Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.7 - Land sighted

admin

Soften the ganking.

• Ganking is considered a main problem by a large portion of the community and needs to be lessened a bit. We are bringing back an old feature FOR TESTING that was in game before the release. Initial attack does not have any limitations as before. But entering the battle cannot change the balance in battle for more than 1.5x BR difference. In this case if you got yourself into an even fight enemies close by will not be able to unbalance the battle. Of course if you see a large fleet on the horizon its still better to run.

I can't remember the general reaction to this the last time it was tested, but I certainly remember how this greatly discouraged me and my friends from sailing together - and in the end from playing the game since the best part of a game is playing it with friends.

We attack a ship, or a couple of ships, and one of us have to wait outside because of battle rating (and risk being attacked, alone, by an enemy while the others are in the first battle). That doesn't work for me.

• Like 2

I'm hoping this will reduce the insane amount of ramming by "players"...  Worst tactic of being able to use throwaway ships.

"Helmsman, put me right into the side of that third rate!"

"No effing way, sir!"

Well the echos will remain for some time since even now, people are talking in national chat that they need to stock up 40 3rd rates in their outpost this evening, so we will still see the disposable thirds for some time after the patch :D But yeah this, and removing the realistic order of the captain (that all 650 crew members would totally listen to) of not putting out the fire and burning alive in the hopes of damaging the enemy ship will make battles somewhat realistic :P 

Uhm, the fact that you can choose any level of missions seems to me kind of a preparation for the wipe (after the next - diplo and rvr - patch), so one can do low level missions to get the gold to buy the ships that will put him fast "on paire" with its XP level.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

Listen to yourself. New players don't need new ships, they need to level and earn gold first. This is what they will do. Cap/kill npcs and earn gold. Later after they are promoted to new rank they will go to the nearest store and buy any ship they want and able to sail. Once they reach high rank they will get involved in craft/clans and will be able to get high quality Sol warship. New players need gold and xp. Ships to sail are in the stores for them.

I understand your point of view my friend no need to get so heated :) See it from other peoples perspective as well. When i started this game all i wanted to do was board ships, capture prizes and man them against my enemies. I simply feel sorry for the new players that wont get to experience the feels of manning a ship they capture with there blood and sweat. Lets be honest the only reason to play a game is for enjoyment and the feeling of capturing and manning your first merc is a hard one to replace.

I will leave this discussion there as thats all i have to say on the matter. Either way good patch notes glad to see some long term problems fixed :) 

• Like 3

Pirates should still be able to capture NPC ships.

Many have complained 'pirates should not capture ports, pirates should not craft ships'. Removing the ability to capture ships is making pirate ports & crafters a necessity now.

I'm all for what others have posted, keep the ability to capture ships up to frigates.

• Like 2

We attack a ship, or a couple of ships, and one of us have to wait outside because of battle rating (and risk being attacked, alone, by an enemy while the others are in the first battle). That doesn't work for me.

Yes, this is gonna be dull and risky. I already spend half my time waiting outside battles because of the 2 minute timers, this is just another factor that adds into my waiting game...

• Like 4

Listen to yourself. New players don't need new ships, they need to level and earn gold first. This is what they will do. Cap/kill npcs and earn gold. Later after they are promoted to new rank they will go to the nearest store and buy any ship they want and able to sail. Once they reach high rank they will get involved in craft/clans and will be able to get high quality Sol warship. New players need gold and xp. Ships to sail are in the stores for them.

But, beside this utilitarian view, new players might like to spot a npc warship in OW, board her and have the reward of sailing her.

The fun of sailing a captured ship is content / RP, much more fun than to go to the shop and buy one.

Sailing along an enemy coastline searching for a given ship class might be a reason to sail in the OW for some. So it is content.

For role-playing as a Pirate or a Privateer, I'd rather capture a ship in the OW than go shopping. 

That's why I'd rather have the option to keep even a few captured ships and give the majority to the Admiralty.

However, this is a detail in an otherwise great content patch.

• Like 5

Yes, this is gonna be dull and risky. I already spend half my time waiting outside battles because of the 2 minute timers, this is just another factor that adds into my waiting game...

If you wanted to join a 3v1 gank as a 4th player - turning it into 4v1 - yes, you won't enter that battle.

thats exactly what 80% of the players wanted 

• Like 9

• Known blueprints no longer drop for the crafter

Why? You want a more player driven economy but you purposely sabotage that economy. It makes no sense at all. Where is the choice in the game anymore? So someone who just wants to craft to get blueprints to sell them can't do that anymore? I've got a couple friends who do this and know many more who do this as well. They don't want to be a crafter, they just craft certain ships for certain blueprints to sell them to other players. But they can't do that anymore. Sounds rather redundant.

• Important: Combat NPC ships are now transferred to the admiralty after capture – admiralty immediately provides the compensation for the captured ship durability. But you cannot capture NPC ships any more. Trading ships can be captured.

Again, why? Sucks for anyone who is a high rank who transfers to server one. Have to grind out even more to get back into a ship of their rank. And with a server merger on the horizon this was an even worst idea to have. Seriously, who comes up with this shit? So now someone high ranking has to waste time grinding because of your decision to merge servers to get back into a ship of their rank. Absolutely embarrassing.

If you wanted to join a 3v1 gank as a 4th player - turning it into 4v1 - yes, you won't enter that battle.

thats exactly what 80% of the players wanted 

80% of the players really? Where was the survey on that. I sure as hell wasn't asked to participate. Neither was anyone else I asked.

