Game-Labs Forum

Modify the names over the ships ?

At some stage the Devs put the work in to give each player the option they want to see on their own personal screen.

A, Name tags as is, with the option to turn them on and off during play

So you get the idea. The above aren't what I think the Devs should offer, merely some varying options offered up by the posts above. I am sure that each have merit and that an option to select some of the most popular will please everyone.

I can't already wait for the confusion from future jack_sparrow's when calling targets because they had decided to turn off the whole UI for the ''immersion''.

I can't already wait for the confusion from future jack_sparrow's when calling targets because they had decided to turn off the whole UI for the ''immersion''.

And their lies the argument for the 'keep the names there' 

If your team mates are willing to identify the enemy by brg and class, number in line "Intend to target 2nd sol brg 240 degrees." then theres no problem.

You removed the other options I listed in my post btw. quoting half an argument is lending your bias to my post.

And their lies the argument for the 'keep the names there' 

If your team mates are willing to identify the enemy by brg and class, number in line "Intend to target 2nd sol brg 240 degrees." then theres no problem.

You removed the other options I listed in my post btw. quoting half an argument is lending your bias to my post.

I'm not really arguing with your point, just showing what it will lead to.

This is already in the game until they come to name range. I would like to see you call targets in such a manner while there are 3+ enemy ships of the same class cutting into your line from different locations and their position changing in a matter of seconds once it becomes a brawl.

Because I wasn't replying to these other points.

How much fun would it be for those "notorious" captains to be recognized instantly and being avoided like the plague, though?

The most successful fighter pilot of all time, Major Erich Hartman, had a distinctive "black tulip" design on the nose of his Messerschmitt. He also had a massive price on his head. It was not sought. If this aircraft was seen, it was AVOIDED. Pilots were known to eject and even crash land their aircraft in fear. Major Hartman frequently lent this aircraft to rookie wingmen pilots to enable them to return alive. It also had the effect of enabling him to wreak havoc on his Russian opponents in an "unmarked" aircraft.

Being "known" and having a fearsome reputation does have its drawbacks, and these Captains may find it harder to engage in combat as most who spy him flee in terror. They might also find themselves hunted by packs of enemies. But these players are much better than average, and might be able to out-sail you as you try to out-run them. These captains with fearsome reputations have such a reputation because they are good at combat, but no-one will survive a 6 against 1 mismatch.

Still, we are talking about two types of players here...the awesome Alpha player, who has sunk so many ships as to have a reputation to be feared, and the knowledgeable and experienced player, who might not be so great at combat, but knows of the reputation of Captain Awesome, and maybe has even seen him destroy many opponents. BOTH types of players need to have played Naval Action for some time to get that good, and to get that much knowledge.

Removing the names from above vessels, either enemy or friendly, does not in any way help a newer player.  

The two types of experienced players will most likely continue to play the game, one trying to mask his identity, the other attempting to avoid him at all costs. The newer player might just leave the game, either in disgust at what he perceives as Alpha players ganking him, or just that he's not good enough, or that it becomes too hard to try to identify whether a vessel is allied or enemy, whatever the repuation of that enemy.

So, what is the solution? Leave the names as it is at present BUT allow the option to toggle them on or off. The ultra realism players and movie makers will be happy, the newbie will be happy. If you have the ability to toggle the names off, you must provide the ability to recognise the ships another way. Captain Awesome will still be feared, his ship recognisable by name or pendant or ship name. The less experienced players can see him and run if they desire.

The elite players here that wish to be left alone as they are constantly targetted by numerous vessels at once cannot have it both ways. They enter a 10 against 10 battle and down 4 or 5 by themselves, and then cry when people run from them (what a surprise!). If you are that good, and in a first rate vessel or an obviously heavily armed vessel, you WILL become a target.

