Game-Labs Forum

Hotfix for patch 9.97: Land in port battles

admin

7 hours ago, akd said:

Wait, was mast HP increased or was mast thickness increased?  Scary if a mast thickness increase is being described as "HP" (i.e. life) when it is in fact a force field that acts to completely negate any possibility of damage from many classes of guns and ships. Fundamentally different attributes.

Fine, but then you need to add a simple visual indication of another players boarding status.  You have ships with invisible crew in game and the UI should compensate for this.  "Blind" determined defender perk was a reasonable balance to "blind" yellow marines and 100% boarding prep, as well as the core imbalance of ping determining boarding outcomes.

(Whistle does not work for a number of reasons.)

I hear the wistle jsut fine so not sure what your problem is.  That and you can normally tell when people are board fit. Learn what guns are on most ships and what there reloads are. If they are reloading way slow they are prob baord prep or set up.  Just don't slow down either.

beside the mast thing overall patch is good

only thing i am wondering if the new port battle system will not make ppl run even more, since if you lose the initial fight over the points if you not have enought ships for  counter cap the point, there is no reason to stay and fight since is not br related.

So the 2 army clash, one have more casualty then other then it have no chance to revert the result since the army with more numbers will "block" the cap of the point, and will be hard to disengage and go cap another point and even if you do the superior fleet can chain you, then there is the wind, and even if you take the point is only for a limited time until the bigger fleet catch you and countercap it again.     We not have huge mobility in this game so the initial fight imho will be decisive, leaving no reason for the enemy to remain after they lost the first 5-7 ships

With br system ppl where kinda forced to remain in the fight for "block" the enemy from winning, aniway exposing themself  for all the lenght of the fight.

Edited by Lord Vicious
  • Like 2

With all ports being different layouts of land I'd think the tactical approach to each, from the initial deployment up to the decisive losses, to be truly varied.

Sinking enemy ships gives points and, indirectly, takes out opportunities for the opponents to counter the zones control.

Defender has a control area initiative as I can see but how does the running away all the time relates to leaving control areas ? I would assume contested control areas yield no points for either side, no ? I'm curious about how it is working.

I can see though an issue with no correlation from the PB order of battle setup with the road to the PB, kind of a BR pool if you wish.

I have to agree with the general "What The" with the masts, perhaps tuning some of the lower ships and increasing Health a bit...but the Armour on some of these masts is really high, like super high...and this is a bit wonky, the MAIN reason for ships striking colours was their masts being fouled and THEN it was casualties.

Another thing I would really like to see fixed is the timer on hostility missions being 'increased' and AI ships NOT being counted in the '25' limits.

• Like 1

I have ships in many corners of the map and haven't played enough to figure out whether the game has finally eliminated teleporting ships around. Is it really now just "teleport (TP) 1 ship every 4 hours to capitol", or "TP to nearest-friendly-port from a battle instance"?

To me, with such a large map, controllable teleporting is essential for any playability. On PVP2, the fights happen here one day and there the next. I know exactly what my wife is going to say if I have to do a 2 hour staging sail every day I want to play just to get over to the currently hot area with the right ship(s).

The "sail there once, plant an outpost, then teleport there when needed through some steadily annoying amount of weird and always changing gymnastics" system we've had for so long... was at least workable.

50 minutes ago, JG14_Para said:

I have ships in many corners of the map and haven't played enough to figure out whether the game has finally eliminated teleporting ships around. Is it really now just "teleport (TP) 1 ship every 4 hours to capitol", or "TP to nearest-friendly-port from a battle instance"?

To me, with such a large map, controllable teleporting is essential for any playability. On PVP2, the fights happen here one day and there the next. I know exactly what my wife is going to say if I have to do a 2 hour staging sail every day I want to play just to get over to the currently hot area with the right ship(s).

The "sail there once, plant an outpost, then teleport there when needed through some steadily annoying amount of weird and always changing gymnastics" system we've had for so long... was at least workable.

You can right click on an unoccupied ship in port and use "tow request" to send it to any other port you own.  The move completes overnight (during server maintenance).

