Game-Labs Forum

Log off at after battle screen - lose your battle rewards and ship dura restored to those that did not log off and those waiting outside.

In the grim darkness of the age of sail..  There was no phones or messaging system, if not on visual range.  It is unrealistic that you write in nation or clan chat to ask for help.

So we do not need TP ganking system at all, BR Screen is a very nice thing to have, keeps the battles more realistic.  It is very good as it is at the moment, nothing has to be changed.

• Like 1

What some have said, Time is my major argument against such penalties. Personally i never log off in battle screen except for maybe when there is dinner or when i need to go to bed or when i need to be somewhere. There are times where real life gets in the way and I would say we cant punish people for having real life. Now maybe if it happens too often in a certain timeframe such an implementation would be good, but not for everytime someone logs off at the battle end screen.

That brings me to another idea. Most of you have used the bed argument. If that is the truth, there could be a COOLDOWN at using this "function". The players who have just 1-3 hours to play at evening should logout in the evening, but the players who use this system to escape from a dangerous situation every time shouldn't.

Lets say: Cooldown 24 Hours

The players cant use the logout thing more than 1 times a day

That should be enough for the "i wanna go to bed"-guys, and that is a stop to exploit this function

Edited by Sven Silberbart
  • Like 1

First of all, it isn't an exploit.  Admin has ruled it isn't an exploit and was purposefully designed that way, so stop calling it an exploit.

2nd, as one other has said, in the age of sail, there was no call for friendly help.  Nor was their warp speed on the open sea outside battle where help can warp to a "battle location" and camp it until their in trouble mates can get out of the battle and they can all gank the raider.

Bulwyf,

How can you say good and fair fights have gone down?  You haven't been around that long.  I can tell you they have gone up.  A lot of people have different definitions of good or fair fights.  For a lot of people a fair fight is one in which their side will win because the BR is in their advantage.  For me, a fair fight and a good fight is one where the BR is similar OR I have tricked a superior ship into attacking me so I can try to kill him.  So no, the amount of fair fights have not gone down, because half a dozen reinforcements can't stream into the battle, even if it is my privateer vs cerberus.  If timers were longer, then the people outside camping the battle for revenge would instead be in the battle ganking me instead of camping outside for revenge.

That brings me to another idea. Most of you have used the bed argument. If that is the truth, there could be a COOLDOWN at using this "function". The players who have just 1-3 hours to play at evening should logout in the evening, but the players who use this system to escape from a dangerous situation every time shouldn't.

Lets say: Cooldown 24 Hours

The players cant use the logout thing more than 1 times a day

That should be enough for the "i wanna go to bed"-guys, and that is a stop to exploit this function

Except that this ignores every other scenario where life intervenes, not to mention encourages even more group sailing/ganking and discourages solo play. Why on earth should I sail my rattlesnake alone hunting traders when there's a very good chance at least 3-4 ships will be waiting for me outside the battle because the trader I hit hash-tagged pirates@PR on his olde tweeter and updated his facebroadsheet status? I don't have a scout to see outside the battle if the coast is clear, but thanks to the trader's instant messaging the revenge fleet knows exactly where I am, exactly how many people hit the trader (me), and thanks to time compression are camping outside the battle that, if time was uncompressed in OW, would have ended the day before they reached the area.

Regarding the suggestions of going to infinite timers but forcing the spawn at the original location of the battle and not near the combatants, this is already how battles with positional reinforcements in the green zone works. This did not stop a 10 person pirate fleet from catching and wrecking the Ingermanland that was tagged by a Renomee 10 minutes before in the green zone, and this 10 person fleet consisted of everything from Surprises to Pavels, all sailing upwind to reach the Inger and Renomee. From my experience with this, we'd be back to square one where unless you gib someone with leaks, any smart player can easily slow you down enough for the revenge fleet to catch you despite there being nobody else in visual range when you entered battle. 

