Game-Labs Forum

Free enemy Intel thanks to the no attack zone around the capital

This mechanic of not allowing attack or being attacked within the protection area of a capital no matter which is your nation provides anyone that manages to get there to give free Intel for an unlimited amount of time and of course rustle the jimmies of all the natives that are doing their things around.

Please fix this. No enemy should be able to sit at the entrance of the capital and stay there for as long as they want reporting any fleet move with zero risk.

• Like 13

I sailed into mo town last night to test this.

Happened to run into long beard.  Asked him to attack me.  He couldn't.

There were about 70+ pirates in the area.  I parked at Mo town and went afk for like 10 mins.  When i came back I was still sitting there perfectly fine.

This, however hilarious for myself and my clan mates, is not good in my opinion.

I literally sat at the edge of the protected zone and choose targets of opportunity.  With the new BR system and the protected zone there is nothing the rats could do to stop me.

I totally agree with this. 

I know the devs changed it because people accused other people of using alts to attack a trader or other AI ships in front of the harbor to pull an undocking defensive fleet into battle.

But the outcome of the change has this big downside.

I think the purpose of this is 3 pronged: to prevent griefing of new players, to prevent griefing in general, and to prevent the capital from being captured. Although I believe the mechanic could use some work. IMO the nation who owns the capital should be able to attack within the zone, but not be targeted. IE I am british and I spot a pirate outside of KPR, I can tag him but he can't tag me. 

• Like 1

Captains, at the moment it is lesser of two evils, but it might be solved somehow at the later stages. At least you can take actions accordingly (you see the enemy) like form up a group etc.

Unless you want to convince me that I can sink them with a staring contest I don't see how it fixes the fact that one single captain can sit there virtually forever reporting enemy movements without any drawback.

To me this is much worse than being accidentally tagged by a careless newbro.

• Like 2

US Snow sitting outside Mortimers last night reporting ship types as they left for the waiting Trincs further from port, this is a terrible mechanic

Edit: forming a group at 2am UK time, was not really an option, there were so few pirates about

Edited by Flob
  • Like 1

We can return the ability to attack enemies in the national capital waters

but we will ignore all the battle pulling complaints when players use alts to pull your fleets into battle

agreed?

Sounds like the lesser of two weevils.

but we will ignore all the battle pulling complaints when players use alts to pull your fleets into battle

agreed?

Yes , please do it, I dont know how for other nations but for pirate, we play pirate because we chose to do PvP, that means danger for us anywhere. We dont need a protection zone. If other nation want their protection zone for carebears, let them have it, but pirate needs none.  Mortimer is kind too safe now for my tastes, it will make our fellow pirate weak.

• Like 2

agreed?

If the issue is that players close to someone that is chilling on the undock attacks an IA fleet are dragged into battle, then simply offer them a pop up to see if they want or not to join the battle if they are not in the group of said player.

The current "national waters" area is huge, but making enemies invincible next to your capital is gamebreaking.

• Like 3

agreed?

When any ship begins an attack on another ship, everyone should see a symbol over the attacking ship.

We don't need to see the circle, but we need a visual indication that an attack is happening.

This topic is just one of several that would be helped by this.

• Like 1

I totally agree with this. 

I know the devs changed it because people accused other people of using alts to attack a trader or other AI ships in front of the harbor to pull an undocking defensive fleet into battle.

But the outcome of the change has this big downside.

It was happening so it's a good change. Though I really don't see the intel you can glean except from a nation that's been pushed back to their capital. Certainly no more then can be had just having an alt sit in their nation chat.

Certainly no more then can be had just having an alt sit in their nation chat.

Lol. You can actually see people heading somewhere. You just need to have people outside the drawing distance and be ready to catch lone people because you are giving them very precise information of fleet numbers.

I would not want alt tagging back so how about getting one of those big ai fleets to tag any enemy within national waters? That'll cure 'em

Well I do hope crossteaming will in the future result in a permanent ban for both the offending account and the real account of the player behind it.

• Like 1

Lol. You can actually see people heading somewhere. You just need to have people outside the drawing distance and be ready to catch lone people because you are giving them very precise information of fleet numbers.

You can but the capitials generally aren't 'important' areas. Assault fleets don't set out from them usually, players there are either  doing missions or leaving with empty trade ships to pick things up.

And well, I have little sympathy for people that absent minded mission run thinking the capital is safe ;)

Easiest solution I guess is just make the protection boundary uncrossable for non nation players.

agreed?

How come you cant just add a pop up to join the attack so those not wanting to get pulled don't or only the attacker enters the battle and the others then have to click and join, the only issue with it is that you now have the 1.5BR which isn't working that will be the issue, but we can remove that ;)

Someone should just make a poll with the aforementioned suggestions and advertise it for a few days in our nation chats so we can offer the devs a clear, definitive, and timely solution. This is a relatively minor issue and i think we'd all benefit in the long run if the devs were allowed to spend max time and effort on the next major patch. Just my suggestion.