It looks a bit like the devs had "make masts great again" on their todo list, and they forgot they had already buffed them in one of the last patches.
We know baseline for "way too strong" hehe.
Mast thickness was already on the high side for most ships. If changes had to be made I would've liked to see a (slight) mast thickness nerf combined with a HP buff. The mast vulnerability bubble (thickness+gun penetration+range) around your ship was already very small, so the whole idea that ships outside of that zone were any threat to them (gank fleet) is a bit silly :)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Zoky said:

I don't know what else to say. Who wants my stuff i guess :(

I will take it, about to create 2nd account and it will be useful. Note that final wipe will get rig of all your items anyway. 

Remember being a tester is hard work, if you feel it's too frustrating for you take a break and come back when you feel it's time. 

Happy Holidays. 

4 minutes ago, sruPL said:

Paint & Ship Chest Weight changed from 1000 to 50. L'Ocean Chest that's 50 haha, a Traders Snow can haul a full fleet of 25 Oceans in cargo now ^^

What do you mean? Are you talking about blueprint? 

If so, Blueprint is paper weight. 

10 hours ago, elite92 said:

they changed many turn rates i think because the put a 3% turn speed bonus on pirate perk of the officer, go check it

Turn rates for all ships should not be adjusted for one perk.   That like saying we should drop all the reloads cause the pirate hunter one gives to much.  

10 hours ago, Puchu said:

Wind there is nothing to test. The thickness on masts is higher than the cannon penetration in duels. There is literally nothing you could test about it. Shooting masts in duels is completely remooved. It is 100% replaced by the less skillfull chaining.

(I know what you are trying to say. Wait till the changes settle, you will all see that being demasted is not fun for the demasted, And you basically cannot defend vs demasting, whereas with desailing you allways are still somewhat maneuverable and desailing has diminishing returns like crew killing and you can defend against desailing by yard and sail setting. But trust me, there are many things happening on a regular basis that are not only not fun, but actually infuriating in NA which are much worse than the occasional demasting.)

Why are we going of DUALs, that is not what the real world fights are like as DUELS tend to be equal ships fighting each other to sink/win.  They don't fight to escape.   Folks used demast to equal the numbers when out number and now they can't.

9 hours ago, van der Decken said:

Minor fix needed to be able to move paint schemes to warehouse. If you're not going to allow us to craft them, please don't make us waste warehouse space with them. They're not even stackable. :(

Yah getting where I have to keep traders in my prots just to hold eaxtra stuff since many things don't stack like paints and notes.   

7 hours ago, Wraith said:

Yup... as a test I engaged in a fight with a player snow yesterday in a connie and rather than chaining went for masts... and I don't claim to be an OCEAN-class demaster but I can hit masts pretty easily, and despite what appeared to be more than a dozen direct hits mid-mast with 24lb. longs at around 100 m, no dice. These should have been penetrating shots as far as I can tell (snow mast thickness 72 cm, 24 lb. long pens at 116 cm at 100m, 90 cm. at 500m).

I'd say if you're up against a stern camper now, best employ other means of either decrewing or chaining because demasting will likely just incur too much crew loss before you're successful.

How many times do people even demast out side of DUELS?  We have one clan member that is good at it, but the majority of us can't do it like he can.   So just cause a few elite players can almost instant demast some one we all have to suffer?

7 hours ago, Ink said:

Captains, the first post has been updated, some changes we didn't include to the patch notes are:

• Сrafted quality bonuses were slightly reduced
  • Gun repairs slightly reduced
  • Some boarding upgrades bonuses reduced

Exactly which ones and the numbers?  Sorry you make us have to search through all the date and try to remember the old stats.  More and more things are becoming useless or meta one way or another.  I don't mind changes, but let us know what they are to a point so we can adjsut and make those changes.  Many of use spent a lot of times building set ups for ships of now old stats.  If that set up is getting to be not effective cause of stat changes we need to know what was changed so we can change our set up and try other things. 

7 hours ago, sruPL said:

Not sure but it means to be honest... What's some, what bonuses, what's the % of reduce?

