Game-Labs Forum
admin

Chain shot limitations - advanced warning

1 minute ago, admin said:

You are making a flawed statement. Think about it

You say limited chain will increase online drop.
There are two states of the game

• One with limited chain
  • Another with unlimited chain

Something must be preferred by players and one is definitely better than another.
You post online numbers and say they are falling. But chain shot is not limited currently.
Inferring from your argument (using 1st year logic) this means Unlimited chain shot is the reason of online fall?
Using your logic further - limited chain will cause online to go up? Because it falls currently with unlimited chain

Lesson of all this. Online will fluctuate. I want more tactical depth in chain use and will add it to the game despite if you want brainless clicker heroes chaining
Online is falling because there is no advertising and random players who stumble to forums see hating posts from you and decide to wait. 

Let me ask you this then, who asked for this change? What demographic? How large a population?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jesper Dahl said:

Let me ask you this then, who asked for this change? What demographic? How large a population?

I decide how the game will look on release. We all then test and provide feedback. 

Right now you are providing feedback BEFORE testing - which makes your feedback useless.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, admin said:

Open development has not worked well for NA in the past. You can safely forget those times
 I decide how the game will look on release. 

Cant argue with that. Pointless arguing with your players then.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, admin said:

You are making a flawed statement. Think about it

You say limited chain will increase online drop.
There are two states of the game

• One with limited chain
  • Another with unlimited chain

Something must be preferred by players and one is definitely better than another. We have not tested with limited chain and the only time to test is before release.

You post online numbers and say they are falling. But chain shot is not limited currently.
Inferring from your argument (using 1st year logic) this means Unlimited chain shot is the reason of online fall?
Using your logic further - limited chain will cause online to go up? Because it falls currently with unlimited chain

Lesson of all this.
I want more tactical depth in chain use and will add it to the game despite if some casual players want to keep brainless clicker heroes chaining with no thinking required.

Online will fluctuate and has no correlation with chainshot number. (+ it always fell in april may before)
Online is not growing because there is no advertising and random players who stumble to forums see hating posts from you and decide to wait. 

While other guy spams rig repairs?

if you went for realism game would be more hardcore but also more intresting and fun, but you are leaving realism

• Like 1

1 hour ago, admin said:

Captains

Amount of chain shot carried by a ship will be limited next patch (so called tutorial patch)
No perk will be required for use of chain (at least for now).

Reasons

• Historically ships carried A LOT less chain and grape compared to normal cannon balls.

You want to use real fact as an argument.  Then you also have to limit balls. Any ship only had that much space for cannons. How it was ballanced was  I don't know. But as you your self say. There have to be a balance between. lets say it is 10-10-80. That means if a ship can fire lets say 100 chain, then i only can fire 800 balls.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kutai said:

I guess the Naval Action video advertisement I got while watching You Tube the other day was a figment of my imagination. 

I guess you are not familiar with you tube engagement algorithms. They rotate engaging videos and show to users that could be interested in the subject, which can show ads even if the budget is minimal. 

But those who click on those viral ads - will then come to the forum and see your posts. Where you talk about the dead game - which has not been yet released.

3 minutes ago, staun said:

You want to use real fact as an argument.  Then you also have to limit balls. Any ship only had that much space for cannons. How it was ballanced was  I don't know. But as you your self say. There have to be a balance between. lets say it is 10-10-80. That means if a ship can fire lets say 100 chain, then i only can fire 800 balls.  

They have to limit ALL ammo if they want this to work. Limiting  just one ammo type is useless. Not a single game makes 1 ammo type limited and other types unlimited. It's just silly. 

Edited by Project Pluto

5 minutes ago, Lovec1990 said:

While other guy spams rig repairs?

if you went for realism game would be more hardcore but also more intresting and fun, but you are leaving realism

We don't even know how much chain we will have. Can't we just try it out instead of raging on the forums. Now we have the time to try things out at release it's too late.

Edited by Pada
  • Like 9

Just now, Pada said:

We don't even now how much chain we will have. Can't we just try it out instead of raging on the forums. Now we have the time to try things out at release it's too late.

i do not care about the amount but that now using rig repairs will save you 100%

• Like 1

@admin can you state the nature of the chain limitation?

Number of rounds for each cannon?  Total weight of chain prorated to ship class or size?  Or hold size?  The OP does not state the nature of the limitation, maybe you don't know at this point?  More details would help with a more fruitful discussion.  Maybe I missed it, I didn't see that discussed.

