Game-Labs Forum

Empty sea

7 hours ago, Intrepido said:

And more empty will it be as time passes without proper tweaks on the changes that brought patch 27.

The game is made for what 2500 players and 1500+ AI bots.  You think the devs would increase the AI bot numbers while the play numbers are down.  That makes it so that it can stand 4000 ships at one time.  Which we are more getting about half that with prime time low of 250 (EU prime time today) you think they could add more bots....but hay the PvP only guys would just complain that they have to wade through the bots and not players.   

• Like 2

I like OW PvP and the concept of this beautifull age of sail game but the OW seems to be deserted. Most of the seldom enemys I encounter on OW run away and only do fight when they can outnumber. 1-2 fights in 5 hours!? Feels so boring. I sail around and have nothing to do. Lots of PvP players I know have gone or play much less. The only PvP I can find is in the patrol zone. I do not like the patrol zone because of the ROE and the ultimate ganking. It is just boring.

And why should I try to get doubloons? I like the idea of doubloons and I like patch 27 but atm I do not need doubloons. In the patrol zone I can sail (captured) 5th rates with low upgrades (no need of doubloons to produce) and there are no battles where I need a ship crafted with doubloons. I am swimming in doubloons. The only reason why I drove to the patrolzone yesterday (and was sunk in a nice 1:3 directly in front of aves outside the zone) was not to get doubloons but that I wanted to see a ship sailed by a human and not by a bot. I am sad to say so.

Given that we players are the main content of the game, I do not care if one of the „running-away-players“ or „PvP-avoid-players“ is leaving the game. They are no content for me (in my very personal view of this game). But I do care when a lot of the remaining PvP players seem to be concentrated in the Patrol zone and the OW is deserted. That leaves no contend for me and my way of playing the game.

I do not have a solution and I do not want to be right or wrong, I just express how I feel when I play atm.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

It is quite simple, a good amount of rvr players also do pvp.

F.uck rvr, pvp ends being f.ucked.

RvR is not realy happening atm... so following your approach there should be enough OW PvP. But it is not. PvP of the PvP interested players seems to be concentrated in the patrol zones.

13 minutes ago, Sir Loorkon said:

RvR is not realy happening atm... so following your approach there should be enough OW PvP. But it is not. PvP of the PvP interested players seems to be concentrated in the patrol zones.

Every other pvp killed by 2 min join timer.

We are all swimming in doubloons, sea might be full of admiralty ships, but it's not. Nobody wants to sail for hours to be sunk by outnumbered enemy without any chance to get help from anyone. Sad.

In my opinion, the new missions/events have been quite successful! I have never been a big combat guy, mostly trade/craft. But the daily events with the possibility to earn D's have actually been appealing to me and I've done a few of them. I also read in Nation/Global chats many people talking about taking or completing missions/events. So the missions have been popular and people seem to enjoy them.

I think more people going after NPC's has made them less available, which attests to the success of the new missions. It is therefore time to tweak the NPC availability as more and more players are complaining about empty seas.

Acting like doomsayers helps nothing at all. It isn't the end of the world and the apocalypse is not coming to the Caribbean.

Setting sail and conducting age of sail experience in the game is what it is about, be it in the Peace or War servers.

A visible thing is undeniable - arena oriented players login for a couple hours in the zone and then logoff having their battle of NA done.

Fair and square and they know best what amount of time they want to dedicate to the game.

Others enjoy the OW sailing with "imminent" unknown, the chances of finding a enemy and engaging - it happens less often than fighting in the zones but it happens nonetheless as there's equal or more players that enjoy OW grand age of sail more than arena.

Thing is... zone is small, so easy to get combat. Map is big so OW aficionados have a bigger "arena" to explore.

Again, naysaying is naught, meaningless, void. Getting to grips with the game is what it is.

This new development phase brought all types of players more to the even table. Access to everything has been made possible to both PvE and PvP crowds. There's no more distinction, especially with the missions, as both can be fulfilled with both forms of combat. Meaning both have access to the same chances of getting drops, equipment, books, etc.

The necessity of having a squadron sailing together is another great feature. No more a distant tagger and a fleet sailing for minutes. No more hiding in port. No more hiding inside a battle waiting to set a amubush with a tagger. So, sail together or risk not being able to enter because "if entire game was 1:1 scale you'd never be there to participate".