DITO

On 12/19/2016 at 3:17 PM, admin said:

Other changes

• Mast HP was modestly increased (30% on average)
  • Speed penalty for reinforced masts was slightly reduced

Not much bad to say.  I kinda like this mast buff as those have been too weak, but the fact is that this is indirectly buffing rake damage.  As it will make small ships able to rake longer before losing a mast.  Surprise is used to rake a lot atm. and it also has pretty weak masts.  So when people complain that rake damage is too high, and surprises are everywhere.  Who made you to do this buff?  Whoever it was, never listen that guy again :D

Also, the hostility system is not working too well.  It needs too much PvE etc.  Make it more PvP oriented, so that people have more fun starting the Port Battles in the 1st place.

• Like 1

mast bonus : a bit useless for me. You should have reduce carronade damage or pénétration for master to fixe your problèm.

you can all blâme liquicity that was able to dismated everyone in two broadside of history surprise...

3 broadise on bad days... It has had to change.

about port battle :

first one yesterday on puerto de espana, it was really interesting to see the new tactics used by captains. For this port the area are too close making frigates useless. For my tactic vision atm, frigates will stay useless as 3 lineships can destroy 4 frigates meaning after that you will miss one ship to capture the next area.

anyway the battle was fun, the french much appreciate that brit were forced to fight and not grieffing us for hell like usual

the fortress and fort are useless as all covering the same circle. I would suggest one fort per circle and the fortress's for main circle with a boost on range to cover at least half the circle.

it will make mortar usefull (they are useless atm) and circle sailing without them dangerous.

one other point is the wind. Yesterday attackers get the wind but they are not deciding anything. They jsut get luck to have the pb opening when wind was good. People can't wait 25 min in front of port waiting the wind to be good.

it has to be fixed or fleets than spend hours in front of a port to flip it will be in port battl were there is no hope to win.

i would suggest like in Potbs a wind based on the unrest. When the port is flipped, people can still make convention on port. The more you get bigger is your advantage. Wind in pb is determine by defender or attackers having more unrest after pb flip.

Edited by PIerrick de Badas

22 hours ago, Hethwill said:

With all ports being different layouts of land I'd think the tactical approach to each, from the initial deployment up to the decisive losses, to be truly varied.

Sinking enemy ships gives points and, indirectly, takes out opportunities for the opponents to counter the zones control.

Defender has a control area initiative as I can see but how does the running away all the time relates to leaving control areas ? I would assume contested control areas yield no points for either side, no ? I'm curious about how it is working.

I can see though an issue with no correlation from the PB order of battle setup with the road to the PB, kind of a BR pool if you wish.

Ocean show as always no competence in pb,   Your assumption is wrong :No the areas give you point even if contested is all about who have more ppl in the circle itself, so while you manouver if someone push you away from the circle and the enemy have +1 then you in the circle they make points,      And trust me yesterday we did a pb is very hard to keep 50 firstrate in a circle both us and the enemy where constantly having ppl exiting the circle.  re entering etc. (this make impossible also an organized fight since is impossible to make a formation in the circle) 

The battle now is more like: cap the circle and go brawl the enemy further as possible from such circle for pin them down from capturing the circles while you get points so     the circles itself not have a huge tactical role, is all about rush them and then go brawl the enemy distant from your points, you can even lose the brawl what matters is make your circles score points for you while you keep "busy" the enemy.   Furthermore if you are going to sink you just run away and leave since the br not means anything anymore and ppl have no meaning in remaining in the battle risking the ship. also and you cant chase them otherwise you lose ppl in the circle this can lead to very few ships sink and much ships just leave when in danger.

The wind and spawn position also can screw an entire battle since the start.  Imho wind should be equal like old PB, since  you cant really plan when the pb gonna happens so you cant predict with accuracy how will be the wind for that particular pb, if you start with a very against wind, both as defender or attacker you have very low chance to win, since you forced to sail to contest the points against wind, the enemy close towards you brawl you away and you will never have the chance to contest the points.

Edited by Lord Vicious
  • Like 5

Thanks for the tactical insight. I see the shortcomings of the system.

I'd let it run a few PBs and see how everyone adjusts. To be honest I see an issue with the running battles and the necessity to hold ground. How come someone exits a circle if not in a running wing ?

