Player characters limitations vote.

902 members have voted

1. 1. How many characters

• 1 character per account
    • 3 characters as before
  2. 2. Neutrals

• Keep neutrals
    • Remove neutrals

Here's my opinion after reading many posts. I feel like it would be unfair to have someone's account locked to a single character for the entirety of their game. So how about the first thing we do is choose a nation - and that can remain locked (until the user wants a total account wipe, say) then within that we could have a number of different characters? That way it gives a single user the flexibility of having different playstyles while also having the potential for other family members to use those character slots instead, for those who couldn't afford to fork out the extra dosh for more accounts? Some of that does really depend on how you plan to support the development and operation of the game financially of course, but to me it seems like a fair compromise. Thoughts anyone?

• Like 2

It could mean both. Currently thr neutrala are devine traders and crafters, they go into neutral and nation ports to extract the resources they need.

This, coincedently, is the problem that most players have with the neutral faction ingame. There is no way of 'protecting' your resources.

This, related to the topic wr are in, is also part of the reason why people dont want 3 characters per users. It allows a spanish player to have either dutch or neutral character, to completely disrupt the dutch supply lines.

• Like 1

Here's my opinion after reading many posts. I feel like it would be unfair to have someone's account locked to a single character for the entirety of their game. So how about the first thing we do is choose a nation - and that can remain locked (until the user wants a total account wipe, say) then within that we could have a number of different characters? That way it gives a single user the flexibility of having different playstyles while also having the potential for other family members to use those character slots instead, for those who couldn't afford to fork out the extra dosh for more accounts? Some of that does really depend on how you plan to support the development and operation of the game financially of course, but to me it seems like a fair compromise. Thoughts anyone?

How do you propose to solve the problem of 2 crafting with the associated free hours, additional cheap outpost and market control options alts being obligatory to compete for any crafter?

Many good comments, sugestions and arguments.  Regrettably this looks like something to have been done formally a while back.  With early release, only a few days away, I recommend a one per account as the immediate solution and further discussion on a quarterly/semi annual time table to be presented to the devs from the total community.  Hopefully, this group will just be a knowledgeable and influential "minority" in six months.  It's always much easier to become less restrictive than more restrictive as time goes on. 

• Like 2

Many good comments, sugestions and arguments.  Regrettably this looks like something to have been done formally a while back.  With early release, only a few days away, I recommend a one per account as the immediate solution and further discussion on a quarterly/semi annual time table to be presented to the devs from the total community.  Hopefully, this group will just be a knowledgeable and influential "minority" in six months.  It's always much easier to become less restrictive than more restrictive as time goes on. 

Agreed. Initially one character per account is a good start. Better to start with one character and add more later on if so is decided, than to try to the opposite.

How do you propose to solve the problem of 2 crafting with the associated free hours, additional cheap outpost and market control options alts being obligatory to compete for any crafter?

Making crafting hours and outposts account-wide fixes this.

No one answered my question I raised before:

What mmorpg currently restricts you to 1 character per account?  None, or very few that I know of.  In OW rpgs the whole point is so you can have multiple characters if you wish.

What if I want a pvp fighter, a crafter/trader, or explorer or 3 out of these?  The huge size of OW means that you can not do everything, not even some things, but only one thing with one character per account.  You cannot be pvp fighter and an explorer or trader.  It will be hard if you want to pvp and craft and keep up with the current front lines.

If this is restricted, you can bet crafting and economy will barely be touched, because this game is primarily a pvp game, and if you force one account per character, than the pvp players will have a hard time being able to craft.

If I have several characters restricted to one nation, I can have my pvp character who follows the front lines.  I can also have my trader/crafter who I can use during pvp downtimes.  And then I can have an explorer for the 3rd character.

I don't understand why I must pay for 3 copies of the game ($120USD plus premium ships) to experience the full game.  I plan on buying a 2nd copy because I think Game Labs deserves me to give them another $40.  But screw having to buy a third copy just so I can have an explorer and possibly keep up with my mapping.

• 3 characters
  • 1 nation
  • do away with labor hours as I have suggested many times. 

Otherwise you will have to put a disclaimer on the steam page.

Warning, the $40USD you pay only unlocks fully 1/3rd of the game and only 1 character.  You can attempt to do all 3 areas, trading/crafting, exploring, pvp on one character, but it will be extremely difficult.  To experience the full game, you should buy 3 accounts.

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
Removed disrespectful language.
  • Like 1

Post from Barberouge (developper) in the French section:

Posted Today, 06:36 PM

Malheureusement au départ ce sera un personnage en tout, parce qu'il n'y avait pas assez de temps pour construire d'autres solutions. Par la suite il pourra y avoir d'autres options mises en œuvre (1 personnage sur le PvP et un sur le PvE, ou plusieurs personnages mais d'une même faction) - mais pas pour le lancement de l'accès anticipé.

And my translation (may be inaccurate, feel free to correct):

"Unfortunately, at start it will be one character only, because there was not enough time to build other solutions. Later, there could be other options set in place (1 character on PvP and one on PvE, or several characters but within a same faction) but not for the EA launch."

He after stated regarding the "other options" that "yes, it will be done in function of the feedback and demands. The  goal here is to limit the cross-team possibilities and impact of neutral characters on the economy. For launch, the simpliest solution has been choosen, but also the most restrictive in other aspects".

Edit: sorry for my english.