There's a lot of AI in where a nation ports meet other nation ports. But you can't expect to be like the old Belize, for example, with enough AI to feed thousands of players across the day in the same spot. Nope. Captains are expected to project sea power, not sit in port waiting for targets.

Capture of 5th rates has filled the gap as well. They are good enough for a casual to go it capture one and then use it. No need for extreme crafting, but if one wants to go to high endgame Conquest, then one is expected to participate more into the game.

Hope the game gets even better in delivering a nice age of sail experience. Even in Peace server the spectacularity of the game is undeniable.

• Like 3

Several clans actually moved to Peace server since they wish for a relaxed, couple hours chatter and shooting guns without any interference. I'm not talking about War server exclusively :) 

No surprise their numbers are missed in the War server, but there's a ton of new blood learning the ropes. No country for old salty vets I guess.

Bla bla bla.

a)Ppl(personally i'm)don't play cause of upcoming wipe. 

b)cause of new b.s. game mechanics.

That's all. It's nonsence to develop a game for 4-5 years(!) and to be hoping to have good online at the same time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Several clans actually moved to Peace server since they wish for a relaxed, couple hours chatter and shooting guns without any interference. I'm not talking about War server exclusively :) 

No surprise their numbers are missed in the War server, but there's a ton of new blood learning the ropes. No country for old salty vets I guess.

sorry but your wrong with his post and the previous ....

there isnt a ton of new blood ... the levels of players in game say so .. unless everyone playing is new

the game  has become even more  long winded and has become  boring ,,,

i logged on yesterday .. left port after  30 minutes .. i hadnt seen another player ... and i hadnt seen any ai  that i could attack with a reasonable chance of surviving ,, plenty of ai fleets but sailing an  endy finding an AI suprise with 10 medium size ships in itS fleet is not an attractive proposition

finally a traders snow apeared attacked it,,,,, 4 iberian pork and 999 reals reward later ... i sailed back and went to  play something else spent 80 mins in game of which only 10 were in battle the rest was staring at empty sea

Im not sure which change has killed the fun ... maybe its a combination

think this  was a niche game to start with .. but  the niche is becoming smaller and smaller

this is the best game ive ever played ...  ive had so much fun ive almost fallen off my chair laughing and also raged as well ..... but the motivation to play has gone with the latest changes ...it seems the same with a lot of other players too ...the balance between the amount of time invested in playing ....to the fun i get out of it ... has shifted so much .. i dont see the point in logging in

its a shame

• Like 11

It is great to read another's player expectations. Refreshing and sobering. Glad not every player plays the game the same way and that is good. Sandbox.

How to bring the population to 3 servers full ? Simple. Give all ships all the time everywhere with full hold of repairs. No need to convolute too much.

Snappy salute.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

It is great to read another's player expectations. Refreshing and sobering. Glad not every player plays the game the same way and that is good. Sandbox.

How to bring the population to 3 servers full ? Simple. Give all ships all the time everywhere with full hold of repairs. No need to convolute too much.

Snappy salute.

Looool

Lots of them wont even know bout such "presents" in game.

Or be like "pfff...sooo what? I dont give a f@#$ at all".

One thing that will help is a release of the game a massive advertisment of NA.

28 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Snappy salute.

lol

the game is far from  sandbox....

i can see why you are moderator .. you have same mindset as devs ... all or nothing ... changes should always swing from one extreme to another .. no one wants all ships full of repairs all the time everywhere ...

just a game that doesnt require a 40  hour week   to play

getting full servers isnt easy ... your suggestion wouldnt work either ... there has to be a balance .. it hasnt been found yet ..

DLC ships were a mistake

the simplified trading and crafting is good ,, but the penatlies that came with it nullified them .. goods dont drop  as they did .... the cost of building ships makes sailing them  not worth the risk ...

its about balance

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Soon, it will be no country for anyone.

Steamcharts shows a decrease of 6% of the game population. And that is after a major patch and after the game being on sales.

the decline in players is greater than 6%  there maybe only a small decrease in numbers logging in.. but its about how long they stay logged in .... i still log in every day .. but its a case of .no one online and logging out again  .. its saturday afternoon and there are 230 players in game ..  it woul have been double that  before the last changes

primetime on an evening is the same

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, rediii said:

allways the same, when RvR dies pvp dies aswell because RvR players sustain the lack of RvR for a bit of time but end up in inactivity after a short while

the question to ask is why has RVR died ....

the answer is .. its too expensive or difficult to replace the ships you might lose ... the time and effort to build a ship is not proportionate to the fun sailing and fighting with it ..

