Game-Labs Forum

Blame devs for everything

16 minutes ago, Nelsons Barrel said:

Don't be naive. There are always many reasons why players leave. To discuss what is most important and what not of those is just a waste of time as every fix of one reason would improve the situation. Now go on in your pessimistic worldview.

Lol....

You wrote that current reason for low numbers is farming new players. And that is ONE of the reasons..So YOU are naive, just because you assume that other reasons are less important.Which is not true.

Game is boring at the moment. Nothing to do. MAIN REASON. Implement few gimmicks, wipe all XP and money, numbers rise, 6 months later 300 online...

Over and over and over.

And because of such optimistic trashtalkers like you, thinking that some hand of God touches the Developers,and they listen to their playerbase(oops, testers) it will never be better :)

Because you maybe didn`t notice, that for 2 years now, we have all the time always the same discussions. Nothing is better, and it won`t be.

Edited by Fenris

7 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

It's not the players job to maintain the game. Its the devs obligation to protect players from themselves, as been quoted many times, players given the option/ability will optimize the fun out of any game. Whether it be cheats, exploits, playing meta, or playing dirty or cheesy. We play the game presented to us. We don't hold ourselves to a moral obligation to play the game a certain way. We do what we can to win.

Maybe, if it were a multi-million dollar game run by some multi-billion dollar faceless company.

But it's not. There is only a small group of developers and the game has, arguably, become the love-child of a lot of its players (otherwise there wouldn't be so much activity on this forum):

Age Of Sail has always been a somewhat peculiar hobby, similar to model trains. From my side I can only say that I am grateful that there are like-minded people who picked up this topic, turned it into a game and work hard to improve it, update it and keep a forum running. I am glad that I don't have to spend my working days and free-time for this, but that I can just turn the computer and jump into the game. And still have the time to build on my ship-models.

Seeing the comments on the newest patch make me more feel like I am in line at some fast food-chain, surrounded by cackling customers who feel like they don't get what they deserve.

Why is the game losing players? Maybe there are 5000 Age Of Sail hobbyists out who would just love to sail the Caribbean and take selfies with their beautiful ships who were dis-encouraged by 100 die-hard online multiplayer pvp veterans who just want to sink them. Who knows.

Of course it's our behavior which shapes this community and sets the tone.

Edited by Jean de la Rochelle
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Jean de la Rochelle said:

Maybe, if it were a multi-million dollar game run by some multi-billion dollar faceless company.

But it's not. There is only a small group of developers and the game has, arguably, become the love-child of a lot of its players (otherwise there wouldn't be so much activity on this forum):

Age Of Sail has always been a somewhat peculiar hobby, similar to model trains. From my side I can only say that I am grateful that there are like-minded people who picked up this topic, turned it into a game and work hard to improve it, update it and keep a forum running. I am glad that I don't have to spend my working days and free-time for this, but that I can just turn the computer and jump into the game. And still have the time to build on my ship-models.

Seeing the comments on the newest patch make me more feel like I am in line at some fast food-chain, surrounded by cackling customers who feel like they don't get what they deserve.

Why is the game losing players? Maybe there are 5000 Age Of Sail hobbyists out who would just love to sail the Caribbean and take selfies with their beautiful ships who were dis-encouraged by 100 die-hard online multiplayer pvp veterans who just want to sink them. Who knows.

Of course it's our behavior which shapes this community and sets the tone.

Yes I agree with you here but NA at it's heart has always been a competitive game. Even though the skill ceiling isn't that high and mostly consist of how well you can outfit a ship, there's still a degree of fast paced point and click action that you have that influenced how everyone plays.

You can still see this competitive heart in RVR, which from my knowledge hasn't changed from sea trials, 25v25 winner takes all event.

So none of this is unfounded or to be unexpected. Those 100 die-hard competitive players should be given their own playground, not let loose against the noobs and enthusiast. The ultra competitive mindset has poisoned the well for everyone but mechanics like no true safezone, pvp marks, mods, leaderboards are what create it and allow it to grow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Headless Parrot said:

I wonder...if NA had 3000 people playing everyday - how very  different the forums would be, how many issues would disappear and what kind of new rhetoric would ensue. Perhaps we will see one day. Never get 3000 you say? lol I have seen stranger things happen online. Ever hopeful - always Pirate.

there are at least 3000 griefers that would enjoy the game play that is left in the game. Maybe you could get them all to grief each other and call it fun.

So many things have gone bad in the past 2 years that not going to list and wont even remember.  I don't know why but sad.

There well might be hundreds who will never return because Admins excellent community management skills.

Many things done that none who I know would say was requested but was still done.  Everyone without a clue why devs did A or B.  They are clearly listening wrong people if they are listening.

