Game-Labs Forum

Ship duels - feedback needed

We plan to add ship duel room next large patch. 

The design is very simple

You enter a lobby in a ship - if there is another ship of the same BR in the room the duel will start.

If there are no ships of the same class you will wait until someone comes in in the similar vessel.

Main rules will be set as for small events (30 min mandatory timer and then 2 min exit timer)

Questions to the community

• Should ships be lost in the duel?
  • Any suggestions to changes to XP/rewards?
  • Leaderboards?
  • Like 17

Ships should absolutely be lost in a duel. There shouldn't be any "safe zone", otherwise there would be no reason to go out into "real world".

As for XP/Reward - low. Lower than missions against AI. It's an insta-battle, add water and done - rewards should reflect it. im positive 95% of duelers will also be glad to not have any grinders inside their duel houses.

Leaderboards - not yet. If duel rooms work, next step would be to add ability to dues in-nation and other players in open world - just having a "want to duel" flag out. The ultimate goal should be to be able to have duels go on in real world, around PvP areas, in neutral towns... as long as not based on teleporting ships.

• Like 3

Well XP rewards should't be the same as in OW because everybody will start grinding though the duel room.

Also custom duel rooms would be nice. Kinda like Warthunder custom battles were you can fight friends were you earn any XP. It could help with ship testing.

I'm not sure about ship loss. I think that there should be but i don't know at what level. Maybe something like every 3 deats 1 dura.

• Like 1

1. Ships should not be lost.

2. There should be no rewards.

3. A Leaderboard would be cool. :P

4. Add "Skirmish" room (Small Event but with no loss and no rewards). :D

why will i make duals if i haven't any rewards, i'll just gank in OW and never make any dual.... 

Suggestion: similar to another multiplayer game, there could also be a duel/group room for arranged battles, training and testing.

But in that one there would be no risk of losing ship, but no rewards either, but ships would still get damaged and need repairs.

Don't care. Because of durability loss there is no point in these battles, last time I participated was in the Basic Cutter. Better save my ship for OW that actually matter. So a bit of a pointless option for me but if people want it, let them have it.

??? I just tell, duals must be rewarded with xp/gold like in OW, or just a little less, but by risking ships dura, we must be rewarded. :)

I agree, if there is risk then there needs to be a reward, otherwise no reward = no risk.

1. Ships should not be lost.

2. There should be no rewards.

3. A Leaderboard would be cool. :P

4. Add "Skirmish" room (Small Event but with no loss and no rewards). :D

I completely agree with this, its how it should have been done from the start, then those that just want battle can without fearing loss and its can all just got back to the fun of the game like sea trials!!!!

The reason why we cant have rewards is because people exploit it, i would also like to see those that gank get less rewards to try promote fairer fights, or the one thats being ganked not feel like its the end of the world and they get a good return for their misfortune.

Edited by Ronald Speirs
  • Like 1

We plan to add ship duel room next large patch. 

The design is very simple

You enter a lobby in a ship - if there is another ship of the same BR in the room the duel will start.

If there are no ships of the same class you will wait until someone comes in in the similar vessel.

Main rules will be set as for small events (30 min mandatory timer and then 2 min exit timer)

Questions to the community

• Should ships be lost in the duel?
  • Any suggestions to changes to XP/rewards?
  • Leaderboards?

I don't care much for in-port match making but I definitely want an option added to the list of actions you get when you target someone (atack / private message / invite) that allows to players to have a consentual and private duel, even within the same nation. Extend this option to groups and you'll make a lot of peeps happy.

How many times have 2 groups met with totally unfair BR diff but offered duels/fair fights to avoid cat and mouse and port camping.... Being able to jump in a duel without the 24 other guys betraying would be hella nice.

• Like 1

??? I just tell, duals must be rewarded with xp/gold like in OW, or just a little less, but by risking ships dura, we must be rewarded. :)

If the duel rooms are populated by people who go there because that's the best reward, they will have no reason to exist. Rewards cannot be better than PvE - it's already faster than PvE, if it also paid better there would be no duels in duel rooms. Just farming.

And let's be frank here - how costly is it to get a gray ship for grinding? You ain't riskin' much.

The very idea of duel means people who go in go there to test their skills. Ability to do so is the reward. If you go in there for the rewards, you are only make the time bad for people who go there to duel. It's an optional thing, if you don't go for duels because "not enough XP", this is not a problem.

• Like 2

I would suggest that you have two options, one being a "Friendly" duel where you do not earn experience, but equally you do not lose your ship. The second should be a hostile type duel where normal PvP rewards apply, with the ability to lose your ship.

Perhaps rather than having a lobby system, you should perhaps have the ability to click them in the open water and send a duel offer.

No loss, no gain. Just pure dueling at this phase please.

The exploiting possibilities are too high.

If you want to make the dueling bigger, it needs to be almost a completely separate game with a separate progression system. But for now all we need is a no gain no loss dueling room. We duel for the fun of it and to test gamemechanics.

• Like 11

1 - Depends... If you want to promote the competitivity dont let sink ships and this will be "Sports" duels, otherwise can become on "grinder" duels

2 - It depends. If you decide to implement ship lost then give EXP and GOLD, If not, do not give EXP but yes a little amount of gold

3 - Leaderboard will be great! I think you should make national and international ones.

*** Suggestion : If you decide to implement leaderboards, you should include some prizes to the 10th first places (for example). (Prizes like EXP, GOLD, SHIPS. Whatever) If you do this you encourage people to duel in the "arena" probably this could finish in a new competitive way of the game.

Edited by Protyp

Is there any possibility to add some options to the design.

1) Toggle the XP/Gold to allow, an opportunity for players to train without loosing gold or duras.

Adding the ability to choose your opponent would also be helpful for training purposes.

2) Toggle the ship class restriction but offer odds for unequal class battles.

Allowing these choices is important because there are so many situations where we may want to engage in a match that is not just designed as another chance to level up.

No loss of dura - No Reward.

It will be a great testing / training environment. And that's how it should be pushed...

Keep PvP to OW game mechanics for the most part.

No encouragement needed except the possibility of becoming a better Captiain & maybe learn something in these duel environments.

• Like 3

Make this dueling room pure and simple for now. No gain no loss no leaderboards, nothing. We will use it to duel, to have fun, to try and test things. If there was a way to get small skirmishes in it, it would be great aswell.

Other than that, if you want to make it a real game mode, we would have to discuss much much more on this. 

(Tournaments and stuff can be organised by ourselves :) )

• Like 6

No loss of dura - No Reward.

It will be a great testing / training environment. And that's how it should be pushed...

Keep PvP to OW game mechanics for the most part.

No encouragement needed except the possibility of becoming a better Captiain & maybe learn something in these duel environments.

Плюсую. в других проэктах такие дуэли принесли уйму пользы, и никакого риска и эксплоитов!

Edited by Joybringer