Edited by Anarcke
  • Like 1

Now also, if its like alpha, you will actually have 2 characters, you can do your mapping/crafting/exploring on the pve server all the while earning free exp from your pvp alter-ego on the pvp server.  You'll just be limited to having the same name and faction.

Actually how is it difficult?  just takes more time, you have to choose... on how you divide your time between the tasks like EVERY other game out there.  If you have time to swap character to craft, and then swap character to explore.. I don't see the difference...?

Edited by John Wilkes

Did you actually even read what I posted? I removed the ability for multiple characters to be able to affect anything. 1 restricted to 1 nation. 2 no affect on crafting. 3 no neutrals to affect trading.

Saying I must pay more just so I can have an explorer character on top of my pvp character is bs. I could care less how you take my attitude to be. Saying to experience the full game I have to buy 2 extra copies is dumb. Plus, if I pay for an extra character, I might as well make him another nation. So instead of discouraging playing as multiple nations, if you force people to pay for another copy to get another character, you only encourage it.

You might find my attitude terrible, but I find other people trying to force me to buy extra copies of the game to experience the different areas as terrible. It is none of your business how I play the game. And you have absolutely no say on how much I should pay.

And let's see, my elitist attitude has provided the first actual landmass map to people, a shipbuilding ledger, role play tutorials, defense of balanced pirate gameplay, defense of other game play options that I'm not interested in, defense of pve players, defense of the pve server and other stuff. If I was such an elitist pvp player, I would have done none of this but kept it all to myself. Nor should I help other players, especially new players in game. Guess I'm just a confused individual.

• Like 2

[i'm upset that] trying to force me to pay $120 to experience the game how I want to experience it. It still stands for anyone who wants to stick their nose into my pocket book or how I spend my time or gameplay.

I want 1 character for pvp, 1 for trading/crafting, and 1 for exploring. All tied to 1 nation, none able to exploit, as I have said and to easily keep their progress and locations separate

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
Removed confrontational language. Let's settle down and discuss this respectfully please.

Now also, if its like alpha, you will actually have 2 characters, you can do your mapping/crafting/exploring on the pve server all the while earning free exp from your pvp alter-ego on the pvp server. You'll just be limited to having the same name and faction.

Actually how is it difficult? just takes more time, you have to choose... on how you divide your time between the tasks like EVERY other game out there. If you have time to swap character to craft, and then swap character to explore.. I don't see the difference...?

The difference is it is easy and possible. With 1 character per account it is very hard.

to be honest I voted multiple characters... but its certainly not game breaking for me, I'm not going to throw a tantrum if it doesn't happen. I'd be happy if in the future we can buy more character slots.

I'm fine with a premium option to buy more slots as I have suggested (same nation, no labor hours). That is fine. But having to buy another copy of the game is not.

Again for the family option. One computer. One steam account. One copy of the game. All family members must share the same character?

I'm fine with a premium option to buy more slots as I have suggested (same nation, no labor hours). That is fine. But having to buy another copy of the game is not.

Again for the family option. One computer. One steam account. One copy of the game. All family members must share the same character?

Please see Barberouge's response (as quoted) above.  Multiple characters have been removed for EA only because more complex options can't be implemented in time for EA.  To prevent people from raging later by removing abilities from multiple characters, they'll be removed for now further features regarding multiple characters will be discussed and potentially implemented.  The suggestion above regarding requiring a single nation (all alts would have to go pirate if one did as well), shared labor pools and whatnot may be a good one to pursue.

Let's please simmer down and discuss this like reasonable adults.

• Like 3

imho, this whole discussion is moot. 

There will always be people trying to max out the system. Some people have a tom of time available, other people have a ton of money, some have both, others have neither.

If you have 1 char per account, some people will buy a second, or third account to maximize further.

If you have 3 chars per account, some people will use all three to maximize their crafting or gold-making. Some people will buy a second account so they can have 6 chars and maximize further.

If you have 6 chars per account... well, you catch my drift. 

In the end it's the people with less time and/or less money who suffer. Is this bad? Not per sé. You spend a ton of money on the game to get 2, 3, or more accounts, all players benefit. More money to the devs, more development on the game for all of us. 

If you give us all 3 chars per account, only the people with enough time on their hands will benefit, no one else. 

Either way, whatever system you choose, there will *always* be people trying to maximize it to their benefit.

Honestly, I can't understand why people can't see that if they want to be free to play as they want, they should let the others wich don't want to play the same way do it.

It gives me the impression that it is their game, and they are keepers of the purity of the game. The only thing that will happen if you have to pay for another character is start some kind of pay to win system, in wich the ones respecting the rules won't be able to compete, overall if they don't have money to spend. (i would happily pay for another copy of the game, just to support a little bit more the devs, but i just can't)

One thing i see, is that for now it is overall a small community of very passionate people, and i'm fine with it. But with EA coming soon, and at final release i hope there will be a lot more people, with a more casual gameplay, differents views, and those may even become the majority. I think more compromises from the hardcore gamers are needed, if not, i effectively think that the fact you can or can't do that or that is advised on the steam page of the game, wich in my opinion would be very negative.

• Like 1

I'm fine with that Henry, what I'm not fine with is Permantly not having the ability to create extra characters. And talk about being reasonable, anyone who claims that for 1 more character you must buy a new copy of the game is being unreasonable. Why should people have say on something that costs me money? Premium features I'm fine with. But a whole new copy? No. That is being unreasonable and people sticking their nose into where they shouldn't.