In any case I would make the control points dynamic. Necessary to be there for them to count and award the points. If they get empty the points are removed and teams have to control them again.

Would think the entire purpose of the new system would be to entice more dynamism in the PBs as opposed to the old tactical line and slug it off.

But I will wait for more commanders to post their insights in here or any other related thread :)

Just a pointer for the future, I don't bring my gaming communities into the ring when I speak my mind or search to clarify a game situation so take notice and remember not to refer to them, cheers.

• Like 1

-Port battles looks more interesting and dynamic, maybe it will maybe need some adjustments (like a larger time window to enter pb or random wind / at least one zone fully covered by a fort) but i can already see how this new system is better than the previous one.

-Chest rewards for pb participants (and soon for screeners i hope, even if just paint chest, give them to each surviving participants, don't tie them to a leaderboard, or grant ship chests / gold upgrades to the top ones and random/lesser/paint to the rest) 

-new battle screen friendly port tp finally seems to be a great move improving the game for everyone.

Overall a great patch, now just tweak masts damages and instead please tweak chain shots accuracy/efficiency or make them limited in number like the perk-shots.

Good job, i've had great fun screening yesterday.

Althogjt viscious said you cat win a pb if wind is agai'st you as start, french defeat faster ships without the wind yesterday.

I don't know who but several mistakes has been made by British fleet commander leading to change an easy victory to a painfully defeat.

Leaving c and the wind, not moving in A outside fort range, not destroying our mortar, bad use of your mortar, give up the wind, kite and finnaly not kite etc etc...

So without the I d it's hard, almost impossible. We were really close to just click out yesterday but we decide to stay in case of miracle like tornado or storm or British playing bad tactic. Miracle happens. New wind in each pb mean new tactic in each pb. It's not bad, same wind means after few pb same tactics again and again

Now all have to be think again and it's really making our brain usefull and making the lead more Interesting

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2016 at 11:17 AM, admin said:

Hello Captains. 

Land in port battles was deployed today.
This is an experimental feature and will require a lot of testing and tuning. 

Key concepts. 

What is removed

• Removed - battle circle of death. It will be no longer necessary as we found the way to completely eliminate the need for kiting, running and griefing in port battles. 
  • Removed - BR difference requirements. It is no longer necessary due to objectives in the port battles. Control objectives and you win the battle. 
  • Removed - Tower requirements. If you controlled key points in real world port battle towers and forts would eventually surrender. Towers and forts are no longer a requirement for victory. But they are still going to be present and sometimes make things easier for the defenders. Tower and fort placement will be based on their current open world positions. 

What is new. 

• Port battles will be conducted in the harbors of regional capitals 
  • Tower and fort placement will still be somewhat random but their number will depend on the city size. If new port battles will be fun some forts could be placed near objectives.
  • Entry to port battles. Entry to port battles will be purely positional from the open world. There will be two large circles around the port. Defenders can enter anywhere within the smaller circle. Attackers can enter anywhere in the large circle sometimes attacking from several different directions.
  • Initial wind will be determined from the open world on first entry to the port battle. That wind will stay static for a certain time and then will change based on the old proven formula sometimes providing equal opportunity for both sides. This means that timing the port battle start and entry matters and attackers have to carefully decide when to enter the port battle. 
  • Capture zones (a-la BF3 conquest mode). 3 1.5km circles are placed in the harbor. Controlling those zones gives points. 
  • Sinking enemy ships gives points to your side
  • Losing ships subtracts points from your side
  • Destroying towers and forts gives additional points (approximate time to destroy a large fort for a perked mortar brig = 12 mins)
  • The side which gains 1000 points first - wins
  • Alternatively you can get an immediate victory if you sank all opponents (or they all escaped exiting the battle). 

To test the port battles properly we suggest the following

1. to reduce the cool downs between failed port battles and won port battles to the minimum
  2. provide ship chest reward for successful attacks or defensive action to all participants.

Concerns

Some port battles will be immensely fun due to harbor geography. Some battles will be very weird (especially in narrow passages). Some harbors will favor attackers, some harbors will favor defenders. 

