Game-Labs Forum

Better Rudder Controls - Q and A with 6 or so rudder settings

At the moment the rudder controls in open world are very annoying which once again a optimised game will take care of after they are happy with everything they put in. I have been playing world of warships lately with friends...yuk I know... Its simple and unrealistic and boring grind... But i think q and e in wow for full rudder (or rudder increments) and holding down a and d for temporary changes would be better than what we have in naval action, the double tap rudder is too hard to use esp for noobs in the ow because of the input delay. Wow also has permanent rudder increments, 0%, 25%, 50% and 100% iirc that would also be controlled by q and e. It would be even better to be able to set increments yourself in a control scheme however so you can have as small as you like.

P.S. If this has been suggested before I apologise as I have no had time to search today.

• Like 3

Basically you almost allways want to turn asap, so i think this would not be necessary. And q ande are alrdy taken by the yards. and if you want to turn just slightly, then yard moovement should suffice.  With the yards you have really good control about your turningspeed. it just takes a while to learn and is part of the awesome thing that is called learning curve. This game actually has a pretty high skill cap and we still haven't reached it after literally thousands of battles. And that is a really good thing imo

• Like 2

I like that it has a high skill cap... but it is also realistic to set the rudder in place. Especially if you want to offset current wind and even hull position.

Personally I would use a combination of rudder and sails to turn. New tactics could be used even by the AI. Currently you basically have no choice but to smash the rudder full over.

Yard controls can be changed to whatever other keys suit.

Absolutely. I do not care about what keys exactly are assigned. I just know that full or no rudder feels horrible and has an effect on my over all strategy and ability to manoever. A lot of moves are not possible without a stable rudder increment.

When I had the rudder bug before it gave me a fully manual rudder and would stop anywhere I stopped it. I know it's not exactly what you are suggesting but I absolutely hated it. To me it sounded like a good idea until I witnessed it first hand.

I am using Voice Attack to verbally command my ship.  I have commands for "hard a starboard/port", "trim starboard/port", and "touch starboard/port".  I regularly use the first one for full rudder deflection during battle instances, but the latter two commands only are useful in the OW.  They are basically momentary deflections of rudder for minor course changes, with different durations of turn.  If there were keys for half rudder deflection, I would assign verbal commands to them, but would rarely (if ever) actually use those commands.  If I want a slow turn, I use full rudder deflection.  If I want a fast turn, I trim my sails to add additional force to the turn. 

I have always imagined it would be fun to have a joystick throttle that you could use to set rudder in any place you want for gradual turns. I would like the option to set rudder anywhere I want.

I was thinking Logitech steering wheel, since I have one :)

Use it as a helm.

Advanced rudder controls would be most useful with a 'Freeze Rudder' key.

Hold A until the rudder is at the desired angle, then tap D to make it maintain that position. Hitting either A or D would unlock it again.

well.. we had a bug in sea trials. I enforced it myself and got exactly what you say (other than te reset to zero position)

You wanna know what I found out?

Its no use at all. Its nice to play along but you mess up everything combined with your yards.

The momet you use the yards to initialise a smooth turn you dont need the rudder.

And vise versa.

The moment you try adjusting your yards to the rudder trim you have to adjust the rudder bit. And the procedre begins from the start.

My conclution was: resolve that bug and go along with tapping the rudder for the broadside and use the yards for the smooth turns.

Cause tapping is not an option in your proposal. Its darn annoying.

Bevore I had this experiment I was eagerly defending this proposal. Now I know better.

And its not only me. The initial tests were done with this kind of control and abandoned due to tester feedback.

(not sea trials and not even first official test invites. it was wayyy back in the beginnings)

Not sure I follow. If you are using your yards you have no reason to use incremental rudder (which would be 100% optional).

Incremental rudder is for making wide turns without losing speed. Yard controls achieve the opposite.

Yards are no good for smooth turns because you lose speed for no reason.

• Like 2

Smooth turn means nothing more than turning light. At least for me. No speed implied in my understanding.

