Game-Labs Forum

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Just look at other games like WoT, the easiest way to get higher rank on the leader board is just to go to low tier battles and kill scrubs.

Those are easily spotted by looking at stats, so you'll end up on a list but you'll get ridiculed on wotlabs.

Top clans look closely at such stuff when recruiting. To get in it's better to be good+ at T10 tanks than to be the best at low to mid tiers.

NA leaderboards favors the optimal gank/sharing kills ratio and it's easily gamed. I'm saving my adoration for those that will top the list after duel and small group tournaments.

I'm just a "mediocre raker" (literal quote, Doran) so my NA life is a struggle.

3 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Those are easily spotted by looking at stats, so you'll end up on a list but you'll get ridiculed on wotlabs.

Top clans look closely at such stuff when recruiting. To get in it's better to be good+ at T10 tanks than to be the best at low to mid tiers.

NA leaderboards favors the optimal gank/sharing kills ratio and it's easily gamed. I'm saving my adoration for those that will top the list after duel and small group tournaments.

I'm just a "mediocre raker" (literal quote, Doran) so my NA life is a struggle.

But they have stats we don't so it's not something you can use.  Stats would also tell you about certain other things. If you list top player killed by some one and it's some one no one has ever seen you can tell fast if some one is padding stats with alts and such lol.   Like I said above I would prefer to have a stats list for each char.  Specially if the mods are going to be pushing for folks to join a clan early on in the game.   If I'm going to be recruiting like that I would like to see the players stats too.

9 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

But they have stats we don't so it's not something you can use.  Stats would also tell you about certain other things. If you list top player killed by some one and it's some one no one has ever seen you can tell fast if some one is padding stats with alts and such lol.   Like I said above I would prefer to have a stats list for each char.  Specially if the mods are going to be pushing for folks to join a clan early on in the game.   If I'm going to be recruiting like that I would like to see the players stats too.

Full statistics with various varibles that can filter stats would be nice to see down the road.

10 hours ago, Sir William Hargood said:

If so, level the playing field...remove all mods and upgrades. Or reduce their impact drastically. I have seen ships repair to a level nothing short of miraculous...it simply reduces realism...sorry to say...you cannot deny the huge impact epic skill books or modules have on the game...and the top players know this...

To me there is only one epic skill book left: Art of Ship Handling. One gets it by OW PvE. OR selling pvp marks or gold or other books. Pvp marks are easily to obtain: Nassau patrol: roll out five times in a shop ship, you will get 10+x marks in two hours. I'm pretty sure. Correct me if I'm wrong. One can also buy the marks. Trading, PvE generates money that one can spend on that. 

What's the other epic skill books or permanent upgrades? There would be carta on frigates, some of the elite permas (for which you need to trade, find sealed bottles, do ow PvE, or kill players that use those..) well and that's it. Still one cannot combine all those. And the repair mods are nerfed drastically. For 4-5th rates there is the steel tool box - found in ow PvE. The difference between northern carpenters and basic carpentry tools is 1%. That's nearly nothing. Now a serious question: how hard is it for a mediocre player (like the one u asked Gregory to duel in 4 matches) to obtain 100 marks? That's what carpenter combat reports costs. Say one needs two weeks. Isnt that worth it? 

To your proposal on the four matches: I predict a 4:0 for Greg or any pvp junkee. 

And for the record: I'm totally against rewards for the leaderboard. Not even cosmetical as rare paints will be worth millions (at the current state of gold worth) and only those who get on top constantly - which are basically the same 50 players all over again - will get rewarded. Furthermore ganking will be even more the case, not to talk of farming alts. 

• Like 6

On 4/10/2018 at 1:15 PM, Liq said:

Now that NAL is cancelled .. What about a permanent leaderboard? See what captain sailed what ship how often, time spent in it, what kills he got in it, how often he was sunk... and most importantly show in what odds he got the kills so we can all see the great gankers :D

It seems a good idea at first, however it has issues on second look. I think you should get more respect by killing Ram or this French scélérat Liquicity, than for killing 3 noobs with BR advantage over you. 

I think a PvP rank would be better. It could increase either when you defeat weak players often, or strong players from time to time. It's simpler, and would make players act in a way that creates good gameplay for everyone. 

Edited by vazco

No matter wether there are upgrades ore not. The best will still be the best. Do upgrades make the gab bigger, yes I do belive so. But do ppl more PvP for  reward, don’t think so. Will the casual player do more PvP if we all sail the same ship, not sure of that either. What I do belive is non of us actually have a solution, that will fit the entire playerbase. For a time I argue is ppl just get PvP mark for the fight, win ore lose, they will fight, like in the patrole area, But how many player do we actually see in the patrole area.

14 minutes ago, staun said:

No matter wether there are upgrades ore not. The best will still be the best. Do upgrades make the gab bigger, yes I do belive so. But do ppl more PvP for  reward, don’t think so. Will the casual player do more PvP if we all sail the same ship, not sure of that either. What I do belive is non of us actually have a solution, that will fit the entire playerbase. For a time I argue is ppl just get PvP mark for the fight, win ore lose, they will fight, like in the patrole area, But how many player do we actually see in the patrole area.

it's a lose-lose. The ow has the fun but with no rewards and no objective, patrol zones are the objective with the rewards without ow. It's funny, the devs could mistakenly set the size of the patrol to 1/4th of the map and it would basically be what people want from ow pvp.

1 hour ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

You should not get PvP marks from traders.

And the reason for that being? PvP mark = Player versus Player mark. Now is the aggressor a player? Yes. And is the trader a player? Yes, he indeed is a player aswell. Seems like the PvP mark reward is justified. You can put guns on your trading ship after all... I know some players start to whimper and mewl like infants, when it comes to people attacking trader ships but I am really growing tired of it. It is how the game is meant to be played, otherwise we wouldn't need any trading ships in game and everyone would just be able to teleport their goods around ( or do it safe in the capital zones like we sadly see in game already ).

If the captain of the trader ship gives his vessel up without a fight that is their fault and I see no reason why the attacker should not be rewarded with PvP marks for sinking a trading ship ( which with better economy mechanics should be more important than sinking a warship, depending on the cargo ). The attacker also gives up the trader ship in order to receive the marks - a option that definitely should stay in game, considering how limited dock space is and that some people choose to fight instead of trading for a reason.

I’d like the leaderboard to give a certain notoriety in game. We need a reputation system but in the meantime, for example, PVP leaders should have some sort of designation when you click on them in OW. It just goes to figure that an experienced captain in these waters in the 18th century would have someone on his crew who would recognize it and yell “That is the Dread Pirate Sink-You-All’s ship!”

But, I'm sure that won't happen since removal of names and ship types was implemented so that we can't avoid or plan wisely for a meeting with the killer PVP gods and more of the glorious 1 killing 6 videos that seem to amuse some would not get made.