Player characters limitations vote.

902 members have voted

1. 1. How many characters

• 1 character per account
    • 3 characters as before
  2. 2. Neutrals

• Keep neutrals
    • Remove neutrals

While i get the reasons of limiting the amounts of chars to one it is also a very dangerous gamble. Works great it the game has okish numbers on all factions. But now picture you pick a nation that has almost no players, or they stop after some time. Given the slow progression players seem to want, you risk to run yourself in a corner. If i would have to delete my high level, well equipped char just because the nation i chose is (maybe even just temporarily) dead... Honestly, id rather stop the game.

There was already a feature proposed for that - defections. It will probably take time to develop, sure. However, if you open up the possibility of multi-characters now and try to restrict them later, there will be a huge outcry.

And during EA, there will be more people with the ability to pay only one copy. If in the family they are 2 members willing to play but only one character avalaible, they need to share, but what if one is more pve or trade oriented, and the other pvp oriented? they'll be destructing each other work of crafting, progression, etc.

How exactly? Person A contributes 3 hours a day to fighting, person B 2 hours to crafting. They would complement eachother brilliantly. 4 hour teleports and the amount of different ships you can have don't allow any "destryoing" in my mind.

Edited by Nathaniel

@ Nathaniel

Have you seen the amount of materials (especially iron) needed since yesterday update?

If person A wants to craft a ship and player B another ship, they will have to wait a loooot more than of they have a character per person.

Maybe you have a lot of time to play, or enough money to buy another game copy, that's good, but not everyone can.

And it will give a great advantage to people not sharing the labor hours for a better progression, that's not balanced.

Fuck one character per account.

I want to play pirate some day (if they ever stop being Jack Sparrow neckbeards), and I'm sure as hell not going to delete my national in order to do it.

I also worry that low population, dispersed nations like Spain and France are just going to get zerged out of existence, meaning that I'll have no one to play with in my timezone. I want to option to go play another nation for teamplay if that happens.

Of course, if we get multiple PvP servers, this problem goes away. One faction per server.

• Like 5

Would be nice to have 2, I have a family member who wants to play as

well and I'm not buying 2 copies of the game so both of us can play.

Justme - I thought I saw a response to this question in another thread about a Steam family sharing account that may solve this issue? Can't find it atm though.

Anyway - 1 character per acct for me - no neutrals for the reasons others have stated. I think a fair number of ppl will buy multiple copies which will help support the game. I mean ppl spend far more on the supposedly FTP MMOs!!

Here is the other thread - Steam friends and family system:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/8366-question-for-devs-regarding-character-account-limit/

Edited by DeRuyter

Steam family only allow another account to play games from your account, with only one character per account the problem remains the same, two players on the same characters, with differents goals or gameplay styles, shared pool of labor hours.

On the other side, one character per server would solve everything, no economy problem, no competition between two players with the same character, and the "buy another copy" people are listened to and can do it if they want to play on the same server, without avoiding those who can't afford it to play.

Fuck one character per account.

I want to play pirate some day (if they ever stop being Jack Sparrow neckbeards), and I'm sure as hell not going to delete my national in order to do it.

I also worry that low population, dispersed nations like Spain and France are just going to get zerged out of existence, meaning that I'll have no one to play with in my timezone. I want to option to go play another nation for teamplay if that happens.

Of course, if we get multiple PvP servers, this problem goes away. One faction per server.

Spain is small. but France is not small. They have more people than Dutch....

One game one character. Stop sailing that you want to have multi characters in one account because it is bad. If you play the game long enough, you can see people how abuse the system with multi characters....

Edited by Nashandra

There was already a feature proposed for that - defections. It will probably take time to develop, sure. However, if you open up the possibility of multi-characters now and try to restrict them later, there will be a huge outcry.

We have no idea if there will ever be defections.

Spain is small. but France is not small. They have more people than Dutch....

One game one character. Stop sailing that you want to have multi characters in one account because it is bad. If you play the game long enough, you can see people how abuse the system with multi characters....

Maturin has played the game plenty, so have I.  If you have read anything we have stated, PROTECTIONS can be built in so people cant abuse the system.

What game currently restricts 1 character per account?  SWTOR I can create several.  STO I can create several.  Eve I can create 3.  Mortal Online you can create 4 if I remember right.  Eve and Mortal Online have brutal warfare between other groups where you can lose a ton of stuff if you aren't careful.

This is kind of like saying you want to take a family member to a movie but only want to buy one ticket.

No, it is like buying a dvd, but be allowed only to watch it alone, and have to buy another dvd if someone else in your house want to watch the movie.

• Like 1

No, it is like buying a dvd, but be allowed only to watch it alone, and have to buy another dvd if someone else in your house want to watch the movie.

only for singleplayer games

Multiple chars destroy eco even they are only in one nation. Because you dont have to sail to all your outposts you can divide them between your chars and safe time through tps.

1char 1 acc = all fine

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 3

@ Nathaniel

Have you seen the amount of materials (especially iron) needed since yesterday update?

If person A wants to craft a ship and player B another ship, they will have to wait a loooot more than of they have a character per person.

Maybe you have a lot of time to play, or enough money to buy another game copy, that's good, but not everyone can.

And it will give a great advantage to people not sharing the labor hours for a better progression, that's not balanced.

But that's exactly the very definition of problems of multiple characters for crafting. With a system like this every crafter will be basically obliged to have an alt to keep up. If, however, crafting hours become shared (which would be the obvious thing to do if they keep multiple characters, your theoretical family members will still "harm" eachother even with two distinct characters.

• Like 2

@ Z4ys

Since NA isn't a singleplayer game, there is no reason to apply the rules of a singleplayer game, no?

