Game-Labs Forum

Alpha-9 News Update

Nick Thomadis

Got onto the war thunder dev server. Don't get your hopes up. BBs are top tier, just as unreachable as everything else. You have to research every ship in the tech tree to get to the new BB's. Same ol' Gaijin, putting everything new at top tier. 

Edited by Skyguy1944

34 minutes ago, Skyguy1944 said:

Got onto the war thunder dev server. Don't get your hopes up. BBs are top tier, just as unreachable as everything else. You have to research every ship in the tech tree to get to the new BB's. Same ol' Gaijin, putting everything new at top tier. 

they're.... they're battleships man, they wont put them at low tier to just roffle stump the low tier destroyers and gun boats. Honestly I am really happy with how the tech tree is, the XP is pretty normal for top tier 360k easily grind-able in a few days, I am very much looking forward to grinding them as soon as they are released.

5 minutes ago, Bluishdoor76 said:

they're.... they're battleships man, they wont put them at low tier to just roffle stump the low tier destroyers and gun boats. Honestly I am really happy with how the tech tree is, the XP is pretty normal for top tier 360k easily grind-able in a few days, I am very much looking forward to grinding them as soon as they are released.

idk man. I came from wows where you can play bbs at the onset, better matched against the competition, and still have fun along with the grind. The war thunder grind ain't fun, but darn it they have awesome graphics and a butt-ton of machines.

6 minutes ago, Skyguy1944 said:

idk man. I came from wows where you can play bbs at the onset, better matched against the competition, and still have fun along with the grind. The war thunder grind ain't fun, but darn it they have awesome graphics and a butt-ton of machines.

Well in WoWS a destroyer can tank hits from any ship class, mean while in WT they can get killed by a single well placed salvo from another destroyer, and destroyers will have basically no chance at killing BB 1 on 1 because unlike the bs from WoWS, HE spam will do little to nothing to the BB aside from fires. DDs are already pretty much out classed by cruisers in WT as they were in real life. But DDs have many other things to do in WT, and are the only capital ship that can safely approach the island covered sections of the maps.

Edited by Bluishdoor76

29 minutes ago, Bluishdoor76 said:

Also unlike in WoWS, secondaries in Cruisers and BBs act exactly the same as they would if they were main batteries on destroyers, so each of the new BBs has a small cruiser strap to each side of its hull with how many secondary batteries they have.

For sure, I'm not arguing against where they're placed gameplay-wise, just wish it didn't take a bejeesen long time to play the lowest battleships, if they add more from here. Like many, I can't put in the dedicated hours upon hours and tons of money in premium time to grind in any decent time. I mean, to get to the USS North Dakota, it's 1,253,200 RP and 1,760,600 SL. You make about 1200 RP in an average game (or at least I ever have in ground forces), and those games can take upwards of 15 minutes apiece. It's just too much to do for free.

edit: I'm aware there are probably beefier grinds to tanks or jets, but those aren't WWI era dreadnaughts.

Edited by Skyguy1944
clarification

2 minutes ago, Skyguy1944 said:

For sure, I'm not arguing against where they're placed gameplay-wise, just wish it didn't take a bejeesen long time to play the lowest battleships, if they add more from here. Like many, I can't put in the dedicated hours upon hours and tons of money in premium time to grind in any decent time. I mean, to get to the USS North Dakota, it's 1,253,200 RP and 1,760,600 SL. You make about 1200 RP in an average game (or at least I ever have in ground forces), and those games can take upwards of 15 minutes apiece. It's just too much to do for free.

edit: I'm aware there are probably beefier grinds to tanks or jets, but those aren't WWI era dreadnaughts.

Depends on which battle type you select, for RB you can earn 2k-4k rp per game also depending on your performance. Of course if you are at the bottom half of the team you wont earn that much xp, 1k at most. On defeats in RB if you manage to make it to top 3 you can still earn about 2.5k rp.

Of course you have to get the other vehicles on the tree, even the ones that dont lead directly to the ship you want. So yeah the grind is pretty hefty, but after playing both for a fairly considerable amount, I honestly think WT's grinds arent that much worse compared to WoWS's and WoT's grinds. Also yeah compared to the Jets or MBT grinds, the Battleships are no where near as bad, I say give it a try and get to them as soon as possible if you do find enjoyment at all, since the longer you wait, the more ships will be added in between the start of the grind and the battleships.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bluishdoor76 said:

Depends on which battle type you select, for RB you can earn 2k-4k rp per game also depending on your performance. Of course if you are at the bottom half of the team you wont earn that much xp, 1k at most. On defeats in RB if you manage to make it to top 3 you can still earn about 2.5k rp.