Another thing I'd like to point out: most battles take place near capitals or free ports. This is because most players congregate in those areas, and people who want PVP are  forced to go there to actually find traders to hit or warships to fight. The 5 minute and longer timers people are looking back on with rose-colored glasses, existed when any teleport incurred  a 4 hour cooldown. There is now no cooldown for teleports. If I was to tag a lone frigate near a freeport, in 5 minutes I could easily have 10 people in the battle instance trying to sink me because there is no cooldown to go between outposts. And this doesn't even begin to get into the use of bait ships tagging or being tagged near ports to drag someone in, where the rest of the fleet then undocks to complete the gank.

EDIT: Remove double quote

Edited by Enraged Ewok
  • Like 5

I don't understand why people think they somehow deserve a second chance at someone they hit. Either the attacker did it poorly, or the defender did it well. You missed your chance. Why artificially support the one who did poorly or artificially punish the one who did well?

• Like 2

Except that this ignores every other scenario where life intervenes, not to mention encourages even more group sailing/ganking and discourages solo play. Why on earth should I sail my rattlesnake alone hunting traders when there's a very good chance at least 3-4 ships will be waiting for me outside the battle because the trader I hit hash-tagged pirates@PR on his olde tweeter and updated his facebroadsheet status? I don't have a scout to see outside the battle if the coast is clear, but thanks to the trader's instant messaging the revenge fleet knows exactly where I am, exactly how many people hit the trader (me), and thanks to time compression are camping outside the battle that, if time was uncompressed in OW, would have ended the day before they reached the area.

Regarding the suggestions of going to infinite timers but forcing the spawn at the original location of the battle and not near the combatants, this is already how battles with positional reinforcements in the green zone works. This did not stop a 10 person pirate fleet from catching and wrecking the Ingermanland that was tagged by a Renomee 10 minutes before in the green zone, and this 10 person fleet consisted of everything from Surprises to Pavels, all sailing upwind to reach the Inger and Renomee. From my experience with this, we'd be back to square one where unless you gib someone with leaks, any smart player can easily slow you down enough for the revenge fleet to catch you despite there being nobody else in visual range when you entered battle.

Another thing I'd like to point out: most battles take place near capitals or free ports. This is because most players congregate in those areas, and people who want PVP are forced to go there to actually find traders to hit or warships to fight. The 5 minute and longer timers people are looking back on with rose-colored glasses, existed when any teleport incurred a 4 hour cooldown. There is now no cooldown for teleports. If I was to tag a lone frigate near a freeport, in 5 minutes I could easily have 10 people in the battle instance trying to sink me because there is no cooldown to go between outposts. And this doesn't even begin to get into the use of bait ships tagging or being tagged near ports to drag someone in, where the rest of the fleet then undocks to complete the gank.

EDIT: Remove double quote

+1 to everything and youre last paragraph is PERFECT and nobody ever seems to mention that.

All the players complaining about bad guys in thier "safe space" never mention that 95% of his faction never leaves the capital exept to run the 6 minites to his quest or run 1 port over to get the only resource he needs to finish a crafting recipe.

The devs seem to think its completely normal to have 1st to last level quests all come from 1 port and players take advantage of that and never leave thier port. The consequences of that is players who acually want to play come to your port to find you.

Either leave your safe space or put up with enemy camping your capital.

I agree with the OP -- its plain and simple. It only affects the folks who WONT for one reason or another come out of the battle screen within a reasonable amount of time. - say 15 minutes. And if you log off, from that point -- yeah -- fine you. No one sets their boat adrift in open waters - aimlessly ... unless you want to have issues.

Edited by yankyaeger

I don't understand why people think they somehow deserve a second chance at someone they hit. Either the attacker did it poorly, or the defender did it well. You missed your chance. Why artificially support the one who did poorly or artificially punish the one who did well?

Because the attacker have no chance if the defender knows how to tag. Thats the thing! Too easy to do a good defence tag. After escape battle just go offline or be afk by playing another game. This combination makes that i think this should be changed. Stop the ability to counter tag (or decrease the tag circle) and i immediately do accept your wish to leave game in battle result screen.

..Admin has ruled it isn't an exploit and was purposefully designed that way..

I have searched such a statement by the devs much times in the past. Found nothing! Please give me a link!