In 2016, was it summer?  Everyone says that the combat is really good and only some balance tweaks to be done.  Today many say it is not any more so good, including me.  Different aspects of combat have lost balance.  Too many changes after people said it was excellent.  Can take long before they get it back in as good balance as it was, can take really long.

What if they had stopped ruining excellent combat?  2 years of pure end game + other content development.  But no?  They had to F up economy as well.  Lets take a really tiny example.  People like subcrafting, they make jokes about chinese child labour.  Who asked to remove XP from child labour?  Minimum to no wages and now without XP?

There was talk that repair kits make the game combat slightly unrealistic.  Community talking that maybe those 2 repair kits are causing some issues, hard to balance with masts and stuff, and we should figure out how to fix this.  Soon devs release patch of unlimited repair kits.  ?.. ? .. !?  .. !!!!1

Many of you who have been here long know that list of things going bad is very long...  Not funny.

We can 100% sure blame devs from all of this.

Naval Action was probably my favorite game all time.  It is not funny watch it dying.

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

5 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Those 100 die-hard competitive players should be given their own playground, not let loose against the noobs and enthusiast. 

Make patrols incompatible with dreadfleets and ganks and you will funnel more competitive guys into that fight club.

There's still the exacerbation of getting ships, reps and guns to the patrol freetowns, but one step at a time...

I could fill half your "100 guys" roster with people I personally know that stopped playing the game due to all the downtime between PvP fun. A few posters deliberately downplays the numbers of fun-loving PvP oriented players that could be re-enlisted to our ranks but won't come because of "moar pve content".

4 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Make patrols incompatible with dreadfleets and ganks and you will funnel more competitive guys into that fight club.

There's still the exacerbation of getting ships, reps and guns to the patrol freetowns, but one step at a time...

I could fill half your "100 guys" roster with people I personally know that stopped playing the game due to all the downtime between PvP fun. A few posters deliberately downplays the numbers of fun-loving PvP oriented players that could be re-enlisted to our ranks but won't come because of "moar pve content".

You mentioned PVE content? Where is it?

Think about it: for the desperation of no decent PVE content in this game also a carabear like me ended up engaging (and of course most of times sinking) in patrol missions!

Edited by victor

21 minutes ago, victor said:

Think about it: for the desperation of no decent PVE content in this game also a carabear like me ended up engaging (and of course most of times sinking) in patrol missions!

no PVE content = no players. 

6 minutes ago, victor said:

Don't know, don't wanna know, don't care. :P

Naw, I've never wanted to take away pve from anyone. Seriously. If you like playing against the computer it's fine by me. I will say that being new to full-loot, full loss sandbox I was shocked and soon livid at the collective psychology thing that makes all but everyone a super timid coward, your's truly not completely excluded.

I know from people's posting here that pve guys aren't happy. But if someone asked me I would say that this game caters to pve dudes and the pure pvp life is a struggle so hard it has caused most of said people to give up on it in spite of them loving the fighting part of the game. I agree with Slim about the pure pvp contingent being "die hard" and possibly, at this point, being a minority.

I have no use for ten thousand pve lovers, but I really want to enable 50 (concurrent) pvp'ers. I don't believe in the least in pve content. admin and gang could spend six months developing pve content and people would burn through it in weeks then cry for more. It's not until you reach PvP nirvana you find endless and engaging content.

37 minutes ago, victor said:

That makes me instinctively happy. What are your feelings on the matter?

2 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Pve is just done because of shiny loot

And then you want to protect and keep that, timidness, ganking and running intensifies and PvP quality and quantity goes down the shitter.

Naval action actually has one of the least toxic communities i have seen overall, not counting niche games that do not have any kind of toxicity whatsoever. The toxicity is mostly just the usual drama and egos.

Red dragon by contrast is pretty much a diluted version of 4chan with it's nazi trolling on the main chat.

And while it is certainly true that a bad community scares away a certain number of players, i cannot think of a game that has died because of it, while i can name a great many that thrive despite their toxic community.

I think that in general game quality player gain and retention outweighs player loss due to toxic communities.

If the toxic community player loss outweighs the player gain and retention then there might be a bigger problem than the community.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

4 hours ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

So many things have gone bad in the past 2 years that not going to list and wont even remember.  I don't know why but sad.

There well might be hundreds who will never return because Admins excellent community management skills.

Many things done that none who I know would say was requested but was still done.  Everyone without a clue why devs did A or B.  They are clearly listening wrong people if they are listening.

In 2016, was it summer?  Everyone says that the combat is really good and only some balance tweaks to be done.  Today many say it is not any more so good, including me.  Different aspects of combat have lost balance.  Too many changes after people said it was excellent.  Can take long before they get it back in as good balance as it was, can take really long.

