Game-Labs Forum

Modify the names over the ships ?

All the "beautiful pictures" of Open World so far don't have them when they include ships. I hope they stay gone when others are involved.

In real life you would call a target ship not the name of the commander of a ship.

Please no names in game or give us the options.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Therefore if you are careful, you should be able to identify specific targets, however it would require you looking through spyglass on a small writing, which in the heat of the battle would be difficult.....

If the name of the ship is writen on the rear castle as in real life then we could identify it with our spyglass ?

It would be cool to be able to modify the name of our ship

The latest "twist" in tactics is relying on these names to gang up on and knock out the "supposed" best players first.

Ramjbjb - instant target

Sidestrafe - instant target

Anyone on the leader board = big target

+1

Showing the names of unknown ships could be skill based. If you have a good crew skill, that might help you gain more information earlier on an unknown/opposing ship. But at the most it is my opinion it should never show more than ships name and class. If your skill is low you'd only be able to see the ships class. Identifying the name of the ship might only be possible for lower skilled crews from the back where the name clearly shows. Also if you've encountered the ship before you would be able to identify it earlier since recognition would probably have been a part of identifying ships back in the day.

The following should cover a few issues that are of concern.

-Range

-Color blindness

-Fleet actions

-Screen shots

A max range identifier through spy glass Identifies friend or foe.(Draws you in to assess) 

-Green circle for friend if flying a nations flag (Fly true or false colors) 

-Red triangle for foe if flying a nations flag (Fly true or false colors) 

-Yellow square for non aligned if not flying a nations flag. (Fly true or false colors) 

A shorter max range identifier for ships name.  

-Friend name in green (Helpful identifier for pvp fleet engagements)

-Foe name in red (If you have engaged in action or hail in the past)

-Non aligned name in yellow (If you have engaged in action or hail in the past)

*Ships name replaced by captains name if ships hail is returned.

*Identifier show hide toggle for those that want to take pretty pictures. 

I also feel that having a name floating above the ships seriously breaks the immersion. I don't necessarily want to know the screen name of a ship's captain. I do like the idea of identifying the ship and some of it's stats using the spyglass once it's at a certain range (something like Age of Pirates maybe?).

• Like 1

I would prefer a customizable setting(in the settings menu) that I can change what clutter I don't want to see on screen(most games have these options). Right now I want to be able to remove nametags(biggest immersion killer at the moment) and the wind indicator and the battle map(I like to use my eyes to get awareness of ships positions) all of wich I don't need, but I want to keep the compass, and gun controls and damage stats. So ctrl-H doesnt work for me(would be more useful if the gun controls actually worked in this mode), only use it when I don't need paying attention, like when fleeing a battle:p

Allies names should be visible. Often you need to give orders to a specific ship, therefore having no names whatsoever would make it very confusing. In case of enemy ships, having a red bar or no name is great, however the most I would like to have a small flag on top of one of the masts with your name.

Therefore if you are careful, you should be able to identify specific targets, however it would require you looking through spyglass on a small writing, which in the heat of the battle would be difficult.....

I don't want any names visible, but something more immersive to replace that, like the possibility to name our ships, and the names would be on the back of the ship for identification. Then the spyglass would get more use, it would be excellent to identify my fellow captains and my foes this way in the heat off battle, it would add more stuff to do during batlles too.

Imagine if some guy gets really infamous in the open world and he's ship name would be on everyones lips, imagine the fear, when in battle you suddenly see that name on the back of the ship in your spyglass, I would shit my pants lol

Edited by kaboki
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No names seems good, but identifying ships in the middle of a battle needs some assist i feel, in real life you have hundreds of eyes looking all directions, officers and mates keeping tabs on situations and passing up information, losing sight of you target is unlikely when you have that many people under your command. I would say once within a certain distance identification should be made easier as this would help reflect the amount of info a captain can get from a good crew. In game we have only one set of eyes that must be every where and this is where some assit. for information should imo. offer something to qualify enemy and foe. Something needs to replace the eyes of the officers and crew.

Friendly fire will be with or without floating names. I commited two flagrant cases...... XDD

For represent the hundred of eyes, a great red flashing cross in screen will be necesary when you point to allied ship. Maybe deactivate the fire button too... 

I prefer no names, no indications and put the responsability for that in the player. And that will bring a lot of LOL situations XDD

Edited by Siegfried

• 3 weeks later...

This has to be a personal option for how much information you yourself wish to see.

Identifying famous or infamous character names is part of the fun, you should choose if you want to see them or not on screen. If you are deemed a 'favourite' target, then make use of that to draw your enemy into making tactical errors.

There may be Ruse de Guerre available that would hide your true identity and even Nationality until you approach to very close range or open fire.

• 1 month later...

I am against removal of tags unless we are willing to have officers recognisable on deck and the names of ships on the rear and signals of the day introduced as well as unique ship markings and study recognition books.

I concur. Ship names especially. (Most Captains would only be identifiable when you're well within cannon range).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think some of you have fully thought out the consequences of removing player names.  People will go into battle thinking it is AI to farm.  This will cause unintentional ganking, because I doubt a lot of players are going to stop shooting after they have already spent so much time setting up the encounter.  And those players will just be able to throw their hands up innocently and say 'we didn't know we were ganking, there were no names'.

The only thing I can think of to do this would be to bring back the Spyglass in OW and require you to hold it over an unidentified ship for 10 seconds to identify the ship, then another 10 seconds to get the player's name.

My current thinking is that in OW when you click on a sail it should show you the nationality and type of ship ONLY, then if you additionally click on "Hail" it shows you the Captains Name if the ship is within 1000 meters or so. This would simulate the recognition available at the time IRL.

In a battle instance I am now ambivalent, you need some kind of friend or foe marker - it just doesn't HAVE to be in 10 foot tall red letters does it?

In a battle instance I am now ambivalent, you need some kind of friend or foe marker - it just doesn't HAVE to be in 10 foot tall red letters does it?

It's called spyglass + flag check.  I have to use that tactic all the time in trafs as you have a cluster of ships all grouped up and many of the names overlap where you can't rely on the overhead name.

Edited by Booyaah

Hopefully there will be distinct features of the ships as well, i mean different nations had different looking ships (more or less) as well so it's not just the flag they fly! I can see this become very exiting since we can also capture ships! ;)

• 5 months later...

If names are to be anywhere then maybe (if possible) have it so that the names are coded to display on the Stern of the ship. That way you can still tell which player is which in battle but only if you see there stern.