Game-Labs Forum

RoE - Battle Rating - Need Clarification

Coming from this thread

I believe we require some clarification.

If a fully crewed surprise attacks a half crewed surprise - in battle it will display as 120 vs 120 BR. Whereas in the Open World it will show as 120 vs 60 BR. The battle therefore is open and free to join for 20 minutes for anything on the weaker side.

• Is there any way we can check our Battle Rating when the ship is being undercrewed?
  • Does this apply for Port Battles?
    • If Someone undercrews L'Océan at 75% of the crew - will it count as 75% of the Battle rating (75% of 900 = 675) and therefore allow for more ships to enter the PB?
  • Is the % undercrewed linear to Battle Rating? or is there an exponential curve?
  • Like 6

I feel this needs a lot of clarification - I understand the desire to make things "fair" for younger players so they can get help, however I also see as an experienced player how I can use this as an exploit because frankly at a moments notice I can just decrease me crew a bit so my buddies have time to leave port and get to my battle.

19 minutes ago, Liq said:

Does this apply for Port Battles?

• If Someone undercrews L'Océan at 75% of the crew - will it count as 75% of the Battle rating (75% of 900 = 675) and therefore allow for more ships to enter the PB?

This is the mantua portbattle. Its a 10600 Port

3 oceans were undercrewed

grafik.thumb.png.f1e674f67db90bc1d42e1557d2ce9dc6.png

Edited by z4ys

3 minutes ago, z4ys said:

This is the mantua portbattle. Its a 10600 Port

3 oceans were undercrewed

[image]

Intersting so it does apply.

Assuming they were undercrewing 900/1100. Which is 82% of the Crew.

82% of 900 BR = 738 BR.

900 BR - 738 BR = 162 BR saved per ship.

162 BR * 3 = 486 BR saved total

According to your screenshot you were 1100 BR over though.

What am I missing?

2 minutes ago, z4ys said:

BR in battle is not changed when undercrewed

ugh ok yeah

but then if I want to get the actual BR of the fleet in the TAB board. That would be the displayed 11'100 minus the saved BR = 486 (see calculation above) which is 10'614 BR - which is still too high for the port

Im getting confused

3 minutes ago, Liq said:

ugh ok yeah

but then if I want to get the actual BR of the fleet in the TAB board. That would be the displayed 11'100 minus the saved BR = 486 (see calculation above) which is 10'614 BR - which is still too high for the port

Im getting confused

Is the Wasa not undercrewed as well? or someone forgot to replenish crew in port :D

We only noticed because a screener told us that he is still able to join the pb eventhough in the battle it was displayed that we had 10600BR. So a requin joined and a Wasa.

Edited by z4ys

8 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Is the Wasa not undercrewed as well? or someone forgot to replenish crew in port :D

Wasa rank is Kapitän zur See = 500 Crew

Wasa default crew 550.

500 / 550 = 91%

91% * 400 BR = 364 BR --> 36 BR saved

36 + 486 (see above) = 522 BR saved

11'100 BR - 522 BR = 10'578 BR

Plus some might have forgotten to replenish crew.

Interesting, so this does work.

Would be interesting to now know the exact calculation method - if it's actually linear or if there is some sort of a drop off

Edited by Liq

4 hours ago, Liq said:

Wasa rank is Kapitän zur See = 500 Crew

Wasa default crew 550.

500 / 550 = 91%

91% * 400 BR = 364 BR --> 36 BR saved

36 + 486 (see above) = 522 BR saved

11'100 BR - 522 BR = 10'578 BR

Plus some might have forgotten to replenish crew.

Interesting, so this does work.

Would be interesting to now know the exact calculation method - if it's actually linear or if there is some sort of a drop off

To further add confusion...you could PREVIOUSLY - purposefully have lower crew even if you are a higher rank to get a BR reduction.

I'm not sure if that got fixed or changed.

So you could sail undercrew to reduce your overall fleet BR. But once in battle can you rep your crew to the ship's maximum boarding capacity ? or is it capped to the crew you got at the start ?  

And I guess that even if you can rep full crew inside the battle, the BR won't change.   Sounds like a potential exploit.

