Game-Labs Forum

Open world UI feedback (2018)

1 hour ago, Teutonic said:

I just hope that we get more information and less unnecessary clicks and "mouseover."  Basically, if more information could be given using less space, that's what I'd like

I agree.  Remove mouse over feature.  Efficient use of space would be better.

2 hours ago, AeRoTR said:

Make that area, south west of the map, the PVE area where rookies learn the game and get ready to real game ;)

we had that discussion already once  and the players from the pve server did not want that.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:35 AM, admin said:

Maybe just Group? or Fleet?

In English, you would say "Invite to group" or "Invite to Fleet". "Invite" is the action word, that is why I suggest using "Invite" instead of "Group/Fleet". But Group/Fleet is better than what it is currently :)

More feedback: 

I think that the "Available Crew" takes up too much space (1/4 of the box) considering there is already a 2nd crew slider. It makes no sense to me why there is 2 sliders for crew. Perhaps they can be combined? 

1109914580_wastedspace.png.d883874a95327a71cef6d189b0aec0d0.png

If the "available crew" slider were combined with the "crew slider" it would free up much more space for repair buttons. I say this because I think the repair buttons are not intuitive enough.

Other UI suggestions:

• There should be a notification saying that "x" side cannot join battle when you are sailing at a distance. Currently you have to sail on top of a battle circle to find out if you can join the battle. 
  • I think the reinforcement icon (above the compass) should be moved to the top left corner with the rest of the cooldown/notification icons
  • Boxes should be more transparent, ideally with a slider to choose amount of transparency 
  • Make boxes able to scale smaller
  • FPS/Ping/Online should be moved somewhere else and should be able to be toggled on/off. It gets in the way of the chat box.
  • Change the damn compass :) 

I don't want to sound like I hate the new UI (I do think it looks great). Just providing feedback.

Edited by Capn Rocko
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:
  • FPS/Ping/Online should be moved somewhere else and should be able to be toggled on/off. It gets in the way of the chat box.

You can troggle it on off already.

image.png.152aaaa52e8adc9c0e27df1cfbefd13f.png

2 hours ago, BoomBox said:

we had that discussion already once  and the players from the pve server did not want that.

You mean the whole 25 or something of them left...lol  Sorry I don't think I ever seen more than 100 on that server.  The game never promised them a server from the start so having there own zone on one server allows Devs to better work on Content for all players on one server.

9 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

Other UI suggestions:

• I think the reinforcement icon (above the compass) should be moved to the top left corner with the rest of the cooldown/notification icons
  • Boxes should be more transparent, ideally with a slider to choose amount of transparency 
  • Make boxes able to scale smaller
  • Change the damn compass :) 

I don't want to sound like I hate the new UI (I do think it looks great). Just providing feedback.

As been said by many above make the box's scaleable.  You can all ready turn the FPS/PING/Online on or off, but I would like to be able to move it or put it on the top left side instead of the bottom where the chat window is at.

Compass needs more ticks on it so I'm with everyone on it being changed, it just seems so bland compared to the old one and other things on the screen.

Bring back grinds on map please.  I would even go as far and say screw the hardcore guys and bring back cords too.  Make it a genareal area not exact pin point.....folks still use F11 to do that so it really didn't change anything remvoing them.   

I haven't been paying attention to the ship icons, but would be nice if they had the info without having to click on them as when your in a fight or about to be your not wanting to scroll over icons to get info.

I like the new interface more and more as I use it.  It's a great step up.

A couple things I've noticed though...

One is the "X" in the upper right corner of each fleet ship when in the fleet (F) window .  It can be misinterpreted as the close window button when it's really the delete ship button.  In my opinion, it should be an X overlaying an image of a broken ship, or perhaps a burning ship.

Another is the older visual state of the compass, chat and clan windows.  I hope they will be skinned to match at some point.

As for the compass in particular...  Please, don't make navigation any easier.  I don't want a new compass with more ticks or one that is easier to read.  Just one that matches the new art would be great.  I'd love to see one be wobbly and move around a lot when turning.  I want it to be more difficult to use and navigate in general.

Can't wait for the port interface.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, qw569 said:

@admin

Why so much space is left below the red line? Do you plan to somehow populate this territory?

20180623152323_1.jpg.4a34fd28de6e0d0b1e7f769dcd2c1442.jpg

11 hours ago, admin said:

the texture must be square to work well :)

11 hours ago, admin said:

the texture must be square to work well :)

Also at one stage the Pacific was to be considered to be part of the game. I think that idea was abandoned though.

A few comments regarding the map:

• I think the "available for all" ports look too much like the free towns at first glance. Also, I liked it better before when the port icon showed the nation who owns the "available for all" ports. Now, there are a bunch of yellow dots on the map that you have to click on to see who owns the port. Kinda annoying.
  • The ports at the edges of the map are impossible to center on the map screen. I suggest extending an "empty ocean" visual to the east of the Swedish and French colonies. That way, the camera can be focused better on the ports that are on the edge of the game map. 
  • Also, I noticed that the protractor is not 100% accurate with the new game map. I set my protractor from Aves to Fort-Royale and ended up north of Saint-Pierre island. 

8 hours ago, Greysteak said:

This is incorrect grammar:  "Only 4 rate allowed class of the ship for this mission"

True, but it has a certain appeal, and it is easy to understand.

My first motorcycle had a little sign on the carb that read "This side up and close fuel cock when lay down bike".  Grammar bad but crystal clear meaning.

FPS/Ping/Online should be moved somewhere else. It gets in the way of the chat box.

----------------------------------

Many images are not Centered, Please fix. Center text first, then center image based on text center. 

VAjBlbi.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------

How it should look

EVC6NcD.jpg

Also, why water is green? Make it light blue. Darker closer to the hull and lighter away from it. 

Edited by Wind
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Macjimm said:

True, but it has a certain appeal, and it is easy to understand.

My first motorcycle had a little sign on the carb that read "This side up and close fuel cock when lay down bike".  Grammar bad but crystal clear meaning.

Product quality dictates sales. 

• When you spot a ship/fleet/battle at sea in the Open world and then click on it, you then have to mouse over the box that appears in the top right of your screen to get further information on the target. Can this be made an option in settings to be a "toggle on/off" so if i click on a target i get all the info straight away without having to hover my mouse over the panel.

• Would also make sense that when i click on a player at sea who is in my clan it tells me the exact ship they are sailing. Would also make sense for this to be true for players of the same nation. (Experienced seamen could tell the ship just by the cut of it's sails while it was still just on the horizon). Not knowing at a glance what your close ally is sailing, who you have sailed with many times just seems wrong to me. 

• Ability to scale the new UI "tabs" (hold/fleet) not only bigger than their default (as already exists) but also smaller would be nice.  Also would be good if possible, to be able to make the player/fleet/battle info panel that appears in top right of screen when you select them in open world smaller.

• The new map, (much better looking than the old) has too similar colours for neutral and free towns and makes it hard to tell the difference.
  • The port icons are also very opaque/washed out (especially when zoomed out). Making them hard to see. Pirate/Prussian ports being the worst affected.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chug said:

Not knowing at a glance what your close ally is sailing, who you have sailed with many times just seems wrong to me. 

Why is the ship type for NPCs displayed but others are not?  Especially friendly ships.  Seems gamey.