Game-Labs Forum

Modify the names over the ships ?

The very 1st post in this thread I discussed how the name is used in "choosing" targets - or targeting, use in "range finding" was brought in by others.

IRL you would never see SCL, Crankey or Illusive Tabby in red over an opponent and you would never see a name in green over a friend.

The latest "twist" in tactics is relying on these names to gang up on and knock out the "supposed" best players first.

Ramjbjb - instant target

Sidestrafe - instant target

Anyone on the leader board = big target

Etc, etc, etc.

Turn them off - turn them off - turn them off - or allow us to change them for one game (the ruse de guerre)??????

More realistic = more fun

------

Vote YES if you like the names over the ships as is.

Vote NO if you want them deleted or modified.

Filibuster added the poll - not me

The very 1st post in this thread I discussed how the name is used in "choosing" targets - or targeting, use in "range finding" was brought in by others.

If you're going to change them as a ruse de guerre, it should go away the first moment you fire.  You wouldn't want to be a pirate now would you?    :D

• Like 1

As I think has been stated, I feel it is important to keep your friendly names visible so that a commander can issue quick and meaningful orders when necessary without having to glass about his fleet to locate someone, or issue vague directions and hope the recipient is able to figure out the order was meant for them. This can be range limited to keep your screen from cluttering up, but having an identifier for friendlies is essential to a coordinated effort.

This is one of those areas where realism needs to strike a balance with gameplay. My personal opinion is to keep players from being target by name, which I feel is a fair complaint, then add in the constructor the ability to name your ship, and have that name float over your ship instead. I am in favor of seeing this over your enemies so you can call targets,  but you can either shorten the range at which it appears, or make it disappear when you are in targeting mode so that it does not aid with aiming your guns.

the names don't help me in targeting. Why? Because where you target is relative to target distance. The name height is no different than the ship size in relation to targeting. When you snipe, you zoom in to see on the ship where your rounds are going, you don't zoom in the the name or simply raise the red bar over someones name and fire. I have not seen anywhere, chat, forum, or videos where the name is used for targeting.

To Admin: You have to remember sir, most of these people will push for what they want and use any means for justifying it. So, as you certainly must know by now, you can disregard about 75% of what people poll and request for on the forums. Actual game footage and game re-plays are 100 times more valuable than forum requests.

So, I would request an actually game play video proving that names are used in targeting before giving any merit whatsoever to this entire thread. Ask for proof, and peoples conjecture and requests die a quick death.

We're all talking about labels and targeting, obviously, because we do find them useful.

The labels appear at a fixed distance, which tells you that shots at the hull are becoming feasible. And any time the aimpoint is above the masthead, the label is massively helpful for replicating shots. If it wasn't there, it would be much harder to walk shots onto a target. Your brain just can't remember the location of a single pixel in a clear blue sky.

You can still shoot people way beyond the distance that the names pop up. I do it all the time. So, no, your wrong. Shots are feasible long before the names show up. And no, the name is not helpful for replicating shots. Like I said, show me the video where you are actually hitting the target only by using the name as an aiming point. Why will I see no video of this? Because the only way to truly walk your shots to target is to single shot with zoom and actually see where the rounds are falling.

So, no, don't try to argue that you think that you are right. Actually bother to prove your claim with evidence.  

Everything on the ship can be used as a point of reference when adjusting gun elevation between ranging shots. Those points of reference are required due to the roll of your ship's hull between shots which forces you to change your ordnance's deck elevation to account for changing absolute elevation. Name labels appear at a fixed height above the ship's hull, making them more reliable than masts and sails as reference points because they don't change angle as the hull rolls.  That makes them the most consistent point of reference off which to range your shots. It's really very simple.

the names don't help me in targeting.

If you're not able to utilize them them that's you're problem. They are a good point of reference for firing at ships where the range is varying insignificantly.

To Admin: You have to remember sir, most of these people will push for what they want and use any means for justifying it.

