders Brig?

I always see Ships popping out of nowhere right into the sea, friends and foes. That sucks as well, because they can chase and attack you, and it is completely random for thos bein in OW when they drop out of their battles. A counter does not help there.

If the BR difference is too high, you should not really get PvP-Marks out of the battle. Maybe those Battle should stay open as long as they last for the side of the attacked faction. This would also be an interesting thing, special markers for uneven PvP-fights, in Yellow or Red, so they attract other Peoples.

Defending an area against enemies should give benefits. If the area is green for me, I should be able to attack every contact which is red to me without penalties, that would make defending your coast more attractive, and more realistic. Especially if it may even give some PvP or PvE-Marks Bonus ;)

33 minutes ago, admin said:

You can learn to build ships by crafting ships. 

:D:D

If i did delivery mission then i got 50 craftXP.

But no craftXP for crafting materials and cannons.

Edited by qw569
  • Like 1

Just now, Hodo said:

They have 3 permanent and 3 knowledge slots.  

All trade ships are this way.

Thx, will check this asap. Mine had none, but is sunk in the meanwhile. Next Ship, I will check again. Maybe just a display-bug.

2 hours ago, Henry d'Esterre Darby said:

They shouldn't, nor should they sail a heavy frigate, and they certainly should put in an effort.

However, days and days and days in the basic cutter - it's a starter ship.  Wouldn't it be ok, to allow them to easily advance into a brig/snow, and then above that make it far harder?  There's a psychological factor in being jammed into a "noob" ship and forced to stay there for a long period of time.  I know it will get easier/more affordable to not be in a free everything ship as crafting comes online, but you really should hook them early by giving them an easy level or so - make it easy to get into a brig or snow - let them spend their "grinding" time in a ship that will encourage them to learn square riggers, which are most heavily represented in the game.  Make earning millions and heavy frigates a long term goal - I encourage that.  But allow some very early, easy advancements to set the hook and keep the player.

*insert the "He's right, you know" meme here*

Trying to focus/cater too much to the hard-core crowd isn't going to do much for overall game population over the long term. There needs to be accessibility for the average/casual/non-hard core gamer to want to play and stick around for more than a couple of days. As it stands now I understand why new players to this game might play for a couple of hours, get frustrated, write up a negative Steam review, then uninstall. I said in another post of mine that a challenging, engaging game does not have to be riddled with grinds and convoluted mechanics. Grinds are just that, and when they're in your face the second you start playing, a lot of people are just going to not bother. Free/leisure time has value to it, and it's not wrong to say that outside of people who can (for whatever reason) afford to play video games for many hours a day, the Average Joe isn't going to put up with a near 90 degree learning "curve". 

Starting with some seed money (maybe 10-20k gold) wouldn't be so bad. As the quoted poster mentions, a fairly streamlined, not too painful transition from the starter ship to a Snow/Brig (with it not being super punishing if/when they lose that Snow/Brig) wouldn't damage the rest of the game's difficulty level. It's the same concept as writing a book or screenplay. Get the audience hooked quickly in the beginning, or they're not going to want to see things through to the end. 

This game should be most representative of an historical-fiction action novel. Some reality thrown in with entertainment that will capture a decent audience, you know, to keep the story alive and flowing for as long as possible.

Sometimes it seems like the devs are trying to instead produce some kind of strange research paper that only a small audience wants to read when they're bored.

That said,

Hopefully over the next few weeks the economy starts to get some legs under it and be a bit more straight forward and outfitting ships for combat will be slightly less tedious. That in and of itself would help in improving the state of the game. 

• Like 2

1. Bring back the ability to do solo missions. There is no justification for its omission in this patch. Grinded away to be able to fit guns on the Surprise and when I was ready to go kick some ass, it seems I can only do fleet missions which do not fit my play style at all. If I wanted to team up with people I would play on the PVP servers.

2. Fix the availability marker on the trading tool. 3 ports showed having an item available and they were sold out. Hours and hours of sailing for nothing. BAD

3. SHIP SHADOWS ON WATER. It's 2017 for typing out loud! Also lit windows reflecting on water in OW for your ship would be lovely. All other ships have it except yours. I'm pretty sure it won't kill the performance to turn that option on (for one more ship on the screen).

4. Simplify the repair system, or lower the costs for repair items.

5 I have not felt the sting of losing a ship post wipe yet, but I agree that cannons are too damned expensive.

6. Make nights a bit longer. Seriously, I want a chance to enjoy that pretty night skybox. I'm sure your artists worked hard on it. It'll make sunsets and sunrises more appreciated.

Other than that, good job! Your attempts to make me want to uninstall the game have not yet succeeded.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 3

I really like this update but he one thing I don't understand is why can't we teleport between all of our outposts? 5 hours of sail to the Windwards to open an OP and now I can't leave any ships there and go to my national ports? I don't always have the time to sail 5 hours back and forth. I think you should let us have 1 or 2 foreign OP's that we can Teleport to. Seems like much of the map won't be used without this. Just my 2 cents.

On 2017-5-25 at 1:01 AM, DeRuyter said:

It should be if you went to all servers and sync'd your xp before the wipe.

Is there a way I can find out before committing? Your saying I should have full XP (I was top level for crafting and rank XP) on both servers no matter what I do?

I did log into both servers before the wipe but am not sure I synced anything.

Has the Global Server got a population? It has better ping for me. But I doubt the factions will fill out as well as they do on the European server. Would be great to be able to play on either depending on the time of day.

49 minutes ago, Destraex said:

Is there a way I can find out before committing? Your saying I should have full XP (I was top level for crafting and rank XP) on both servers no matter what I do?

I did log into both servers before the wipe but am not sure I synced anything.

Has the Global Server got a population? It has better ping for me. But I doubt the factions will fill out as well as they do on the European server. Would be great to be able to play on either depending on the time of day.

You can tell if you got your xp by creating a character and logging in to each server and seeing if you have a redeemable for the xp.  If it's there you're good.  You don't lose anything until you redeem it, you can play and keep the redeemable xp in reserve until you're sure you are where you want to be.

Edited by RedArgo