Game-Labs Forum

Server Merge Poll

Galt

Server Merge Poll  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Would the captains, from both servers, be in favor of a server merge?

• Yes, but with no restrictions on port battles
    • Yes, but with time restrictions on port battles
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/21/2017 at 05:00 AM

2 hours ago, Christendom said:

Merge is coming amigo.  Get ready!

No it is not senorita.. But answer me this please:

What is wrong with giving people choices? - And is the current numbers not in itself a better evidence of the unpopularity of any semblance of global server than any poll could show?

#Stopcryinglikeachildbecauseofasituationthatyouyourselfbroughtuponyouandallyourmates-takeresponsibilityandmakeglobalaserverpeoplewouldactuallyliketologintoratherthanjustgopiratewhenthegoinggotthoughliketherestofthecowards

And there is one more big item.  Because there are a number of smaller clans now, there has to be a way that they can take and hold a port or as we have seen on the Global server, one group becomes dominant and nothing changes.  Here is what I think works.  AI defended neutral ports can remain the same.  However, if a clan holds a port they can choose the number of players for that port battle.  For example, clan a holds a port and decides the defense will involve either 10, 15 or 25 ships.  This scaled up way of doing it gives smaller clans a fighting chance to take and hold ports.  Right now the biggest factions rule because they bring 25 ships and a full on screening fleet, not really doing the game and the people who chose to be in the smaller clans any favors.  The game has to have a more even way of keeping those who chose Poland, Prussia or Russia a way to hold their own.

And while I am at it, lets make the game clan based and not nation based, let the players decide who they want to ally with in an open way.  But I will take the clan merge and the scaled up port battle for now.  Don't want to be greedy. 

14 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

What is wrong with giving people choices? - And is the current numbers not in itself a better evidence of the unpopularity of any semblance of global server than any poll could show?

#Stopcryinglikeachildbecauseofasituationthatyouyourselfbroughtuponyouandallyourmates-takeresponsibilityandmakeglobalaserverpeoplewouldactuallyliketologintoratherthanjustgopiratewhenthegoinggotthoughliketherestofthecowards

Your hashtag is far too long to trend.

I wasn't given a choice on where to play if I wanted to do RVR despite being a member of the EU server for over a year.  

The name of this thread and vote options could be tweaked.

POLL:  Remove the PvP Global server?

VOTE:

1) No, allow players a choice of two servers
2) Yes and wipe out all of the PvP Player assets on both servers.
3) Yes but allow Global Players to transfer their assets and XP to PvP Euro.

seriously though be carfull what you wish for ....

35 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Your hashtag is far too long to trend.

I wasn't given a choice on where to play if I wanted to do RVR despite being a member of the EU server for over a year.  

Ofc you were - you could keep to a global concept (which is the one that failed) or you could go to a regional server with PB timers that were inconvenient for you, but very convenient for the europeans.

The larger question still remains unanswered. Why is EU players sticking to the game (roughly 400-500 online in peak hours), while global players are leaving? - The answer is fairly obvious and it has nothing to do with the manner the two servers were set up after the wipe. People chose not to be on a 20/7 server.

54 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

They are false choices for most of us.

13 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

Ofc you were - you could keep to a global concept (which is the one that failed) or you could go to a regional server with PB timers that were inconvenient for you, but very convenient for the europeans.

The larger question still remains unanswered. Why is EU players sticking to the game (roughly 400-500 online in peak hours), while global players are leaving? - The answer is fairly obvious and it has nothing to do with the manner the two servers were set up after the wipe. People chose not to be on a 20/7 server.

not enough people to generate content.  Cmon man, you're smarter than this.

3 minutes ago, Christendom said:

not enough people to generate content.  Cmon man, you're smarter than this.

Whos fault is that? - The global had nearly the same starting numbers as the EU server and yet it has deteriorated to the point where less than 100 ppl are online. Why is that? Come on man.. You're smarter than that.

- Either it's because global is a failed idea.

- Or global players are insanely toxic.

I'm putting my money on reason number one, but I can't rule out reason number two..