What if they had stopped ruining excellent combat?  2 years of pure end game + other content development.  But no?  They had to F up economy as well.  Lets take a really tiny example.  People like subcrafting, they make jokes about chinese child labour.  Who asked to remove XP from child labour?  Minimum to no wages and now without XP?

There was talk that repair kits make the game combat slightly unrealistic.  Community talking that maybe those 2 repair kits are causing some issues, hard to balance with masts and stuff, and we should figure out how to fix this.  Soon devs release patch of unlimited repair kits.  ?.. ? .. !?  .. !!!!1

Many of you who have been here long know that list of things going bad is very long...  Not funny.

We can 100% sure blame devs from all of this.

Naval Action was probably my favorite game all time.  It is not funny watch it dying.

Sadly, I think this is the truth.  Where's my instant action flags? Sure it was abused but there was options to tweak it.  Where's my options for pve missions (fleet missions with ai allies, no rate restrictions)? It was great for learning ship sailing characteristics, different loadouts and million other things I'm not thinking of while still making ok money doing it. With a nice, tidy, after action screen with your money, exp, and rewards.

They should set up a server with a March-July 2016 build with the upgraded crafting and ship selection. I'd play.

6 hours ago, Fenris said:

Lol....

You wrote that current reason for low numbers is farming new players. And that is ONE of the reasons..So YOU are naive, just because you assume that other reasons are less important.Which is not true.

Game is boring at the moment. Nothing to do. MAIN REASON. Implement few gimmicks, wipe all XP and money, numbers rise, 6 months later 300 online...

Over and over and over.

And because of such optimistic trashtalkers like you, thinking that some hand of God touches the Developers,and they listen to their playerbase(oops, testers) it will never be better :)

Because you maybe didn`t notice, that for 2 years now, we have all the time always the same discussions. Nothing is better, and it won`t be.

Gee, I bet you are a lot of fun at parties. Talk about salty.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, victor said:

PVP could be funny but it takes way too much time for my taste.

In what way? Does it take a lot of time to get to the area, logistics, hunting? Or do you find the fights themselves take a lot of time?

Even pvp fights sure can take a lot of time, back in the day even without recharging repairs our duels could drag out to almost 90 minutes.

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

In what way? Does it take a lot of time to get to the area, logistics, hunting? Or do you find the fights themselves take a lot of time?

Even pvp fights sure can take a lot of time, back in the day even without recharging repairs our duels could drag out to almost 90 minutes.

But what an intense 90 mins that could be, the ultimate reward and pretty much a nights gaming in one intense chunk.

unfortunately for loads of reasons it feels now like 3 hours of meh.

For instance to get the 90 mins you have to put in at least 2 m-3 hours of PVE.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 11:24 AM, Liang Dao Ming said:

I've seen alot talk during my time here that I see on every mmo game that I have tried. Always the same blaming devs for everything, every player that decides to leave the game it's the devs fault.

Lack of content, game not be newbie friendly enough bla bla.

/knip/

Keep blaming the devs for everything or look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself what you are doing to keep this game going.

game is still in development.

2 people doing the job

what can you expect.

when buying the game most overlooked the first sentence ITS IN DEVELOPMENT SO DON'T EXPECT THE WORLD AT YOUR FEET 

and yeah i am also still waiting for the seven provincien, and that ship seems to have no kheel yet, i do sometimes give a hauler in the desert or at the middle in the ocean , at some point it will be there i already sailed it (in my mind)

just patience is a good friend here and nothing more.

the rest in chat is a lot of bull shit and bla bla ... nothing more.

when i look in the mirror i always think i m  getting older and smile ..nothing more 

lets troll and have fun with it ,.and nothing more.. 

lets see what this day brings :)  I wait

Edited by Thonys

On June 20, 2018 at 4:46 AM, Tac said:

But what an intense 90 mins that could be, the ultimate reward and pretty much a nights gaming in one intense chunk.

unfortunately for loads of reasons it feels now like 3 hours of meh.

For instance to get the 90 mins you have to put in at least 2 m-3 hours of PVE.

That's what the best part was, I did t care if it was a long fight, hell I didn't care if I won. All I wanted was a good intense fight where one mistake would end it.

You can't get that in other naval combat games, certainly not WOW's and now not in Naval Action anymore as well.

Time to turn my coat.  It is not devs nor@admins fault that we have this bad "speeds", nor that the game is in this bad shape.  It is your fault dear community member.

You should have said ages ago that new sailing profile speeds suck.  If you are active player and did not say anything nor try to change their mind, you are not doing your duty as a community member.

It was your responsibility help them to do it right.

I have not been testing and took a break from this forum. Yesterday I started to plan which ship I should sail, my brain started to hurt.