It was mentioned earlier that these awesome players should NOT be the ones to be taken out first. The vulnerable, the out of position, the unfortunate, the smaller, less armed vessels also have guns, and should be (and can be) quickly removed. Whilst this is going on, Captain Awesome can be having a field day disposing of several enemies, or reducing several of them to almost zero armour by himself. Then, it will be his turn to suffer, when he is the last remaining vessel on their side. It doesn't matter what his reputation is at that stage.

I honestly believe that removal of the names completely from either or both sides will result in the loss of new players wanting to get into the game, and that will be harmful in the long run. I believe most here want to have fun. Some will enjoy the fear of having a vessel approach, unsure of its intent, whether it is friendly or hostile. They will enjoy the realism of having to scan the vessel through a spyglass and look for a ship's name or pendant or national flag. But the newer less experienced players, and those just logging on for fun MIGHT NOT enjoy that aspect. I believe we have to cater for all these types of players.

post-6995-0-92420900-1421580613.gif

• Like 2

i wouldnt mind if people get out of my way later when hauling cargo in an Indiaman because i could be know from sea trials.

but having a Moderator title below the name in the Forum is a Curse and pain enough.

displaying the name or not wouldnt change that i can spot an rookie from an experienced Player simply by observing how he is using his Ship the way he uses tracking shot or if he is using manual sails when tacking or wearing. 

and we need it for the tribunal currently to bring the unwanted quests to puplic for judgement.

nickname is the only fast identificator of target in large fight. How you imagine admiral order to focus? Who? That constitution? 7-th constitution from left to right? How about rush or cases, when ships is splitted to few groups. "No, not that Trinc, sailor!" Very funny... I can only facepalm tripple times, while looking how many of you vote for 2 option. Sad

i agree that in 19th century when admirals used ts it was hard for them to not the the name of opponent in front of tjeir mast. I figue they use flags to "named" the ship like for example: "focus" the third ship or the victoy etc.

As we are going to do ig

i agree that in 19th century when admirals used ts it was hard for them to not the the name of opponent in front of tjeir mast. I figue they use flags to "named" the ship like for example: "focus" the third ship or the victoy etc.

As we are going to do ig

Can we agree we are not 19th century admirals and that we don't want to be forced to poop in buckets to keep realism going?

And if so, can we completely drop this stupid tangent? Seriously, I don't care how 19th century admirals pooped. So please, let's keep talking about the game instead.

• Like 1

I think it is a fair assumption that if you take one step in one direction, the next step in the same direction will be easier to take.

The only steps I'm in favor of taking are in the direction of removing names of players until within a certain distance and only in open world. There is no next step to take.

Note that I never claimed that A with 100% certainty would lead to B, just that there is a risk. That's just how the human mind works. There is no logical fallacy there. The clumsy attempt at being clever displayed at that website doesn't even pertain to what I said.

Use that link when you debate with republican fanatics on facebook. Not here. ;)

The human mind works in logical fallacies. Your assumption that "While this particular change might not lead to that, it is a step in the wrong direction and will easily become a slippery slope." is a known logical fallacy. You even used the exact words...

You're leveraging the fear that this 1 change will lead to others without offering any reasons as to why. It won't, it's only one change and should be argued for and against on it's own merits.

PS: I don't use facebook and as a British citizen have no idea what 'Republican fanatics' even are..

• Like 1

In battles I think having names be toggle-able like the UI is currently makes the most sense.

Trying to do spyglass checks while maintaining a line and doing all the gunnery and sailing tasks that one might IRL delegate to your officers is going to limit situational awareness more then it increases immersion.

Over longer distances in say the open world having a distance at which player names fade out or require a spyglass to see might make for some interesting gameplay and could be worth looking into.

The most successful fighter pilot of all time, Major Erich Hartman, had a distinctive "black tulip" design on the nose of his Messerschmitt. He also had a massive price on his head. It was not sought. If this aircraft was seen, it was AVOIDED. Pilots were known to eject and even crash land their aircraft in fear. Major Hartman frequently lent this aircraft to rookie wingmen pilots to enable them to return alive. It also had the effect of enabling him to wreak havoc on his Russian opponents in an "unmarked" aircraft.