Edited by Guest

OK @Bearwall @Intrepido @Mikocen etc... what is your solution?  The financial viability to having two underpopulated servers seems unlikely.

So I put this question to you guys, suggest a way to solve these two items.

1.  European (Easter AND Western), American, Oceanic and Asian players to be able to participate in RVR during their respective prime times. 

2.  Players do not have to worry about losing their ports at 3 am, or noon on a work day of their respective timezone.

Suggestions have been made and laughed away.  What is your suggestion?

27 minutes ago, Atreides said:

OK @Bearwall @Intrepido @Mikocen etc... what is your solution?  The financial viability to having two underpopulated servers seems unlikely.

So I put this question to you guys, suggest a way to solve these two items.

1.  European (Easter AND Western), American, Oceanic and Asian players to be able to participate in RVR during their respective prime times. 

2.  Players do not have to worry about losing their ports at 3 am, or noon on a work day of their respective timezone.

Suggestions have been made and laughed away.  What is your suggestion?

No real solution has been proposed, but since I consider the regional servers as not only the best solution, but the only viable solution, it's really up to the "mergers" to come up with a solution. And please reread all the many, many, many frantic threads that exists with different nuances of the same poor suggestions.

EDIT: And I believe that the game will exist with the most viable solution.

Edited by Guest

So the only suggestion you have is run several servers.  In your OPINION the other suggestions are "poor ones".  But you don't have anything to add except "Keep doing it this way"

Well, there it is.

Oddly enough both of you guys have no problem playing Naval Action: Forum Battles in American prime time.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Atreides said:

So the only suggestion you have is run several servers.  In your OPINION the other suggestions are "poor ones".  But you don't have anything to add except "Keep doing it this way"

Well, there it is.

Oddly enough both of you guys have no problem playing Naval Action: Forum Battles in American prime time.

Wether we're playing in one timezone or another is irrelevant for the topic at hand. The fact is - nightflips crashed the playerbase and if they are reintroduced the european players will simply leave. This will not salvage the global playerbase, but just ruin the EU server.

Basically - the question that you keep ignoring is: Why is EU server at 400-500 players in primetime, while global is at 100? - They both more or less started with the same numbers, and the starting hick-ups cannot in itself explain the massive loss of players in global. Are global toxic and unable to play nice with eachother? Or is it that global was/is/always will be a bad idea?

Do you guys even read, this has been answered so many times before.  Ignore the opinion and simply read what was said in this very thread.  Here, I will Bold Face the relative info:

On 10/16/2017 at 11:11 PM, Christendom said:

The population numbers were low well before the night flips.  You know it, I know it.  The fine woods patch tanked this game.  Despite all these magical EU players quitting the game over night flips and huge population surge you saw at start of the great wipe, you're still back down to the same population levels you had during the night flips.  Stop using the US players as a scapegoat for everything wrong with this game.

Wanna know why this game lost so many players....In particular US based players?  @admin asked this question last week in a thread.  Both servers had timer restrictions that did not allow any US player to do conquest past 9pm EST time for over a year.  This was on PVP 1 and 2.  More US players quit because they were unable to do conquest in their primetime for almost a year.  The excuse given was because of server maintenance 6 hours away.  This simple oversight made far more players quit than the night flips.  No one seems to give a shit about it though.  

The US player base has been getting the shaft left and right for over a year by the EU players and the Dev team.  You don't seem too concerned.  

2 minutes ago, Atreides said:

Do you guys even read, this has been answered so many times before.  Ignore the opinion and simply read what was said in this very thread.  Here, I will Bold Face the relative info:

I fail to see the relevance. Answer my question please:

18 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

Wether we're playing in one timezone or another is irrelevant for the topic at hand. The fact is - nightflips crashed the playerbase and if they are reintroduced the european players will simply leave. This will not salvage the global playerbase, but just ruin the EU server.

Basically - the question that you keep ignoring is: Why is EU server at 400-500 players in primetime, while global is at 100? - They both more or less started with the same numbers, and the starting hick-ups cannot in itself explain the massive loss of players in global. Are global toxic and unable to play nice with eachother? Or is it that global was/is/always will be a bad idea?