I have read and agreed with that proposal: one character per server, like that there is no economy problem, since the two persons with the same copy of the game can't interact. And it allows for two persons within the same house to play.

Maturin has played the game plenty, so have I.  If you have read anything we have stated, PROTECTIONS can be built in so people cant abuse the system.

What game currently restricts 1 character per account?  SWTOR I can create several.  STO I can create several.  Eve I can create 3.  Mortal Online you can create 4 if I remember right.  Eve and Mortal Online have brutal warfare between other groups where you can lose a ton of stuff if you aren't careful.

@ Nathaniel

Have you tried crafting something since yesterday's update? with that huge amount of carriages to craft even for a small ship like a trader snow, it takes so much labor time that it is an incentive to create an alt.

Beside, if the two persons want to craft differents things for their own crafted ship, it will take them twice the time because if one uses all the labour hours in the morning to craft a part of his ship, the over will not be able to craft for his ship because he will not have enough labor hours. I have never mentioned the teleport and travels to get the components, since i don't want to be able to "cheat" with the econ, but only to be able to let my daughter play a game i payed for.

I can't understand that need to make people pay again at all cost just to ensure YOU have as much fun as possible, and not care if the others have less fun because of your point of view. Think about the 1 character per server, how can it "harm" you? it just needs another server up, i suppose it can be done.

@ Nathaniel

Have you tried crafting something since yesterday's update? with that huge amount of carriages to craft even for a small ship like a trader snow, it takes so much labor time that it is an incentive to create an alt.

Beside, if the two persons want to craft differents things for their own crafted ship, it will take them twice the time because if one uses all the labour hours in the morning to craft a part of his ship, the over will not be able to craft for his ship because he will not have enough labor hours. I have never mentioned the teleport and travels to get the components, since i don't want to be able to "cheat" with the econ, but only to be able to let my daughter play a game i payed for.

I can't understand that need to make people pay again at all cost just to ensure YOU have as much fun as possible, and not care if the others have less fun because of your point of view. Think about the 1 character per server, how can it "harm" you? it just needs another server up, i suppose it can be done.

Its not about 'making' you pay again, its about the fact that without very clear safeguards (such as sharing crafting hours, or one character per server), your view/proposal will very negatively affect both the economy (which affect everyone) and enjoyment of those who play with that as a focus. Thats a degree of entitlement I can't understand.

Edit: On re-reading my own post I apologise if that came over as too negative. The fact is that the games economy is very dependant on a real-time based resource (crafting labour hours), and any proposal that results in one account being able to accrue more than another will basically force a state of 'do it or get left behind' for those of us who want to be competitive in the economy. A very good comparison is EVE, where the 'real time resource' was skill points, and for the majority of the games lifetime, you could only accrue those on one character at a time, hence they were 'split' between the 3 characters you could have on an account.

The one character per server solution sidesteps this issue by basically eliminating cross-interaction between your potential characters, hence being competitive on one server does not require one to run multiple characters. Of course, it does mean that there actually has to be more than 1 server, which I'm not sure we've gotten the final word on yet (more than one PVP server that is).

Also as an addendum - As a crafter I very much welcome the increase in resource and time requirements for the ships as of the last patch, they were much too quick to churn out in my opinion. It also has the extra effect of diluting the fraction of build time/cost that crafting notes make up, hence indirectly making them more attractive even for smaller vessels.

Edited by Elouda
  • Like 2

@ Nathaniel

Well, if the crafting is too much a strain (which we don't know yet, it might be ok for bigger ships to be a multi person effort now, it might not) we should ask the devs to make crafting less hard, not make alts obligatory.

• Like 2

This is kind of like saying you want to take a family member to a movie but only want to buy one ticket.

No, not really.

So your saying that if you had 2 kids, you would buy them 2 of everything even if they could easily share one thing at different times?

So they like Console games, that 2 consoles and 2 copies of every game you purchase. I'm sure everyone in your home has their own seperate electric, water, cable phone bill as well correct? Everyone have their own mortgage/rent? Shall I continue?

My son and I both play WOT on console, have our own account . Same with other games that I actually paid for. By your logic I should buy everything twice.

Or if my family members didn't care, we could all play the same copy seeing our schedules are different and be on 20 hours a day and accomplish the same thing you guys are so afraid of.

Edited by Justme
  • Like 1

But WOT is free to play, if one of you buys gold with real money the other doesn't get to spend it, there is a difference.

As it stands you likely would be fine if one of you plays on pvp server and the other plays on pve server at least you would both get to play and you would actually help each other at least as far as exp goes.

WOT is one character per account, if the game was pay to play you would have had to buy 2 copies to both play.

But WOT is free to play, if one of you buys gold with real money the other doesn't get to spend it, there is a difference.

As it stands you likely would be fine if one of you plays on pvp server and the other plays on pve server at least you would both get to play and you would actually help each other at least as far as exp goes.

WOT is one character per account, if the game was pay to play you would have had to buy 2 copies to both play.

I have multiple accounts on SW battlefront, one for myself and my son. Make it so that only one account can be online at a time per purchase. Its nuts thinking that limiting it to one account per purchase won't be abused.

Remove Neutrals (For Economic reasons).

As for characters per account, I would go for 2 in the same Nation OR Pirate ! That would make pirates even more "chaotique". Could give them a little to much of an number advantage though.

Just a suggestion though. If it's 3 the way we had or 1, I'dd go for 1/ account.

And the point of that would be?

It would allow those with one account but several players, who dont want to share a character to have their own for each player, without having a negative impact on the economy or creating a rat-race of necessary crafting alts.

Edited by Elouda
  • Like 3