Being "known" and having a fearsome reputation does have its drawbacks, and these Captains may find it harder to engage in combat as most who spy him flee in terror. They might also find themselves hunted by packs of enemies. But these players are much better than average, and might be able to out-sail you as you try to out-run them. These captains with fearsome reputations have such a reputation because they are good at combat, but no-one will survive a 6 against 1 mismatch.

Still, we are talking about two types of players here...the awesome Alpha player, who has sunk so many ships as to have a reputation to be feared, and the knowledgeable and experienced player, who might not be so great at combat, but knows of the reputation of Captain Awesome, and maybe has even seen him destroy many opponents. BOTH types of players need to have played Naval Action for some time to get that good, and to get that much knowledge.

Removing the names from above vessels, either enemy or friendly, does not in any way help a newer player.

The two types of experienced players will most likely continue to play the game, one trying to mask his identity, the other attempting to avoid him at all costs. The newer player might just leave the game, either in disgust at what he perceives as Alpha players ganking him, or just that he's not good enough, or that it becomes too hard to try to identify whether a vessel is allied or enemy, whatever the repuation of that enemy.

So, what is the solution? Leave the names as it is at present BUT allow the option to toggle them on or off. The ultra realism players and movie makers will be happy, the newbie will be happy. If you have the ability to toggle the names off, you must provide the ability to recognise the ships another way. Captain Awesome will still be feared, his ship recognisable by name or pendant or ship name. The less experienced players can see him and run if they desire.

The elite players here that wish to be left alone as they are constantly targetted by numerous vessels at once cannot have it both ways. They enter a 10 against 10 battle and down 4 or 5 by themselves, and then cry when people run from them (what a surprise!). If you are that good, and in a first rate vessel or an obviously heavily armed vessel, you WILL become a target.

It was mentioned earlier that these awesome players should NOT be the ones to be taken out first. The vulnerable, the out of position, the unfortunate, the smaller, less armed vessels also have guns, and should be (and can be) quickly removed. Whilst this is going on, Captain Awesome can be having a field day disposing of several enemies, or reducing several of them to almost zero armour by himself. Then, it will be his turn to suffer, when he is the last remaining vessel on their side. It doesn't matter what his reputation is at that stage.

I honestly believe that removal of the names completely from either or both sides will result in the loss of new players wanting to get into the game, and that will be harmful in the long run. I believe most here want to have fun. Some will enjoy the fear of having a vessel approach, unsure of its intent, whether it is friendly or hostile. They will enjoy the realism of having to scan the vessel through a spyglass and look for a ship's name or pendant or national flag. But the newer less experienced players, and those just logging on for fun MIGHT NOT enjoy that aspect. I believe we have to cater for all these types of players.

attachicon.gifcheers.gif

AGAIN, no one is suggesting that the opposing players not be KNOWN - only that something less obtrusive than a six foot high RED banner over their head be used to identify them.

Glad to see the game stir such passion, though :wacko:

Can we agree we are not 19th century admirals and that we don't want to be forced to poop in buckets to keep realism going?

And if so, can we completely drop this stupid tangent? Seriously, I don't care how 19th century admirals pooped. So please, let's keep talking about the game instead.

YOU are NOT pooping in a bucket while playing? Get the virtual keel haul ready! :lol::D:P:unsure:

As we are going to do ig

This perspective is what comes from those that I like to call realism junkies. These perspectives forget that ultimately this is a game and ultimately must be fun to play and not frustrating and the problem with using arguments of such a black and white nature is you have to explain all your accepted transgressions of your philosophy. The hypocrisy of it.

(Im not really picking on you Plerrick just the realism junkie perspective in general. all respect to you!)

AGAIN, no one is suggesting that the opposing players not be KNOWN - only that something less obtrusive than a six foot high RED banner over their head be used to identify them.