The number one reason I wanted this kind of rudder is because I wanted to get an easier track on my enemy while shooting.

But it definately complicated the whole sailing combined with yards.

Did I do full, half,? etc.

And it was only my personal and some other's experience.

At the moment the rudder controls in open world are very annoying which once again a optimised game will take care of after they are happy with everything they put in. I have been playing world of warships lately with friends...yuk I know... Its simple and unrealistic and boring grind... But i think q and e in wow for full rudder (or rudder increments) and holding down a and d for temporary changes would be better than what we have in naval action, the double tap rudder is too hard to use esp for noobs in the ow because of the input delay. Wow also has permanent rudder increments, 0%, 25%, 50% and 100% iirc that would also be controlled by q and e. It would be even better to be able to set increments yourself in a control scheme however so you can have as small as you like.

P.S. If this has been suggested before I apologise as I have no had time to search today.

Aye, ye got my vote!

Some ships turn better at speed, and the bleed off speed to much when at full rudder. Arrr

• 5 months later...

I Agree,

Almost the same as Destraex suggested, but with degrees, with my own ship it works almost the same. 

And i have sailed with mechanical system's (conventional wooden wheel with chain connections to rudder) and currently mostly electro/hydrolic system's! 

Example:

• Rudder to midship is 0°
  • max ° in port to starboard depends on different ships & rudders (different ships have different rudders and max ° )
  • Let's say for these kind of vessels of that era, i think the max would be around 40° to 50° to port and starboard?

Rudder Control:

• Use 3 keyboard keys to control rudder, for this example i use A(port side), S(midship), D(starboard side) 
  • Hold A, D, to let it slide to preffered rudder angle in ° and let go, and it wil stay there (currently it wil automaticly slide back mid ship, very annoying imo).
  • Double tap A, D, to get max rudder output in ° (as is implimented in game right now).
  • press the S key to set rudder mid ship. 

And as for angle in ° with the rudder, put it in increments of 10° or maybe 5°.

So with one press of a keyboard key (whe have alot of them left on the keyboard) it wil set the rudder at a preffered angle in °.

a bit more advanced, but it works.

My own rudder control, display frome my current ship.

Bestand%2003-01-16%2011%2046%2023%20roer

Edited by Jacob van Heemskerck

I Agree,

Almost the same as Destraex suggested, but with degrees, with my own ship it works almost the same. 

And i have sailed with mechanical system's (conventional wooden wheel with chain connections to rudder) and currently mostly electro/hydrolic system's! 

Example:

• Rudder to midship is 0°
  • max ° in port to starboard depends on different ships & rudders (different ships have different rudders and max ° )
  • Let's say for these kind of vessels of that era, i think the max would be around 40° to 50° to port and starboard?

Rudder Control:

• Use 3 keyboard keys to control rudder, for this example i use A(port side), S(midship), D(starboard side) 
  • Hold A, D, to let it slide to preffered rudder angle in ° and let go, and it wil stay there (currently it wil automaticly slide back mid ship, very annoying imo).
  • Double tap A, D, to get max rudder output in ° (as is implimented in game right now).
  • press the S key to set rudder mid ship. 

And as for angle in ° with the rudder, put it in increments of 10° or maybe 5°.

So with one press of a keyboard key (whe have alot of them left on the keyboard) it wil set the rudder at a preffered angle in °.

a bit more advanced, but it works.

My own rudder control, display frome my current ship.

Bestand%2003-01-16%2011%2046%2023%20roer

We use S to furl our sails atm. So using S for rudder control's won't work. :)

Why not just leave A/D as they are and implement Shift + A/D as increments that can be unlocked by tapping either A or D without shift? I use a similar method in flight sims depending on how many blip and coolio switches I need to map.

• Like 2

As someone may have already said, the control for the rudder could function like that of the yards. Holding A or D wll turn the rudder in a desired angle, freezing where you have positioned it. You would then need another key to re-centre the ruder, similar to that of the yards when you put them back in to automatic.