Player characters limitations vote.

902 members have voted

1. 1. How many characters

• 1 character per account
    • 3 characters as before
  2. 2. Neutrals

• Keep neutrals
    • Remove neutrals

When I started playing this game, i bought 3x copies of this game for my family, so they can play freely with me.

I don't see punishment in this.

And I had a problem "omg what should i buy them for their birthday" solved.

Which is nice.

We have to take into consideration the fact that some people won't have $120 right away to get 3 accounts. To deal with that make 1 week game release sale for those who already bought the game. So, for $19.99 you can get extra copy, this deal can last for 1 week and will return on seasonal occasion. 

• Like 1

We have to take into consideration the fact that some people won't have $120 right away to get 3 accounts. To deal with that make 1 week game release sale for those who already bought the game. So, for $19.99 you can get extra copy, this deal can last for 1 week and will return on seasonal occasion. 

I think for a short period a discounted price on extra copies is the best compromise but beyond that, extra copies must be purchased. 

The 1 account per copy eliminates so many undesirable elements within the game plus it helps this small developer earn extra and much needed revenue. A win win!

• Like 9

I think for a short period a discounted price on extra copies is the best compromise but beyond that, extra copies must be purchased. 

The 1 account per copy eliminates so many undesirable elements within the game plus it helps this small developer earn extra and much needed revenue. A win win!

Agree. You simply can't have free accounts. It will be the end of this game. 

• Like 5

But what's the problem? If you want to play simultaneously, you need several accounts anyway. If you want taking turns in playing, use your one character, you'll progress faster on the one hand, but you'll have enough ship slots and a 4h teleport to play in the region each of you wants with the ships she/he wants.

Although the thought of my disabled father in law running around in OW in my ships while on painkillers sounds fun, I think I'll let him sink his own.

As far as simultaneously, our schedules really don't allow it and have different nations we would like to play as.

So, if I ever want to create new characters, or say Young wants to do a new Let's Play Series as Younger Young, we have to purchase new copies of the game?

Maturin and others have good suggestions.  Either limit them all to 1 faction or limit it to you can only log on to 1 faction per day if they are different.

I've had 3 or so different US accounts in the past.  Sometimes I want to play as Nathan Steel, US Privateer who only sails Lynxes or Privateers and have separate ships, separate locations, separate hunting grounds as my main character, who is basically a USN character instead of a privateer.

• Like 3

I'm sick of neutrals of stealing all my resources...

On the accounts issue, I lean more towards having only one player for one account.  For me, multiple accounts are just too exploitable with the current crafting system.  Now, if the crafting system was real-time based (each ship and ship part takes actual time) rather than storing up crafting points to build something instantaneously, I would be more open to multiple characters, but only if they can only play as one faction. 

• Like 3

3 characters. 

1 log-in per faction per day.

Spying happened in real life, too.

Yes, but in real life, spies can be caught and hanged.

You can't even fire on a spy in this game without green on green resulting in you being banned.

Bad analogy is bad.

Unless there are mechanics in game that allow you to deal in game with spies, wouldn't want features actively making their job easier.

• Like 1

Yes, but in real life, spies can be caught and hanged.

You can't even fire on a spy in this game without green on green resulting in you being banned.

Bad analogy is bad.

Unless there are mechanics in game that allow you to deal in game with spies, wouldn't want features actively making their job easier.

Enemy spies can be usefull if you know what your doing.

You guys keep talking about spies but everyone ignores the easy suggestion of 1 NATION per account instead of 1 character. It would solve the spying issue, it would let people with family members share an account if they don't play at the same time of day and it would let roleplayers have different characters playing different roles.

Is there any downside to this? I don't see any.

• Like 5

You guys keep talking about spies but everyone ignores the easy suggestion of 1 NATION per account instead of 1 character. It would solve the spying issue, it would let people with family members share an account if they don't play at the same time of day and it would let roleplayers have different characters playing different roles.

Is there any downside to this? I don't see any.

Spies are only one issue. Being able to clear out thrice the amount of markets for ressources and using your alts for crafting are another. In addition to one nation limitation we should further need shared crafting hours AND shared outpost count/cost, then it would work.

• Like 4

Please vote in one of the most important votes before release.

Having several players per account gives good flexibility but could interfere in the conquest mechanics (spies, briefers etc). Removing neutrals can make capturing ports for resource control more meaningful

Remember that after Early access it will be extremely hard to take back features or remove flexibility. It will be much easier to add things back. 

I optimally would like to see it limited to One nation with 3x character slots and the option to have a neutral character or two in there as well.

Locking it to one character can limit one's ability, particularly if we bring in professions, ranks and crafting skills etc.

So make people with family members should pay 2-3 times or more the amount to play the same game?

Actually, yes they should.  If you both own your own copies of the game, you can actually play together as well.  I'm guessing in your case you only have one computer capable of playing the game, so that's not a selling point for you personally.  

As somebody who has spent years as an in game GM for several different games, I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've heard 'oh but my son/daughter/brother/etc was playing on my account' in cases of cheating/hacking/etc.  I'm not saying that you're saying "oh it's for my brother" isn't true, but that excuse will get used 24/7 by crossteamers, and you know it.  Buy two copies.  Support the devs.  

While i get the reasons of limiting the amounts of chars to one it is also a very dangerous gamble. Works great it the game has okish numbers on all factions. But now picture you pick a nation that has almost no players, or they stop after some time. Given the slow progression players seem to want, you risk to run yourself in a corner. If i would have to delete my high level, well equipped char just because the nation i chose is (maybe even just temporarily) dead... Honestly, id rather stop the game.

If we can have 2-3 different ones you can switch now and then, play a bit on a different nation if yours is dead. Lets be honest.. if you are really serious about "spying" you can just get a different account for that. Its not protecting you anyway.

I get that you can abuse neutrals, but i still think they add to the game, id like to see them kept. Maybe not neutral towns as they are now tho. Make all of those Free Towns (or add a few more) and let them use those maybe?

• Like 2

I think the best would be three characters but one faction neutral when they start, they will not be needed, and that could be implemented diplomatic relations between factions allied allowing players to buy and sell goods in allied ports. So we end up with several loopholes that currently exist.

Plz don't make only one character per copy of the game.

Limit the characters to one nation, no problem. As said before, making people buy more copys is not a way to go. To the people saying buy a copy, support the devs, i'll answer that personally i don't have a lot of money, and already supported the devs as much as i could by buying a copy before game release, and i just can't afford to pay another time just to allow my daughter to play. If you prefer to buy another copy because you can afford it, nothing prevents you from doing so.

And during EA, there will be more people with the ability to pay only one copy. If in the family they are 2 members willing to play but only one character avalaible, they need to share, but what if one is more pve or trade oriented, and the other pvp oriented? they'll be destructing each other work of crafting, progression, etc.

Also share the labour hours between characters is a bad idea to me. If one character/ player is keeping his hours to craft something, but the other character/ player needs to craft something to make money, it is going to be competition, and eventually they'll stop playing because they can't buy another copy, or continue sharing the account.

Make a realistic game yes, but plz not an elitist game.

• Like 1