Game-Labs Forum

Ship duels - feedback needed

This thread is not about developement plans. The duel room WILL COME. The question was: "how to implement it". Simple question, simple answers. 

The Duel room will not take any players out of the ow. I'm wondering why people are even calling this a problem. There are over 1k players around and nations are sailing with 120 ppl at the same spot at the same time. how many more ppl do you want? Those few guys who are testing and dueling will not matter on the ow at all. And for those few guys, e.g. me, the dueling room is very very important, and we want it a no gain no loss room with adjustable teams and chooseable ships.

NO autostart, NO random start, NO loss, NO exp, NO gold.

Interesting, but why do you make a POLL then ????

If 100% of the replies say "NO", don´t? (the Admin said: "we plan...")

Furthermore, you already know how it will be...why a poll then??

Edited by Wilson09

Dura loss doesn't really matter, I think.

If dura is lost, people will just make friendly duels that get called off as soon as one person starts taking water. 1:30 later he clicks out (assuming typical open sea rules).

Ideal would just be a checkbox (or several checkboxes) defining the rules, which both players can agree to before hitting "Ready".

wilson, you probably didnt understand me the way i meant it.

a) this is not a poll, this is a question

b ) I did not create the thread, the admin did, so dont ask me why.

c ) the dueling room will be implemented, they are only asking how to do it

d ) 100% is alrdy out of the window for either arguement

e ) I dont know how it will be, and i never said i did. 

Maybe there is some language issue here. Sry if i offended you, 

Overall, we need this room to be no loss no exp no gold, no randomness.

IMO the reason small battle rooms failed is that as some people touched upon, is that free basic cutters are allowed in and just became a no loss troll fest on anybody wanting a legitimate battle.

To the people who say dont allow dueling rooms of whatever size as it will decrease OW participation, id tell them there are already people working the system to acheive this anyway. also remember that the game has bled people who want only pvp and this could induce them to return.

Allowing only same nation duels unless competition will only make people join the same nation.

Training rooms and Duel rooms should be a separate topic:

Training rooms should open and be able to start with no opposition so that clans or groups (or individuals) can practice maneuvers and evolutions without enemy, or be able to split your own group up and be able to practice enemy approaches ETC.

Duel rooms should be just that and for the most part be loss/XP/Gold free.

What will be annoying is that you will have to grind in OW just to be able to play in the Duel rooms so in the long run the question of a list of basic even ships being available to fight in may come up. Maybe not the whole lineup like sea trials - but a few select ships

My 2c

Dazed 

• Like 1

For a pure 1 vs 1 duel room with only 2 ships in total I would prefer:

- No loss of ships

- No rewards

- Leaderboard (preferably with an opt-out option for players who don't like that or just want to do training duels)

I think a just for fun custom battle room or something similar without any losses / rewards might also be worth considering at some point.

Looking very much forward to any kind of improvements of the PvP mission / room system. I really liked the quick Sea Trials battles before dinner. :)

wilson, you probably didnt understand me the way i meant it.

a) this is not a poll, this is a question

b ) I did not create the thread, the admin did, so dont ask me why.

c ) the dueling room will be implemented, they are only asking how to do it

d ) 100% is alrdy out of the window for either arguement

e ) I dont know how it will be, and i never said i did. 

Maybe there is some language issue here. Sry if i offended you, 

Overall, we need this room to be no loss no exp no gold, no randomness.

No worries, I am fine with it.

You were right, sorry. I did not read the post in full detail,

I already posted before...

Sorry, no problem.

(yes, I was pissed. I AM so pissed. Having met 3 consecutive times, 3rd clan teams in a row in Small Battles,

I am sick of Naval Action. Those capped 3rd rates take all the fun away in the game. I lost my self craftet

except. TRINC due to awful match making and mechanics....even the casual gamer gets piised by 3rd rates....)

No Loss

No Rewards Or XP

This will be great for people who like skilled, challenging PvP. It won't empty the OS, you'll still have your ganks, don't worry zerglings. :P

Edited by Acadian44
  • Like 1

1.  I'd say no loss of ship since this a magical meeting in the holo deck.....don't complain when people ask for reduced teleport timers.

2. No rewards otherwise this will be exploitable to no end

3. Leaderboards just are an e-peen list but really don't care one way or the other I guess. Games I've played they end up being somewhat manipulated in the end anyways.

What I do care about though is that there seems to be an awful lot of other things that need to be fixed, improved, or tested that I think are a whole lot more important than this right now. I'm all for adding some new content but how about we finish what we have already in game?  

The duel room will allow focus testing groups to test balance and new features and changes such as e.g. Marines. Think of it as a necessity to make the rest of the game better. 

(Edit.: Yes, leaderboards only make sense if they are true, but they will be "farmed" for e-peen anyways, so there is no reason for them to be there in the first place. The people who duel a lot will know who is on what place on that list anyways. Actually i probably could give you a relatively accurate list of the top 5 right now. ;) )

• Like 1

Leaderboards will help keep interest alive as well. I think they're probably worthwhile... people like to be able to measure their accomplishments and all that.

It would be cool if, when you right-click someone's name in the chat or friend lookup interface, there'd be a "Challenge to Duel" option. Obviously there'd be details to work out, but for non-random encounters, that would be a neat way to initiate a duel.

Maybe it could even happen in the OW, too? With basically no entry timer to prevent ganking/griefing? And if the person being challenged declined, it would just become a normal "attack".

Edited by surfimp

If ships lose durability, normal PvP XP/Cash rewards must be given. The queues after the Duel Room's initial release will become much more sparse, especially in off hours.

Leaderboard is fine.

In the far off future, I'd actually like to see a "Duel Room" expanded upon and maybe even approached in a direction like World of Warcraft's Arena system:

Ships don't lose durability.

Only gain rating for winning, no xp/gold.

Higher rating gives you access to certain prestige rewards that don't affect performance on OW. (Different flag texture, figurehead, etc.)

Leaderboard is highly emphasized.

Players would still have incentive to go out into the open world, while also having the ability to show everyone how badass they are in the OW after being in the top 0.5% of ship duels.

I would vote for;

No ship loss

No rewards

No leader board

It would be very useful as a training environment for new players and for new ship load-out/setup/ familairisation.

In my opinion, It would be good if it could be expanded at some time to allow fleets, similar to the old sea trials 'Trafalgar' to explore fleet tactics/training - using gratis no mod ships randomly allocated and not according to player rank - to mix it up a bit and keep the SOL driver honest!

Will it be added in the next content patch ? Isn't it just a discussion ?

According to the OP( this thread) the duel system is planned in next large patch. If it was already planned why include it in the most recent development discussion poll?

It's like me asking my son if he wants sloppy joes or liver and onions for dinner, then saying we are having liver and onions regardless.

Edited by Ruthless4u

According to the OP( this thread) the duel system is planned in next large patch. If it was already planned why include it in the most recent development discussion poll?

It's like me asking my son if he wants sloppy joes or liver and onions for dinner, then saying we are having liver and onions regardless.

I should have read OP's first line...

Good question. 

I guess your son would be mad/unhappy and you'd have hard time trying to make him eat...  :D