Example of entry circles and capture points
MirSGfn.png
attackers will be able to enter anywhere from the outside circle, defenders will be able to enter anywhere in the inner circle. 
Approximate time at good wind to sail through all capture points is 25 mins on the good speed frigate. Against the wind it will take up to an hour. Thus attackers will have to control wind carefully. 

Points distribution

Kills/Sinkings

Sinking enemy ships or losing your ships grants points according the following scheme. 

1. Lineships 40 pts
  2. All other ships 25 points. 

Because entry to battles is limited by battle ratings we believe that all ships are important to victory. The system with different points for ships is also supported. This also provides somewhat equal time for both battles (because if cutters are worth less - battles in light ships could last a lot longer).

Forts and towers. 

1. Towers 50 points
  2. Forts 150 points

Capture zones 

• Captured zone ticks 2 points every 5 seconds. If attacker controls 1 zone and if defender controls another (with third being not captured) no points will tick for both sides. For points to tick your side has to control more zones than the enemy. 
  • 1 ship will capture the zone in 120 seconds
  • 3 ships will capture the zones in 30 seconds. 
  • Zone can be captured if you have more ships in the capture zones than the enemy. It does not matter which size of vessels is in the zone - to promote diversity. So 2 frigates will capture the zone even if there is 1 enemy victory is present in the capture zone (of course 1 victory will not sail alone and will try to be in the main line with escorts easily sinking those frigates. 

All numbers are initial and will require testing and tuning. 

For testing purposes cool downs on port battles were reduced. 

• Failed PB can now be repeated in 1 day (instead of 3)
  • Captured regions now can be recaptured in 3 days (instead of 10)
  • Paints and Ship chests from events are added as victory rewards to port battles (both attacking and defensive victories)

To improve the ability to enter the port battle from distance if the port is behind land you can now click on buildings to bring the entry screen up. (you can still click on swords to enter the port battle). 

Battle result screen camping fixes

Battle result screen camping options were reduced. For the discussions on this topic please visit this thread 

When the battle is over you will now have 2 options:

• Exit to open world within 5 mins
  • Exit to the nearest friendly port

If you don't exit to the open world in 5 mins then you will only be able to exit to the nearest friendly port. 
This feature solves 2 important problem - sitting in BR screen to deny battles, wasting time for you and those chasing you. And camping in BR screen to attack unsuspected players from the safety of the BR screen. 

Other changes

• Some upgrades, perks, regional bonuses increasing ship speed were reduced. 
  • Speed adjusted for 2nd rates, 3rd rates and HMS Trincomalee
  • Mast HP was modestly increased (30% on average)
  • Speed penalty for reinforced masts was slightly reduced
  • Сrafted quality bonuses were slightly reduced
  • Gun repairs slightly reduced
  • Some boarding upgrades bonuses reduced
  • Determined defender perk was removed. If you have DD it is a useless perk now.
  • Bot routes were changed to reduce dense NPC distribution in certain areas
  • Bot composition were changed to reduce numbers of line ships 
  • Number of forts and martello towers now can depend on the city size (1 fort + 1 tower for smallest cities 3-4 forts + towers for largest cities) - this feature will be tuned further going forward.
  • Free camera (with some limitations) returned to the open world.
  • Fixed bug where towers were shooting at captured ships on your side
  • Several other minor bugs fixed

Was it too difficult to just introduce land in port battle without all these stupid king of the hill mechanics?

On 12/24/2016 at 0:30 AM, PIerrick de Badas said:

Althogjt viscious said you cat win a pb if wind is agai'st you as start, french defeat faster ships without the wind yesterday.

I don't know who but several mistakes has been made by British fleet commander leading to change an easy victory to a painfully defeat.

Leaving c and the wind, not moving in A outside fort range, not destroying our mortar, bad use of your mortar, give up the wind, kite and finnaly not kite etc etc...

So without the I d it's hard, almost impossible. We were really close to just click out yesterday but we decide to stay in case of miracle like tornado or storm or British playing bad tactic. Miracle happens. New wind in each pb mean new tactic in each pb. It's not bad, same wind means after few pb same tactics again and again

Now all have to be think again and it's really making our brain usefull and making the lead more Interesting

A year ago my first impression as a new player of the old PB was hmm a bit lame how those towers were sticking out in the water, but this brings players together and we are having good fights. The understanding of the coming land in battles was that it was hard to implement, so we were waiting patiently. We didnt care much about land in PBs because it was simply a beautification patch. So we understood.

