Game-Labs Forum

Patch 16: Control, Mast and Ship strengths rebalance.

admin

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

I personally think all ships should be without any color.  Players should install their desired colors as they wish only as an option. This way we will see real plank color and wood type. 

I did not think about painting, but the natural wood colour: light one for fir and pine and dark reddish for mahogany for exemple. 

8 minutes ago, Navalus Magnus said:

@admin  Are you serious? I know, it might be a rather minor thing, but we've talked about buffing the Victory (upwind sailing or firepower) and you - as far as i remember - said you'd enhance the Vic in one of these areas. But instead of this you even nerfed her by making her hp and thickness lower than Santi and l'Ocean both!?

Ocean is a lot heavier than Victory
Hp matters but it is not that important

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/226413460
Roll to 38:00 where player sinks a full HP ocean with 1 broadside UNDER waterline. (ocean captains made a mistake and depowered his sails after he got leaks and they all went under water). Ocean sank in 2 mins

• Like 3

1 minute ago, admin said:

Ocean is a lot heavier than Victory
Hp matters but it is not that important

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/226413460
Roll to 38:00 where player sinks a full HP ocean with 1 broadside UNDER waterline. (ocean captains made a mistake and depowered his sails after he got leaks and they all went under water). Ocean sank in 1 min

Yes, but upwind sailing abilities matter!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, admin said:

Hulls were painted, so you could not see in reality. But you generally can find out by shooting it. If you penetrate with ease and structure is falling too - its probably fir fir. 

I see. Were all ships always painted in RL?

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Yes, same here. 

Will you tag to run away ? I doubt you do but...

When you press attack you better mean it ;) Let's see how many defensive tags work from now on.

Control works both ways.

Won't make a difference 

15 minutes ago, Navalus Magnus said:

And imo this should be granted to the weakest 1st rate in terms of firepower and tankyness!

Thus every 1st rate would have it's assets and challenges.

I agree. Maneuverability for a 1st rate is a joke, you simply do not need it. You need tank. 

We should only have these bonuses for 1st rates:

+HP bonus

+Resist bonus

+Crew Defense Bonus 

+Reload bonus

All other maneuverability bonuses should only apply only to 3-7  rates. 

Edited by H2O

7 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

Won't make a difference 

Nothing makes a difference. Pvp just for the sake of PvP so let's meta op anyway :) 

Well... maybe skins do. Red ones go faster.

-_-

( I know i'm sailing the LGV refit and L'Hermione these days so...yeah... )

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

My only question is, why not just enable it for every ship? It's just a silly engagement difference that's going to frustrate people who are trying to learn, and realistically, why should there be a difference between ships with or without bow chasers?

A better question would be to ask why we can't reconfigure most ships to move two top deck cannons from sides to chaser configurations. Most ships had this capability and the lack of front or rear chasers is artificial and rigid whereas in real life these configurations were much more fluid. This would be an interesting crafter choice...

Yes to both of these! 

4 hours ago, NethrosDefectus said:

Why the hell do bow chaser-less ships get control perk?  That's the sacrifice you choose for sailing those ships. The trinc by that logic should have a perk that means any shots taken from behind don't keep you tagged in battle. Seriously, this has got to be the strangest choice you have made in my opinion

But the magic of being right next to an opponent that suddenly vanishes in thin air is better? - control should be placed on all ships..

9 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Nothing makes a difference. Pvp just for the sake of PvP so let's meta op anyway :) 

Well... maybe skins do. Red ones go faster. Pink

-_-

25 minutes ago, blubasso said:

Generally yes.

Paint helped prevent rot and rust. 

While rust isnt a big deal on most sea going ships wood rot is.   Paint acts as a sealer, same reason why most people painted fences and houses made of wood. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Navalus Magnus said:

@admin  Are you serious? I know, it might be a rather minor thing, but we've talked about buffing the Victory (upwind sailing or firepower) and you - as far as i remember - said you'd enhance the Vic in one of these areas. But instead of this you even nerfed her by making her hp and thickness lower than Santi and l'Ocean both!?

I know one way they can balance the Victory with the other 1st rates and a few other ships.   It was the only ship in game that historically actaully carried 42 lb guns even for a short time.  Remove l'ocean 42's and make them use only the 36.  Same with the Santi and any other ship using the 42's that didn't use them and use something more closer to the 36's instead of the 42's.  That way it might not have the biggest broad side, but it carried the biggest guns per say.  I think if I remember right for the 2nd rate this would effect one of the ships and not the other.  I would have to look up the Paval and Bucc's stats though, but i think one should actually be carrying the 36 not the 42's.