2 minutes ago, staun said:

Typically every cannon had a difference of 4 shots, 2 chains and 1 grape - but this dependent entirely on the captain and the merchant vessels would prob carry many more chains since this were their only means of outrunning a warship.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

@admin can you state the nature of the chain limitation?

Number of rounds for each cannon?  Total weight of chain prorated to ship class or size?  Or hold size?  The OP does not state the nature of the limitation, maybe you don't know at this point?  More details would help with a more fruitful discussion.  Maybe I missed it, I didn't see that discussed.

I would say I will be ok with 200 shots per battle before resupply. I would also, be glad to use a perk that would expand the storage capacity. I already suggested ammo crates as drops from npcs to resupply after battle at sea. With all this in place I see no negatives for limiting all ammo types. 

Edited by Project Pluto

as for chain ball:

currently its used for tottaly wrong thing in real life chain was used for destroying rigging and smaller masts and not for making holes in sails.

it would be better if chain damages rigging and if player uses 100% sails hist mast could break

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lovec1990 said:

as for chain ball:

currently its used for tottaly wrong thing in real life chain was used for destroying rigging and smaller masts and not for making holes in sails.

it would be better if chain damages rigging and if player uses 100% sails hist mast could break

You could do whatever you wanted. There were no limitations to strategies. 

Edited by Project Pluto

I'm all for the limitation of chain shot.....IF repairs are limited as well.  If we're playing the realism card here it makes zero sense to have unlimited repairs (almost a brand new ship sometimes) and then have limited chain shot.  

If we're going for realism, lets go for realism.  This half in half out shit is just flat out frustrating.  

PS - some serious meltdown in this thread.  Not a good look for potential game buyers.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, admin said:

Captains

Amount of chain shot carried by a ship will be limited next patch (so called tutorial patch)
No perk will be required for use of chain (at least for now).

Reasons

• Historically ships carried A LOT less chain and grape compared to normal cannon balls. 
  • Gameplay wise we want to bring more skill into chaining and limitation of chain will force players to conserve it, pick proper angles to destroy more sail and in general think about its use instead of current chainshot clicker heroes
  • This also means that outnumbered players will have easier time fighting against bigger groups who rely on active chaining as the ONLY tactic. 

Please start thinking about new tactics and of course.... discuss. 

Unlimited repairs and limited chains creates imbalance. Limited demasting a ability creates additional difference. I think this patch will make experienced players (including me) too strong. Let's test :)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kutai said:

I think they are more likely to see your engagement with the community and turn straight around and walk out the door. 

Sometimes understandable when you have to engage with people who always dislike everything and immediately start with cursing and insulting the devs or other players who think otherwise and mostly derail discussion with unconstructive posts . I am not accusing you. it is just a general observation over the times. And we all have learned that admin is sometimes easy to provoke ;)

Edited by Cecil Selous
  • Like 1

i am curious what @fox2run has to add ^^ For now i am happy that tactical decisions start to matter again.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Lars Kjaer said:

Typically every cannon had a difference of 4 shots, 2 chains and 1 grape - but this dependent entirely on the captain and the merchant vessels would prob carry many more chains since this were their only means of outrunning a warship.

Nope
On average it was 5-10 chains and 100 cannon balls

• Like 2

Nice change, it will force people to play more agressive and not just chain for the whole duration.

Its also good for new players imo. Often you see them chaining a 40% target instead of killing it.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, admin said:

Nope
On average it was 5-10 chains and 100 cannon balls

Not really true but I'd like to see you ressource. I've been reading up on danish protocols for warships (frigates mainly) and there it seems to be the case. Tho ressources are from 1650-1820's..

3 minutes ago, z4ys said:

i am curious what @fox2run has to add ^^ For now i am happy that tactical decisions starts to matter again.

LOL it's not tactical. It changes nothing except that after you use your chain the enemy ship can repair because guess what. He has infinite repairs. Limited ammo vs unlimited hp do not work. But what do I know.  Somehow I don't get any arguments in favor of repairs because admin prefers to argue with people that talk about player-base... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

Somehow I don't get any arguments in favor of repairs because admin prefers to argue with people that talk about player-base... 

Toxic shit posters have been completely removed or warned. 
Please continue the feature discussion