Glad to see the game stir such passion, though :wacko:

Is it that obtrusive? Does it get in the way for you? You exaggerate for effect but we all know of course that the names arnt that big. So, I'm not really sure what your getting at.

I will offer an alternative but I'm afraid the realism junkies will still not like it.

First, make the ability to know a ship's Captain based off the recognition skill. Learning a Captain's name will be something that happens in the open world. Maybe through battle, maybe through peaceful encounters.

In a battle you will only see the names of the Captain's that you have gained information about in your travels and the distance at which you see that name will be based off of your recognition skill or maybe how many times you have encountered a particular Captain on the high seas. This should appease somewhat the realism junkies since the name acquisition will be more immersive as it will be linked to a Captain's info gathering. The one caviot would have to be that you would recognize that Captain no matter what ship he is sailing and that is because this is a game and he will have the ability to switch ships on a whim.

Second, and the realism junkies will probably not like this part but the admiral of the fleet needs the power to mark targets. I would suggest upwards of three targets but I'd settle for two. This is primarily for game play purposes and to avoid frustration. It is frustrating to have to use a paragraph to focus a ship. Marking a target may remove from realism but being frustrated will remove from gameplay. It is a compromise and we are already gonna have an interactive map for the admiral with adjustable arrows and such. I don't remember reading any history books saying that Nelson used and of that.

• Like 2

If the names were to be removed there would still need to be something above the enemy to help designate a target. You could focus but just wouldn't know who you were focusing on. The ability to see friendly names as is would be a good idea as well.

I'm fairly sure levithan wouldn't mind his name not being shown

I know if i was trying to sneak up on an enemy and saw that name above an enemy ship. I'd probably turn and run. :P

Don't know if we Will be able to name our ships. If so A ship registry would be nice to have

You see a ship named sea beast. And look it up to see who the captain is

I'm with the ship customization for identification, there should be customizable sails and/or hulls -- not necessarily to the extent of user content, but, at least a preset sail color/design in battle for each nation, such as the cross of Burgundy for Spain. English and French for now. After all didn't Nelson have his fleet's sails altered for easy identification for the real Trafalgar? Later on user created flags would be great for identifying ourselves or choosing to remain anonymous in battle due to reputation.

Until these options are available though... I don't want to lose the names honestly.

First, make the ability to know a ship's Captain based off the recognition skill. Learning a Captain's name will be something that happens in the open world. Maybe through battle, maybe through peaceful encounters.

In a battle you will only see the names of the Captain's that you have gained information about in your travels and the distance at which you see that name will be based off of your recognition skill or maybe how many times you have encountered a particular Captain on the high seas. This should appease somewhat the realism junkies since the name acquisition will be more immersive as it will be linked to a Captain's info gathering. The one caviot would have to be that you would recognize that Captain no matter what ship he is sailing and that is because this is a game and he will have the ability to switch ships on a whim.

This is something that I thought of as well. (But I was too tired to write it down last night ^^) +1

I'm fairly sure levithan wouldn't mind his name not being shown

I know if i was trying to sneak up on an enemy and saw that name above an enemy ship. I'd probably turn and run. :P

Don't know if we Will be able to name our ships. If so A ship registry would be nice to have

You see a ship named sea beast. And look it up to see who the captain is

I'm pretty sure you are right - here is a screen shot of Leviathan after he was "focus fired" - you will notice I took the shot from an untouched Vic. later in the game I did manage to do some 20k damage myself and we won, maybe they should have feared my name (or at least my guns) "just a smidge"?

Don't you think Leviathan should get to enjoy the game as much as anyone else?

2015-01-08_00002.jpg

This perspective is what comes from those that I like to call realism junkies. These perspectives forget that ultimately this is a game and ultimately must be fun to play and not frustrating and the problem with using arguments of such a black and white nature is you have to explain all your accepted transgressions of your philosophy. The hypocrisy of it.

(Im not really picking on you Plerrick just the realism junkie perspective in general. all respect to you!)