//Edit - I was issued a warning for this post. Apparently this is trolling/non-constructive. What? This isn't ranting. If you wanted me to rant I could write a book for you. This IS constructive criticism. I just don't think you liked me calling you on this supposed 80% deal.

Edited by gravvy
  • Like 1

• Important: Combat NPC ships are now transferred to the admiralty after capture – admiralty immediately provides the compensation for the captured ship durability. But you cannot capture NPC ships any more. Trading ships can be captured.

Again, why? Sucks for anyone who is a high rank who transfers to server one. Have to grind out even more to get back into a ship of their rank. And with a server merger on the horizon this was an even worst idea to have. Seriously, who comes up with this shit? So now someone high ranking has to waste time grinding because of your decision to merge servers to get back into a ship of their rank. Absolutely embarrassing.

Not true, all nation have big clans will help you providing ships and all you need :) 

You can still capture player ships ;)

Yep and players are going to be far more cautious with their ships making capping them that much harder.

I have been playing pre steam launch.  Probably 650+ hours in game. (Ill update to accurate when i get home from work.)

To date:

• I have purchased one boat in game.
  • Three given to me by clan mates for helping them out.
  • I have 280k.  The most money iv ever had in game.
  • I have 2 production buildings.  Both Level 1 to help my small clan.
  • One level 1 shipyard so i can craft small pvp boats from the stuff i capture from traders
  • I have 4 outposts.
  • I have done a total of maybe 15 missions.  I have spent 90% of my time pvping. 
  • I am a master commandant.
  •  The largest boat i own is a Frigate captured from a player.

I would say I have been fairly successful as far as pvp battles go and my winning percentage is higher then my loss even when choosing to attack much larger targets the majority of the time.   I have been able to pvp every day for fun with small boats with minimal grinding.  This game has been tons of fun.    

I fear for the change that not capping small NPC ships brings to the game.  I will adapt and my gameplay will change.  But for other less successful pvpers or those going out on their first pvp experience fearing ship loss this change scares me.

For role-playing as a Pirate or a Privateer, I'd rather capture a ship in the OW than go shopping. 

That's why I'd rather have the option to keep even a few captured ships and give the majority to the Admiralty.

However, this is a detail in an otherwise great content patch.

NPCs sailing all ships now. Including large fleets of first rates. 

To avoid problems with imbalances caused by this capture is switched off. Its just a checkbox on the server. if its wrong its going to be changed. 

Don't let us question the open development :)

• Like 8

Given the last days did nothing but PvP with the flying black along with a few cargo sold, managed to buy two new outposts, 250k and the 400k ones, so I have a slight impression that there is something really fishy going on with your book keepers babble  ;) you might want to replace the quartermaster, he's taking a bigger share under your nose :) ( joking, but different players experiences will vary a lot )

Money was never an issue in PvP. In the new system ( as before ) a 18k npc store Privateer does its own cost in one battle.

Yep and players are going to be far more cautious with their ships making capping them that much harder.

I have been playing pre steam launch.  Probably 650+ hours in game. (Ill update to accurate when i get home from work.)

To date:

• I have purchased one boat in game.
  • Three given to me by clan mates for helping them out.
  • I have 280k.  The most money iv ever had in game.
  • I have 2 production buildings.  Both Level 1 to help my small clan.
  • One level 1 shipyard so i can craft small pvp boats from the stuff i capture from traders
  • I have 4 outposts.
  • I have done a total of maybe 15 missions.  I have spent 90% of my time pvping. 
  • I am a master commandant.
  •  The largest boat i own is a Frigate captured from a player.

I would say I have been fairly successful as far as pvp battles go and my winning percentage is higher then my loss even when choosing to attack much larger targets the majority of the time.   I have been able to pvp every day for fun with small boats with minimal grinding.  This game has been tons of fun.    

I fear for the change that not capping small NPC ships brings to the game.  I will adapt and my gameplay will change.  But for other less successful pvpers or those going out on their first pvp experience fearing ship loss this change scares me.

Ive never captured a single ship ingame.

I buy all my stuff or have some lent to me from my very good clan friends. But at least 90% of them are bought and all of them are grey/common/fine. Low quality ships are not that bad guys, I think players have enjoyed the luxury of exceptional ships for far too long.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of the blueprint change.  Now people will rarely be selling them, or have a reason to sell them.  What happens if someone owns every blueprint, do none drop for them?  Is that entire income source removed?

Ship BPs are NOT a commodity. And I am 100% sure they are not intended as one. That is a non-issue - you can make more money trading the commodity called crafting note instead.

• Like 1

OTMatt... I think the BR difference only counts after the first tag. The way I read it is if you're inside the initial tag range, everyone still gets in regardless of BR. But yes, this changes those "send a speed-trim Rennomee ahead to tag" wolf-pack tactics.

• Like 1

Given the last days doing nothing but PvP with the flying black managed to buy two new outposts, 250k and the 400k, I have a slight impression that there is something really fishy going on with your book keepers babble  ;)

Money was never an issue in PvP. In the new system ( as before ) a 18k npc store Privateer does its own cost in one battle.

Id gladly take all the screenies you'd like or let the admin release my stats.

What are you pvping in?

Larger boats make more money.

Id gladly take all the screenies you'd like or let the admin release my stats.

What are you pvping in?

Larger boats make more money.

PvP1. Sold cargo as well and smuggled carriages to the dutch side in exchange for two new ships, brand new Lynx and Privateer.

Yesterday did bounce 4 combats that combined might have been close to 200k. One of them was pretty spectacular in the end with Stephen Decatur.

Lost 1 Essex durability during the evening.