Game-Labs Forum

False surrender a xebec only mechanic

Prolog:

Shortly after Sterett had the American colors raised, he had his men open fire upon the Tripolitans at close range with muskets. In response, Tripoli returned fire with an ineffective broadside.[8] The Americans returned fire with their own broadsides, which led Rous to break off the engagement and attempt to flee. Neither able to fight off the American vessel nor outrun her, the Tripolitans attempted to grapple Enterprise and board her. Once within musket range, Enterprise's marines opened fire on the Tripoli, foiling its boarding attempt, and forced Tripoli to try to break away once more. Enterprise continued the engagement, firing more broadsides into the Tripolitan and blasting a hole in her hull.[9] Severely damaged, Tripoli struck her colors to indicate surrender. As Enterprise moved towards the vessel to accept its surrender, the Tripolitans hoisted their flag and fired upon Enterprise. The Tripolitans again attempted to board the American schooner, but were repelled by Enterprise's broadsides and musketry. After another exchange of fire, the Tripolitans struck their colors a second time. Sterett once more ceased firing and moved closer to Tripoli.[10] In response, Rous again raised his colors and attempted to board Enterprise. Enterprise's accurate gunnery once more forced Tripoli to veer off. As the action continued, Rous perfidiously feigned a third surrender in an attempt to draw the American schooner within grappling range. This time, Sterett kept his distance, and ordered Enterprise's guns to be lowered to aim at the polacca's waterline, a tactic that threatened to sink the enemy ship. The next American broadsides struck their target, causing massive damage, dismasting her mizzen-mast, and reducing her to a sinking condition.[11] With most of his crew dead or wounded, the injured Admiral Rous finally threw the Tripolitan flag into the sea to convince Sterett to end the action.[9]

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_1_August_1801

1920px-EnterpriseTripoli.jpg

Suggestion:

Give xebec the option to do a false surrender showing the ship with white flag but as soon as in boarding range to be able to hoist their colors again and to board right away.

Pros:

• More accurrate game mechanics to sim rl

Cons:

• More annoyed people

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

image.png.739c66b75158b66e673381241afd832a.png

Intrepid Sailors: The Legacy of Preble's Boys and the Tripoli Campaign, Chipp Reid

( interesting the focus on rage boarding rather than gunnery )

The false Surrender suggestion is as "unfeasible" as a false flag one.

The Enterprise was flying a British flag at the start of the encounter :P 

This would be not only for the Xebec. But if i am not mistaken and for naval actions that i read when a ship surrenders then if left alone for some time, she just sails away forgeting their surrender, it gave many problems for the captain and nation of this vessels. 

Unless they are pirates and care not at all with such issues, when this happened with a nation, it gave origin to protests and demands for the return of the vessel that surrender and then run away. i Believe the captain of those ships also suffered some penality.

I will try to find the action i remember to read with an example of this, where a french frigate surenders but the action kept going and the british had no means to capture it so soon. the french frigate saw the oportunity to run away after having strike and did so. later the british presented a protest and demanded the ship to be handled to them,

34 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Suggestion:

Give xebec the option to do a false surrender showing the ship with white flag but as soon as in boarding range to be able to hoist their colors again and to board right away.

I think this should be a new DLC :P 

• Like 1

While I mock, there is historical precedent for "un-surrendering" (I believe it happened at "The Glorious 1st of June").  If you surrender you ship and the victor does not come alongside to take possession, you should be able to hoist your colours and 'hie thee away' (run for it).  Would that be hard to code?.......(Trafalgar maybe?)

The tripolitans did not go for a "run for it" because enemy didn't take possession. It was intended for rageboard.

On the "enemy doesn't take possession", like a enemy would not capture the ship but also she wouldn't sink... it is a interesting idea... but how to synchronize with player already exited to outpost without handing out a free ship teleport ( ship runs away )?

1 minute ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

The tripolitans did not go for a "run for it" because enemy didn't take possession. It was intended for rageboard.

On the "enemy doesn't take possession", like a enemy would not capture the ship but also she wouldn't sink... it is a interesting idea... but how to synchronize with player already exited to outpost without handing out a free ship teleport ( ship runs away )?

Simply don't exit till youre sure its over.  I'm sure the un-surrender happened during one of the big battles and on many lesser occasions.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Excellent suggestion!

15 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

Simply don't exit till youre sure its over.  I'm sure the un-surrender happened during one of the big battles and on many lesser occasions.

The Spanish Neptuno crew re-took her during the aftermath storm at Trafalgar....Still researching...The French Achille surrendered at the Glorious 1st of June.  When it became clear that the British were unable to board her, the crew rescinded the surrender and tried to rejoin their fleet.  They were later captured more thoroughly.