4 minutes ago, Cpt Eole said:

So you could sail undercrew to reduce your overall fleet BR. But once in battle can you rep your crew to the ship's maximum boarding capacity ? or is it capped to the crew you got at the start ?  

And I guess that even if you can rep full crew inside the battle, the BR won't change.   Sounds like a potential exploit.

No. If you enter battle undercrewed, then you can repair crew only to the initial crew amount.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Malcolm3 said:

No. If you enter battle undercrewed, then you can repair crew only to the initial crew amount.

Even if you have more crew available because of your rank and you could fullfill it outside the battle in OW ?

For example I'm Admiral, i have 1.500 crew available but sail an ocean only 90% crew, i.e 990 crew. Still have 510 crew available.

5 minutes ago, Cpt Eole said:

Even if you have more crew available because of your rank and you could fullfill it outside the battle in OW ?

For example I'm Admiral, i have 1.500 crew available but sail an ocean only 90% crew, i.e 990 crew. Still have 510 crew available.

You can only repair in battle up to the amount of crew you entered the battle with (so if you entered at 90% crew, you will only ever have 90% crew max until you exit the battle). 

You can add crew (up to the max crew for the ship, provided you have enough in reserve) in open world via the fleet window. 

• Like 2

just throwing in another bone, but its just a thought. 

what about the gun damage output  pm of the entire fleet. ? 

also a variable that you need to take in account (for example the kind of used guns like poods or long guns on a ship , or the use of longs or carro on upper decks)

there are a lot of more  parameters to look and calculate BR  : we only do crew and a overall br for ships , but even different output gun damage pm (and) can make a difference on the outcome of a battle and should be in account too i believe.

it is just not as easy as we think..

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

If you use the gun damage pm, ships with carronades will have higher BR than navy guns.

The gun choice is almost only a matter of playstyle and should not be use to calculate BR i think. Same as the choice of wood which also depends on playstyle.

If added later, the crew experience could modulate the BR.

@admin maybe its about time we get dynamic BR tied to live state of the ship, in the same way as we have the BR tied to rank/crew? Think it would be a really cool addition if you would lower the armament of a few ships to squeeze in an extra lineship for a portbattle. It would also justify the great damage the 32pd carronades does vs shallow ship that has 6pd longs (literally no point to use them over carronades btw because of the angling and low damage output)

14 minutes ago, Cpt Eole said:

If you use the gun damage pm, ships with carronades will have higher BR than navy guns.

The gun choice is almost only a matter of playstyle and should not be use to calculate BR i think. Same as the choice of wood which also depends on playstyle.

If added later, the crew experience could modulate the BR.

I personally think that Guns, Upgrades, Ship Knowledge and Crew should play a role of the BR of the ship. I agree with you with the woods shouldnt play a role, because a fir fir ship may be equally good/bad then a lo wo ship but its determined by the situation. But there should be a reason to choose say 18pd carronades instead of 32pd carronades, as its now the crew needed for them are fairly equal 5 v 7 crew, a usual 6th rate has like 9 cannons on one side so its not more then ~18 crew difference, which is really a small difference considering you dont need alot of crew to manouver the sails. And of course upgrades for 200 doubloons compared to 10CM  should have a difference in BR and a reason to use them. There should be pros and cons to everything in the game, which makes it healthy and encourages to not only use a few particular items out of houndreds

• Like 1

But..But

you.. started all of this ?

are we not allowed to  speak about things what might concern BR in general , and is just another bone to BR rating... in other perspectives 

you must understand that something good comes out of this kind of discussions by accident mostly...!

and that`s what i like...

but let us go on topic .....

Mmmm i guess WE have nothing to say anymore .

Thonys this thread is about crew affecting BR. Not equipment affecting BR. For the sake of overview please keep it at that

You are free to make a thread about upgrades etc. Affecting BR. Wouldnt want discussion about crew affecting it in there either

9 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Frankly, i'd like to know what a player's BR is before I tag.  It's a minor annoyance to tag someone who's BR should be 120, only to see he is under crewed and now I don't know if the BR is low enough to have others join on his side.

you would need a better spyglass with thermal vision to do that ;) so you can count the crew on the ship you're facing.