Is it that obtrusive? Does it get in the way for you? You exaggerate for effect but we all know of course that the names arnt that big. So, I'm not really sure what your getting at.

I will offer an alternative but I'm afraid the realism junkies will still not like it.

Second, and the realism junkies will probably not like this part but the admiral of the fleet needs the power to mark targets. I would suggest upwards of three targets but I'd settle for two. This is primarily for game play purposes and to avoid frustration. It is frustrating to have to use a paragraph to focus a ship. Marking a target may remove from realism but being frustrated will remove from gameplay. It is a compromise and we are already gonna have an interactive map for the admiral with adjustable arrows and such. I don't remember reading any history books saying that Nelson used and of that.

I really do hope we can have a civil discussion without resorting to name conjuring.

And from certain perspectives in game the tags do appear quite large - for you to denigrate my expression of their magnitude while calling names out lacks HONOR sir.

Hey, while I thought most of your arguments in your last post were either unfounded or argued against an idea that the majority aren't putting forward (not at all to your detriment, of course) I do respect that you're thinking about compromise.

I would happily admit to being one of these so called 'realism junkies'  :rolleyes:  in some instances, but not this one. I genuinely think hiding the name (until well within firing distance) would add to game play.

Your idea of a 'recognition skill' is a good one. I would say it should be a skill the player brings to the table (recognising familiar ships/ship set-ups and how they approach you) rather than the game but I would far prefer your 'recognition skill' over being able to see the names at all times and distances. (I'm talking specifically to open world too btw)

As for focus fire, an argument that keeps coming up, I can appreciate why, given the nature of the current alpha test it's been given such high importance. However....

1. If a group of players give it half as much importance as seems to have been given to it in this thread then players will find a way to do it regardless. It would even become something of a skill in itself.

2. Any difficulties in this department apply to both sides, so contrary to what has been argued it won't make the game any harder in that respect, it's just more to manage if you want to become better than other players.

3. Game labs are under no obligation to make focus firing easier as it's not necessarily essential to game play. Or even something that happened historically. I'm not trying to take it out of the game just highlight this.

4. It's overlooked how easily this can be overcome. It's been suggested in this thread that something as simple as displaying numbers above the enemy ships (maybe only when you hold a button down) would make focus firing no harder than it is currently. All without knowing the names of your enemy.

Anyway, glad to see people discussing the actual question at hand.

There is lots of ambiguity over what is being proposed here and what the changes would effect. I would be more than willing to make a new thread/poll that is far clearer as to what we're talking about and with more detailed, compromising options/ alternatives then link to it in this thread if people would like?

Almost each trafalgar going to chaos mess of ship, which is everywhere. That was in reality. That is in game. Ask Doran, he will confirm it. So about what exactly tube watching we talking? Flags isn't best way to replace old good nickname targeting, since we will lose tonn of time tube-watching again. Maybe we can talk about some marks, but we doesn't know, what admiral gameplay we will get from devs. So untill we don't know it, nicknames must flow. I understand that in those poll only one of ten voters have some admiral expirience, maybe, so we have majority, that vote 2 option. But you guys should listen those who have it and know, how hard it will be to comand without proper targeting.

I really do hope we can have a civil discussion without resorting to name conjuring.

And from certain perspectives in game the tags do appear quite large - for you to denigrate my expression of their magnitude while calling names out lacks HONOR sir.

First, I'm not being uncivil in the least by calling someone a realism junky. Calling someone a realism junky is pretty benign in my opinion. I'm not calling some one a moron or doubting their intelligence. By calling someone a realism junky I am just calling them narrow focused, tunnel visioned and they are. Wrapped up in trying to make things perfect to history they threaten to push the game in a very boring direction. I'm a believer in realism believe it or not. I think its in the games best interest to make the game as real as possible but without jeopardizing fun game play. In real life fleet actions there wasn't maneuvering. It was sailing up to within a couple hundred meters and firing away until one struck or sank. But if we did that in game, no one would play. It would be boring. So from the get go, right now how it stands, we have a very unrealistic game when it comes to fleet actions but you arn't complaining about that. This is where the hypocrisy comes in. And saying its hypocritical is an observation of verifiable fact not name calling, and I'm referring to the philosophy of ultra realism and immersion not so much the person. To argue immersion when talking about something that is so minor yet ignore the myriad of other unhistorical big picture items seems hypocritical to me. If you find me saying so dishonorable then I have to wonder if its hitting home a little.

