Game-Labs Forum

Server Merge Poll

Galt

Server Merge Poll  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Would the captains, from both servers, be in favor of a server merge?

• Yes, but with no restrictions on port battles
    • Yes, but with time restrictions on port battles
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/21/2017 at 05:00 AM

23 minutes ago, Rickard said:

that would at the moment be the best option due to the population of the game.

I don't think so. There is a reason why in nearly every multiplayer game servers are divided between NA, EU and some more categories. You can think about it, and when you will discover an answer, then back to this topic. (Ping is not the only reason, but is important aswell)

20 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

maybe an answer is to spit the map  put a line throught the middle of the map .. to the east of the line port battles can only take place between 12noon gmt and 2359 and to the west between 2359 and 12 noon .. each nation has a capital area in either time zone

players can then play in the time zone that suits them .. the map will become more diverse  instead  of nations clustering around their current positions

??? So where is difference between 2 servers and your idea? That i will be able to gank American players during night, or what? So maybe lets make map smaller, because then result would be moreless the same

Edited by Mikocen
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

maybe an answer is to spit the map  put a line throught the middle of the map .. to the east of the line port battles can only take place between 12noon gmt and 2359 and to the west between 2359 and 12 noon .. each nation has a capital area in either time zone

players can then play in the time zone that suits them .. the map will become more diverse  instead  of nations clustering around their current positions

too large timechunk, daytime flips galore. Also this would isolate nations, not being really able to fight other nations with holdings outside their timezones.

15 minutes ago, admin said:

just in case you all were wondering..
we have not given up on the thought to find the option to just have one big server ( meaning merging all three into one)

I really think that concept you had of the PvE zone in the Gulf was a really good concept.  I'm sorry you never promised them the whole server after all, just that after release there will be a PvE server.   We all ready have the safe zones testing right now, if some one wants to PvE in safety they have to play a nation in those zones.  

As for solution for EU/GLOBAL merger why don't you do a real in game poll of what the players want on both servers. I bet you you might get a different response than a bunch of us load mouths on the forums or at least we will get a more acrruate of the player base. I'm going to bet the majority players really don't care about RvR and just happy to do there daily thing what ever it is.  It seems only a few ELITE players can't stand others playing when they are not online.  WHy should you care what happens to other ports if they have restricted timers so folks can only attack your clans ports in times when you can defend.

The other thing that poll might help you with is if you can find out why your have such a dad retention rate of the folks you have the majority of your games sales. I know my answer has been brought up int here (the fact it took 4 months to fix port battle lock out timers on GLOBAL among other things).   I would also look at putting the server in a location for the majority of the players can have the best ping over all.  

Don't listen to a few on either side of this, you need to get the info from the majority of the players and see what they want.  We are only about 10% of the game population on these forums.  Just remember your not going to make every one happy, but you need to figure out what you wan and stick to those things.  You keep trying to please every one and it's not always a good thing when you do.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cornelis Tromp said:

too large timechunk, daytime flips galore. Also this would isolate nations, not being really able to fight other nations with holdings outside their timezones.

ok keep eu pb timezones as they are  in east and have western pb timers at  a sutable time for us players ..

if the say the majority of current french players only play in eu time at the moment  having the opportumity to cross time zones may encourage more players to join france in the us timezone .. as i said each nation gets its own capital area in each timezone ..if your a eu timezone player why would you care about what happens on western side of map ..

A server merge will not make more people play this game.  The higher pings that will affect some of the current players will make them quit the game and put NA into a death spiral.  Content should be fresher, the UI improved and things like paints and ship customizing added and the rules of the game set--- these things might attract new players with a new advertising PR campaign.

A merge would only make a few players happy in the short term but in no way attract and retain new players. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, admin said:

we have not given up on the thought to find the option to just have one big server ( meaning merging all three into one)

Yes you're right - let's kill of the EU server to save the global... #Globalfail

28 minutes ago, Rickard said:

that would at the moment be the best option due to the population of the game.

You're right - there's no time like the present to kill a game.

10 minutes ago, Sparkydog said:

A merge would only make a few players happy in the short term but in no way attract and retain new players. Just my 2 cents.

One thing I've learned since playing online games. Its all about the vocal minority. I've just come to expect it. Im enjoying the game as it is. I will leave when im bored. Im sure most people are the same way. People leave games because of content, or lack there of.. When its no longer fun. I lurk here a lot and have noticed most of the complaints are from people that are "uninstalling if..." Or "I'm not playing anymore because of.." I view it like WoT with this whole EU vrs Global crap. If you've ever played WoT. The people in Europe where the "elite" and people in middle east and africa are "scrubs" .. No different here. All E-Egos... Whatever.. Merge... Don't merge... I don't care. As long as the game is fun.