Somehow you add beatiful land in PBs. The looks and feel is amazing. But how misguided are you by a small bunch of PVE lovers who still play this game to so screw PB battles as they are now.

They are hundred persent more arcady and less realistic than they were before with three wells in the middle of nowhere. Here is the fights report:

- Numbers will always win now. Numbers > skill (further denies smaller nations opirtunity to be competitive);

- PB becomes chasing circles. What was your idea of adding them? That this will split forces into 3 smaller fights? It aint happening. Soon as one side is outnumbered and loosing the circle they leave and sail to other circle.

- Because of this chasing and racing we now have battles that have only 1-2 kills from both teams combined. Wait what? 1 freaking ship sunk in Lineship battle? Nah you are not serious are you.... Yup!

- Old style PBs brought ships together over a single objective. New style brings ships apart the entire battle. This is happening because capping circles > than killing ships. It is still way more OP. If you slow right down points gathering in circles then this will make more cense and gives more insentive to stay and fight. And I mean reduce right down. 1 point every 20 seconds or so. Get your 40 points from sinking a line ship becomes a better option and people will still fight over the circles to have some advantage

- In reality having circles capped would give a better position for the fleet in the battle. No commader will otherwise split his force in such way for fighting over something that is... nothing.

- Pulling objective away from the actual fort makes land in PB just a background. In most cases.

- 2 cutters will out cap the circles against 1 first rate. Wait what? Really?.. Yup. Lineship battle.

- To balance this better capping priority should not be ship numbers based but combined BR of the ships in the circle. Side which has more BR starts capping

And I know what you re going to say. Get the wind, get numbers, get faster ships... etc etc. Yes I understand how to be competitive in this new PB mechanic. You need to understand that whether you win or lose it brings no fun, no satisfaction of a good fight neither it feels like a proper port battle. Sinking ships in NA becomes non-essential. Thats ship fighting game for you...

• Like 1

1st Battle of Islamorada after PB patch
US focuses on capturing circles.  US controls 2 circles most of game, and 3 circles part of game.  Spanish focus on sinking US ships, Spanish win.

2nd Battle of Islamorada
Spanish have heavier fleet.  Spanish split force and focuses on controlling circles.  US focuses on killing ships.  US win.

- Pulling objective away from the actual fort makes land in PB just a background. In most cases.

Agreed.  Land and forts need more emphasis.  Mortar Brigs may be too powerful.  Forts may need more HP (forts, not martellos)

- To balance this better capping priority should not be ship numbers based but combined BR of the ships in the circle. Side which has more BR starts capping

Agreed.

And I know what you re going to say. Get the wind, get numbers, get faster ships

The US tried this at the first battle of Isla.  We had a frigate squadron take point C early while the Agi squadron took point A and the Mortar Brig took point B.  The fast Frigate Squadron held point C for almost the entire game and took on a heavier force without taking any casualties,  yet we still lost because although we got up to 700 points by capturing points and destroying forts, we eventually lost as the Spanish force sank our Agi fleet and the points started to tally up from those loses.

What I would like to see is the attacking side votes for a Fleet Commander.  The Fleet Commander gets to control 5 or so unarmed AI ships that have "troops" on them.  If point A is captured (the point closest to the port), and the AI Troop Transports are in the circle, the attacking side gets points as long as the transports have not taken side damage in the last 15 seconds (counts as the troops being unloaded).  Once 50% of the "troops" have been "unloaded" from their ships (so if the attackers lose 3 transports this doesnt work), the main port fort is knocked out of action (giving 150 points) and the attackers win as long as they have more points than the defenders.  The attackers only win when the transports are unloaded or the defenders have been destroyed or they reach 1000 points (from destroying enemy ships, destroying forts, and holding point A and unloading "troops".  The defenders win by getting 1000 points from controlling A, sinking enemy ships, sinking AI transports for 100 points each, or by the time running out.

• Like 2