Game-Labs Forum

Remove co-ordinates from F11

Just now, Christendom said:

Remove F11 only if sextant is built-in and not a perk.

:( ... no please. As a perk is good. You need it ?! Then use it.

Many captains can describe their position without needing F11 or the perk.

Isn't word and speech craft to transmit position in the open sea a skill ? Why remove that skillset in favor of "not spending a perk slot" !?

:( ... whatever

• Like 2

Just now, Hethwill said:

:( ... no please. As a perk is good. You need it ?! Then use it.

Many captains can describe their position without needing F11 or the perk.

Isn't word and speech craft to transmit position in the open sea a skill ? Why remove that skillset in favor of "not spending a perk slot" !?

:( ... whatever

it could also very well be moved to the game options menu and captains who want to get lost and be immersed at all the 1st rates in the Caribbean......can simply turn it off.  

pssst    I doubt they will

• Like 2

The problem is, there is no middle ground.  With trader tool and F11 gone, there will be only the sextant and dead reckoning.  Sextant is too accurate for any kind of immersion and DR is problematic as you must stay on a course (for long journeys) despite the shifting winds.

40 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

But why !?... 

Perk is great.

( shhh.. i know i know you need the slot for another thing...hence free lunch... :) )

yea I use that slot for the magical and immersion breaking talent that is determined defender.  

I not really sure why having the sextant be an option in the game menu is a bad thing, but OK.  I do however think that removing F11 coords and not having a navigation tool be on by default because some players like to "get lost" is incredibly selfish and short sighted.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mindfield said:

Do someone know the age old game B-17 Flying Fortress form 1992? (Yes, Im a bit older^^)

Excellent game. It is very easy to locate your position from 10,000 meters above sea level, observing the geographical features and the map to do it at sea level. The perk sextant is very well implemented in the game. To whom it seems too easy or unreal, do not use it and you will have space for another perk that you consider more useful.

• Like 1

It would make the sextant perk more useful and certainly be good to have one member of a fleet having it.

Problem is, there would then be no way of getting a coordinate to relay to other players without using the the netlify map. As great as it is, why are we being forced to use an outside of game resource to identify coordinates?  Would it not be better to at least have grid marking on the edges of the map so people with the perk (and without by estimate) can at least then identify a position as a coordinate, without having to alt tab all the time?

• Like 1

Just now, Hullabaloo said:

It would make the sextant perk more useful and certainly be good to have one member of a fleet having it.

Problem is, there would then be no way of getting a coordinate to relay to other players without using the the netlify map. As great as it is, why are we being forced to use an outside of game resource to identify coordinates?  Would it not be better to at least have grid marking on the edges of the map so people with the perk (and without by estimate) can at least then identify a position as a coordinate, without having to alt tab all the time?

A chart without a grid or a scale is a picture....

On 2/4/2019 at 4:30 PM, RKY said:

revenge fleet would be more difficult to set indeed ;)

Unless your out in the middle of no where most the time a revenge fleet is this, "Hay guys I got tagged by Pirates out side CT just north still int he green zone".   You don't need cords to find that battle.  Most of us can give you pretty good cords just by the lay of the land.  So unless the battle is in the middle of no where than there is no use  of the cords to set up a revenge fleet and than it's good to no longer have them in game.  Cause you know what most o us know how to use third party stuff to find locations off those cords or to match them.  Remove that and you only have revenege fleets around major ports where you should expect to have a whole navy after yo if your raiding a coast line of another nations capital waters.

I say remove them next patch.  Like said we have the sextent perk no so no reason to have them in there.  Devs can still see them if you do a F11 report.   We got the return to friendly port remove so why not the F11 now?  Just do it.

8 hours ago, Hullabaloo said:

They really need to return the grids and cords on the map (not to the char) so we can do that.  I can tell you to meet me at this Lag/Lon and if you can read a map half decent you should be able to figure out that location. Than plot your course.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sento de Benimaclet said:

very well implemented in the game. To whom it seems too easy or unreal, do not use it and you will have space for another perk that you consider more useful.

pfffftt, Bwahaha, what even is this? You missed your own point.
Sextant perk is horribly done and this single sentence proves its inauthenticity is indefensible.
Sextant is a common tool in the real world at this time, and you think a perk....a *perk* is the best way to represent it? Not even mentioning the pinpoint GPS.
Way to further the conviction that anyone who says "nahhh it's fine, naah I don't have a reason it just IS" is out of their minds.

• Like 1

If players want to use a grid they can use Shrouded Recluse's  map  SR map.  Pressing "m" or "Alt Tab" is really not much different.  If players have the Sextant Perk they can see the GPS icon on the ingame map.  It takes very little skill or practice to compare a location on the ingame map to  SR map and bingo you have co-ordinates without F11.  F11 makes it a wee bit more convenient, but comparing maps is simple.

The fear of F11 seems short sighted with such an easy work around.

Using grids to communicate location is now possible with the Sextant Perk and  SR map.  Removing F11 won't stop location coordination between players now.  Removing F11 just forces most players to use the Sextant Perk.  Unfortunate for those who prefer to use some co-ords with SR map, rather than a GPS icon.

Perhaps this push to remove F11 is just the initial step to demanding that the Sextant be available without using perks.  

Edited by Macjimm
Speling

Not giving any position information at all is just too hardcore. Especially for new players. I'm fine with the sextant perk, but there should be something for everyone to retrieve position information on the map.

Suggestion: improve the protractor tool to draw a series of lines on the chart yourself. Each line should tell you the course/bearing and distance (but please use nautical units, not "k"). This way you could actually plan your course, do some dead reckoning, get a fix to a cape etc. 

Ideal:

Some rudimentary navigational tools such as line of bearing read outs with the telescope view and ability to set waypoints.

A daily noontime and perhaps midnight positional x 3 digit and y 3 digit positioning if the weather is clear.

Make sextant an Expert Navigator 3 point perk which gives a more exact and more frequent reading.

Remove coordinates from F11.

If Dev goes through with changing ROE to allow longer times for reinforcements, knowing more accurate positional measurement will be very important tactically.

• Like 1