• Like 2

Community was and is the biggest strength of this game. Clans used to pick up every new and old player to integrate them, to be ultimately stronger in PBs or to have a better economy to back it up. This all lost its purpose ever since PBs got so tedious and worthless which slowly killed a lot of clans.

People like Havelock, Sveno or SruPl carried this game so long, most of them gave up recently because of this.

Swedish TS on primetime 2 days ago: There were 10 people online, 4 of them played PUBG. All big clans deserted.

Edited by Ganking Simulator
  • Like 1

RvR in a game with stagnant playerbase is tedious anyway. There is just a percentage of players willing to RvR and at some point you have fought every single player participating in it. You know what to expect, you know your chances to win, all possible metas have been played. The 'new' is just gone and it gets repetitive.

5 minutes ago, rediii said:

no its wrong, we have hundreds of vic marks and several 100k of dubs laying around.

Its too much work to get portbattles for ports that are not worth spending time on.

not the same for all clans ... we certainly dont have hundreds of vic marks or several 100k of dubs

however its not the vic marks or the dubs that are the problem ... its the time spent getting everything in one place ... the labour hours ... the rng factor .. that doesnt motivate players .. and then as you say the prize at the end ... it all becomes meh 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grundgemunkey said:

there isnt a ton of new blood ... the levels of players in game say so .. unless everyone playing is new

the game  has become even more  long winded and has become  boring ,,,

i logged on yesterday .. left port after  30 minutes .. i hadnt seen another player ... and i hadnt seen any ai  that i could attack with a reasonable chance of surviving ,, plenty of ai fleets but sailing an  endy finding an AI suprise with 10 medium size ships in itS fleet is not an attractive proposition

finally a traders snow apeared attacked it,,,,, 4 iberian pork and 999 reals reward later ... i sailed back and went to  play something else spent 80 mins in game of which only 10 were in battle the rest was staring at empty sea

Im not sure which change has killed the fun ... maybe its a combination

think this  was a niche game to start with .. but  the niche is becoming smaller and smaller

this is the best game ive ever played ...  ive had so much fun ive almost fallen off my chair laughing and also raged as well ..... but the motivation to play has gone with the latest changes ...it seems the same with a lot of other players too ...the balance between the amount of time invested in playing ....to the fun i get out of it ... has shifted so much .. i dont see the point in logging in

its a shame

Totally agree. I have had sessions of 9, 10 hours many days, the game was dynamic and It was alive, there were things to do, now I can not stand even one hour, I just look for six rates in hunt missions to get doubloons. Sometimes I see an "enemy" player out there who quickly vanishes. The game in question of players is under minimum, is undeniable, what I do not understand is why they do not realize the devs. It will not be that the players want less hardcore and more dynamism? Rectify is wise. And with confidence that you are.

Edited by Sento de Benimaclet
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rediii said:

Why would it be useless?

What makes you think the enemy has a easier time getting ships to screen you?

the enemy doesnt have it easier ... everyone is in the same position ... thats why no one can be bothered

Thing is, if the game is too easy ppl have nothing to do very fast because its just 1st rate spam against eachother. 

and that is what i was talking about earlier finding a balance ... the devs seem to  go from one extreme to another whithout  consideration to what is attarcting players and what turns them off

they seem to cater to people who have the most extreme views .... in one case they hardcore pvp players ... then they switch to those that like to sail every where and find it exciting to be lost with no idea where they are

there is never any middleground

Edited by Grundgemunkey
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, rediii said:

hello kitty logic :D I disagree with you grundge and thats fine :) 

I still see the problem in the hard work to get a pb going and the low gain from winning one for most ports

i dont think we disagree .. I did say earlier the work involved in getting a pb ship is not worth the fun/ rewards from sailing and fighting it ... maybe your idea of the hard work .. is getting ppl motivated to do the port battle .... all im saying is its hard  to get them motivated ... because of the grind required to build a ship ,,, whether that grind be for vic marks, dubs. labour hours ,,, the materials ... the upgrades ... or probably all of that