No, find it yourself.  There are thousands of posts, I'm not going to spend an hour or two finding it for you.  It was stated, and for all I know it is now in a long hidden tribunal case.  If it was an exploit, you would be sure that every week people would win tribunals against people who leave in battle screens.  The fact is, Admin stated it was specifically designed that way.  Heck, in battle you even have the option to exit instead of leave.

If the attacker(group) has more speed as the defender(group) there should be a fight started where the attacker can keep the enemy in battle.

To be attentive shouldnt be all you need to do.

if the defender have the faster ship - he can prevent a fight

if the attacker have the faster ship - he can start a fight but the defender can counter attack and can be sure to leave the battle

The second case cant be. The faster ship always should have the decision to fight or not. And that doesnt mean to start a fight or not.

That means to have a distance that the attacker have the chance to tag the defender. Atm the defender can counter tag and have enough distance to jump out.

coward makes it much more harder than before.

I cant believe that this is so hard to understand.

Did you guys ever tried to catch an enemy or are you PvE Players who wanna have a safe playground?

Did you make bad experience with bigger groups or why cant you see the problem on attackers side?

• Like 1

Most of the time people log off in a battle end screen, it's because they ran out the timer during a gank attempt. They have no rewards to lose.

By targeting rewards, it really does seem like you just want to revenge kill people.

• Like 1

I've thought about it for a while and really the ability to wait in the battle screen is kinda important. It's silly to have the participates of a long and hard fought battle get insta ganked by a massive revenge fleet. The only solution I could come up with that retains the ability to wait out a gank fleet but removes the ability to hide a gank fleet indefinitely would be to have the battle screen make you aware if there are enemy players in a certain range (but not their numbers and composition). And that a countdown would start if your side had a BR advantage of a certain ratio or if no enemy players were present.

I've thought about it for a while and really the ability to wait in the battle screen is kinda important. It's silly to have the participates of a long and hard fought battle get insta ganked by a massive revenge fleet. The only solution I could come up with that retains the ability to wait out a gank fleet but removes the ability to hide a gank fleet indefinitely would be to have the battle screen make you aware if there are enemy players in a certain range (but not their numbers and composition). And that a countdown would start if your side had a BR advantage of a certain ratio or if no enemy players were present.

Or give the people leaving battle 45 seconds invisible to let them get a head start before the taging starts.

Or give the people leaving battle 45 seconds invisible to let them get a head start before the taging starts.

I hate to say this, but the 30 second invisibility was rightfully abolished with http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14745-post-battle-entry-to-the-open-world/?p=273417

To be replaced with http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14536-to-gank-or-be-ganked-that-is-the-question/

I'll give you this, I'm still not too happy with the complete mechanism. Hence I put forth other proposals:

Edited by Skully

<p>

I hate to say this, but the 30 second invisibility was rightfully abolished with http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14745-post-battle-entry-to-the-open-world/?p=273417

To be replaced with http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14536-to-gank-or-be-ganked-that-is-the-question/

I'll give you this, I'm still not too happy with the complete mechanism. Hence I put forth other proposals:

While i agree about invis nt being a great thing to have and i am glad its gone BUT if they ever decided to do away with logging off after battle i would not be as angry if they gave us a long invis to have the chance to actually get away.

I feel for the gamer who might not have 3 or 4 hours to spend gettinf back home because of revenge fleets.

In the grim darkness of the age of sail..  There was no phones or messaging system, if not on visual range.  It is unrealistic that you write in nation or clan chat to ask for help.

So we do not need TP ganking system at all, BR Screen is a very nice thing to have, keeps the battles more realistic.  It is very good as it is at the moment, nothing has to be changed.

At the moment the vast bulk of people who can see the fight let alone hear it can't join because of the 2 min timer. How on earth is that reasonable? If you can see the fight you should be able to join even if you start further away within the battle screen.

First of all, it isn't an exploit.  Admin has ruled it isn't an exploit and was purposefully designed that way, so stop calling it an exploit.

2nd, as one other has said, in the age of sail, there was no call for friendly help.  Nor was their warp speed on the open sea outside battle where help can warp to a "battle location" and camp it until their in trouble mates can get out of the battle and they can all gank the raider.

