Game-Labs Forum

Remove co-ordinates from F11

I am pretty sure that the purpose of that is to inform the devs in the f11 of the location the user had the issue. yes you can use it for navigation if you're savvy enough but it's only useful when someone needs to be in a specific place when it's provided by someone else. I am in the camp that believes some sort of precise locator is required to relay information to others (Captains always had maps with navigation lines on them. I don't quite recall what the gripe against coordinates on the world map was but I still argue that maps should be stored on the client's side and we should have tools to personalize them for our needs. this includes navigation lines, even if we don't have specific coordinates.)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Galt said:

yeah they could, but I am glad they don't and I don't think they should. When the game is released, I am really curious how people will do with (south of Les Cayes, not quite halfway to Zoutman)

revenge fleet would be more difficult to set indeed ;)

Edited by RKY
  • Like 2

I am still using F11 to calibrate my position as I fine tune my skill at dead reckoning.  It is helpful.  My intent is to know where I am based on my speed and time sailed.

Players can calculate the map distance that each ship travels (in a given period of time) by sailing between known points,  but F11 makes it alot easier.  Having F11 and the Trader Tool allows us to practice dead reckoning sailing while sailing on the open ocean, away from land.  It is a handy way to check calculations.  So it still serves a purpose.

Are we experiencing so much ganking lately that we need to be in a hurry to remove F11 and the trader tool?  I had thought that having a grid map only available through a third party was enough to confuse the gankers.

9 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

We have sextant now. No need for co-ordinates from F11 to remain in the game.

Rubbish!

If you don't want to use the coordinates - don't use it. 

It's disgusting that some players try to regulate the game like they want to play. 

This "We have" means "I have". Nobody has the right to talk for the community. Create a poll. This is the way how a community can decide

• Like 5

Sextant "perk" is nonsens.

Getting a rough or good enough position is elemental part of sailing.

And at that time we had the tools to do so. Im not sure when the naval clock was introduced to get the longitude.

Do someone know the age old game B-17 Flying Fortress form 1992? (Yes, Im a bit older^^)

There was an "AI" navigator who "guessed" the possition of the bomber.

The position was only rough and the player could manually corret the position on your best judgement on the navigation map.

In fact you had to correct him, because the "guess" was all the time a bit off.

If your judgment was off, you could miss the target area too.

I think this mini-game can be used in NA too.

Your officers will "guess" the position, but you can manually correct it on the map.

For that we need a new tool to measure distance.

Then you can tell your friends:

"50k NW of Macao"

No "Perk" or F11 required any more.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Mindfield said:

Sextant "perk" is nonsens.

Getting a rough or good enough position is elemental part of sailing.

And at that time we had the tools to do so. Im not sure when the naval clock was introduced to get the longitude.

Do someone know the age old game B-17 Flying Fortress form 1992? (Yes, Im a bit older^^)

There was an "AI" navigator who "guessed" the possition of the bomber.

The position was only rough and the player could manually corret the position on your best judgement on the navigation map.

In fact you had to correct him, because the "guess" was all the time a bit off.

If your judgment was off, you could miss the target area too.

I think this mini-game can be used in NA too.

Your officers will "guess" the position, but you can manually correct it on the map.

For that we need a new tool to measure distance.

Then you can tell your friends:

"50k NW of Macao"

No "Perk" or F11 required any more.

again!!! Sextants are accurate up to a few houndred meters. Also the horizon irl is something like 4k in radius, which means the sextant we have ingame is correct from what you have in real life. The only thing i would argue is that it probably wasnt one dude checking the coordinates 24/7 so it should update each ingame hour on the map, and you could have a perk which gave you master navigator which increased the accuracy of the sextant.

And besides you dont "guess" your location, you get to know it through calculations and measurements.

2 minutes ago, Wyy said:

it should update each ingame hour on the map

An ingame hour is around 45 irl minutes. Within 45 minutes you probably have crossed a quarter of the map so that this position would be quite useless anyway. So I don't see how this would be helpful.

Who likes to waste points for the sextant perk should use it. I still believe most people don't use it at all.

1 hour ago, Joernsson said:

An ingame hour is around 45 irl minutes. Within 45 minutes you probably have crossed a quarter of the map so that this position would be quite useless anyway. So I don't see how this would be helpful.

Who likes to waste points for the sextant perk should use it. I still believe most people don't use it at all.

what? Im not thinking about the server time, i know that counts the same as IRL time. But the day and nighttime for the server counts 10 and 10 mins each irl minute if you click the fleet tab on the OW.

22 minutes ago, Mindfield said:

Guess why I wrote "guess" in quotes.

Seems you guessed wrong. :)

ah yes sorry, but sextant are as precise as they are in the game right now though, only comment is that they didnt update the position each minute.

Edited by Guest

1. Put latitude and longitude lines back on the map. Sea charts without lat/lon are just pictures. 

2. Give everyone a minimum of navigation skill, e.g. noon position or noon latitude. This is basic captain's skill. 

3. "Sextant" perk should be "Naval clock and nautical almanach" and this should give you a precise position day and night. 

4. Remove F11 coordinates and distances in trader tool. 

2 hours ago, Wyy said:

again!!! Sextants are accurate up to a few houndred meters.

Wow. You are giving lessons? Would love to improve my sextant skills. 

It is going to be removed eventually and I don't see anything else being added now that will be better for working out your location in-game than the sextant perk.

Don't get me wrong, I use F11, but the game doesn't need it any more and it would be better for the game if sextant was used. As it stands now there's no reason to ever use it because you can use F11, go to Naval Action maps and bam, exact location and everything is given to you including time of sail etc...

It would be really nice if people would get it into their brains that the devs are NOT going to do anything that requires any sort of big-time coding (i.e. minigames, new animations, etc.) until AFTER they get what is on THEIR roadmap done, if at all.

Even then, its clear from the responses here that there is no consensus on what people want.

If you stop constantly bitching about stuff that is not even on their roadmap, you'll be far less disappointed.

• Like 1