Of course you have to get the other vehicles on the tree, even the ones that dont lead directly to the ship you want. So yeah the grind is pretty hefty, but after playing both for a fairly considerable amount, I honestly think WT's grinds arent that much worse compared to WoWS's and WoT's grinds. Also yeah compared to the Jets or MBT grinds, the Battleships are no where near as bad, I say give it a try and get to them as soon as possible if you do find enjoyment at all, since the longer you wait, the more ships will be added in between the start of the grind and the battleships.

Haven’t touched WT for ages but if they bring historical DERFFLINGERs (not that fantasy shite WG slaps on these things such as fantasy bows and that crap) I will be back for WT!

• Like 1

I would like to share my interpretation of the Nick's words and ask what you all think about it.

On 10/16/2020 at 5:24 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

The team’s reorganization is working great and we are very happy with the results. These last 2 months we have touched upon all major aspects of the game with the new lead programmer (from formations to AI to ship designer) - and finally we can say - now the new team is more than ready to continue with the development of the campaign. We plan to add extra resources in November, which will help us to speed up the development even further.

From this article I assume that Alpha-9 will be the last non-campaing update. Nick said that they touched all major aspects of the game. I think that it means that with the release of the Alpha-9 Devs will be (at least for now) satisfied with the status of all currently implemented parts of the game and now they will fully contentrate on the campaing features (which is supported by this part of quote: and finally we can say - now the new team is more than ready to continue with the development of the campaign).

So I think that the next update will include campaing.                                                                                                                    I also find it symbolic (Alpha-10 - the first version of the campaing).

So what do you think, lads?

BTW Yesterday it was exactly one year since I bought this game. Since then I am impatiently waiting for the campaing so I really wish I am right with my prediction.

Edited by Aceituna
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Aceituna said:

I would like to share my interpretation of the Nick's words and ask what you all think about it.

From this article I assume that Alpha-9 will be the last non-campaing update. Nick said that they touched all major aspects of the game. I think that it means that with the release of the Alpha-9 Devs will be (at least for now) satisfied with the status of all currently implemented parts of the game and now they will fully contentrate on the campaing features (which is supported by this part of quote: and finally we can say - now the new team is more than ready to continue with the development of the campaign).

So I think (and wish) that the next update will include campaing.                                                                       I also find it symbolic (Alpha-10 - the first version of the campaing).

It would certainly explain the time Alpha-9 is taking. That's a good thing. If they are including some more fundamental changes hinted in previous months, such as reworked armour/damage model and ship designer improvements... fingers crossed there'll be a fundamentally solid game engine on which to build the campaign.

It also makes sense because if the engine and ship designer can be largely baked at alpha-9 (with the expected hotfix a couple weeks later), it makes campaign balance a hell of a lot easier to fine-tune on its own.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SonicB said:

It would certainly explain the time Alpha-9 is taking. That's a good thing. If they are including some more fundamental changes hinted in previous months, such as reworked armour/damage model and ship designer improvements... fingers crossed there'll be a fundamentally solid game engine on which to build the campaign.

It also makes sense because if the engine and ship designer can be largely baked at alpha-9 (with the expected hotfix a couple weeks later), it makes campaign balance a hell of a lot easier to fine-tune on its own.

I personally think that Alpha-9 will have much more then the Devs said to ,you know keep it a secret and surprise us with it judging by how long it's taking. But I can be completely wrong about that. But hopefully I'm not.

Edited by CapnAvont1015
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aceituna said:

So I think that the next update will include campaing.                                                                                                                    I also find it symbolic (Alpha-10 - the first version of the campaing).

BTW Yesterday it was exactly one year since I bought this game. Since then I am impatiently waiting for the campaing so I really wish I am right with my prediction.

Interpreting the future from something that’s 2 months old is a ‘great task’ indeed!

The only thing I’m going to predicted for this update when it comes out, is that the game mechanics are going to be set in concrete, there aren't going to any changes thereafter, including damage model etc, Dev's will run with what they have. 

Edited by Skeksis

3 hours ago, Aceituna said:

These last 2 months we have touched upon all major aspects of the game with the new lead programmer (from formations to AI to ship designer)

I did not read the comment about the lead programmer as to be they are "happy" with all the aspects. Rather they have covered all the aspects with the new lead programmer (i.e. he's not familiar with the work they already have, so had to be brought up to speed). 

So with that said, things are not set in stone yet. When they announce we have moved to Beta stage, then things are much firmer in implementation. Right now a lot of problems with the game mechanics are not evident without the campaign. So they would have to keep things "open to change" until well after the campaign is added. 

2 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

There notes was a summary of 2 months, I assume the past tense.

Yeah it's summary of the past two months of work but the summary itself is three weeks old. So I was interpreting something that is three weeks old not two months old.