@admin Any thought about doing this cause the whole point of bring in the 36's in game cause they where actually used on most of the big ships in place of the 42's.  Right now there stats are so close that there is no reason to use the 36's over the 42's when you have the option. Maybe it's time to remove that option on ships that should have the 36's over the 42's?

Though it was only wiki just checked and the Santi and Bucc are listed as having 36's not 42's....yep should be a good balance change in game and make the guns used more by actual ships that had them.

50 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Victory was always lower HP than Santi/Ocean but had better turn rate and sailing profile.

Actualy Victory had more HP than a Santi for as long as I could remember and I pretty much only Sail a Victory or L'Ocean since wipe (Santi only back before the L'ocean).  

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

7 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

I have read that the historical ships of the same class than the Ocean were considered the finest of their time. Faster than a 74 guns, more maneuverability... And in game we end up with a big fat slow ship. :D:D

it all comes down to perfect wind conditions. When frigs had to reduce sail Sols could shine. Then ofc you can say its the fastest ship during that condition. But ingame we have perfect condition for every ship.

Edited by z4ys

22 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Well... maybe skins do. Red ones go faster.

-_-

Dude your I'm just going to keep saying stuff until I have the last word 

52 minutes ago, blubasso said:

Yes, except in the 17th Century and earlier they were more often tarred and varnished.

I know one way they can balance the Victory with the other 1st rates and a few other ships.   It was the only ship in game that historically actaully carried 42 lb guns even for a short time.  Remove l'ocean 42's and make them use only the 36.  Same with the Santi and any other ship using the 42's that didn't use them and use something more closer to the 36's instead of the 42's.  That way it might not have the biggest broad side, but it carried the biggest guns per say.  I think if I remember right for the 2nd rate this would effect one of the ships and not the other.  I would have to look up the Paval and Bucc's stats though, but i think one should actually be carrying the 36 not the 42's.

Problem is, the 36 was in French pounds. IIRC the ball was like a few ounces lighter than an English 42-pdr.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

@admin Any thought about doing this cause the whole point of bring in the 36's in game cause they where actually used on most of the big ships in place of the 42's.  Right now there stats are so close that there is no reason to use the 36's over the 42's when you have the option. Maybe it's time to remove that option on ships that should have the 36's over the 42's?

Though it was only wiki just checked and the Santi and Bucc are listed as having 36's not 42's....yep should be a good balance change in game and make the guns used more by actual ships that had them.

Actualy Victory had more HP than a Santi for as long as I could remember and I pretty much only Sail a Victory or L'Ocean since wipe (Santi only back before the L'ocean).  

Actually the french pound was heavier than the british and as such the french 36pds cannon was actually closer to the british 42pds.. While I agree that ingame the 36pds should be able to be placed on all ships, it makes no sense to limit the other first rates unless we recalculate all weights to the same baseweight.. The british 9-pds cannon was for example only an 8 pounder in french ships..

On 2/3/2018 at 8:02 PM, admin said:

forgot to add this this patch.. sorry guys

will add next one. time will increase significantly, distance slightly, speed difference will be slightly reduced.. 

Was sinking time/ loot range increased with this patch?

10 minutes ago, z4ys said:

it all comes down to perfect wind conditions. When frigs had to reduce sail Sols could shine. Then ofc you can say its the fastest ship during that condition. But ingame we have perfect condition for every ship.

Another issue - at least for the 3rd rates, was that many SoLs main gundeck had to be closed off in certain weather conditions, in general the frigates main gundeck (and during the 18th century most frigates only had one gundeck thx to french influence) was higher from the waterline and therefore more often in use.

42 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

Actually the french pound was heavier than the british and as such the french 36pds cannon was actually closer to the british 42pds.. While I agree that ingame the 36pds should be able to be placed on all ships, it makes no sense to limit the other first rates unless we recalculate all weights to the same baseweight.. The british 9-pds cannon was for example only an 8 pounder in french ships..

But we have 36 lb french guns so why aren't they on the Bucc's as an option too?  The Santi though is listed as having 36 lb (38.8 British lbs) not 42 and I assume this isn't french lbs as it's a Spanish ship.  Like I said it should be used to balance them out some so that not every ship has the same guns or lay out.  If you want the fast lighter guns you go for one ship, if you want the heavy hitting cannons you can go for the other.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_ship_Nuestra_Señora_de_la_Santísima_Trinidad

The only reason I assume the Santi also had the 42's at that time was cause they where the only two 1st rates in game.  

The british navy used the 32's though on there SOL's.   Inresting find when I was looking up the cannons and ships.

http://www.victory1744.org/thecannon.html

Maybe the 42's where not on the ship after all that we have in game as this was the Victory before the current one we have in game.  Though with the NYE cannons in game it would be interesting to see some other variations of cannons put into game as special rewards or buys.