*edit for typos

Edited by Khyron
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sparkydog said:

A server merge will not make more people play this game.  The higher pings that will affect some of the current players will make them quit the game and put NA into a death spiral.

Because the 100ms ping is gamebreaking... right... I just forget that before they split up we had AUSEZ and all the american players on the now called EU server... right. /s

39 minutes ago, admin said:

What is the proposed capacity of the "one big server?

Would you reinstate multiple servers if the population increases into the thousands?   Or would the "one big server" be limited to a couple thousand players?

On 10/16/2017 at 11:26 PM, Liq said:

Thats not how polls work

Im for a merge but with time restrictions. But then this also means that the group of players playing on global enjoying it the way it is will get pissed off because they cant do PBs anymore.

So the best solution seems like to make some sort of char. transfer service for those who want and agree on limited times for PBs.

True. I forgot to vote for restriction ;';

5 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I really think that concept you had of the PvE zone in the Gulf was a really good concept.  I'm sorry you never promised them the whole server after all, just that after release there will be a PvE server.   We all ready have the safe zones testing right now, if some one wants to PvE in safety they have to play a nation in those zones.  

Anyone who plays PVE only paid the same price for this game as anyone who paid for PVP only, or anyone who paid for both.  Locking a group into any part of the map is cheating them of their purchase.  I can't tell by your statement whether you are standing by that or not, but I'm sick of any PVP elites telling others to go play somewhere else.  To those elitist close-minded players I would say go screw yourself.

How hard would it be for devs to turn on a switch preventing attack of a PVE player, if PVE server were merged in?  Seems we already do that, so not hard at all.  Simply make an invisible infinite timer on attacking those players (23 hours really until server maintenance).  The only thing that would differ would be with RVR taking place, ports would shift in power, unlike today on the PVE server where they are stable and unchanging.  A merge in that case would be somewhat of a change but still allow for total PVE on the whole map for those who wish it.  The thing would be you would have a player choice that requires you to remain PVE, you couldn't switch.  Such a configuration might actually be helpful for the economy because a lot more player generated economics would happen.  No way to really feel that out without testing it though.

Edited by Jean Ribault

1 minute ago, Jean Ribault said:

Anyone who plays PVE only paid the same price for this game as anyone who paid for PVP only, or anyone who paid for both.  Locking a group into any part of the map is cheating them of their purchase.  I can't tell by your statement whether you are standing by that or not, but I'm sick of any PVP elites telling others to go play somewhere else.  To those elitist close-minded players I would say go screw yourself.

How hard would it be for devs to turn on a switch preventing attack of a PVE player?  Seems we already do that, so not hard at all.  Simply make an invisible infinite timer on attack (23 hours really until server maintenance).  The only thing that would differ would be with RVR taking place, ports would shift in power, unlike today on the PVE server where they are stable and unchanging.  A merge in that case would be somewhat of a change but still allow for total PVE on the whole map for those who wish it.  The thing would be you would have a player choice that requires you to remain PVE, you couldn't switch.  Such a configuration might actually be helpful for the economy because a lot more player generated economics would happen.  No way to really feel that out without testing it though.

please no pvp-flag on a pvp server - you shouldnt be able to dictate when you're ready to get engaged - ganking is part of an MMO, especially on an age of sail MMO

Safezones should be enough protection and recovery area

2 minutes ago, Liq said:

please no pvp-flag on a pvp server - you shouldnt be able to dictate when you're ready to get engaged - ganking is part of an MMO, especially on an age of sail MMO

Safezones should be enough protection and recovery area

You misunderstand.  a permanent PVE flag, not a PVP flag.  Such a player could not PVP at all.  You cannot in any way attack that player right now, so how does that bother you in any way?  The only way you even see that player is to log into the PVE server now, and you still can't attack them.

A PVP player can always be engaged, if that player selected his character to be PVP.

Edited by Jean Ribault
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

You misunderstand.  a permanent PVE flag, not a PVP flag.  Such a player could not PVP at all.

ahh alright 

However this sounds quite abusable by alts. But yeah, that could work I guess.

And those PvE marked players are still sailing on the same open world and can collect information etc. 

Seems tricky.

Edited by Liq

Just now, Liq said:

ahh alright 

However this sounds quite abusable by alts. But yeah, that could work I guess.

However, those PvE marked players are still sailing on the same open world and can collect information etc. 

Seems tricky.

Well I thought of alts while I posted that.  But honestly, if alts are allowed (they are) then you can create a PVE only alt if you like.  You paid for the game again to do so, so why shouldn't you be able to log in as a PVE player if you like.

The one abuse might be spies.  But I can't really tell if that's an abuse or just smart gameplay.