Speak for yourself. That the majority of the voters want it is justification enough not to mention that several valid reasons have been presented for their removal throughout the previous 10 pages of discussion.

Not only are you attempting to undermine the whole forum and validity of player feedback but it's a little partronising of you to tell the admin how to use the information they gather here too.

A little more decorum next time perhaps, sir ;)

well think openworld... you cant have nameless ships sailing around,, how should you hunt pirates or other KoS targets...  if it is a openworld / mmo you need the captain name over it, or like in WT/WOT class ship type..  its only up for debate now because we only have pvp battle module,  its only a alpha and train peps to sail proberly.. no need to remove names.. 

• Like 1

well think openworld... you cant have nameless ships sailing around,, how should you hunt pirates or other KoS targets...

Why not? Ships never used to sail around with big banners over their heads and pirates were hunted to near extinction in a few decades.. If they are left in I doubt solely being a pirate would ever work. People would see you on the horizon and run, you wouldn't ever get close to a merchantman without having to chase him for 30 minutes first..

You think Sir Francis Drake would of captured the Cacafuego if he had a giant banner with his name over his head?

gallery_8243_89_8999.jpg

Ship's master: "Oh, mi capitan! That's Drake, the British privateer that's been capturing ships all along the cost, should we flee?"

Captain: "No, let's run over there and see what what he's got to say for himself..."

The game would be much improved without knowing the enemy ship until you're within hail when it goes open world.

Get away from this 'well, other games have them' stand point too, this is it's own game, it doesn't need to be like other games. If they wanted to make WoT or WT at sea they wouldn't have ambition to go open world with it.

• Like 2

You can still shoot people way beyond the distance that the names pop up. I do it all the time. So, no, your wrong. Shots are feasible long before the names show up. And no, the name is not helpful for replicating shots. Like I said, show me the video where you are actually hitting the target only by using the name as an aiming point. Why will I see no video of this? Because the only way to truly walk your shots to target is to single shot with zoom and actually see where the rounds are falling.

So, no, don't try to argue that you think that you are right. Actually bother to prove your claim with evidence.  

I know that you're a troll now from other posts, but I will respond briefly against my better judgment.

I'm not going to go install video software and accept a homework assignment from you just to humor your presumptuous nature.

We are not discussing something that is arguable here. I am the one playing the game. If I say that I effectively use the name labels to target things, then that is a reflection of my personal experience and I am automatically right. There is no 'evidence' to show.

• Like 4

none the less this is a computer game... if you want to much realistic go sail in the irl navy... 

It isn't for realism sake. It's to enhance gameplay.

I would imagine something will have to be shown over (or near) each ship to distinguish them apart. It just shouldn't be their name.

• Like 1

Not true - I sank Grim DeGrim without even seeing him in my santi the other day (he in a Bellona) I sighted on his name and used my teammate to spot my shots over about 5 of DeGrims little teammates.

I am pretty sure he was shocked when he got blistered out of the clear grey sky - thanks name tag!

The question is will only one variant of a name be available, for example will I be the only Samuel Hood or can there be multiple (as was the case as its a very strong naval family where everyone is named Samuel or Alexander. If that is the case then a floating name shouldnt be necessary as one person you think is someone else will merely be a waste of your time. I think that the only ship that should be distinguishable to the enemy fleet via name or ensign should be the flagship (of the van, centre or rear). They would be the highlighted ships at the time and would be the aim of the enemy fleet just as people in this game will aim to kill the commanders. In PotBS I was one of the commanders who was constantly targeted and that is fine in my book but I think that a degree of tactic and observation should be used to identify warships (by the commanding officers ensign) as opposed to scrolling through names.

• 1 month later...

Names in Sea Trials is understandable. The real question is whether or not they should be included in the open world.

All the "beautiful pictures" of Open World so far don't have them when they include ships. I hope they stay gone when others are involved.

• Like 2