Edited by Oberon74

The Le Requin cannot be captured as it is a DLC ship so what would be the point in boarding it if they surrendered if this was a mechanic. People would just use it as target practice till it sank then loot it. So it would not be much of a feature but rather a sign to say "sink me before looting".

1 minute ago, Archaos said:

The Le Requin cannot be captured as it is a DLC ship ...

people still have to get close to "sink" + loot the ship. (surrendered ships dont get damaged ingame)

1 hour ago, Louis Garneray said:

It was common to raise false colors too... There are (for example) a few accounts of French corsaire doing that.

@admin even stated they looked at the concept of doing false flag perk.  Would be great for Pirates and Privateers.  In OW you see them as one nation (the nation they pick for the false flag).  Than when your pulled into battle it shows the true nation of the player. I think it would actually work better as a mod than as a perk so it's not always active.  Have perm mods that you can put on ships to give them false flag.  They can have a cool down or even have them disappear after use/battle.   Though a ship knowledge would also work with a cool down that say after you get out of  battle you have to return to a port to reset it and/or it only resets say after one hour cool down (cause word would be out about a Pirate ship attacking US ship under the US flag).

1 hour ago, Vernon Merrill said:

The Son-of-a-bitch AI tries to do this to me all the time when I try to get close enough to steal its loot right before it sinks!!!!

🤣🤣

Honestly this is more a reason why I have ever used DD cause that last minute pull is retarded from AI.  AI should be set to no board when sinking cause other wise there crew should be tied in board prep and they should be sinking faster with no one in survival.

On a side note i done this in battle that had rage boarding cluster !ucks.  Got out of mine to pull some one stuck and take there ship since every one was pounding on mine while I was in boarding to only find out I won and jumped to the enemy ship.  Than jump to the next enemy ship or go down with that one.    People really need to learn when to turn there prep on for boarding casue 9 times out 10 I win a board cause the other guy never had his prep up.   With that I also think DD should not be active unless you have your boarding prep on.

15 minutes ago, Archaos said:

The Le Requin cannot be captured as it is a DLC ship so what would be the point in boarding it if they surrendered if this was a mechanic. People would just use it as target practice till it sank then loot it. So it would not be much of a feature but rather a sign to say "sink me before looting".

While I wouldn't limit this to one ship, but i can see allowing for what I would call a SOFT surrender.   This would allow trade ships and other ships to surrender to a more powerfull odds.   The other team can than come to your ship and inspect it as if you surrender it and take what they want off it and leave your ship or capture it out right.   Also they can take what they want or just leave you alone and exit the fight. If they exit the fight without sinking you or capturing your ship than you keep it and can go on your marry way.   

How to keep from any abuse is that just like any fight you get no rewards other than xp from damage since you did no assit or kills.  Yes folks can still XP farm a ship this way, but really who cares about XP farming now a days.  It's the marks/gold that shouldn't be allowed to be abused.

Oh and I'll add for the soft surrender you should be able to still hoist your colors or hard surrender (this the battle over and you can't do anything).  I would put a cool down from doing the soft surrender before you can canceal it and hoist colors.   There should be a timer before the ship is ready too so folks aren't doing soft and than return to trick some one suddenly as they close in.  Though honestly I think some one that does a soft surrender should only get the optoin to leave the fight if no one comes to board/inspect there cargo or sink them.   That way some one can soft surrender, let the fighting ships blow past them and if no one stops to inspect they can after the timer leave the fight.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

Just now, Percival Merewether said:

I hate your suggestion, but I cannot help but wonder why this should be Xebec only?

Very specific and documented usage of that particular ruse linked to tripolitans barbary coast corsairs. Given the most similar ship we have in game is the Xebec Le Requin, my guess is that was the reasoning behing it.

@z4ys 

9 minutes ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

Very specific and documented usage of that particular ruse linked to tripolitans barbary coast corsairs. Given the most similar ship we have in game is the Xebec Le Requin, my guess is that was the reasoning behing it.

@z4ys 

Yet multiple examples have been given in this thread of other ships doing the same? Would it not be more sensible to limit its use to pirates rather than the Xebec ship type? I see no particular connection to the Xebec here other than OPs example in the top. I do however feel this is more strongly linked to piracy than a ship type...?

Edited by Percival Merewether

7 minutes ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

@z4ys 

1 hour ago, Zorion said:

...where a french frigate surenders but the action kept going and the british had no means to capture it so soon. the french frigate saw the oportunity to run away after having strike and did so. later the british presented a protest and demanded the ship to be handled to them,

We could even change it to

False surrender a xebec and pirate only mechanic

• Like 1