Game-Labs Forum

Better Rudder Controls - Q and A with 6 or so rudder settings

We use S to furl our sails atm. So using S for rudder control's won't work. :)

Yes agree, but you can rebind them to other keys. and i'm only using them as an example. you can use they arrow keys?

Why not just leave A/D as they are and implement Shift + A/D as increments that can be unlocked by tapping either A or D without shift? I use a similar method in flight sims depending on how many blip and coolio switches I need to map.

very good point, sir! multiple keys are a very good option indeed! 

Yes agree, but you can rebind them to other keys. and i'm only using them as an example. you can use they arrow keys?

I can't reach the arrows keys when i'm using WASD setup. Atleast it isn't very practical. 

- I'm not against the suggestion, i just wanted to point out that S is already in use. :)

When we had the rudder bug we had what is requested.  It did not work.  It might work for a modern vessel with modern artillery and firecontrol, but it wont for a vessel that relies upon broadside of cannons.  All the people clamoring for this are people who have not experienced it.

When we had the rudder bug we had what is requested. It did not work.

All the people clamoring for this are people who have not experienced it.

Agree, i did not experienced this, i am the from the latest batch of players that came into the Naval Action! And the developers ask me if i could give some usefull feedback to the game, and here i am making a suggestion/constructive feedback to change the rudder, i am not demanding it, and i am not clamoring about it and i'm not not bashing it!

It might work for a modern vessel with modern artillery and firecontrol, but it wont for a vessel that relies upon broadside of cannons.

at the Age of Sail and modern day i am sure that the man at helm/wheel (first mate i'm guessing) would recieve orders to head a certain ° on the compas for a heading and had to have a fixed position/degree of angle on the rudder for a short period of time (depends on the rate of turn) there is nothing modern about that? In fact the mechanic that Naval Action uses now is similar to a time dependent rudder, only on my ship it stays at a fixed position in ° after i moved/pressed my time dependent rudder control for a couple of seconds to port or starboard, Naval Action it wil go automatically to back to 0° mid ship's (and this is a very modern rudder control mechanic).

Basicly all i'm suggesting is a way to get a fixed rudder position and a key to center your rudder, something like JJWolf suggested?

Why not just leave A/D as they are and implement Shift + A/D as increments that can be unlocked by tapping either A or D without shift?

but if it doesn't work with current game mechanics then it's the way it is

Edited by Jacob van Heemskerck