Bulwyf,

How can you say good and fair fights have gone down?  You haven't been around that long.  I can tell you they have gone up.  A lot of people have different definitions of good or fair fights.  For a lot of people a fair fight is one in which their side will win because the BR is in their advantage.  For me, a fair fight and a good fight is one where the BR is similar OR I have tricked a superior ship into attacking me so I can try to kill him.  So no, the amount of fair fights have not gone down, because half a dozen reinforcements can't stream into the battle, even if it is my privateer vs cerberus.  If timers were longer, then the people outside camping the battle for revenge would instead be in the battle ganking me instead of camping outside for revenge.

What constitutes a long time? I have played longer than I have been on the forums. I can say this simply because battles of similar BR are passingly rare other than port battles. Usually one or the other side has a large superiority, that has certainly been my experience. Anyone who can see or hear the battle should be able to join. In reality people who couldn't even see a battle were able to join via signals flags being relayed from one ship to another. I would be happy with those who had a visual sighting or were close enough to hear the battle being able to join then I would have no issue with the after battle screen log offs.

No thanks.. while the whole log off thing is annoying,.. it is NO More Broken then the Revenge Fleet BS waiting outside.... Both things are broken and need to both be fixed in the same patch, I and others have made suggestions for this... so we will see what the devs do

• Like 1

I thought I replied to this thread but it must be another.  This suggestion is only for Gankers.   The game should provide for hard worked separation distances that are achieved from instances and it does not.  I shoots you back to original playing spot and produces a situation of attack again.  This does not simulate real world.  The Ships position in the map after the battle should be placed in the real world as a minimum.  A delay in the attacking players ability to exit should be 3 minutes or more.   Only then could a timer on the screen be considered.

..This suggestion is only for Gankers..

That is not the truth. Lets say a Renomme is trying to catch a Trincomalee (1vs1). I think you cant call the Renomme a ganker.

The Trincomalee choose a good wind but the Renommee is faster on Open World. If the Trinco dont want that fight (why ever) he can

do a counter-tack. The 20 secs are not much enoung time to give any attacker a good position to force the enemy too fight.

No problem for the trinco to prevent getting hitted although the renommee is the faster ship (really not realistic!).

This scenario is for much ship type combinations always the same.

Like i said..

"

if the defender have the faster ship - he can prevent a fight

if the attacker have the faster ship - he can start a fight but the defender can counter attack and can be sure to leave the battle

"

And like Bulwyf said..

"..battles of similar BR are passingly rare other than port battles.."

Edited by Sven Silberbart

So you basically want the only people who can get pvp rewards are the people with over whelming strength and numbers at any given location right? You want it to be a prerequisite to get ganked by a revenge fleet to get your rewards. Might as well bump the timer back up to infinite while we're at it and skip the entire process; just let the revenge fleet jump you while you are in the instance instead. 

"whelming strength and numbers at any given location" is traditionally the decider in RW conflict

• Like 1

I thought I replied to this thread but it must be another. This suggestion is only for Gankers. The game should provide for hard worked separation distances that are achieved from instances and it does not. I shoots you back to original playing spot and produces a situation of attack again. This does not simulate real world. The Ships position in the map after the battle should be placed in the real world as a minimum. A delay in the attacking players ability to exit should be 3 minutes or more. Only then could a timer on the screen be considered.

You are right and i would say ALL these complaints about the combat screen comes from gankers. They all sit in thier ports waiting on TS for the call then rush out to gank then go back to port. If these " super troopers" ever ventured out into the world then there would be no outcry.

At the moment the vast bulk of people who can see the fight let alone hear it can't join because of the 2 min timer.

Nonsense, or someone out there is very consistently playing the wind against you and your friends.

"whelming strength and numbers at any given location" is traditionally the decider in RW conflict

And achieving that in RW requires logistics and concentration of force to the detriment of other locations that are irrelevant in game. It also seldom works reactively in real life. If you are able to concentrate force, then you should use it proactively in the game: either attack the enemy or provide a deterrent defense.

• Like 1

This X1000....