Game-Labs Forum

Patch 14: Part 1 experimental patch increasing realism in ship behavior

admin

4 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Same. Funny how much games push us to learn and research. Love history games.

Was always a airplane man, but... wings are sails :D and rudders are rudders.

Doesn't completely work with tanks though, tracks don't really work the same way as sails.

OW Drift as a result of currents would be cool on the realism front.
Not so much on the part of sailing to a point on the map, or implementing it in coding.

Edited by Yngvarr
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Thanks for making the bucentaure so useless compared to other downwindsailers like locean or santi. Constant speed in battle 45° upwind is 2kn, locean is twice as fast.

The turnrates are too fast to balance the ships right would be my guess overall.

Buc is 2nd rate = Pavel = Barfleur (Soon) Don't compare them to 1st rates, they got more sails. We are testing patch, tuning , providing feedback and repeating. 

Edited by George Washington

2 hours ago, Yngvarr said:

So we can use sidewards drift to get closed to a sunk vessel to loot it (if the situation requires it)

Yeah, this is the most important effect of leeway (side force): drifting sideways downwind when maneuvering at low speed. Much easier to reach a goal just leeward of you.

Is that how it will be implemented? Sideways drifting at low speeds? Because leeway will be very very small for a weatherly ship that is sailing along at 6 knots with all sails full. It's when the sails start luffing that you sag to leeward. Although many ships just make a lot of leeway because of their hull design.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, maturin said:

Yeah, this is the most important effect of leeway (side force): drifting sideways downwind when maneuvering at low speed. Much easier to reach a goal just leeward of you.

Is that how it will be implemented? Sideways drifting at low speeds? Because leeway will be very very small for a weatherly ship that is sailing along at 6 knots with all sails full. It's when the sails start luffing that you sag to leeward. Although many ships just make a lot of leeway because of their hull design.

If the nautical jargon was any thicker, it might've well just been Chinese to me.

But i still understand :P

Edited by Yngvarr
  • Like 1

Can’t wait to get out of work and get home to try these absolutely necessary changes. I’m sure that when I log in, the EU server will have 2000 people online and 1000 in the global server. These were the changes and new content everybody was waiting for. 

Since the expression “Fake News” is used a lot nowadays, i’m gonna start using one for these developers. 

“Fake Content”

2 minutes ago, Cortez said:

Not quite sure what this means. Anyone can explain?

If I had to guess, because the Mainmast is so close to the pivot point of most ships it will not provide as much turning force as before. I'm pretty sure prior it was providing way more rear force than it's actual position would imply.

Edited by TheHaney

3 minutes ago, TheHaney said:

If I had to guess, because the Mainmast is so close to the pivot point of most ships it will not provide as much turning force as before. I'm pretty sure prior it was providing way more rear force than it's actual position would imply.

Not only "bricked" in OW , but with turning the same. Maybe because mine is Live Oak made? Never saw her turning that bad since yesterday.

2 minutes ago, TheHaney said:

I've got a LO and a Teak Aggie and they both turn wonderfully. If I have the wind I'm out-turning some heavier frigates.

Teak WO for me and she handles very well just have to constantly be using manual sail but thats not bad it puts you more in control and lets you really spin these ships now

14 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

One question guys.

If I play manual sailing as always, am I missing or doing something wrong?

basically, your ship will loose much  more speed when turning against the wind and you will face the risk that the ship will stop and start turning going backward.

Edited by victor

32 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

One question guys.

If I play manual sailing as always, am I missing or doing something wrong?

I may be full retard but using the Indiaman manual sail with the wind is better but against the wind it's like it doesn't work

For the record I am not the best manual sails person

28 minutes ago, Custard said:

I may be full retard but using the Indiaman manual sail with the wind is better but against the wind it's like it doesn't work

For the record I am not the best manual sails person

Strange: according to what Devs said, the indiaman should not have been changed in its sailing behaviour.

Edited by victor

9 hours ago, admin said:

Hello Captains

While programmers are working on the tutorial and the user interface we will address the long overdue Battle ratings, combat performance and sailing performance of the vessels in the series of patches.

This patch is first part of the final ship performance rebalance and addresses sailing performance of ships of the line (from 4th rates to 1st rates). The goal is to bring more realism into sail curves and yard power. 1000-1200 square meters of sail of the fore mast on the first rate should provide enough side force, allowing amazing realistic maneuvers and more options in combat.

How can you achieve "balance" and "performance" when you have over a dozen "upgrades" and wood builds that change all of these stats? 

Upgrades - both in the manner of acquiring them and the meta that they create - unbalance any small tweaks and changes made and further isolate the casuals from the hardcores. 

• Like 2