The reason for the rapid die off of players just dropping the game altogether on global shortly after the server split is clearly explained.  This deprived Global a sustained growth from its largest market until the devs finally fixed the problem. THAT IS THE RELEVANCE.

I am going to take the question seriously, and answer it earnestly.

Global pop started at around 300, and peaked around 400.  Currently is averages around 150-200, have seen it almost 300 in the last week.  Euro started at I think 400 and peaked at 900, but is around 400-500 now.  So taking those numbers euro is slightly up, while Global is slightly down.  The variance in server peak is a factor in these calculations.  Euro server has a pronounced peak for about 6 hours, the drops quickly to the same level Global stays at AROUND THE CLOCK.  Global ebbs and flows throughout the day and night.  But if you look at the population numbers overall, using an average of around the clock population on each server, the amount of increased population on EU vs Global is significantly reduced compared to Global.  EU has a single tidal wave that disappears after 6 hours, whereas Global has numbers with several crests.  Just now there are 107 on global, but only 82 on EU.

That was an answer to a specific question regarding population numbers.  This thread is about the overall retention of players in a server that provides content for all.  Please don't conflate the two, they are separate topics. 

1 hour ago, Intrepido said:

And if you want to move the server maintenance, why are you asking for a serve merge?

We have the same server maintenance as global. 

I wouldnt care if it happen a bit more early in the morning.

Wasn't maintenance earlier in the morning when US players were affected?

A maintenance time when no one is affected, a server location where everyone has decent ping, and a working round-the-clock conquest system - a bunch of pipe dreams.

PVP players will migrate where the action is.  If they perceive that EU has better numbers and better action then they will go there and leave Global.  That's why EU goes up while Global goes down.  We've already discussed ping, and it does limit people on EU but many Global players like me have just fine ping so it's not a deterrent.  Some players will faithfully stay on one server but for the rest they will shift when it's convenient.

Overall numbers drop also shortly after the latest patch is tested, happens every time, because players have seen what they want to see.  If there was continual content being added you wouldn't see that happen to such a degree as it happens now.

Both of those dynamics will never change, they are part of how people act in general.  Thinking that a server merge will change that is not very perceptive.

19 hours ago, Christendom said:

Because that population of 500 has proven to slowly trickle away and eventually even out to around 300/350 and continue to lose steam....as we saw with the end of the patch before the great wipe and just recently before the "clan" patch ( I don't remember the numbers).  500 is not a sustainable number for long, as history has dictated.  

There is also another player base to think of, one that's consistently been getting the shaft from the devs even though they purchased the bulk of the copies.  Saying that just because one base is happy the other should suffer is selfish and small minded.  That short term thinking is exactly why the game is in it's current state of development.  Luckily the most recent couple of patches seemed to have more big picture thought behind them and I for one see some light at the end of the tunnel.  

A merge will happen at some point.  It doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint to run and maintain 3 low pop servers.  It also makes more sense that a game in testing has adequate numbers to you know... test.  People need to realize this isn't the final form of Naval Action.  Ports, timers, flips....don't matter.  All will be reset as it's been in the past.   

TBH it's quite some time that - during the evenigs - i see about 500 players online.

And, please, just stop preaching about what we (or the devs) "need to realize" or complaining about the supposed "selfishness" or "small mind" of PVP EU players, when it's clear that you show exactly the same attitude: you basically propose a merge with a set of rules that will spoil the game of a majority just to satisfy the needs of the minority you belong to.

So - basically - you are at least as selfish and as small minded as we are, if not even more (because at least - with our timelocks - were able to keep our community alive in our server, while you - with your rules - weren't).

Edited by victor

7 minutes ago, admin said:

just in case you all were wondering..
we have not given up on the thought to find the option to just have one big server ( meaning merging all three into one)

maybe an answer is to spit the map  put a line throught the middle of the map .. to the east of the line port battles can only take place between 12noon gmt and 2359 and to the west between 2359 and 12 noon .. each nation has a capital area in either time zone

players can then play in the time zone that suits them .. the map will become more diverse  instead  of nations clustering around their current positions

also there would be those players with an overlap that can play in both time zones

Edited by Grundgemunkey