Game-Labs Forum

Chain shot limitations - advanced warning

1 minute ago, Lars Kjaer said:

So for the experienced PvP players you'll now be safe from de-sailing, but for the inexperienced PvP players you know have no means to counter mast-sniping.. Are we going to see a limitation on balls as well? Otherwise this change favours only the select few that has all the knowledge slots and the best upgrades.. Mast upgrades - here I come!

This won't do anything good for the playerbase, this will be a final nail in a casual players PvP coffin..

Casual PVP? Naval action is not a casual game. In fact we always said IT IS NOT CASUAL. 
Naval Action is a hardcore, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat sandbox immersing players into the experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, admin said:

Video of at least one of them? 
Maybe i am wrong and video will prove me wrong. But data shows that majority of battles end  pretty fast
there only reason for a long battle is when both sides are extremely passive, or extremely accurate and skilled. Being passive is and was discouraged historically as it always led to indecisive battles .  I will gladly check the video. 

You are KOTO right? Whenever i see your battles on the streams they always end up with full or partial annihilation of one of the sides.
PS. Patrol battles always end with death. 

Problem is admin no one records boring long videos :P All the quick battles are RVR based battles and well worth recording. :) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, admin said:

Casual PVP? Naval action is not a casual game. In fact we always said IT IS NOT CASUAL. 
Naval Action is a hardcore, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat sandbox immersing players into the experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas.

You can cater for the 2% crowd as much as you want but your game is dead then.

http://steamcharts.com/app/311310

How many DLCs are you going to try sell to the same 25-50 people and their alts?

• Like 7

nice update, but its bad for me, I like getting chained, I just go battle sails and rinse their hull, this means they will sink me instead of chaining me and getting nice and close.

also people stop saying speed is everything plz, I mean cmon, fast ships are only good for chasing (not to mention the sacrifice on everything else for a little speed), let them come, unless you hachi

Edited by traitorous mctraitoro
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, admin said:

So how low do we want the player numbers? As it is it is not a SKILL based game but a game where the battles are decided by: Shipwoods, upgrades and knowledge slots in that order. 

20 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

I'm sorry, but if you have nothing smart to add, remain silent and stop insulting. Maybe @Lars Kjaer will calm you down. Players from Prussia can confirm my claims about Epic Events, I've been doing them since Devs added them to the game, just ask:.

I get that you got the stuff you need. And the less the plebs have the better your chance is to kill them. I mean you can only win certain ways and if the game go that way its fine. But then the amount of players left will be very small.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, admin said:

Naval action has been to casual for my taste lately. There is nothing hardcore about it. 

Edited by HachiRoku
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, admin said:

I am sure you can guess... maybe our servers could hold this answer?? 

not really servers also record pve battles plus battles where gankers attack new players yes they give you a picture but for acurate one you need people in game to report this things.

As for claiming Naval action is realistic is far fecht plus its going away from realism

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, admin said:

PS. Patrol battles always end with death. 

Most of them; I had one case where a bunch of princes targeted and chained my belle poule - couldnt catch them.

Now that  should be partly solved with limited chain, so i like it.

(patrol battles still need a RoE overhaul tho :P )

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jesper Dahl said:

You can cater for the 2% crowd as much as you want but your game is dead then.

http://steamcharts.com/app/311310

How many DLCs are you going to try sell to the same 25-50 people and their alts?

We doubt that chain shot has such huge correlation with online . I am sure you are just exaggerating because of passion

But  In fact online numbers are completely irrelevant for me during early access. 
They are going to continue going up and down between 200-700 during early access every patch

7 minutes ago, admin said:

We doubt that chain shot has such huge correlation with online numbers. In fact online numbers are completely irrelevant for me during early access. 
They are going to continue going up and down between 200-700 during early access every patch

Having a decent chance in a PvP battle or not will affect player numbers. 

EDIT: Make all ammos limited so that there's different tactics to win a battle or make them unlimited.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, admin said:

Captains

Amount of chain shot carried by a ship will be limited next patch (so called tutorial patch)
No perk will be required for use of chain (at least for now).

Reasons

• Historically ships carried A LOT less chain and grape compared to normal cannon balls. 
  • Gameplay wise we want to bring more skill into chaining and limitation of chain will force players to conserve it, pick proper angles to destroy more sail and in general think about its use instead of current chainshot clicker heroes
  • This also means that outnumbered players will have easier time fighting against bigger groups who rely on active chaining as the ONLY tactic. 

Please start thinking about new tactics and of course.... discuss. 

Why not introduce limited ammo at this point? This will even help Economy. In reality Captains could share ammunition with their fleet ships. You can make it happen as well. 

Edited by Project Pluto
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, admin said:

We doubt that chain shot has such huge correlation with online . I am sure you are just exaggerating because of passion

But  In fact online numbers are completely irrelevant for me during early access. 

The game is dead post early access unless something big happening. And that isn´t to cater to 25-50 people when they whine about being chained when they wanted easy kills.

And we all know from history how these kind of changes affects the game. then you can backtrack on the changes later while losing about part of the ever diminishing population and more complaints about not being able to find a battle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Capt Trashal Early said:

Just saying judging by the forums of late the combat models been pretty stable and acceptable. This rash change seems really ill thought out.

it necesarry becouse certain PvP-ers do not like when battle changes and they cannot run becouse they are constabtly chained

11 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

Naval action has been to casual for my taste lately. There is nothing hardcore about it. 

Because they are catering for both the carebears AND the PvP players.. Basically they are ensuring the carebears hardly ever experience PvP but when they do - the outcome is dictated beforehand in favour of the experienced PvP players.

2 minutes ago, Capt Trashal Early said:

Just saying judging by the forums of late the combat models been pretty stable and acceptable. This rash change seems really ill thought out.

Its not ill thought out. It's the devs thinking it's unfair that a good players sinks to 10 people chaining. Guess what. I lost my favorite trinco to that on Sunday. Still here arguing in favor of it because 1 ship SHOULD NOT be able to fight many. This is not hardcore. This is the opposite of hardcore. 

• Like 7