Game-Labs Forum

PVP1 - Diplomacy Summit (Sat 1/28 15:00 GMT)

Christendom

3 rep from each nation?  Who picks the three and why do they get to speak for the rest of the nation and clans?  I seen this happen before and the ones that actually show aren't the ones with the power in the nations and well the others just say screw them cause they weren't invited or was plans made that has nothing to do with them or there clans.  Have fun with this.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

3 rep from each nation?  Who picks the three and why do they get to speak for the rest of the nation and clans?  I seen this happen before and the ones that actually show aren't the ones with the power in the nations and well the others just say screw them cause they weren't invited or was plans made that has nothing to do with them or there clans.  Have fun with this.

3 reps from each nation is 24 people (assuming Pirates come). Can you imagine that amount of people, who normally face each other from opposite ends of a cannon, trying to come to any amount of accord?

I want a success for a meeting to address the problems in-game that we, the players, can solve. An effort should be made, and I'm glad that it is being made, even if I don't see it ending well. At least we'll be able to say we tried. 

Edited by SirSamuelHood
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, akd said:

This is a monumentally bad idea.

This was Chijohns idea, so take it up with him.  It either works or it doesn't.  When you come up with a better idea to try and keep people in the game I'd love to hear it.

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Not sure how it works on PVP2, but over here the majority of the nations have a couple of diplos they use to coordinate back and forth, usually a member or 2 from some of the larger more organized clans.  It's not a perfect system, but it's better than nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

What Sir Samuel Hood and Christendom said.

Adding: doing a meeting on TeamSpeak for more than 24 people quickly becomes unwieldy.

As mentioned, many/most of the nation's on PvP 1 have several "ambassadors" that serve as a communication conduit with the other nations. I am not sure how they were chosen for every nation, but for most I believe they were chosen by that nation's form of governing council, major clans, or maybe just drew the short straw. It's not perfect but it tends to work for the most part. Ideally the ambassadors/representatives have spoken with their nation's council, major clans, etc. and arrived at a consensus or outline of things they can agree on. Points may be discussed during the Diplomatic summit, and if necessary the ambassadors/delegates can go back to their nations afterward for further discussion and to seek approval for points of agreement. 

Speaking for myself only, am I expecting this meeting on Saturday to come to some game changing agreement by the end of the meeting time? Likely not. But hopefully, it will establish a basis for further discussion and set the groundwork for improved diplomatic relations on PvP 1.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Christendom said:

Not sure how it works on PVP2, but over here the majority of the nations have a couple of diplos they use to coordinate back and forth, usually a member or 2 from some of the larger more organized clans.  It's not a perfect system, but it's better than nothing.

Had diplomats a long time ago before a few people had to go muck it up.

Here we go again, self appointed politicians who speak for nobody in reality apart from themselves saving the day for us. Was it not these very people who kept pestering the Devs to enforce diplomacy on the rest of us rather than leaving it to the individual? The more you try and micro manage every aspect of the game the less choice and freedom is left for the individual player. People should not be forced into a clan into diplomacy or an alliance or into shooting at anyone or anything other than what they so wish to.

1 hour ago, Fletch67 said:

Here we go again, self appointed politicians who speak for nobody in reality apart from themselves saving the day for us. Was it not these very people who kept pestering the Devs to enforce diplomacy on the rest of us rather than leaving it to the individual? The more you try and micro manage every aspect of the game the less choice and freedom is left for the individual player. People should not be forced into a clan into diplomacy or an alliance or into shooting at anyone or anything other than what they so wish to.

At one time it may have been possible for NA to head in a totally pirate clan oriented direction. Leaving nations only as NPC entities that all players either sought letters of marque from, or avoided like the plague. But now the course has been plotted and the NA ship is now sailing on a completely different tack.

What we all have now are national identities which more or less force ALL of the points you dislike above. We don't even have independent pirate clans or rogue pirates (one man clans), maybe in the future - who knows? The only role currently in NA that comes remotely close is a smuggler since those can try to go wherever they please and haul whatever cargo seems good to them. But now I'm not even sure that's going to have a future.

This whole "I wanna fire my cannons at whoever I please" isn't something NA is remotely geared towards. Certainly not as an individual captain, or even as a clan. Like it or lump it, them's the facts.

We have been given limited abilities to determine the relationships between nations. For the greater good of each server, this requires negotiation. Which requires spokesmen.

Or we stick with the national roflstomp zerg dance and watch the bored and the alienated leave out of frustration while some get to cheer "We won!" as GameLabs shuts the servers off. :(

Edited by Angus McGregor

12 hours ago, amplify said:

en dat bewijst mijn punt dankjewel

As you prove mine. Showing up at Pampatar, wasting our time with a handful of ships while taunting us that we couldn't help with the real scrap at castries/bridgetown. So much fun. Many trolling from the Dutch as ever. 

You will always be my little troll. kusje!

1 hour ago, Kloothommel said:

As you prove mine. Showing up at Pampatar, wasting our time with a handful of ships while taunting us that we couldn't help with the real scrap at castries/bridgetown. So much fun. Many trolling from the Dutch as ever. 

You will always be my little troll. kusje!

I always though that Pelassgos is the biggest troll in this community.

But dude. You beat him on sooooooooooooo many levels.

7 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

gets popcorn and waits for the watergate tapes....and who ever gets caught with the intern under the desk.

What??! There's an intern?! Why wasn't I informed? Or rather why haven't I had the chance to grope.. erhm I mean "greet" the intern?

And about the mechanics - I really don't think much needs to be said or agreed to by the playerbase.. The PB timers are coming back wether a minorty wants it or not - simply because a majority is leaving the game when timers aren't in.. But PB timers won't stop the larger depopulation - that started before the current PB mechanic..

There's a problem with the RoE, the fact that nobody can expect any aid when sailing from point A to point B.. The current system is a gankers paradise - but lo and behold - it's broken as hell.. Nobody but us - the hardcore players - wants the system as it instantly closes the battles. The opportunity to get help in OW was building communities as they actually mattered in game, now it just destroys them and the tone in the debate clearly shows its own symptoms.. This however will not be changed by a diplomatic summit and as far as I'm concerned I'll settle with burning every pub, noob and afk player I see to the depths of davy jones. Let the americans nightflip empty ports - it's the only way they can get them after all.. And let the brits huddle in their holes while I raid their pubs to extinction and let the dutch keep doing what they are allready doing - slowly decaying their ships from a lack of use. It'll not make any difference in the end as the core problem is a broken mechanic that MAY be the most realistic but not very open to new bloods..

Edited by Guest