Game-Labs Forum

Unity 5 and what can we expect from it?

I'm not the most computer literate guy out there, but seeing the devs talk about unity 5 makes me wonder.

What does unity 5 really mean to the future of NA, and is it really worth the potential delay it will cause switching to it?

• Like 4

Going to proper 64 bit system would let the game be way more optimized than it is now or ever would be on current Unity.   They can add more ships and items. I think they have mentioned they have hit there in game object limit and had to remove some ships to add other things.   A lot more control over things they can put in detail wise in game.   I'm sure some one more computre sazzy than myself will come along and add more, but it's a good thing.  Really surprised it wasn't in the works as Unity 5 has been out a while.

• Like 6

I remember RUST made the change, and it performed better and looked better and IIRC the object limit increased before things got laggy on the server, with that said, the change to Unity 5 was a long process so id expect the same here, with that said, no clue how it would translate in NA, never used Unity 4 myself(well i have, but a long time ago and only smaller projects)

• Like 2

Sir Texas Sir, thanks so much for the video clip. It led me down a path of videos that has greatly increased my knowledge and appreciation of open world games and how they are made. I didn't know what engine this game was using, looks like Unity 5 would be a great move.     

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Justme said:

I'm not the most computer literate guy out there, but seeing the devs talk about unity 5 makes me wonder.

What does unity 5 really mean to the future of NA, and is it really worth the potential delay it will cause switching to it?

To be frankly?

Nothing, 64bit version was introduced in Unity 3 if I good remember.

We cant have more ships without an engine upgrade. That alone is reason to upgrade. Dont forget all the optimization we will get as a result. 

Its not a true, upgrade to the new engine version is only an OCASTION, not a reason for migration to 64 bit. Of course, its a very good news, but dont expect the revolution for the gameplay. It will not solve any design issue. Its only an open gate for further possible changes.

Edited by Rychu Karas

10 hours ago, Rychu Karas said:

To be frankly?

Nothing, 64bit version was introduced in Unity 3 if I good remember.

unity  4 itself is a 32bit app. It can build 64 bit apps but it itself cannot work properly anymore due to the volumes of assets.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Justme said:

Expect the worst as usual. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, koltes said:

@admin does it means 50 vs 50 in battles? Or maybe no instances? We sail and fight in the OW?

Do not expect anything new please. The switch has purely technical reasons: 32b unity 4.6 cannot build a game due to memory limitations. As a result adding new assets became impossible.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, admin said:

Do not expect anything new please. The switch has purely technical reasons: 32b unity 4.6 cannot build a game due to memory limitations. As a result adding new assets became impossible.

all good thanks

9 hours ago, admin said:

Expect the worst as usual. 

The worst would be sea monsters and zombie pirates ships, with magic fireball spells raining from the sky.

I really hope we should not expect that lol

• Like 4

14 hours ago, koltes said:

@admin does it means 50 vs 50 in battles? Or maybe no instances? We sail and fight in the OW?

Lol nope.. OW is not at same scale as battle instances.. To for OW battles properly we would have to have OW sailing at in battle speeds for Every Thing please no

10 hours ago, CaptVonGunn said:

Lol nope.. OW is not at same scale as battle instances.. To for OW battles properly we would have to have OW sailing at in battle speeds for Every Thing please no

25vs25 is enough

2 hours ago, rediii said:

The bigger the numbers the less difference they make.

How can that be a positive thing? "Yay im part of a 50 ships blob so doesnt matter if I dont perform well"

Oh and naval action isnt strictly an rvr game - its a sandbox. Back in the day, portbattles isnt the only thing that happened.

And lets not forget that there was also a time before the OW.

Edited by Liquicity
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, rediii said:

It's still not the only thing happening. The fact that you don't like it doesn't mean noone should like it.

I like to be being part of a blob and fighting another blob winning against a faction as I enjoy some small OW pvp. You don't, we all know that for some time now

Was just sort of confused  by your statement that the more numbers can join a battle, the better , because "it's an rvr game", when its a sandbox :)

8 minutes ago, Liquicity said:

How can that be a positive thing? "Yay im part of a 50 ships blob so doesnt matter if I dont perform well"

Oh and naval action isnt strictly an rvr game - its a sandbox. Back in the day, portbattles isnt the only thing that happened.

And lets not forget that there was also a time before the OW.

I can see the appeal, I imagine those involved would get an epic feeling that you simply cannot get from smaller battles. But I can also see issues, once it becomes obvious someone's going to lose, say it gets to 12-35 then it's probably going to lose its appeal to the 12.