So how about we put this behind us and move on with the debate at hand.

Your idea of a 'recognition skill' is a good one. I would say it should be a skill the player brings to the table (recognising familiar ships/ship set-ups and how they approach you) rather than the game but I would far prefer your 'recognition skill' over being able to see the names at all times and distances. (I'm talking specifically to open world too btw)

As for focus fire, an argument that keeps coming up, I can appreciate why, given the nature of the current alpha test it's been given such high importance. However....

1. If a group of players give it half as much importance as seems to have been given to it in this thread then players will find a way to do it regardless. It would even become something of a skill in itself.

2. Any difficulties in this department apply to both sides, so contrary to what has been argued it won't make the game any harder in that respect, it's just more to manage if you want to become better than other players.

3. Game labs are under no obligation to make focus firing easier as it's not necessarily essential to game play. Or even something that happened historically. I'm not trying to take it out of the game just highlight this.

4. It's overlooked how easily this can be overcome. It's been suggested in this thread that something as simple as displaying numbers above the enemy ships (maybe only when you hold a button down) would make focus firing no harder than it is currently. All without knowing the names of your enemy.

Anyway, glad to see people discussing the actual question at hand.

There is lots of ambiguity over what is being proposed here and what the changes would effect. I would be more than willing to make a new thread/poll that is far clearer as to what we're talking about and with more detailed, compromising options/ alternatives then link to it in this thread if people would like?

I really can't take credit for the recognition skill. The admin stated it will be in the game on the open sea. I'm just suggesting a way to apply it to fight instances.

To respond to your points:

1. Your right here. They will find a way regardless, so focus firing will be in the game no matter what and no matter how realistic it was in real life. Now that we agree on this point. :) we have to deal with the game play aspect and my point is that the calling of focus will serve to frustrate players if there is no way to do it easily. I think the frustration will take away from the fun and will be an issue for years to come.

2. Its not that it will be harder that worries me but that it will be irritating and that is worse.

3. Agreed

4. The number idea would work but at that point why not just have the names? What I really do like about what you say here is the part about making it something seen only when you press a button. Link it to the alt key or something. If you don't like seeing the names cuz of immersion reasons then you don't have to see them. Everyone is happy. :)

As a side note and just a reiteration. I think names are important because this is a community of people. I enjoy knowing who my adversaries are. Ive had very good relationships with people on Potbs that I continually fought and often lost against. I just think it would be sad to not be able to recognize your rivals when your fighting them. It would also be less "immersive" to have to type in area chat..." who are you guys" at the beginning of every fight. Of course, in the name of immersion, area chat will probably be argued against and if successful I will have absolutely no way to know who I'm fighting. Thats a community killer in my opinion.

• Like 2

I was of the belief there might be a prestige or honor type of ranking.  That it could tied to the captain's progression with the Admiralty.  If this is true, then could not someone's high ranking contribute to their recognition?  This would be in addition to the ability you've referenced.  The difference, or enhancement, is that I can have terrible recognition skills, but someone might be the biggest fish out there and you'd need to be blind not to know them on sight...

I can live with either scenario, but add my feedback for consideration.

• Like 2

It is pretty clear from the voting that many think it might be more to their liking to reduce/replace/change/modify the name tags  - and those who don't want change will resort to some pretty strong attempts to broadside the majority with their reasons for liking it like it is.

I also like the game as it is - I just see a possibility for it to be better.